Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
that raise was going to be 5% for my bargaining unit tho so its in effect a 15% cut, feh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

here I thought I was clever of thinking I should move to Hawaii for lower rent. sadly I probably can’t move for like a year and I doubt my job will still be remote by then

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Tayter Swift posted:

that raise was going to be 5% for my bargaining unit tho so its in effect a 15% cut, feh

jesus that sucks

bold of caltrans to still be posting new jobs after that, they've also delayed the project that was supposed to keep my office busy this summer

i might still apply tho lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
there's still work to be done, and supes want to beat the clock before the inevitable hiring freeze :shrug:

we're trying to hire our current student as soon as we can for example. she's a goddamn wizard when it comes to data viz and we depend on her a lot

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
maybe caltrans can stop working on the 101 freeway express lanes that nobody wants? that'll save some money

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

My best friend worked for the state gov in 2008 when they just stopped paying everyone and got his car impounded due to it

ed rendell loving sucked

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ran by the apocryphal maxi pad as mask dude today at the lake. sensible chortle was had by all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

not even all of the cool menthol vape in the world can help with that burn

lol

DuckConference posted:

i wonder if I can never go back to the office again.

gf went into office for first time yesterday since it all began and left her mouse there so now she has to use think pad brand trackpad for a week until she gets mouse. owned. I couldn’t deal I’d have to buy one

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

maybe caltrans can stop working on the 101 freeway express lanes that nobody wants? that'll save some money

for real

ooohhhhh a network of HOV lanes that rich people can also pay to use, this time widening the highways will surely solve traffic

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

My best friend worked for the state gov in 2008 when they just stopped paying everyone and got his car impounded due to it

ed rendell loving sucked

i remember when he was slashing the education budget and a reporter came on campus and asked me what i thought. i said something to the effect of, 'they're opening with slashing it by 2/3s so that when they "only" cut it in half everyone can act like they did something good. and they'll get away with it" and the reporter just kind of stared at me. gently caress ed rendell

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for real

ooohhhhh a network of HOV lanes that rich people can also pay to use, this time widening the highways will surely solve traffic

yeah that sounds great, I couldn’t leave VA fast enough after they put in HOT lanes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c bored in lockdown s:

pickled strawberries, just made em. theyll be ready tomorrow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just realized i have 4 weeks of vacation left this year, with nowhere to go

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

c bored in lockdown s:

pickled strawberries, just made em. theyll be ready tomorrow

i am extremely interested in what this taste like

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i was thinking about pickling some watermelon, i hear the rind works really well

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

I have some strawberries in the fridge right now and I kind of want to try this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i'd definitely try pickled fruit. sounds hosed up and awesome.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde
hoverwife won't let me go hard into pickling because it gives you stomach cancer

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoverwife won't let me go hard into pickling because it gives you stomach cancer

For the last time nobody should be pickling cigarettes

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
pickled hard boiled eggs might be the perfect snack

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

thousands of babushkas disagree

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stomach cancer no problem when die of kalashnikov game or liver explode before 50 years

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
They probably taste absolutely wretched but I'm a big fan of the experimentation.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my wife’s grandparents are well into their 80s and doing just fine; better than pretty much any American 10 or even 20 years their junior :colbert:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
pickles are super good for what ails ya.

stomach cancer schmumach schmancer

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
think koreans'll have a thing or two to say about that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hed posted:

yeah that sounds great, I couldn’t leave VA fast enough after they put in HOT lanes

they suck real bad so of course md is doing them too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

lol i'm imagining a japanese person saiyin this

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

well things are going ok here I guess because my boss says that I have to work from the office from Monday.

can’t wait to commute again. my rural non-farmer internet has taken a pounding these last two months.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Salt Fish posted:

They probably taste absolutely wretched but I'm a big fan of the experimentation.
u/n-post synergy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Im super cool with it but i do support across offices in three timezones and a bunch of already remote people

i do miss the good mexican places by the office. dont miss the 30 minute commute.

i miss going to lunch at places by work too, so going to an office with no food options isnt too exciting

i also work with people around the country and some internationally so, while it was nice to have quick questions face to face, theres no major difference using zoom or ims

PIZZA.BAT posted:

using your pto please please please unplug whenever you can'

we had this a few times and my manager was super encouraging when i took some recently. i did a bunch of chores and found my clippers so i felt refreshed in a bunch of ways even while being basically home all the time

fart simpson posted:

i just realized i have 4 weeks of vacation left this year, with nowhere to go

saaaame. they gave us some extra time to help people handle the stress and taking care of stuff at home and that effectively replaced the time i planned because im not good at taking time normally

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

I just tried one. holy poo poo

imagine a fresh strawberry, but quite a bit more tangy, a little sweeter, and just a tiny bit salty

it's basically a strawberry amplifier.

big recommend here

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ooo poo poo we have a ton of strawberries, a good pickling jar, and even some packs of seasoning for different flavors. feeling tempted to get on the pickling bandwagon rn

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
somebody suggested throwing a couple of basil leaves in and now i want to eat these so i can do another batch like that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

it's basically a strawberry amplifier.

strawb amps

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

somebody suggested throwing a couple of basil leaves in and now i want to eat these so i can do another batch like that

that sounds like itd be real good too

my dad makes wine as a retirement hobby and hes sticking some basil in a white wine this time. im super excited to see how it tastes. he hasnt tried it before but i think they had some somewhere and it got him curious

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

never thought I’d say this but thanks zuck

the option of full remote will now be a discussion for pretty much every bigtech role (except maybe apple)

although I wonder if this is a monkey’s paw wish, like how we all said “anything but a cubicle!” 15 years ago and bam open office to the face

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bay area real estate gonna take a hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's good, but I expect it will just stop rising as fast for a while. Stuff here is never getting cheaper.