Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
What is a bung in this situation? I'm imagining it has solid material on both sides of the wall, but I thought a bung was something like a cork. Also, what does the figure-8 shaped setup that fell over normally do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

taqueso posted:

What is a bung in this situation? I'm imagining it has solid material on both sides of the wall, but I thought a bung was something like a cork. Also, what does the figure-8 shaped setup that fell over normally do?

a bung is the thing the cork sticks in to

insta
Jan 28, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a bung is the thing the cork sticks in to

That's the bunghole, sir.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No that's a bunghole, as in the famous liquor store known as bunghole liquors

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

um excuse me posted:

A bung is definitely a recommended load bearing interface.

As a boiler and pressure vessel inspector, I've gotta say: that's not optimal.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

Sorry, I guess bunghole, or port, would have been more apt. It's a resin tank for composite injection. It holds the overflow resin in a pressure injection process. The resin usually runs a few hundred PSI at about 300°F. It's a nasty sight when a line bursts and sprays someone, I can't imagine what a tank like that in service would do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's a pretty good example of a weld being really strong but the process of welding weakening the surrounding metal.

Re: Jack stands: Do yourself a favor and get a pair of ESCO jack stands. My car weighs 1.5 tons and each jack stand is rated for 3 tons for a total of 6 tons with the set. They are expensive, but worth it. Especially on my stupid BMW that has jack points that you need an adapter for. To top of the jack stand is the same thing on the jack itself. It comes with removable rubber pads that you can use for lifting with pinch welds or a flat metal surface. I got a cheap harbor freight jack because I'm not under the car while jacking it up. I spent money on the jack stands because my life depends on them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cojawfee posted:

That's a pretty good example of a weld being really strong but the process of welding weakening the surrounding metal.

Re: Jack stands: Do yourself a favor and get a pair of ESCO jack stands. My car weighs 1.5 tons and each jack stand is rated for 3 tons for a total of 6 tons with the set. They are expensive, but worth it. Especially on my stupid BMW that has jack points that you need an adapter for. To top of the jack stand is the same thing on the jack itself. It comes with removable rubber pads that you can use for lifting with pinch welds or a flat metal surface. I got a cheap harbor freight jack because I'm not under the car while jacking it up. I spent money on the jack stands because my life depends on them.

It's so funny I was looking at the pictures of the harbor freight ones and went "why aren't there just pins in this thing?" like how hard is it just to do simple pins vs some sort of ratcheting system. It's almost like they want people to die lol.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Professor of Cats posted:

This is why im the weirdo that has two jacks stands and also the jack still in place. That is my worst nightmare.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's so funny I was looking at the pictures of the harbor freight ones and went "why aren't there just pins in this thing?" like how hard is it just to do simple pins vs some sort of ratcheting system. It's almost like they want people to die lol.

The ratchet allows more positions of adjustment, and works fine when not made of cheese.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Darchangel posted:

The ratchet allows more positions of adjustment, and works fine when not made of cheese.

Well then why not a safety pin so it doesn't just drop the whole way. It's dumb to rely on just a ratchet alone.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Probably because it's more expensive but I wouldn't use stands without a pin. Here's what I got (6 ton version):
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Big-Steel-Jack-Stands/dp/B00026Z3E0?th=1&psc=1

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Living dangerously

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Don't be a jackass.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I use a pair of those HF jack stands as a deadlift stand. Even that is sketchy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It’s ok, one of the is a big red from amazon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a pair of jackstands that look way too close to the recalled ones for my own comfort

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a pair of jackstands that look way too close to the recalled ones for my own comfort

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
omae wa mou shindeiruuuu

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I use a pair of those HF jack stands as a deadlift stand. Even that is sketchy.
Oh my god this is brilliant. I have to remember this when I put together my home gym.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

BlackMK4 posted:

I see you didn't bend that tab after inserting the ratchet bar. Claim denied.

corgski fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 20, 2020

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
You can get the ratcheting style stand with a pin that slides into a tooth.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

omae wa mou shindeiruuuu

Nani?!?

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Saukkis posted:

Where does the dislike for torx come from? It was the first good fastener standard and everything should use it, except for the applications more suitable for the common hex nut. The older standards are inferior and the newer ones are too rare and not enough of improvement over torx. All slot, phillips and hex sockets should be thrown in the Mount Doom.
Torx is great except it has WAY too many different sizes. I live in the Metricland and the thread diameters and the associated hex head sizes are very regular (M5 is 8mm, M8 is 13mm, M10 is 17mm and so on) and I can just eyeball those, but torx? Yeah good luck figuring out if it's T8 or T10 without sticking in various bits and wiggling them around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

These are the ones I was just looking at a few minutes ago. Probably gonna order a set sometime.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

insta posted:

That's the bunghole, sir.

I wonder what's inside your bunghole. I always want to know.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have a set of Big Reds that look a lot like the ones BlackMK4 posted but I've had them for over a decade at this point, they've held up every one of my cars with no issues, as well as my Dad's Nissan Titan. I think I'm okay.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cyberbug posted:

Torx is great except it has WAY too many different sizes. I live in the Metricland and the thread diameters and the associated hex head sizes are very regular (M5 is 8mm, M8 is 13mm, M10 is 17mm and so on) and I can just eyeball those, but torx? Yeah good luck figuring out if it's T8 or T10 without sticking in various bits and wiggling them around.

Agreed, my dirtbike is all Torx/metric hex combo, they include this sweet little socket/torx toolkit for trail maintenance, and even though there's like 5 torx sizes in it, there's a Torx on the bike that none of those fits.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cojawfee posted:

I turn my cinderblocks onto their end because they are taller that way :colbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mister Kingdom posted:

In my case it is usually a loose 10mm socket.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I need TP.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Safety aside, an actual flat-top jackstand is worth every penny for unibody cars.

The real mechanical failure is holding up your car on a pinch weld with a design that exists to hold frame rails and solid axles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fortunately, some cars have jacking points where the pinchweld is wider and reenforced

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I've been looking for the ESCOs for a few years but haven't found anyone selling them in or to Canada. I was going to do a border run at some point in the future for them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've been looking for the ESCOs for a few years but haven't found anyone selling them in or to Canada. I was going to do a border run at some point in the future for them.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Esco-10498-3-Ton-Jack-Stand-Flat-Top-Rubber-Cushion/273757456311?hash=item3fbd3747b7:g:5MgAAOSw-4BXbBfp

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BlackMK4 posted:

Fortunately, some cars have jacking points where the pinchweld is wider and reenforced

Unfortunately, you usually have to decide if you want to put the jack there or the jackstand.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Godholio posted:

Unfortunately, you usually have to decide if you want to put the jack there or the jackstand.

True. I use a pinchweld jack pad

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Space Gopher posted:

Safety aside, an actual flat-top jackstand is worth every penny for unibody cars.

The real mechanical failure is holding up your car on a pinch weld with a design that exists to hold frame rails and solid axles.

Cut a slot in a hockey puck.

Edit: Like this: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/17756/are-floor-jack-and-jack-stand-pads-necessary

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I thought I read somewhere in AI that was dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sweet, thanks. I never thought to get safety equipment off of eBay but this looks legit.