Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I get a plant ID please? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oops double

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, I just got an 8" dracaena giganta (drat that's fun to say) for my bedroom. My question is what is the best pot size? The stores are out of a lot of stuff so 12" was the best they had. Is that too big? It's no problem for me to return the pot and try to find a 10" one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

terre packet posted:

Looks like a young and somewhat light-starved Monstera to me.

Edit: could also be some kind of philodendron. There are many. Any close-ups?

anatomi fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 18, 2020

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

terre packet posted:

Looks like Anthurium

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

terre packet posted:

My guess would be young monstera as well. It looks like a leggier version of the one I purchased a couple weeks ago, where the leaves shoot off.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Hi, I just got an 8" dracaena giganta (drat that's fun to say) for my bedroom. My question is what is the best pot size? The stores are out of a lot of stuff so 12" was the best they had. Is that too big? It's no problem for me to return the pot and try to find a 10" one.

If it came in an 8" pot you probably want a 10"—I believe some varieties of Dracaena do better without a ton of extra space but I'm not sure if that applies here. That said, a 12" pot might not be ideal but it will probably do just fine as long as it's in well draining soil and the pot has a drainage hole.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wallet posted:

If it came in an 8" pot you probably want a 10"—I believe some varieties of Dracaena do better without a ton of extra space but I'm not sure if that applies here. That said, a 12" pot might not be ideal but it will probably do just fine as long as it's in well draining soil and the pot has a drainage hole.

Okay thanks. I think the person at the store said you don't want to have 2" + around the sides so a 10" is better. I'm not sure how people determine that!

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

anatomi posted:

Looks like a young and somewhat light-starved Monstera to me.

Edit: could also be some kind of philodendron. There are many. Any close-ups?

Definitely, hope these help:

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

terre packet posted:

Yep that looks like a monstera to me too from the way the leaves divide and the aerial root nubbins

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

terre packet posted:

Yeah forget what I said. The other posters are correct.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Agreed. You're gonna poo poo yourself (from joy) when you get the first leaf fenestration.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Here's my fav pick up from the big plant haul last weekend: Arisaema serratum v. mayebarae, Mayebara's Jack-in-the-Pulpit

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

z0331 posted:

Finally got my mountain laurels. :getin:

Got two, a peppermint that is mostly white, and a dark pink, almost purple. The white is at the far end, pink in the foreground next to my neighbors rhododendron. I also got a couple bee balm plants. Man they smell good.

You can also see a somewhat sad assortment of stuff that has come up pretty stumpy. I had envisioned two areas with cascading Hakone grass and sedge, with big painted ferns and hostas for texture. And welp things didn’t work out too well. I’m just happy anything came back this year. I’m also terrified with my track record with this plot that the laurels will die.

Oh and I also did something on the other side of the house that I really like. Foam flowers with some lady in red ferns.

Nice! They look good in there and they're hard to kill once they get established. Just baby everything really hard this first season. The foam flower and fern arrangement looks great, should fill in well

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
This one here is Acer circinatum var “Pacific Fire”. It’s harder to see here, but the bark does this cool thing where this year’s growth is a deep red and it fades back to orange and yellow at the trunk. It’s funny, I saw a ton of these at the Northwest Flower and Garden show, so they should be fairly easy to find if you want one yourself.

When I started this collection I thought I was just going to stick with palmatum, shirasawanum and japonicum but these vine maples are a real treat and seem to grow a good bit faster.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Those are gorgeous. I don't have the room for them, but one day...

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thank you all for the plant ID! And yeah looking forward to them fenestrations. :haw:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nosre posted:

Those are gorgeous. I don't have the room for them, but one day...

So here’s the where I get to play enabler - most of those varieties do just just fine in medium to largish pots. I buy only gallon sized trees (unless I hit the jackpot at Costco) and they sit in pots anyway until I figure out where they will go, but they could be very happy in a 10+ gallon pot. That’s even before you get into the numerous dwarf varieties. I’ve seen cultivars that max out at 2’x2’.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have four bell pepper pots in containers, a few have started to show signs like this and I don't know what is wrong or what to do.

Edit: imgur image isn't showing in the post will reupload and try again?

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 20, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there some cheap way to make a plant stand for the corner of my bedroom? It needs to be at least a couple feet tall and hold a 10" pot. Most of the actual stands are not my style, too expensive or too short. Just some hack I can do with Target stuff would be cool! Right now it's sitting on a chair, pretty sad.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

I have four bell pepper pots in containers, a few have started to show signs like this and I don't know what is wrong or what to do.

Edit: imgur image isn't showing in the post will reupload and try again?

Doesn’t look that bad to me? Water it and see what goes down

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Search for a side/accent table. Probably not gonna be cheaper than a plant stand.

Upside down garbage pin is I think the cheapest option. You could join two end to end.

There's no second hand place nearby?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Do fruit plants go in the "veggie and herb gardening" (i.e. edible?) thread or in the "plants in general" (i.e. non-edible?) thread??? O what to do.

