Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also it's 4 hours long and being released as 30-minute episodes rather than a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
But will they be adding any buttholes?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
And here's hoping it's still bad, but in a new but understandable way.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Henry Cavill's upper lip is rumored to return for some reshoots.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cooked Auto posted:

To add to that:
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1263171731801419781

Someone must be really desperate to spend 30 million for all this.
lmao

What a hilariously idiotic waste of money

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Love to spend $30 mil to appease the 100 fans that were really clamoring for a BvS-level shitshow

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rageaholic posted:

lmao

What a hilariously idiotic waste of money

Yeah but AT&T really things if they label everything with the HBO name, it'll attract subscribers.

Also the Snyder cut is a dumb idea.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

Also it's 4 hours long and being released as 30-minute episodes rather than a film.

Now you have my attention. $30 million is still ridiculous.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't really help the hateful eight but it's still an interesting decision

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The roadshow of Hateful Eight was dope though. Dug the intermission and Ultra Panavision format

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

The roadshow of Hateful Eight was dope though. Dug the intermission and Ultra Panavision format

The intermission was awesome but made me realize how much I was not digging the movie, and was legit tempted to leave but figured I'd stick it out. Didn't get better. Oh well. Cool experience.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CelticPredator posted:

The intermission was awesome but made me realize how much I was not digging the movie, and was legit tempted to leave but figured I'd stick it out. Didn't get better. Oh well. Cool experience.

We were in the same boat and planned to leave there. By the time we realized our theater had just skipped it we were too deep and decided the same. And also didn't feel it helped. At least you got the experience.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

Yaaaaaaassss!!! So stoked!!!!

Edit: Snyder Cut! Snyder Cut! Snyder Cut!

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 20, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I also saw it in a beautiful olde timey picturehouse in 70mm so it was extra good. Also I got Milk Duds so A+ all around. Well, except for the movie, that was more like a B or B- but still a good time at the cinema, even if, yes, the intermission did give me a bit too much time to reflect on the fact that the movie wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It feels weird being one of the few people who thoroughly enjoyed Hateful 8.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I enjoyed Hateful 8, but at multiple points during the movie, I was reminded of how good The Thing was and how much I'd rather watch that.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
It’s a really good movie.

I remember my brother saying he didn’t like it because “It’s just an excuse for Tarantino to have a bunch of people sit around and talk” and I was like, have you ever seen a Tarantino movie before?

Like people saying Godzilla 2014 wasn’t a good Godzilla movie because it focuses on the people and not Godzilla, and I’m thinking you have clearly never watched an old Godzilla movie goddamn

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MacheteZombie posted:

I did too v:shobon:v

I saw the Roadshow version in theaters and enjoyed the whole presentation as well as the movie itself.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MacheteZombie posted:

It was my breaking point with the guy after waning on his last few films but the killer was that yeah, it begins as The Thing and then halfway in goes "Sucker! It was ALL lies!" and becomes a different film where the mystery angle is hucked out the window in a way you can't see coming.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
All this and Warner Bros. still won't return the 1998 Avengers movie to its full uncut glory.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

duz posted:

Yeah but AT&T really things if they label everything with the HBO name, it'll attract subscribers.

Also the Snyder cut is a dumb idea.

The original theatrical release was a dumb idea. Same thing with Solo: A Star Wars Story. Not releasing them was better than trying to scrap months of filming and then badly edit together very different styles of different filmmakers, even keeping elements from the original but removing the payoff.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

MacheteZombie posted:

The last movie I saw in theatres with an intermission was 2001 in IMAX and I'm pretty sure the intermission is timed so you can get real high before the star gate sequence cuz that's exactly what I did.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

People don't like Hateful 8? Color me confused

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I find it amusing that Tarantino went all out on 70mm for a film that's set almost entirely in a cabin.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cacator posted:

The last movie I saw in theatres with an intermission was 2001 in IMAX and I'm pretty sure the intermission is timed so you can get real high before the star gate sequence cuz that's exactly what I did.

