Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

poetry, rhymes, etc

My Name is Abrams and Im Here to Say
The Original Trilogy in a Much Worse Way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Barudak posted:

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Back to TFA, doesn't Rey call the Falcon a piece of junk only to then SQUEE about how it's THE Millennium Falcon?

I could be remembering it wrong. I only saw TFA once, and that was it for me and the sequel trilogy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

New thread title!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Back to TFA, doesn't Rey call the Falcon a piece of junk only to then SQUEE about how it's THE Millennium Falcon?

I could be remembering it wrong. I only saw TFA once, and that was it for me and the sequel trilogy.

Yes, Rey turns into a Star Wars Fan when Han Solo shows up, who’s suddenly very knowledgeable about the events of the Star Wars Film Franchise despite living along on a backwater desert world her whole life.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, Rey turns into a Star Wars Fan when Han Solo shows up, who’s suddenly very knowledgeable about the events of the Star Wars Film Franchise despite living along on a backwater desert world her whole life.

Just lmao

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Barudak posted:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

nine-gear crow posted:

The Force told her!

The Force is like the Internet.

We are all Force users.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

She knows of Han as a legendary smuggler presumable because she grew up at a scavenger post that is frequented by smugglers and other shady types. Finn knows of Han as a general in the Rebellion presumably as part of his indoctrination where Han would be portrayed as a villain who helped bring disorder to the galaxy. Both are a bit surprised to find out he's a real person and the piece of junk they're on is the legendary Millennium Falcon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im still flummoxed by the whole bit of them finding the Falcon because its another one of those things where the sequel trilogy expects you to intensely identify with the OT but not remember anything that happened in it or treat humans as having a society apart from it.

A much better use of the falcon would be to have it show up later amongst Hans collection of ships on the Nirvana(?) he pilots in the movie (or ideally) as a background piece in a museum wideshot as a subtle nod.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 21, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I honestly have no idea what Disney & Co. were planning with the Sequel Trilogy outside of capitalize on OT ties, and produce a movie based on the IP. After seeing TFA, I NOPE'D out of the Sequel Trilogy. I was quite impressed that Disney managed to kill my interest in Star Wars, but my wallet is incredibly grateful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They had a plan but that fucker bob igar rusher the whole thing and caused a ripple effect that couldn’t be stopped.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I actually watched Rise of Skywalker the other day and holy God that film was bad. Every single shot and sequence felt like it was playing at 1.2x speed. The loving Greg Grunberg dramatic death. Kylo saying 'ow.' Palpatine shooting lightning into the sky. I AM ALL THE JEDI. Just a horrible film.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The "light speed skipping" or whatever the gently caress they called it was a straight up lift of the jumping bit from Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I'm surprised they didn't have a Stan Lee cameo where he was talking to George Lucas about how their creations were totally out of control now

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

They had a plan but that fucker bob igar rusher the whole thing and caused a ripple effect that couldn’t be stopped.

Did they, though? It seems like they had an idea of what they wanted their main characters to look like, but nothing about who they should be, what they should fight for, and how they fit in the story. Having two directors take big meaty shits on their counterparts' films didn't help, either.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They had a script they scrapped and rewrote, and I think it got done just under the wire which is why JJ had it pushed back to Christmas.

Johnson was writing and shooting TLJ before they finished TFA which was pretty heavily edited and re-edited before release.

But I wasn’t there. There’s that quote that Iger says he rushed TFA and I think that snowballed into everything.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I could just be looking at it in an overly cynical sort of way. I just remember getting into the movie theater and constantly wondering what the gently caress I was watching. It just felt like set pieces were being fetishized (the Millennium Falcon, Vader's burned mask, the Rebel Pilot helmet, Anakin's lightsaber), and that their inclusion was far more important than telling a story about the characters and the galaxy. Rey scavenging in the downed Star Destroyer is a pretty good analogy for how I felt about that movie. It was stripping the OT for parts to sell to the audience.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

An interesting note because I’m watching the making of TLJ, is that Rian says when he saw TFA and wrote down their names and what he knew about them.

Honestly if you really think about it, there wasn’t a whole lot in TFA. Kylo is probably the only one who felt three dimensional.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

TFA is a really bad movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It tricks you. It really does. I still enjoy it because it’s dumb Star Wars and hits some cool notes but taken on its own it’s just very light on everything.

Writing a sequel to that would’ve been hard.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I dunno. It didn't trick me, but I'm also a Star Trek fan and saw what JJ did to it. I thought he might treat his first love better, but lmao that he did worse by it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The obvious sequel to TFA seemed to be a bit of a character study episode where Rey gets trained by Luke, examining what it is to be a 'reformed Jedi' or whatever, and Kylo gets trained by Snoke so we can get some idea of what it is to be a dark side user who isn't a Sith. Then, they fight and they end up inverted, then Ren has to team up with his former enemies to save Rey and the galaxy or some poo poo in Episode 9.

