Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Thing that won't age well: the first season of the Batwoman TV series because the lead actress has quit and now they have to recast.

I was honestly surprised they cast her in the first place. Whenever I’m watching something a few years old and Ruby Rose shows up it just reminds me of when someone was desperately trying to make her a Thing despite the fact she can’t act. She had big roles in a season of Orange Is The New Black and John Wick 2 and it instantly marks them as having been made in 2016.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 11:54 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this! posted:

Thing that won't age well: the first season of the Batwoman TV series because the lead actress has quit and now they have to recast.

Also because it was very bad.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of recasting, apparently they killed off Martin Riggs in the Lethal Weapon series because the actor was a dickhead (my dad watches the show, so I don't know much about it). What I don't get is why they didn't just recast the role, especially given the title "Lethal Weapon" refers to Riggs. Kinda like how the new Star Trek movies seem to be on hold because of some problem with the guy playing Kirk. Just recast the role. You've already proved it can be done, what's the problem?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Things got complicated by the fact that the actor who played Roger Murtaugh wanted to quit for health reasons, and having *both* lead characters get recast can be kind of confusing to the audience. I imagine the plan was to introduce other protagonists X-Files style, but the show got cancelled before they could really achieve that.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

Wayans had cited health problems as the reason for his departure, stating, "I'm a 58-year-old diabetic, and I’m working 16-hour days."

Woah.

I''ve just realised that he actually was getting too old for that poo poo.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 12:23 on May 20, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Thanos being an arsehole

https://imgur.com/a/SGx7S

I love the faces in the second panel. Thanos is such a smug arsehole, and Doom and Darkseid are seething.

There's a whole series of these, and they are all a delight.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 13:13 on May 20, 2020

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Grand Gigas posted:

Oldish post but Columbo is as much a cop as Zeus was a swan.

Columbo owns as a cop and as a character. He exclusively goes after white collar criminals to the point of even frequently enlisting the help of petty offenders and drug dealers to catch them. I think he says a few times he literally doesn’t care about those crimes, and is also a charming and lovable man we are all worse off now Peter Falk is dead

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Sunswipe posted:

Speaking of recasting, apparently they killed off Martin Riggs in the Lethal Weapon series because the actor was a dickhead (my dad watches the show, so I don't know much about it). What I don't get is why they didn't just recast the role, especially given the title "Lethal Weapon" refers to Riggs. Kinda like how the new Star Trek movies seem to be on hold because of some problem with the guy playing Kirk. Just recast the role. You've already proved it can be done, what's the problem?

Contracts, most likely, that and the fact that it's more that most of the cast are getting too expensive to hire, than any behind the scenes drama - especially if they were going to do the initial concept of a time travel story involving Kirk's dad, which'd mean paying Chris Hemsworth.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: Thanos being an arsehole

https://imgur.com/a/SGx7S

I love the faces in the second panel. Thanos is such a smug arsehole, and Doom and Darkseid are seething.

There's a whole series of these, and they are all a delight.

Meanwhile here’s an actual canon (Mister Miracle #11) scene of Darkseid committing the ultimate evil:

DOUBLE DIPPING

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

One way movie Thanos could have been improved was every scene he was in he would just be finishing a set and let the person know what he had lifted.

Dr strange: yeah you’re definitely more of a Thanos
Thanos: deadlifts. 1300 pounds. 4 10s. I take it the maw is dead.

Thanos: My phone keeps eating my posts

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AceOfFlames posted:

Meanwhile here’s an actual canon (Mister Miracle #11) scene of Darkseid committing the ultimate evil:

DOUBLE DIPPING

Are there panels/jokes in DC with people mis-pronouncing his name as Dark-Seed? Or him correcting people?

It honestly wasn't until the Superman cartoon of the mid to late 90's that I found out it's supposed to be Dark-Side, but with that spelling, how would anyone know?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

Are there panels/jokes in DC with people mis-pronouncing his name as Dark-Seed? Or him correcting people?

It honestly wasn't until the Superman cartoon of the mid to late 90's that I found out it's supposed to be Dark-Side, but with that spelling, how would anyone know?

Even though I know it’s pronounced Darkside my brain still pronounces it darkseed when I read it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

christmas boots posted:

Unfortunately the existence of Mrs. Columbo starring a 24 year old Kate Mulgrew confirms that Columbo liked his women a little too young.

Columbo's wife does not actually exist and the three times a character who is not Columbo in the series claims to have seen his wife, they are either mistaken, lying or crazy.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Teen Titans Go! did a joke with Robin announcing they had to go and fight Darkseid, at which point the other Titans start claiming dibs on which Star Wars character they're going to be. I hope this helps, because TTG is pretty much the only DC thing I give a crap about since the Nolan Batman movies finished.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even though I know it’s pronounced Darkside my brain still pronounces it darkseed when I read it.
I hope it's vaguely competent first game protagonist Mike Dawson who shows up, and not delusional serial killer second game protagonist Mike Dawson.

