Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Seeking podcasts that have rowdy energy. Podcasts i connect with are things like chapo, the dollop, ltpol. Not sure of content I am looking for. Should be conversational but I'd also like an informational component I can talk to others about. History or science or something, probably not politics and definately not more magick, aliens, or cults. And probably not movies or video games. Seeking something i can play while doing my remote job to use as an other people talking simulator but i can come away with with something to talk to people about.

and though I actually like a degree of worldly cynicism... need it to not to be super depressing right now. I keep going into funks of being unable to do much after work for days at a time.

Sorry this is vague. Seeking vibe more than topic. Tried episode one for a few episodes but seems I'm not into something that random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Behind the Bastards? (They’re always throwing bagels and poo poo)
Conan o’brien needs a friend?
Gossipmongers?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

TrueAnon, Antifada, I don't even own a Television, NeoScum (RPG Let's Play, lots of people talking), Not another D&D Podcast (RPG Let's Play),

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is just a random recommendation but I’m kind of liking the Adam & Norm Podcast. It’s two guys from Newcastle England just joking about whatever but with adorable accents.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lions led by Donkeys

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Seeking podcasts that have rowdy energy. Podcasts i connect with are things like chapo, the dollop, ltpol. Not sure of content I am looking for. Should be conversational but I'd also like an informational component I can talk to others about. History or science or something, probably not politics and definately not more magick, aliens, or cults. And probably not movies or video games. Seeking something i can play while doing my remote job to use as an other people talking simulator but i can come away with with something to talk to people about.

and though I actually like a degree of worldly cynicism... need it to not to be super depressing right now. I keep going into funks of being unable to do much after work for days at a time.

Sorry this is vague. Seeking vibe more than topic. Tried episode one for a few episodes but seems I'm not into something that random.

It's long dead by now, but Caustic Soda might be a good fit. It's three guys discussing gross, deadly, dangerous, etc. things/topics in a lighthearted humorous fashion. They would also do research to make it informational at the same time, and would sometimes bring on qualified experts as guests. It was one of my favourite podcasts back when it was still going, but of course you'd have to filter out the episodes that cover particularly depressing topics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My Favorite Murder could be just what you're looking for. Even though it's a true crime podcast they're remarkably good about keeping an upbeat energy without being disrespectful to the people they're talking about.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

New Ringet podcast Boom/bust seems good so far. And it’s about HQ trivia, so we were all obsessed with that. Or maybe just me?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Snowmankilla posted:

New Ringet podcast Boom/bust seems good so far. And it’s about HQ trivia, so we were all obsessed with that. Or maybe just me?

I was very curious about how they made any money.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The latest Bugle is a work of loving art.

Nish Kumar "Dominic Raab has the vibe of someone who has definitely murdered...I can't prove that, allegedly, allegedly, citation needed, allegedly, but he has that vibe."

Andy Zaltzman "Through this Boris Johnson has been floundering around like a lactose-intolerant arachnophobe who's forgotten his safe word at a cheese and spiders fetish club."

Alice Fraser "Australians have left lockdown and now are treating each other like ooo I 'm going to use your leg like a stripper pole."

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gimme some mental health related podcasts that deal with covid poo poo and lonliness

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Bugle is still going on? I used to listen to it but I thought they stopped when the one guy got a real job

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Gimme some mental health related podcasts that deal with covid poo poo and lonliness

Call in to Stavvy's show and talk about your problems, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7bouvhSTd2RQwYOi7zq0hQ (also on Twitch)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gripweed posted:

The Bugle is still going on? I used to listen to it but I thought they stopped when the one guy got a real job

Oh it's still going strong. It's on Spotify now too.

