Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Heart

Adam

BCN

Phoebe

Wizard of Id

Wallace

Curtis

Vargo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This could have been a story about someone being given a second chance at taking responsibility for their own life, being helped out of a depressive/self-destructive cycle, and otherwise turning their life around. Instead we're supposed to cheer because this horrible witch that was introduced to be a horrible witch is gone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

I don't know why the fact that Holbrook still uses the word "cyberspace" in 2020 bothers me so much, but it really does explain a lot about him now that I think about it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 9, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 9, 1998)

Garfield Classic (October 9, 1988)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

This is really sweet :swoon:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ah the good Madsen.

He deffo shouldn't have built that submarine

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Oct 8, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 3-4, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Dec 29-30, 2015)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Lovely ❤

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 25, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

That Mämmilä is :3:

Scary Gary

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"I'll be -- women!"

Next: WOMEN AND MORE WOMEN
A little cross-post from the Funny Panels thread...

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

This is charming. :cabot: :love: :catte: Thanks again for posting Mammila

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty, 2020

the next day of Monty, 2015 was another rich kid strip so here is something i got from hitting Random on gocomics

Monty, Dec 02 2016

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #56

This is kind of an interesting quasi-lead-in to the upcoming story line about Mo and therapy. It's a pretty marked shift from the early days of the strip which treated Sparrow's therapy stuff as a funny character quirk.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol: Boyce is a mad genius.

F Minus

Mark Trail

"And for that you get a hearty Trail handshake!"

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

But they won't be online.

You're doing okay, Buck and Truck, just... take that last logical step.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/18/00

I missed a strip, so this one should have been up yesterday ...

Brenda Starr 11/10/40

Pretty racy for the comics page in a family newspaper, Ms. Messick.

Smokey Stover 6/13/35

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Normally I'd say something about how you upgraded Get Fuzzy but I don't like that Rhymes with Orange joke, so please replace it with the world's worst cat

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

*with a carefree laugh* There was almost a stake, Mary! Can you believe it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:psyduck: The Ghost Who Was Dropped On The Head As A Kid.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian vs. Rodents of Unusual Size Nov. 13th, 1978- Nov. 19th, 1978

Posting this has pushed me to finally order the RE Howard collections I was missing. Anyway, now, I'd maybe do a bit more research before cracking open an ancient, magical amphora, but poo poo, what do I know? Crack that fucker open and see what pops out, what can go wrong?

Edit: vv Very much so.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 20, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

catlord posted:

Conan the Barbarian vs. Rodents of Unusual Size Nov. 13th, 1978- Nov. 19th, 1978

Same energy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alhazred posted:

The Phantom of Men meets the Phantom of Lions

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

catlord posted:

Posting this has pushed me to finally order the RE Howard collections I was missing. Anyway, now, I'd maybe do a bit more research before cracking open an ancient, magical amphora, but poo poo, what do I know? Crack that fucker open and see what pops out, what can go wrong?

Edit: vv Very much so.
The registration on those old color Conans is just unbelievably bad. A one-off is sort of understandable, but this is every week.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know why the fact that Holbrook still uses the word "cyberspace" in 2020 bothers me so much, but it really does explain a lot about him now that I think about it.
He formed his opinions of how the internet works in like 1998 and never re-examined them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Selachian posted:

Pretty racy for the comics page in a family newspaper, Ms. Messick.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

howe_sam posted:

Same energy

And they're calling him a cuck too. Shameful, squirrels. Shameful. I did not expect you to go alt-right :catbert:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Zereth posted:

He formed his opinions of how the internet works in like 1998 and never re-examined them.

That comic also implies that being on the internet is like hanging out in a special club, and tons of people are being introduced to it for the first time in the year 2020. It's kind of adorable.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

That comic also implies that being on the internet is like hanging out in a special club, and tons of people are being introduced to it for the first time in the year 2020. It's kind of adorable.

And, as we saw a few days ago in K&K, Kevin is still running an ISP out of his house with a staff of two.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

curtadams posted:

The registration on those old color Conans is just unbelievably bad. A one-off is sort of understandable, but this is every week.

That's not fair. It's only like, 3/4 of them!

But yeah, it is really bad. Looking ahead, through to the end of 1978, they are a bit better (well, not next week's, that one's real bad too), you can see some but it's not as blindingly obvious as these past few, and beyond that it seems, barring a few exceptions here and there, it's generally decent. Like I said, I've not read these before, I'm basically discovering them alongside everyone else.. I'm not really familiar with how they'd have handled colouring back in 1978, but considering how poorly it sometimes gets handled now, I'm not too surprised it gets so sloppy.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Samovar posted:

Not that I'm complaining, but what's up with those ink effects? It looks almost like water damage, yet deliberate. It's pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure it's something funky going on with the scanner, but I'm also not complaining.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

Wallace

The stakes here seem way higher than usual in Wallace :ohdear:

catlord posted:

Activating some magic item without even knowing what it does would be a dumb enough thing to do in, like, Harry Potter or whatever, but in the Conan universe it's basically suicidal. Possibly worse.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 30, 1939)

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Horse, no!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Medenmath posted:

Activating some magic item without even knowing what it does would be a dumb enough thing to do in, like, Harry Potter or whatever, but in the Conan universe it's basically suicidal. Possibly worse.

Almost certainly worse! Remember, Conan and Cthulhu? Same universe. The rules of the universe might be different, you might be able to actually fight them, but they're still gonna mess you up. Also, one of the early Conan stories, The God in the Bowl, is basically all about not busting open strange, ancient artefacts without knowing what they are. It's never gems, guys! Except when it is, but those ones will probably gently caress you up too.

Anyway, I love this Valiant. I like it when people wrestle with the physical manifestations of abstract concepts or other things you probably shouldn't wrestle with.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Alhazred posted:

The Ghost Who Licks Toads

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

catlord posted:

Almost certainly worse! Remember, Conan and Cthulhu? Same universe. The rules of the universe might be different, you might be able to actually fight them, but they're still gonna mess you up. Also, one of the early Conan stories, The God in the Bowl, is basically all about not busting open strange, ancient artefacts without knowing what they are. It's never gems, guys! Except when it is, but those ones will probably gently caress you up too.

Anyway, I love this Valiant. I like it when people wrestle with the physical manifestations of abstract concepts or other things you probably shouldn't wrestle with.
Although RE Howard wrote some Cthulhu mythos stories as well as the initial Conan stories, and there are certainly shared themes of "evil things outside the world trying to get back in" and "mysteries man was not meant to know", they aren't *technically* the same universe.

Too bad for Val he didn't wrestle with his conscience; he'd have wiped the floor with that weakling! Although if that witch can just restore his youth with a potion, I'm thinking he wasn't *really* wrestling Time; maybe some illusion of the witch.

I'm impressed by the art - that sequence of aging Valiants is quite realistic and all recognizably him. And all that stuff in the background! Not something you see on the comics pages these days. Nowadays you get Stephen Pastis whining about drawing very simplified cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Medenmath posted:

The stakes here seem way higher than usual in Wallace :ohdear:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 30, 1939)

Whoa, the second and third to last panels are astonishing. I keep being just completely stunned by Hal Foster, I wish I hadn't slept on him for so long and I'm seriously considering splurging on the big reprint books.