Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The danger, even before going, is the toxic substances that some of the microorganisms excrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also the concept that "microorgamisms=bad" only applies to certain ones.

there are plenty of foods that deliberately involve microorganisms, and their digestive processes are a huge part of what make that food what it is. and humans probably discovered a lot of that poo poo accidentally, by eating somewhat contaminated or rotted food. like the origin story of blue cheese is some shepherd forgot a piece of cheese in a cave and he came back and ate it all moldy anyway.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 20, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't the concept of ripened foods just an acceptable level of rot?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Leal posted:

Isn't the concept of ripened foods just an acceptable level of rot?

no, ripening is caused by plant hormones/enzymes, not microorganisms. maybe you are thinking of fermentation? that occurs later, usually after the fruit falls to the ground.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think maybe you could call it decomposition as the starches are breaking down (via enzymatic processes) into sugars. But I’m no scientist.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a way to permanently ban a website from showing up in my google search results? Is there an option I can add to my account that just blacklists a website? I'm tired of pintrest showing up in the results of literally anything.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

In the Season 2 episode 6 of Curb your enthusiasm, titled the Acupuncturist, why the hell does the Japanese waiter get so angry when Larry David puts out the fire with the cup of water? It makes no sense to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leal posted:

Is there a way to permanently ban a website from showing up in my google search results? Is there an option I can add to my account that just blacklists a website? I'm tired of pintrest showing up in the results of literally anything.

Nope. But there are plugins: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unpinterested/gefaihkenmchjmcpcbpdijpoknfjpbfe?hl=en

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Attn: plumbers or handymen/women

Long story short, I woke up to the sound of glass breaking in the house. My roomie's cat did.... SOMETHING to knock a champagne flute into the kitchen sink, where it shattered into a zillion pieces. And because cats are assholes (j/k, I love them), they managed to do it into the side of the sink with the garbage disposal. I got the big chunks out, but I know for a fact that there's some bits in the disposal.

What do? I'm afraid to run the disposal to try to flush them down, will that gently caress it up? On the other [still intact] hand, I'm loathe to just try groping around in there to pick out what I can.

I know from my kitchen industry days that getting bones (or when I worked for the Army, an entire plastic cup) down a disposal is bad news because you'd get shards flinging back up in your face; can't imagine glass would be any better. I'm stymied, but want to fix this.

If there's a better thread to ask this in, I'm open to suggestions, thanks.

edit: if the disposal can handle it, my thought was to put something like a sieve over the drain so the shards won't fly out, but I really don't want to break the disposal or gently caress up the drain

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 20, 2020

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Isn't that why sinks have the little bent pipe beneath it? You can take that part off and empty it then flush the water through the disposal to move any stuff through it right?

I'm obviously not a plumber though.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Long story short, I woke up to the sound of glass breaking in the house. My roomie's cat did.... SOMETHING to knock a champagne flute into the kitchen sink, where it shattered into a zillion pieces. And because cats are assholes (j/k, I love them), they managed to do it into the side of the sink with the garbage disposal. I got the big chunks out, but I know for a fact that there's some bits in the disposal.

What do? I'm afraid to run the disposal to try to flush them down, will that gently caress it up? On the other [still intact] hand, I'm loathe to just try groping around in there to pick out what I can.

I know from my kitchen industry days that getting bones (or when I worked for the Army, an entire plastic cup) down a disposal is bad news because you'd get shards flinging back up in your face; can't imagine glass would be any better. I'm stymied, but want to fix this.

edit: if the disposal can handle it, my thought was to put something like a sieve over the drain so the shards won't fly out, but I really don't want to break the disposal or gently caress up the drain

At the risk of sounding like a dick:

google for 'broken glass in waste disposal sink'

and there's a dozen guides

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Isn't that why sinks have the little bent pipe beneath it? You can take that part off and empty it then flush the water through the disposal to move any stuff through it right?

I'm obviously not a plumber though.

That’s mostly to prevent sewer gases from coming out the drain.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've had something similar happy twice, I'm sure this isn't the approved version of dealing with it, but it's worked for me. First disconnect the disposal or turn it off physically, essentially you don't want any chance of it turning on accidentally. Then I very carefully removed every piece I could get with my hands. It's a slow, tedious process, but I've been able to get a lot out. Then once I got literally everything I could, I turned the disposal on. I didn't cover it with anything, maybe I should have but didn't get much kick back. Mine's not super powerful though. There was some clattering but then it ran smoothly. I'm sure not the best way, I bet there's a way to open it up fully, but that's what has worked for me.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If it were me, I'd take the whole thing out and get it as empty as possible while using an allen wrench to jiggle the blades to get the stuff under them out. Google says you can just run it thoroughly while water runs if the large pieces are out, but I wouldn't trust the internet enough to do it that way.

