Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Does Item Catcher make crafting materials drop or just foods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is Unite Charge worth using my credit card on?

Edit: you can’t get more than one credit card, right? That seems too good.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 16, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is Unite Charge worth using my credit card on?

Edit: you can’t get more than one credit card, right? That seems too good.

I think as long as you can find the ingredients you can make as many as you want.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think as long as you can find the ingredients you can make as many as you want.

This is true. I've crafted two so far for ukemi and that unite charge.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i used my first for ukemi and im super bad at activating it lol it was a waste.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I can now confirm that Unite Charge is loving awesome and worth it. Speed Charge is also vital, although I saved up for that one.

Unite Tombstone is awesome, too. But Unite Ball... I keep finding that I accidentally activate it a lot, and it eliminates your i-frames from unite spring and generally seems to suck. Am I crazy?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I finally beat this game again on normal and hard despite having beat it on the wii u as well. And it's still just fine. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

I like the story, music and setting, but there are just lots of things that annoy me. It's great when the combat is clicking but then you lose sight of your hero, get hit or fail to draw a weapon and things start to snowball quickly. The biggest thing is that the drawing still feels like it's only there because of the original gamepad interaction, not because it's a fun mechanic. I find it adds nothing but the possibility of frustration and messing up. Getting hit and losing combat effectiveness is still supremely lovely as well.

I'd probably put it in the middle of the pack of platinum games, but below Transformers and Bayo 2.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!
The thing though is that the drawing isn't the primary control scheme. It was largely ancillary to the game's development (but probably did give the team ideas) and the stick was the intended method. That's why the tutorials (even in Wii U, obviously) never mention the touch screen. Kamiya specifically notes he uses stick.

The old betas you can find online don't even use the drawing mechanic. I imagine (I don't know of any definitive statements either way) that gamepad did help lock the drawing idea into place, but we're also talking about the same director as Okami which used similar mechanics.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Unite Tombstone is awesome, too. But Unite Ball... I keep finding that I accidentally activate it a lot, and it eliminates your i-frames from unite spring and generally seems to suck. Am I crazy?

Unite ball can gain some utility later, but it's comparatively useless compared to it's Bayo equivalent panther within. The most you'll really get out of it is some secrets that can only be got with ball. Thankfully any upgrade/morph you get can be deactivated if you don't like it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I played the original, it generally wasn't worth it you take your hand off the gamepad to draw the morph you wanted.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I played the original all on stick, much more convenient than drawing on the screen.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I loved drawing on the screen and felt it elevated the concept of the game beyond simple inversion of a character action game into a proper sentai game where you acted out the power call outs. Plus drawing slowed down the game speed so you weren't ever really needing to hurry with inputs.

I'm also left handed so it was easier for me to do both. Though this was my fiancee's first action game and she can multi unite with the screen so i dunno. It missing is the main reason i haven't picked the game up.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 18, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I can now confirm that Unite Charge is loving awesome and worth it. Speed Charge is also vital, although I saved up for that one.

ball is just for utility (unless you start using spike ball for style points), you can use it to move quickly when holding an enemy weapon and to recover on the teeter-totter sections. i never accidentally activate it though, you can't re-use spring until the animation finishes and it isn't lightning fast so you should try to be more deliberate with the dodge inputs

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Finished the game the other day. The combo system never really clicked but it was still a blast to play (outside of the giant turtle dudes).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I wonder when we'll get the additional Luka campaigns that was promised in the kickstarter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wonder when we'll get the additional Luka campaigns that was promised in the kickstarter.

Wouldn't be shocked if it's super late in the year. They kinda opened their second studio in the worst possible time.

I'm getting this tomorrow on my base-PS4. Has anyone gotten to endgame parts on that yet? The digital foundry video made the performance seem OK for the most part, but i'm worried that struggling with some early parts mean it's still not gonna play great when all the insanity of hte final missions kicks in.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Is there a trick to fighting the silver scorpion type enemies? I'm not struggling with them but I feel like I have a plan for most enemies to hit their weaknesses and go wild and with them all I've got is... dodge and attack.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Assuming you know you can block their claw and jump attacks I'm not sure what else there is to do

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'll try again next time I see them, I was under the impression their claws would cut the block.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm reasonably far into the game and I think for the most part it's finally clicked and I'm really enjoying it. But as others have mentioned I can totally see a lot of flaws in the game and they sometimes annoy me so much. I think for me personally the biggest gripe is probably the camera. It's awfully zoomed in for most parts. Sometimes it's real easy to lose track of almost everything because there's enemies, effects, your full 100 man crew and sometimes things in the environment that kinda block your view and then you just don't know what the gently caress and get hit a buncha times in a row. I'm also still really annoyed with enemies attacking from off-screen/the edge of the screen where you can't see poo poo and suddenly they just dash punch you in the face with absolutely no chance to react to anything.

I probably make it sound a lot worse/more negative than I really feel about the game but it just makes me kinda sad that I enjoy the game so much and can still see so much potential for making things better. Just zoom the camera out a little bit when I'm not fighting. Yeah I might see a secret a little easier or whatever but hoo boy am I tired of running across long hallways/bridges that are like 2 or 3 screens wide, zig-zaging back and forth to make sure I don't miss anything or randomly sending out Wonder Liners into the universe to make the camera zoom out to a reasonable level.

