Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Tyra earned her win fair and square. It helped that she had immunity on the challenges when she did poorly - so she did get lucky to not land in the bottom, but that's how the game worked. I don't think she was awarded wins she didn't deserve, even if she was acting like a brat, she still delivered.

Raven is super mean on S2, but that's also what production was asking her to give them. It was a different show back then, much more inspired by other reality shows of the same time. The queens were messy and mean and watching them fight was part of the show - like real housewives stuff. There's also a lot more transphobia and some weird views on femininity and probably lots else to raise an eyebrow at. I still enjoy it but YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Read After Burning posted:

We were doing re-watch of Season 6, and seeing some queens no doubt mess up their entrance looks by jumping into foam pit (or the water photoshoot from S5) made me think of how mundane the mini-challenges have seemed lately.

I think my fave embarrassing entrance day photo shoot is S4's 'stand on this rotating platform while we spray you with neon paint'.

Bring Back Mike Ruiz.

e: ^^ i'm like 80% sure purposefully did the bare minimum to not land in the bottom on weeks she had immunity. which is lowkey a boss bitch move and i love it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The real winners of RPDR have always been the queens who best capitalized on their TV appearance. There's a reason every queen releases a music video immediately after they're eliminated. Because Willam was the first to do that and it launched her media empire.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tyra killed her final LSFYL, unlike Raven.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Tyra was a mess and a half backstage but always rose to the occasion in the challenges when she had to, back when that mattered more than a sympathetic storyline. As a big believer in doing the bare minimum, also, I don't begrudge her coasting on immunity. It was just smart play.

Re Jaida, I feel like she's one of the few queens ever on this show of whom Dorian Corey would have unqualifiedly approved, and therefore deserves the win just for herstory's sake. (Besides she's just loving great.)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

A God drat Ghost posted:

It was a different show back then, much more inspired by other reality shows of the same time. The queens were messy and mean and watching them fight was part of the show - like real housewives stuff. There's also a lot more transphobia and some weird views on femininity and probably lots else to raise an eyebrow at. I still enjoy it but YMMV.

Ooh, yeah, the half-season or so of S3 that I've watched made me really uncomfortable for this. Even if it was played up for TV (or edited as is apparently the case with S5 and making Jinkx seem more passive than she apparently actually was), that season in particular seemed just so mean-spirited. I think that can have its place, but other times I DO want Rupaul's Best Friends Race. :colbert:

Forgot to mention ms. Henny on my All Stars cast list as well! The "Meet in the Ladies Room" lip sync is A+

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

Tyra killed her final LSFYL, unlike Raven.

Deadass as soon as Tyra started spinning, I knew she won. All season without ever seeing her LSFYL and she just transformed in front of the camera immediately. And then going up to the judges table to seal the deal? loving iconic.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Trade of the season

https://twitter.com/jaidaehall/status/1262361075443433472

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Poulpe posted:

2. Crystal was read almost immediately for her same same makeup that covered her face entirely and yet here we are, at the finale, and Sherry is still painting like Homer's makeup gun week after week and nobody is bringing it up. I think she's just this season's "big girl" free ride to the top 4.
I'm so glad that Trev R. Project isn't really in this series, I find the way they do their lips to be truly horrifying.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Read After Burning posted:

Ooh, yeah, the half-season or so of S3 that I've watched made me really uncomfortable for this. Even if it was played up for TV (or edited as is apparently the case with S5 and making Jinkx seem more passive than she apparently actually was), that season in particular seemed just so mean-spirited. I think that can have its place, but other times I DO want Rupaul's Best Friends Race. :colbert:

Forgot to mention ms. Henny on my All Stars cast list as well! The "Meet in the Ladies Room" lip sync is A+

I get that. The Heathers vs Boogers thing was kinda weird. I love a good Heathers reference but sometimes it felt a little too much, like they were honestly just being the mean gays.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The S2 drama was alright because everyone was able to stand up for themselves. The S3 drama is awful because it was mostly one sided bullying, especially after Shangela was eliminated

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Poulpe posted:

I think immunity was for the following episode when you won the main challenge, and Tyra was a large part of the reason they stopped doing that.

Canon reason is Alyssa bombing Snatch Game. After Alyssa’s Katy Perry when she had Immunity it was never awarded again.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Season 2 was weird as hell because it was so difficult. Seemed like every challenge was a design challenge.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You might be thinking of season 3. Season 2 had a decent amount of design challenges, three or maybe four? but it had a pretty big variety of challenges.

Season 3 however had the hell weeks that was ball challenge > makeover > ball challenge. And there had already been like 3 design challenges before those lmfao.

In general the show had a lot more design challenges overall back then, but season 3 is known as the one that made the queens bust their asses the longest. It's also the season with the most episodes (sixteen!) and an even longer filming schedule on top of that, since they had to take a break partway through.

Like there's a reason Yara broke the gently caress down during her lip sync and just gave up lmfao. They were all exhausted.

e: granted one of those episodes is the casting special, and they still did Rupaul Rewind back then

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

esperterra posted:

In general the show had a lot more design challenges overall back then, but season 3 is known as the one that made the queens bust their asses the longest. It's also the season with the most episodes (sixteen!) and an even longer filming schedule on top of that, since they had to take a break partway through.