Or heck, maybe it's time for an upgrade. A 1hp disposal is cool and easy to install.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Okay I have a question. Do bugs heal? Like if a beetle breaks his leg or something.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Manager Hoyden posted:

Okay I have a question. Do bugs heal? Like if a beetle breaks his leg or something.

Some can kind of repair themselves by growing a patch of chitin on the injured part, others kind of "heal" when they shed their outer shell and any attached damage to it when it's time to grow a new one. I don't think they heal in the same way mammals do, just because chances are that when an insect gets injured in the wild it'll starve or be eaten pretty quickly. If an insect has a broken leg I imagine it'll move around until it falls off, unless the break is enough of an impediment to it's survival that it can't eat anymore. Insects have been observed self-cannibalizing when parts of their body are displaced so that they can reach them with their mouths, but that's less of a purposeful survival instinct and more of a result of insects not being able to really understand the difference between their own hind leg or someone else's.

Classon Ave. Robot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 20, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Moo the cow posted:

At the risk of sounding like a dick:

google for 'broken glass in waste disposal sink'

and there's a dozen guides

Not a dick at all, I just generally tend to trust goons-giving-goons-advice more than idiots on Quora or Yahoo Answers, and was panicking. This isn't my house and I don't want to gently caress up their plumbing with my half-assed attempts at fixing it. And thanks to the 'rona, I'm unemployed and living here under their graces, so I REALLY don't want to jack poo poo up. I can't afford to just buy another disposal.

S'all good! Thanks. And let this be a cautionary tale for anyone out there: keep a sink stopper on the disposal side of the sink so this never happens to you!

fake edit since others have posted: And thanks all for the other advice! I'll figure this out.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Not a dick at all, I just generally tend to trust goons-giving-goons-advice more than idiots on Quora or Yahoo Answers, and was panicking. This isn't my house and I don't want to gently caress up their plumbing with my half-assed attempts at fixing it. And thanks to the 'rona, I'm unemployed and living here under their graces, so I REALLY don't want to jack poo poo up. I can't afford to just buy another disposal.

S'all good! Thanks. And let this be a cautionary tale for anyone out there: keep a sink stopper on the disposal side of the sink so this never happens to you!

fake edit since others have posted: And thanks all for the other advice! I'll figure this out.

I did a quick scan of the first 6 guides and they all said the same thing, so it's probably the Right Way

Plus, these things must be designed/built to take into account that people are terrible klutzes and will regularly drops glass, cutlery, utensils and phones into the drat thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I have witnessed a residential garbage disposal swallow a stone pestle, chew it up real good (not sure how long it was in there), and continue to run for years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I have witnessed a residential garbage disposal swallow a stone pestle, chew it up real good (not sure how long it was in there), and continue to run for years.

Yeah, seriously. This isn't a big deal.

Get the big pieces out, throw some ice in there, maybe half a lemon and grind that poo poo up. It will smell like new and keep on going for as long as it was gonna keep going.

Or like, don't do any of that and it will still keep working.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I seriously doubt that even large shards from a champagne glass pose any threat to the thing at all and in fact will be pulverized with ease. Just turn the faucet on full blast, keep your face and hands away from it, and turn it on.

Now, shards of a pyrex vessel or something might be a problem.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why do people still have garbage disposals? I live in a country with poo poo roads and loads of water but we still recycle.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Motronic posted:

Yeah, seriously. This isn't a big deal.

Get the big pieces out, throw some ice in there, maybe half a lemon and grind that poo poo up. It will smell like new and keep on going for as long as it was gonna keep going.

Or like, don't do any of that and it will still keep working.
You don't even need to take the big pieces out. My dad would put entire beer bottles into the garbage disposal and claimed that it sharpened the blades. He did it all the time, especially when his friends were over because no one believed it would work.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

thotsky posted:

Why do people still have garbage disposals? I live in a country with poo poo roads and loads of water but we still recycle.

They're not for garbage, per se, but for kitchen scraps.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

thotsky posted:

A garbage disposal isn't for garbage, it's for little bits of food that come off your plate in the sink. English is a terrible language sometimes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeah, I know. That goes in a special food waste bag for recycling. Why would you flush that down the drain? It's great biofuel; don't make the water treatment plant sort it for you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:effort:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

thotsky posted:

Yeah, I know. That goes in a special food waste bag for recycling. Why would you flush that down the drain? It's great biofuel; don't make the water treatment plant sort it for you.