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 16:21 on May 20, 2020

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Isn't Darkseid in Teen Titans Go also voiced by Weird Al? I seem to remember that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yep! That show is weird. I'd catch up on it but there's like eighty zillion episodes.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Push El Burrito posted:

Isn't Darkseid in Teen Titans Go also voiced by Weird Al? I seem to remember that.

Yes. This becomes clear after Starfire offers him a throat lozenge.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yep! That show is weird. I'd catch up on it but there's like eighty zillion episodes.
They're like ten minutes long.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

Yes. This becomes clear after Starfire offers him a throat lozenge.

They're like ten minutes long.

Yeah but that’s still eight hundred zillion minutes

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

...I'm still wondering what the problem is, like are you worried about watching them out of order or something? There's nothing really to "catch up" on, there's barely ever even a hint of continuity. Just....watch it?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What if you don't want to watch it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Watching a new show means making headspace for whatever fictional world they've set up, and if you're going to do that, might as well watch something for grownups if you're not longer a child.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Watching a new show means making headspace for whatever fictional world they've set up, and if you're going to do that, might as well watch something for grownups if you're not longer a child.

:jerkbag:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t tell if that’s a weird tumblr parody post from 2012 or not

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's not wrong, you could drop dead any day, might as well spend your time watching the best poo poo possible

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MCU marathons, got it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm entirely serious, between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, whatever, so much good, meaningful content is at your fingertips. I'd recommend Alta Mar/High Seas on Netflix if you like historical drama and mystery, for example.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is no such thing as meaningful entertainment.

It’s all trash set to entertain you.

But that doesn’t matter because no one can maintain a lifestyle of no entertainment without being that nerd

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As an adult you should be free to throw off the whims of others, friends and shitposters alike, and watch whatever I want to watch.

No, that's not a typo.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is no such thing as meaningful entertainment.

It’s all trash set to entertain you.

it's probably best not to hold the most cynical position possible towards entertainment

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

it's probably best not to hold the most cynical position possible towards entertainment

Why not?

Also Cynical would imply I think it’s bad, it’s not. Entertainment is what it is, no more no less

The true Cynical thing would be saying the people who talk about meaningful entertainment are just doing it to shore up their own fragile self worth

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Not everything has to be some super-engrossing thing that demands your whole attention, cartoons and sitcoms are great minor background programs for a lot of activities, and the line about ~~making new headspace~~ would be complete buffoonery even if the show being discussed wasn't about characters that many people have known for decades or longer. "Oh no, who is this 'Robin' character?!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

food court bailiff posted:

Not everything has to be some super-engrossing thing that demands your whole attention, cartoons and sitcoms are great minor background programs for a lot of activities, and the line about ~~making new headspace~~ would be complete buffoonery even if the show being discussed wasn't about characters that many people have known for decades or longer. "Oh no, who is this 'Robin' character?!"

On a scale of 1-10 how familiar would the Teen Titans Robin be to someone who, say, watched BTAS a few decades ago? Or to someone who watched whatever the last movie was that had a Robin?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean he is an exaggeration but teen titans go is more about skits than characters or even the stories themselves.

It’s basically it’s always sunny in Philadelphia but for kids

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean he is an exaggeration but teen titans go is more about skits than characters or even the stories themselves.

Well I hated what I've seen of that, so all the more reason. :shrug:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pretty much. I've only seen a few episodes but one I watched was Robin is so jealous of Kid Flash that he breaks his knees. Also I'm pretty sure he cripples Santa Claus.

No lesson. No comeuppance. Robin cripples good people and wins. Hooray for our heroes!

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

Calico Heart posted:

Columbo owns as a cop and as a character. He exclusively goes after white collar criminals to the point of even frequently enlisting the help of petty offenders and drug dealers to catch them. I think he says a few times he literally doesn’t care about those crimes, and is also a charming and lovable man we are all worse off now Peter Falk is dead

He doesn’t even carry a gun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well I hated what I've seen of that, so all the more reason. :shrug:

That’s fine mean spirited humor isn’t for everyone

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

The whole thing was a huge mess with both Clayne Crawford (Riggs) and Damon Wayans (Murtaugh) responsible for the show problems. Crawford was a perfectionist with anger issues which lead to events like him screaming about kids playing near the set who were screwing up a shoot (not directly at them but loudly enough that they could hear.) While Wayans hated being on the show and refused to do anything but the bare minimum for his part (basically if a scene did not directly involve his character he didn't care.) The personality differences also brought about clashes on and off set eventually culminating in Crawford giving producers a "him or me" ultimatum. They chose Wayans and of course he ended up quitting the show at the end of the next season anyway.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they made a lethal weapon tv show? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Calico Heart posted:

I'd like to think that a lot of the criminals Columbo took down confessed just so he would leave them alone.

I read a story about Falk that was especially sad: They wanted to do one more Columbo story and approached Falk, but by that time, his Alzheimer's was so bad, he didn't even remember being Columbo.