Meanwhile, uh, Finn and Poe and Hux and Leia and Chewie and BB-8 and R2D2 and C3PO all have to do... something... I guess? :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I dunno. It didn't trick me, but I'm also a Star Trek fan and saw what JJ did to it. I thought he might treat his first love better, but lmao that he did worse by it.

Unfortunately, there's a certain kind of creative direction that's worse the more the director is invested in it, because they can't see the flaws and pitfalls and/or consider them to be good.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's great how, based purely on the movies he made, you'd assume JJ is a casual fan of Star Trek who didn't quite get the nuances right, but has nothing but contempt for Star Wars and just threw some crap together to get it out the way.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

It's great how, based purely on the movies he made, you'd assume JJ is a casual fan of Star Trek who didn't quite get the nuances right, but has nothing but contempt for Star Wars and just threw some crap together to get it out the way.

Uh, i dont know what post you think you read, but that's not what i wrote at all. He's been pretty open about how huge a fan he is of Star Wars. He was such a big fan that he put a bunch of Star Wars easter eggs in Star Trek, like Pike saying " Punch it" to tell Sulu to go to warp speed, and the way Kirk''s escape pod spirals down to Delta Vega.

So. Lmao.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Sorry, I meant 'one would assume', not you specifically.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

Sorry, I meant 'one would assume', not you specifically.

I see, my bad

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It’s nuts how much I love watching Super 8 and Star Trek 2009 and then everything else JJ did was garbage.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I still like Cloverfield. Less for the overall story, but more for Lizzy Caplan being awesome and the ridiculousness of Jessica Lucas walking barefoot through a ruined NYC.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He just produced that. Drew Goddard and Matt Reeves are the reason why that film worked.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

That makes a lot of sense.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
JJ Abrams built his career on on "Attach his name to a ton of projects, and somehow get people to only remember the good ones"

"From the man who brought you Alcatraz and What About Brian...Star Wars."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

JJ Abrams built his career on on "Attach his name to a ton of projects, and somehow get people to only remember the good ones"

"From the man who brought you Alcatraz and What About Brian...Star Wars."

People still praise/blame Abrams for :lost: when all he did was just like write the pilot or sit in on the pitch meeting and then threw the keys to Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse and went off to go idea farm other poo poo.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

nine-gear crow posted:

People still praise/blame Abrams for :lost: when all he did was just like write the pilot or sit in on the pitch meeting and then threw the keys to Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse and went off to go idea farm other poo poo.

Yyyyyyyep.

ABC wanted "Survivor, but scripted." They had Aaron Spelling's production company take a pass at it, it sucked.

Alias was the only thing ABC had that was in, like, the Top 50 rated shows at the time, so they let Abrams take a shot at it. (This is where Abrams made his one genuinely good creative call, which was telling the network "Survivor, but scripted" would just be boring, it needed another hook.)

Lindelof was a staff writer on Crossing Jordan and had his agent beg ABC/Bad Robot for a chance to join Alias. They said he could work with Abrams, but on this new project instead.

As Lindelof tells it now, Abrams was the guy who said "Alright, what if there were polar bears in the jungle? What if there's a monster? What if there's an escape hatch in the ground?" They're writing the pilot script and developing the series bible and Lindelof keeps saying "Okay, these are good hooks, but why are those things on the island?" And Abrams said "This show is too expensive, and it's going to get cancelled; we'll worry about the answers if we ever get to it."

They shoot the pilot, then Abrams exits pretty much immediately to make Mission Impossible 3 and leaves the 31 year old guy who has like maybe a dozen writing credits to his name alone, running a massive show shooting on location in Hawaii. Lindelof himself had to call in Cuse, his old boss from Nash Bridges, to say "I am in way over my head here, please teach me how to make a TV show."

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
LENSE FLAIRS LENSE FLAIRS LENSE FLAIRS

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JethroMcB posted:

As Lindelof tells it now, Abrams was the guy who said "Alright, what if there were polar bears in the jungle? What if there's a monster? What if there's an escape hatch in the ground?" They're writing the pilot script and developing the series bible and Lindelof keeps saying "Okay, these are good hooks, but why are those things on the island?" And Abrams said "This show is too expensive, and it's going to get cancelled; we'll worry about the answers if we ever get to it."

Sounds like he was right :shrug:? I didn't watch Lost but I do remember that it very got canceled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Some Goon posted:

Sounds like he was right :shrug:? I didn't watch Lost but I do remember that it very got canceled.

It got six seasons and it ended on its own terms even after ABC begged them to keep it going for another like three years. Lost went out on basically at the top of the world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It got six seasons and it ended on its own terms even after ABC begged them to keep it going for another like three years. Lost went out on basically at the top of the world.

It has a real bad ending but nobody at ABC cares, you (America), watched all that poo poo for 6 years

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

It was the Twin Peaks or Game of Thrones of its era. Everyone talked about it. It was insufferable. Then that ending happened.

l m a o
m
a
o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Lost was really good and the ending was good

Lindelof and Cuse did a good job of salvaging Abrams' mystery box