Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Poque posted:

You could make a donation to Pirates Charities in her name. The team charities are all really good and focus a lot on community development.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/community/pirates-charities

Oh that’s a good idea, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Inspector_666 posted:

Calling team-specific blogs "homers" seems like it's redundant at best. It's literally their purpose.

Clearly you have never been a fan of a dog poo poo franchise because, for example, the Sac Kings SBNation blog (RIP) obliterated the ownership and management constantly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Clearly you have never been a fan of a dog poo poo franchise because, for example, the Sac Kings SBNation blog (RIP) obliterated the ownership and management constantly.

Well yeah, but that's different from "Our players are the best, actually" homerism.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The SBNation blog for the Mariners (Lookout Landing) 's logo is literally Richie Sexson facepalming in the dugout. This fanbase knows what it's about.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1262813129018400768

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Just awful news about Marte's wife, I can't even imagine how that must be for him.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm in line with the second option (hopefully with good pay for the players for the missed time), games without fans would be an absolutely surreal experience and would probably gently caress up the players a bunch.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There is no scenario where the virus is contained enough to allow normal fan attendance at baseball games this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

There is no scenario where the virus is contained enough to allow normal fan attendance at baseball games this year.

the virus isn't nearly contained enough to do any of the "opening up" that the entire country is doing right now and no one gives a poo poo

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

https://twitter.com/cdgoldstein/status/1262815541091340288

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

the virus isn't nearly contained enough to do any of the "opening up" that the entire country is doing right now and no one gives a poo poo
Maybe I should be more specific.

They might try it anyway of course. But one of two things will happen if they do. Either too many people will be scared of the virus and attendance will be dogshit, or the games quickly become a major source of new outbreaks and have to get shut down before they can run even half a season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The 2nd option is MLB effectively trying to pin this all on the "greedy" players. I gotta say it seems to be working. The casual sports fan thinks players are demanding full pay, not realizing they are just looking to be paid pro-rated.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Hey, I am looking to track down an old magazine cover I am half remembering. I think maybe it is a Baseball America cover. Might be SI. Anyway, it features the Royals in like fake fatigues and in a trench I think. Pretty sure Tony Muser is in it and someone is holding grenades I think. Any ideas? Ring any bells?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Maybe I should be more specific.

They might try it anyway of course. But one of two things will happen if they do. Either too many people will be scared of the virus and attendance will be dogshit, or the games quickly become a major source of new outbreaks and have to get shut down before they can run even half a season.

You know in your heart it'll be the second one

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Game 6 of the 2011 World Series is on ESPN right now, and honestly I liked the 10th inning more than the 9th or 11th that game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Troy Queef posted:

Game 6 of the 2011 World Series is on ESPN right now, and honestly I liked the 10th inning more than the 9th or 11th that game

Everyone who loves that game deserves to be thrown in a tub of poo poo forever until I'm done crying.

I'll never stop.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Looking forward to the union and MLB as a whole caving to chud states and listening to the cacophony of labored coughs in every roofed stadium during the broadcast.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Everyone who loves that game deserves to be thrown in a tub of poo poo forever until I'm done crying.

I'll never stop.

just now on ESPN, Joe Buck said WE WILL SEE YOU...TOMORROW NIGHT!

(i've actually broadcasted a baseball game from David Freese Stadium, Home Of Ryan Howard Field)

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Shinjobi posted:

I'll never stop.

That game ruled

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I'm forever annoyed my hatred of the cards makes me unable to enjoy that game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Players should agree to the revenue sharing model that the owners proposed, but only if it continues for the next 5 seasons.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

I'll never stop.

Daniel Delasco, Jon Jay and the pitchers spot leading off the inning while down 2

Oof, I couldn't believe it

e: Even now that the Astros are in the AL west I'd root for the Rangers in the WS so this was a bummer

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 20, 2020

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
https://twitter.com/DustinGiebel/status/1262786930321874945

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

:perfect:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:hmmyes:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Poque posted:

How is Super Mega Baseball 3's online franchise mode? Like, is it conducive to having a real-life person associated with all of the teams? I'm having trouble finding info about it anywhere.

I think you can have two people play on the same team, but that's it at the moment. I think they said they are working on more options for expanding this though. I can't find it right now.

It's a really cool game though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:negative:

https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/1262924111615070211

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of cheaters:

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1263073234297081856

:lol::lol::lol:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Some of the Cubs fans I know are still butthurt over the 2006 Series. "They only won 83 games, it doesn't count!!!" :cry:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

WaryWarren posted:

Some of the Cubs fans I know are still butthurt over the 2006 Series. "They only won 83 games, it doesn't count!!!" :cry:

If nothing else it’s an insult to that lineup that they won in 2006 with 83 wins rather than either of their juggernaut years preceding it. Then again, a lineup with Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds and Yadi and a rotation anchored by Chris Carpenter not winning any WS at all would have been worse.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Hi baseball goons I have a rules question that is probably stupid!

There are two outs

Runner on 2nd

Batter hits it into play and the runner on 2nd gets thrown out advancing to 3rd.

If it makes a difference, there were no errors on the play.

is that a hit?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
No, fielder’s choice

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Woofer posted:

Hi baseball goons I have a rules question that is probably stupid!

There are two outs

Runner on 2nd

Batter hits it into play and the runner on 2nd gets thrown out advancing to 3rd.

If it makes a difference, there were no errors on the play.

is that a hit?

That is a fielder's choice and probably both bad baserunning and a bad decision by the fielder.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
With two outs the guy on 2B is almost always going to be on the move once the ball is in play, even on a routine pop-up, so the situations where he gets thrown out at 3B are really situational. Like maybe if the hitter is an extremely speedy LHH and the ball is grounded hard to the 3B side, it'd easier to just tag out the guy from second in a rundown vs try to make a play at 1B? Not too many situations come to mind.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://theathletic.com/1818378/2020/05/20/what-if-the-mlbpa-hadnt-spiked-the-a-rod-to-boston-deal/

Apparently the MLBPA nuked an ARod to Boston trade which is interesting because

a) ARod on Boston would have been very spicy
b) I wasn't aware the MLBPA had the power to nuke trades

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They were able to nuke that trade because the A-Rod's total compensation would have been less with the new contract than it was with the Rangers and you need the MLBPAs approval to reduce the total value of a contract.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://theathletic.com/1818378/2020/05/20/what-if-the-mlbpa-hadnt-spiked-the-a-rod-to-boston-deal/

Apparently the MLBPA nuked an ARod to Boston trade which is interesting because

a) ARod on Boston would have been very spicy
b) I wasn't aware the MLBPA had the power to nuke trades

This was pretty widely reported at the time, wasn't it?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yes

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
There’s a 30 for 30 short about it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As I recall, it resulted in an exec for Boston smashing a chair, followed by the Yankees acquiring him and releasing an extremely passive aggressive statement about how it's a shame the Bosox can't give their fanbase what they want.

If I believed in karma, I'd say they sorta asked for what happened next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Is Taiwanese baseball streamable anywhere? I may need to have it in my life soon.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1263146520645419010?s=20