The Last Post is a crazed Aussie comedian doing a daily ten to fifteen-minute program from an alternate dimension which has Octopus tribes storming New New Zealand, a group of Picts that have been hiding in the London Underground finally coming back to the surface now that Brexit has kicked all foreigners away from England, the Italian government being run by the Wiggles, and Bob the sentient pile of oceanic plastic running for President in the United States.

https://thebuglepodcast.com

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

mike12345 posted:

Call in to Stavvy's show and talk about your problems, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7bouvhSTd2RQwYOi7zq0hQ (also on Twitch)

Hmmm no I don;t think so

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 25, 2020

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Mental Illness Happy Hour sounds like just the thing you're looking for.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I am finding Our Plague Year to be useful in processing what is happening, but it's probably only adjacent to what you're asking for.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’ve been enjoying the latest season of Someone Knows Something

As a Canadian David Ridgen’s smooth Ontario accent just sits really well and puts me in that happy place. The first episode is slow but really picks up in the second

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Are there any good debate podcasts?

Specifically debates that aren't about whether Optimus Prime could defeat Darkwing Duck or whatever. I know there are a few pop culture debate podcasts, but I'm not really interested.

I've been listening to The Atheist Experience after it being recommended here, but the problem I have with it is that only the host is at all prepared to debate, and 90% of callers never get past their opening argument because the hosts adhere so strictly to the rules of debate. Which is fine, like, I'm cool with that and would be really happy to see an actual debate happen, but it almost never does. I'd prefer to listen to debates about religion, racism, gender descrimination, LGBT stuff, etc.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

credburn posted:

Are there any good debate podcasts?

Specifically debates that aren't about whether Optimus Prime could defeat Darkwing Duck or whatever. I know there are a few pop culture debate podcasts, but I'm not really interested.

I've been listening to The Atheist Experience after it being recommended here, but the problem I have with it is that only the host is at all prepared to debate, and 90% of callers never get past their opening argument because the hosts adhere so strictly to the rules of debate. Which is fine, like, I'm cool with that and would be really happy to see an actual debate happen, but it almost never does. I'd prefer to listen to debates about religion, racism, gender descrimination, LGBT stuff, etc.

BBC's Moral Maze.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Cross Examined Life is the only other one I can think of.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Intelligence Squared is another debate show

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Thanks, guys, these are just what I was looking for!

These seem really obvious, and have been long-established. I wish these would be the top results when I try and search for debate podcasts instead of Joe Rogan followed by endless Marvel podcasts.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I wanted to post this on the Marc Maron WTF thread. But it’s been archived.
It’s been just short of 2 years since I last listened to his podcast.
He interviewed Seinfeld this week and it’s pretty interesting. Though Maron seemed a bit frustrated that he couldn’t dig deeper into Jerry’s emotional state. But maybe that’s just Jerry.

Anyway, I didn’t know Marc’s girlfriend died not even a month ago. He didn’t give himself much of a break.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mrfart posted:

I wanted to post this on the Marc Maron WTF thread. But it’s been archived.
It’s been just short of 2 years since I last listened to his podcast.
He interviewed Seinfeld this week and it’s pretty interesting. Though Maron seemed a bit frustrated that he couldn’t dig deeper into Jerry’s emotional state. But maybe that’s just Jerry.

Anyway, I didn’t know Marc’s girlfriend died not even a month ago. He didn’t give himself much of a break.

I watched all of Seinfeld's Coffee Car Comedian show and he doesn't come off as a rather empathetic man. Not malicious or anything, but I seriously don't think he sympathizes with a whole lot of other people. I don't think it's just a rich dude thing, I think that's just him, just not really on the average wavelength of humanity.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I watched all of Seinfeld's Coffee Car Comedian show and he doesn't come off as a rather empathetic man. Not malicious or anything, but I seriously don't think he sympathizes with a whole lot of other people. I don't think it's just a rich dude thing, I think that's just him, just not really on the average wavelength of humanity.

Guess that's why he didn't have a problem dating a 17 year old when he was 38. Just not on the same wavelength as the rest of humanity.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I think a few years ago Seinfeld got into some hot water for saying he thinks he's somewhere on the spectrum or something. IIRC, he said it in a way that made him seem pretty out of touch.

e: Not actual hot water. That stuff never seems to stick to him.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Seinfeld's been rich, beloved, and carefree for so long that he looks around and wonders "what's the big deal with X, things seem pretty alright to me" about pretty much everything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Your only value to him is how funny you are. If you’re not able to make him laugh, he has little interest in you. That’s the vibe I’ve always got from watching Triple-C.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Azathoth posted:

Guess that's why he didn't have a problem dating a 17 year old when he was 38. Just not on the same wavelength as the rest of humanity.