Most of the world does not have this word in everyday use, if at all.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

escape artist posted:

Cool.

So this is not for me but it is for someone I know. It's a couple who make roughly $78,000 a year (combined). They file every year and get direct deposit. Neither of them have received their check. All the tools on the IRS site (get my payment) do not indicate anything at all. They're at a complete loss and as far as helping them, I am too. If anyone could help with what to do next, it would allay the worry of a kind older couple.

Can anyone help me with this or point me in the right direction? It's extremely frustrating.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Are they really using food scraps as biofuel?

Sorting it out at the water treatment plant and using it as fertiliser is a better way to go.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Platystemon posted:

Are they really using food scraps as biofuel?

Sorting it out at the water treatment plant and using it as fertiliser is a better way to go.

That requires a lot of water. Would not be suprised if it leads to more rats and blockages or whatnot in the sewer system as well. Better to do it optically, I believe. It becomes both biofuel (gas) and fertilizer here.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Android Pixel 3a phone. It's recently started suggesting emojis instead of words at the top of the keyboard. I've turned off everything in the settings of Gboard that say "emoji" in them but they still show up. How do I get rid of them forever?

Edit: this bullshit. Sometimes it's all three suggestions.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

escape artist posted:

Can anyone help me with this or point me in the right direction? It's extremely frustrating.

Not sure if it helps, but my spouse and I got a deposit without doing anything. We signed up for nothing, did nothing, and filled out nothing, just got a direct deposit on April 15th out of the blue, into the same account that our return came in.

That being said, we already filed our taxes for the year and nothing in them was complicated, unusual or different than the previous year.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 21, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thotsky posted:

Not sure where you live, but dishwashers are a thing. A thing that uses less water to wash dishes. They eject the parts into somewhere, and in most american homes that's the garbage disposal which is also open to a drain in (one of the) kitchen sinks.

Fun fact, "american style" dishwashers usually have grinders in them so you don't need this, but "euro style" ones do not. The euro style ones (bosch, thermadore) are much better at cleaning and generally quieter, but do throw a lot of poo poo down the drain that benefits from being ground up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

I signed up the Sunday before the Wednesday deadline (I think it was the 9th or 10th), registered my account and everything like that with the IRS for direct deposit just like all of the instructions said to do... and yesterday I received a paper check in the mail.

My name is also early in the alphabet (I have no idea if they do the checks alphabetically or what). They should definitely watch their mail.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Memento posted:

Android Pixel 3a phone. It's recently started suggesting emojis instead of words at the top of the keyboard. I've turned off everything in the settings of Gboard that say "emoji" in them but they still show up. How do I get rid of them forever?

Edit: this bullshit. Sometimes it's all three suggestions.

😂

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Motronic posted:

Not sure where you live, but dishwashers are a thing. A thing that uses less water to wash dishes. They eject the parts into somewhere, and in most american homes that's the garbage disposal which is also open to a drain in (one of the) kitchen sinks.

Fun fact, "american style" dishwashers usually have grinders in them so you don't need this, but "euro style" ones do not. The euro style ones (bosch, thermadore) are much better at cleaning and generally quieter, but do throw a lot of poo poo down the drain that benefits from being ground up.

Yeah but that's why you scrape the food off the plate before you put it in the dishwasher, so that you aren't clogging up your drains with food waste.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

regardless of "biofuel" its easy to save food scraps for compost, which is great for plants/gardening. however its of pretty limited use if you arent growing plants. some places will come around and pick it up or have a more central place you can contribute it to

also you can feed chickens with it, if you happen to have any chickens

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

The garbage disposal isn't supposed to be your first option. It's there as a last resort for when you gently caress up and don't get to the dishes in time and have to soak things that will then end up going down the drain. I got it drilled into my head at an early age that you try not to use the garbage disposal if you can help it. It's the "I hosed up and clogged the drain with weird cheesy pasta bits" switch, or possibly "I thought there was nothing but broth left in that bowl, oops".

I assume our kitchen sink and therefore disposal goes to the septic tank just like everything else. But I also live somewhere that only recently got trash pickup, so my experience is not universal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

escape artist posted:

Have you actually gone to the IRS web site with their information and confirmed it's no help? With both of their information?

What do you mean the tools don't indicated anything at all? What do the tools say when you click "Get My Payment?"

Apparently the IRS has added a hotline you can call. You might not be able to get through to a person for a while, but try that (or go to an actual tax preparer and get help from them).

e: considering these are kind old people, give them the IRS phone number yourself so they don't call some scam # that shows up when they try to Google it

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 21, 2020