Edit: Oh yeah one more little annoyance for me... enemy health bars (or circles in this case, I suppose). Look man, if the thing is completely red, in my head that means it's depleted and the enemy should be dead. Especially if it doesn't move or change anymore after I keep bashing them in the face. Don't make them go through some lovely animation where they change forms or whatever without their health moving and then suddenly it turns out they still have a quarter of their health left because ??????

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

elf help book posted:

I'll try again next time I see them, I was under the impression their claws would cut the block.

Their “claws” are blunt so you can definitely block them. The tail attack can’t be blocked and you should really try to attack them from the side because the acid spit comes out too quickly to dodge usually. But once you block they become stunned and you can go hog wild.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ahh thank you. I was probably assuming the tail and claws had the same properties, got stabbed by the tail, and told myself the old "nothing you can do".

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I had this game on the Wii U and never finished it despite really liking it. Switching HDMI cords was just too much of a chore. Going to buy this again to support Platinum even though I don't really think I will finish it.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Any 'big but not too big' enemy like the Dahkarts (scorpion) and Die Dough Goos are very susceptible to team attacks. A mixture of that and gun (especially stinger) is an easy stun.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

It's finally out for general release. But i think i'll wait until the physical version comes out to save precious space on my switch. I'm in no rush to experience the longer shmup sections of the game.

Also, the original came out seven years ago? God i feel old.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

UnintelGen posted:

Any 'big but not too big' enemy like the Dahkarts (scorpion) and Die Dough Goos are very susceptible to team attacks. A mixture of that and gun (especially stinger) is an easy stun.

Is Team Charge really good, then? I’m not even sure how to use gun stinger tbh. (Edit: obviously I know the button combination)

Also there’s some weird hidden exp stat right? That’s how your rank increases?

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is Team Charge really good, then? I’m not even sure how to use gun stinger tbh. (Edit: obviously I know the button combination)

Also there’s some weird hidden exp stat right? That’s how your rank increases?

I don't use team charge much, but yeah it's recommended. Gains distance more so than team attack, and uses more dudes for faster stun. Should also help with lock on.

Stinger's pretty easy to figure out if you know know what a charge attack in a fighting game is like. You just hold the opposite direction (it can just be a tap) and then flick the stick in the direction you want to attack. Green's attacks (cyclone/stinger/rising) all have the extra function of being able to mash the attack button for more bullets, which increases the combo multiplier a bunch and helps to stun the enemy faster.

A trick to help increase the exp rank (it's not exactly hidden, but it's pretty out of the way) is to switch leaders often. If you highlight them on the sub screen, you can see their rank bar. Just swap who you feel is low. It resets to default wonderful ones after operations, I believe.

Rank ups give each Unite morph it's supplementary abilities (Except bomb, as all are unlocked from the get go) and also increase your health pool. There are more obscure things the rank does, but that's late game spoiler stuff.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The one thing i'm missing from the gamepad is being able to check the leaders' XP on the fly.

Played the first proper level on PS4, god, it's all coming back and it's so good.

Oh yeah, and hte prologue didn't go so well for me
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1262885894148755460

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 20, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there any chance of this getting a performance patch on the Switch? I would much rather have it on Switch than the PS4 but I've been burned pretty badly by bad Switch ports

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

anyone else unable to not end an air combo with a tombstone? one of the most satisfying moves ever made. kamiya managed to outdo wicked weaves

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jenny Agutter posted:

anyone else unable to not end an air combo with a tombstone? one of the most satisfying moves ever made. kamiya managed to outdo wicked weaves

why would you ever not do that

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there any chance of this getting a performance patch on the Switch? I would much rather have it on Switch than the PS4 but I've been burned pretty badly by bad Switch ports

The Switch version is completely fine. The only framerate issues are during a few cutscenes, the actual game runs beautifully.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Some people have said there are framerate issues on certain fights when playing docked, but I didn't notice any and I'm nearly through the game now. I don't remember if I got lucky and played those specific fights (I heard Laambo was one, forget the others) handheld or not but I didn't notice any framey-ness during gameplay.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Finished up Operation 005, and man I completely beefed the boss fight cause I forgot all the tells :(. Ended up getting a silver for that first run which is kind of pathetic when I've been getting gold and platinums the whole way through.

Still having a blast jumping back in though!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Magna Kaser posted:

Some people have said there are framerate issues on certain fights when playing docked, but I didn't notice any and I'm nearly through the game now. I don't remember if I got lucky and played those specific fights (I heard Laambo was one, forget the others) handheld or not but I didn't notice any framey-ness during gameplay.

I tried to do the Orowchee/Lambo fight handheld and yeah it didn’t run particularly well. It’s also really hard to tell what’s going on when you’re playing handheld, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So what's the deal with Multiplayer in this? Is it just a mission mode or can you play through the campaign itself?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's a seperate mode and would be way too chaotic to work for the campaign

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

game owns

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

some of the hard-difficulty secret missions are ridiculous. the one where youre not allowed to unite morph was fun to figure out

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What’s the pro strat for Vorkken? I had trouble with him every time so far but the volcano fight was by far the most embarrassing. I ended up with a damage score of -9999 lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What’s the pro strat for Vorkken? I had trouble with him every time so far but the volcano fight was by far the most embarrassing. I ended up with a damage score of -9999 lmao

I struggled hard with those fights. The only consistent thing I found was using guts whenever he pulled out fist or hammer. Other than that I just spammed whip and hoped for the best lol.