Our grapevines are putting out shitloads of flower clusters!! The new shoots are growing at a rate of inches per day. I left about 10 buds on each cane, and each of the three vines has four canes, so that's about 120 fruiting buds. With 2-3 clusters emerging per shoot, that's about 240-360 bunches of grapes in total?! Based on some literature I've read, I'm a little worried I might've overcropped them (grown too much fruit). However, they were super vigorous last year, growing from a single bud down by the ground all the way to a full trunk with four or five fruiting canes per vine. So I think cropping on the high end for each species is appropriate. I might cluster thin (remove fruit clusters before they set) depending on how many leaves end up on each shoot. I have a 3-wire trellis, and I have some canes on each wire, so I can see whether they grow best going up or down the trellis. So far they seem to like growing up. Also I'm a huge nerd, so I drew diagrams of how I pruned each vine, including bud count and location, so I have a record of how they grow each year.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Is there some cheap way to make a plant stand for the corner of my bedroom? It needs to be at least a couple feet tall and hold a 10" pot. Most of the actual stands are not my style, too expensive or too short. Just some hack I can do with Target stuff would be cool! Right now it's sitting on a chair, pretty sad.

Finding plant stands at a particular height is a huge pain in the rear end in a top hat based on recent experience. Places like Lowes, Home Depot, and Amazon will have a decent number listed but they won't let you filter by height while places like Wayfair that do let you filter by height tend to be pretty expensive (though sometimes you can find the same item listed on Wayfair for a lot less money elsewhere). If you find a cheap (actual) plant stand you like I'd be careful—most of the inexpensive metal ones are super unstable. As someone else suggested, I'd look for side tables or accent tables, particularly second hand ones—I've found some nice stuff on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace though most of them needed some refinishing or painting.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

So here’s the where I get to play enabler - most of those varieties do just just fine in medium to largish pots. I buy only gallon sized trees (unless I hit the jackpot at Costco) and they sit in pots anyway until I figure out where they will go, but they could be very happy in a 10+ gallon pot. That’s even before you get into the numerous dwarf varieties. I’ve seen cultivars that max out at 2’x2’.

That's tempting as all hell. I'd have to find them in the EU, though; I've got my local place but have never sourced anything weirder

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Adjustable table legs (or just saw 'em down to size) and a wooden cutting board might work too.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Do any of you know what this is? It looks like darker green chives. Tubular leaves. They don’t smell like chives when you break the leaves. I’m in zone 6 in New Hampshire.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do they have fluffy stuff inside the tubes?

Edit: Juncus effusus

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 20, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Looks like a rush.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Looks like a rush.

I think you’re right! Looks like common rush. Thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

plant stand info - thanks

I'm wondering if I should just put it on the dresser instead though - if it's in that corner while it get enough light? It would be at quite an angle to the window.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Put that poor thing beside the window lol, it looks dark as a tomb in that room

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oil of Paris posted:

Put that poor thing beside the window lol, it looks dark as a tomb in that room

well i mean one of the blinds is closed and there's no lights on. also my camera sucks. also there's no light on behind me.

when you say beside the window do you mean in the corner where the little bookcase is? it's not going to get any light there really because that's a patio out there with a wall on the right side, and another patio above me.

here's a view from the other side, it does seem to be getting some light

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

anatomi posted:

Agreed. You're gonna poo poo yourself (from joy) when you get the first leaf fenestration.

Speaking of, my babby just busted her first fully fenestrated leaf open and I'm in love.

I just wish I could find a tetrasperma in Canada...

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

well i mean one of the blinds is closed and there's no lights on. also my camera sucks. also there's no light on behind me.

when you say beside the window do you mean in the corner where the little bookcase is? it's not going to get any light there really because that's a patio out there with a wall on the right side, and another patio above me.

here's a view from the other side, it does seem to be getting some light

ah okay, that does look a lot better! I'd just give it as much light as possible, like opening both blinds during the day but yeah, that looks like a very solid spot to keep it, should be pretty happy

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Please help me not kill this majesty palm. I had him in our sunroom but his condition was rapidly deteriorating. Palms are drying out completely but there is new growth on the plant. Soil is moist but not waterlogged. What am I doing wrong?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Well now that 60+ dahlias are planted in the front bed, it’s time to trim and incorporate the Celosia. The yellow ones grew faster than the reddish ones, but they’re coming along just fine anyway.

Man, I am absolutely loving these colors and my wife thinks it’s the best thing ever.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The yellow one was given to me by a bulgarian district carer, going back to her home country because her 80 year old husband was cheating on her with the (much, much younger) woman next door, she stripped the house and garden of everything when she left.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

z0331 posted:

You can also see a somewhat sad assortment of stuff that has come up pretty stumpy. I had envisioned two areas with cascading Hakone grass and sedge, with big painted ferns and hostas for texture. And welp things didn’t work out too well. I’m just happy anything came back this year. I’m also terrified with my track record with this plot that the laurels will die.
If you're consistently having trouble in that area, have you considered that there might be something wrong with the soil? Assuming that's not a brand new hosta, it looks pretty stunted, which makes me wonder if you've got a disease in the soil.

If you're not sure, you can take a soil sample near the roots and send it off to a lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm not great at outdoor plants so hoping one of you can help me with an ID - my friend working as a landscaper sent this to me asking if I knew what it was and how to get rid of it, because they're struggling to control it. My first guess would have been some sort of lily but due to its invasiveness and resistance to glyphosate I'm leaning more towards like... helleborine. Zone 7b/8a.