Goons talking about getting high and going to movies is the weirdest flex

I've only seen two movies with intermissions, Grindhouse and that Toy Story 1 and 2 rerelease from a decade ago

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Iron Crowned posted:

People don't like Hateful 8? Color me confused

I liked it but haven't had much of a desire to rewatch it. I saw OUATIH twice in the theatre and bought a home copy in comparison.

Len posted:

Goons talking about getting high and going to movies is the weirdest flex

Yeah but this is 2001 we're talking about, maaaan. They go hand in hand.

In other news, Michael Mann wants to make a prequel and a sequel to Heat :jihad:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cacator posted:

I liked it but haven't had much of a desire to rewatch it. I saw OUATIH twice in the theatre and bought a home copy in comparison.

Just because you don't want to rewatch something doesn't make it bad, nor less enjoyable.

Cacator posted:

Yeah but this is 2001 we're talking about, maaaan. They go hand in hand.

:same:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I really liked the movie that Hateful 8 was before the intermission and didn't much care for the movie that Hateful 8 was after the intermission.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I put off seeing Hateful 8 until recently because it seemed like a lot of people were disappointed with it and I didn't feel like sitting through a three hour movie. But I'm glad I finally watched it because I loved it, as it turned out. It didn't even feel like it was that long either. I guess I just really love the "people talking in a room" genre.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Len posted:

I've only seen two movies with intermissions, Grindhouse and that Toy Story 1 and 2 rerelease from a decade ago

Indian films are getting wider and wider releases the past few years so that's an easy and fun way to bump your numbers

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first half (pre-intermission) of hateful eight is too long for what the second half ends up being. Put another way, the second half doesn't deliver on what the first half promises. Like it spends way too much time setting up so many interesting lines of conflict and social/power dynamics, and then Walter Goggins' character allies with Sam Jackson despite the latter's killing of the former's idol, which Tarantino completely glosses over in narration with "yeah they had an argument about it," and Channing Tatum shows up Shyamalan-ishly and with zero buildup.

He had a great premise and he completely bungled the landing. I wonder if the fact that the script got leaked really early had anything to do with how badly the plot tracks in the latter half.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm rewatching Hateful Eight on Netflix because of this thread and I'm at the part where Jennifer Jason Leigh plays guitar, and oh god, I totally forgot it was an actual period-authentic guitar that gets destroyed in this movie :ohdear:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have a friend who’s still so angry about that lol.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Are you watching the movie or the mini series format? The film, road show, and Netflix mini series cuts have different scenes, and some different takes of scenes that are exclusive to each version.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Just because you don't want to rewatch something doesn't make it bad, nor less enjoyable.

:same:

This is true. I've never watched City of God again, and have watched 2007's Hitman an unjustifiable number of times.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just hook it into my loving veeeins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rageaholic posted:

I'm rewatching Hateful Eight on Netflix because of this thread and I'm at the part where Jennifer Jason Leigh plays guitar, and oh god, I totally forgot it was an actual period-authentic guitar that gets destroyed in this movie :ohdear:

I cringe every time I see that scene.

Hateful Eight's among those movies I can watch anytime.

I was so bored with Justice League, I don't see a different edit winning me over, but I am curious how different it can be.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

MacheteZombie posted:

I feel like I would have enjoyed it better if it was on a stage, though I can't quite verbalise why.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Maxwell Lord posted:

All this and Warner Bros. still won't return the 1998 Avengers movie to its full uncut glory.
A movie that managed to perfectly emulate the surface appearance of its source material while utterly failing to grasp how and why it worked 30 years earlier. (It was a show very much of its time; it evolved as it went on, arguably being at least three different shows that morphed into each other; its stylistic elements in large part came from budget limitations; and most of all, actor chemistry. Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg were already charismatic as gently caress individually, and together...)

Mind you, not even the show's creators could recapture the lightning in a bottle just a few years later with The New Avengers. Hell, they couldn't even do it while the original show was still running after Rigg left and was replaced by Linda Thorson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010