Cool, maybe you could tell us about John Lennon and Matthew Broderick to complete the tedious buzzkill getting a little thrill out of ruining a conversation bingo.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

Cool, maybe you could tell us about John Lennon and Matthew Broderick to complete the tedious buzzkill getting a little thrill out of ruining a conversation bingo.

If you wanna enjoy something by a sexual predator, that's your business, but don't pretend like me pointing out the fact that he's a sexual predator is the problem here.

To get things back on track, care to recommend me a podcast that breaks down the oeuvre of Roman Polanski? Or maybe an episode by episode rewatch or Louie?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Your only value to him is how funny you are. If you’re not able to make him laugh, he has little interest in you. That’s the vibe I’ve always got from watching Triple-C.

That's exactly it and he's really serious about that, it's not just a gimmick.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I think a few years ago Seinfeld got into some hot water for saying he thinks he's somewhere on the spectrum or something. IIRC, he said it in a way that made him seem pretty out of touch.

e: Not actual hot water. That stuff never seems to stick to him.

I don't want to internet-diagnose someone but that wouldn't surprise me all that much.

Azathoth posted:

That's probably just a rich dude thing. It's pretty common with that lovely demographic.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
On a very different note,
I’m listening to Forgotten women of Juárez, about the murders of young women in the city south of El Paso , and the police completely loving up the investigation for years. it’s heavy, as you might expect. But also well made, and genuinely intriguing, since I don’t know anything about the events, and I can’t wait for the next episode.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Marc Maron talk: he interviewed Stacy Abrams. It's worth a listen!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mrfart posted:

On a very different note,
I’m listening to Forgotten women of Juárez, about the murders of young women in the city south of El Paso , and the police completely loving up the investigation for years. it’s heavy, as you might expect. But also well made, and genuinely intriguing, since I don’t know anything about the events, and I can’t wait for the next episode.

Ever since I found this subforum I've been astonished that there isn't a constantly near the top thread dedicated to just murders n' true crime.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

theironjef posted:

Ever since I found this subforum I've been astonished that there isn't a constantly near the top thread dedicated to just murders n' true crime.

That's fair. I think like half of my stuff is connected to that topic. why not make that thread?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TV Zombie posted:

That's fair. I think like half of my stuff is connected to that topic. why not make that thread?

Someone ought to, not me though. I like movie reviews, weird history, and tabletop RPG stuff. I just notice that half or more of this thread is murders and crime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can anyone recommend some particular funny podcasts. Like humor based or just genuinely funny people discussing things. I've enjoyed stuff like We Hate Movies but would like to branch out. D&D podcasts preferably excluded since I am super burned out on those.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ImpAtom posted:

Can anyone recommend some particular funny podcasts. Like humor based or just genuinely funny people discussing things. I've enjoyed stuff like We Hate Movies but would like to branch out. D&D podcasts preferably excluded since I am super burned out on those.

What A Time To Be Alive can be pretty good. It's three comedians talking about the five strangest or funniest news stories in the past week. They stay away from politics or situations where people died, unless it's very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If you like stories about criminals, definitely check out Crime in Sports. Each episode, they tackle a criminal athlete ranging from the super famous (Scottie Pippen) to ones well known to fans but who aren't as well known (Mark "Gator" Rogowski) to absolutely unknown athletes with insane stories (Buck Zumhofe).

Also, it's very important to say this: zero knowledge of sports is required to fully enjoy this. It isn't about the sports, that's just a backdrop for the story of these people's lives and how they became criminals. They do really extensive research, like digging through court documents deep, and really tell good stories as well.

I'm a casual sports fan, and I find that their best episodes aren't the ones where it's a famous athlete. If you want to know if you'll like it, check out #156 The King Of Rikers Island - The Unflinchingness of Mitch "Blood" Green. You'll know pretty quick if it's something you'll enjoy.