Just found out about the month long break between challenges 2 and 3. Apparently, it was because the Mimi/Shangela fight got seriously physical, and production had to figure out the legal ramifications. And to think they immediately come back and Mimi picks up India, rofl.

esperterra posted:

Like there's a reason Yara broke the gently caress down during her lip sync and just gave up lmfao. They were all exhausted.

The top 4's faces when they find out the challenge is another design one is priceless.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Online drag shows are KILLING. IT.

Last night, Chicago favorite Denali showed this absolutely DEVASTATING video during "Plot Twist" (two parts, hopefully they both show up):

https://twitter.com/denalifox/status/1263146150560964608

Dead. DEAD.

(The full show is here, first queen at approx 33 min in. There was SO MUCH GOOD, everyone: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/626284445)

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

You were there too?!?!! Wasn't it FANTASTIC?
Denali is a legend and I love her! :)

Other highlights included Lo-Ti-On living out the American Idol dream (1:14:10), Aunty Chan's take on Reflection (1:27:52), Chanel Mercedes-Benz's version of the fight scene in Marriage Story (38:29), and Abhijeet portraying the monkey that kidnapped a child (1:05:15, guest starring Aunty Chan and Abhi's roommate :)

Hooray! I love Chicago Drag!!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Tenderoni has my heart until my dying day.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Pinwiz11 posted:

Online drag shows are KILLING. IT.

Last night, Chicago favorite Denali showed this absolutely DEVASTATING video during "Plot Twist" (two parts, hopefully they both show up):

https://twitter.com/denalifox/status/1263146150560964608

Dead. DEAD.

(The full show is here, first queen at approx 33 min in. There was SO MUCH GOOD, everyone: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/626284445)

Online drag shows are amazing. And I can tip more with venmo. And there are no Bachelorette parties.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

GrandmaParty posted:

And I can tip more with venmo.

This.

Not having to pay cover/buy drinks increases what I can tip. I just wish TRex had a global tip option like Biqtch Puddin... I'd rather throw out a larger sum to the pool and then add extra tips if someone blows me away. (Also, I won't feel bad if I go to sleep after that.)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

gandlethorpe posted:

Crowning a queen who bombed the political challenge for not being engaged in politics on a season that ends every episode with a sign saying vote would be quite 2020.

I feel like it would make her less likely to call Ru out for the fracking so her equity has gone up. And I can see them considering her a good representation for the quarantine drag scene.

After being Team Asia and Team A'keria I'm just resigned to the black pageant queen losing at this point.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I wonder if Gigi even knew who AOC was, lol

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Official trailer for AS5 with details about the new format

https://twitter.com/RuPaulsDragRace/status/1263507344538779650

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

League of Lip Sync Assassins

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm honestly kind of tired of Season 12, it's just got so much going against it. Bring on AS5 and DRCAN.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

angerbeet posted:

I'm honestly kind of tired of Season 12, it's just got so much going against it. Bring on AS5 and DRCAN.

I think it's been pretty decent overall! The pie kind of besmirched it but there was a group of very solid queens this time round!
This time of season always kind of sucks though, the final episode always devolves into "wow you're all so amazing and perfect but one of you is LESS perfect" and it stops feeling like a competition because they just handpick whoever they want to see in the top 4.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
The last one or two episodes before the crowning are always, imo, pretty ho-hum. There's no conflict and a lot of the queens who made the workroom fun have gone home, it feels kinda empty. This season is obviously worse than usual for that.

But I think season 12 is a really great group of queens.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I don't actually bother to watch the penultimate episodes in its entirety anymore. As said earlier they're all just formalities and you could always tell who's going home before the episode started.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

blizzardvizard posted:

I don't actually bother to watch the penultimate episodes in its entirety anymore. As said earlier they're all just formalities and you could always tell who's going home before the episode started.

What, you weren’t excited for My Best Squirrelfriend's Dragsmaids Wedding Trip?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've decided to stop watching We're Here. The appeal of Bob and Shangela is simply just not enough to overcome how bad the rest of the show is.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The main thing keeping me interested is wonderhing how they're going to end it. The reunion should be interesting at least:

https://twitter.com/RuPaulsDragRace/status/1263900182275485696

Love that they playfully acknowledge the disqualification

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can't see it being interesting tbh

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I don't really care for the reunions but I'm watching Heidi at the virtual Roscoe's viewing party so it all works.

e: RU WHAT THE HELL IS ON YOUR FACE?

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 23, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The reunion will be lip syncs to 5 songs from the queens' homes. Hmm.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Holy poo poo that "13th on a 12 person season" might be one of the most brutal reads on this show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Shneak posted:

Holy poo poo that "13th on a 12 person season" might be one of the most brutal reads on this show.

I yelled at that moment. Amazing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

good god what is on ru's face

i'm amazed he didn't have raven come over and jush him up

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Ru looked so dead behind the eyes during this reunion. What do you think they were on?

Gotta say this reunion wasn’t too bad!

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Very fun episode, apart from the gaggery of Ru's look. Common girl have some self respect!

Gigi and Crystal pulled a very good 'Look over there' when asked if they were a thing too. I wanna know dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is a fun reunion.