Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ainsley McTree posted:

Since so many of the game’s big bugs are tied to server population, is there some reason they can’t just reduce the maximum number of people allowed in a lobby so that it never gets high enough to cause problems? It seems like lowering the population demonstrably works so you have to assume they’ve considered this solution but haven’t executed it for reasons

Not that I can really think of. Capping it at 14 seems like it'd be the sweet spot in terms of poo poo actually working and catering to the folks that want human interaction, even if that interaction is more often than not some mod menu dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The number of people in a session isn't the root problem. poo poo is just fundamentally broken.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Lmao 14 people would make online even more unplayable. The world is giant you need atleast 22+ to ever encounter anyone outside of valentine

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Capn Beeb posted:

Not that I can really think of. Capping it at 14 seems like it'd be the sweet spot in terms of poo poo actually working and catering to the folks that want human interaction, even if that interaction is more often than not some mod menu dipshit.

Or getting shot in the face for no reason.

It seems like the bigger and more successful franchise is, the more QC is left out :effort:. Why not, they already got your money and brokebrain whales will keep shelling out, why fix anything?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Or getting shot in the face for no reason

Nah see that's part of the experience honest please do not restrict the amount of people I can harass

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

eh shooting peoples faces is why the game has an online side
the actual issue is how poo poo the online experience is.

pretend for a minute that everything actually works. wild i know. say that lasts a month or two. cool! now you're totally maxed out in any measurable way, you have an outfit for every occasion and a stable of horses.

there's still nothing to do, nowhere to go, nothing to earn. its barren.

its got that old skyrim problem in that its several hundred miles wide but its an inch deep. a gorgeous immersive puddle of problems and poo poo. i would love to spend more time there but :rockstar: cant even keep the world from collapsing if hackers will it

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Sleekly posted:

pretend for a minute that everything actually works. wild i know. say that lasts a month or two. cool! now you're totally maxed out in any measurable way, you have an outfit for every occasion and a stable of horses.

this is literally all i want

games don't have to last forever

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I mean I get that the game has deeper flaws but like, just simply changing the number from "22" (or whatever the current lobby max is) to "14" seems like a very simple way to make sure you have animals to shoot at and a camp to return them to. It's a very easy fix to a very annoying problem, and I can't figure why they don't just do that until they figure out what the heck else is going on (or just leave it that way forever since at this point I assume the game isn't really getting the TLC it needs). Apparently keeping that handful of extra players that you're probably not even going to run into since the map is so big is more important than making sure key features of the game actually function reliably

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I mean I get that the game has deeper flaws but like, just simply changing the number from "22" (or whatever the current lobby max is) to "14" seems like a very simple way to make sure you have animals to shoot at and a camp to return them to. It's a very easy fix to a very annoying problem, and I can't figure why they don't just do that until they figure out what the heck else is going on (or just leave it that way forever since at this point I assume the game isn't really getting the TLC it needs). Apparently keeping that handful of extra players that you're probably not even going to run into since the map is so big is more important than making sure key features of the game actually function reliably

Did I miss a post that showed that population size affects the server?

All I saw was the talk of solo servers being less buggy, but all that imples is having anyone else at all on a multi player server causes problems. For all we know 2 might be too many people to have stable gameplay.

I also don't know why everyone is so eager to blame player population when there are other factors like the number of people using the admin console to gently caress around with the server to consider. Almost every session has someone on it teleporing people around, blowing people up, duping item, changing the time of day - why is that less of a worry?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Last night's results: "solo" w/other players, completely stable, hours of play. :iiam:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sleekly posted:

It's fun. That's what's gained. Human players are usually so much deadlier, or at least more unpredictable than NPCs that killing them and wrecking their poo poo is it's own reward.
Stick to story if you don't want this, it's the reason online exists. To interact with others.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Sleekly posted:

eh shooting peoples faces is why the game has an online side
the actual issue is how poo poo the online experience is.

there's still nothing to do, nowhere to go, nothing to earn. its barren.

its got that old skyrim problem in that its several hundred miles wide but its an inch deep. a gorgeous immersive puddle of problems and poo poo. i would love to spend more time there but :rockstar: cant even keep the world from collapsing if hackers will it

Weembles posted:

Did I miss a post that showed that population size affects the server?

All I saw was the talk of solo servers being less buggy, but all that imples is having anyone else at all on a multi player server causes problems. For all we know 2 might be too many people to have stable gameplay.

I also don't know why everyone is so eager to blame player population when there are other factors like the number of people using the admin console to gently caress around with the server to consider. Almost every session has someone on it teleporing people around, blowing people up, duping item, changing the time of day - why is that less of a worry?

Yep to both of these. Instead of some dumbass idea like lowering server pop and defeating the point of being online (to play with others), maybe just make the online stable and functional.

Sure do want to play in an inch deep empty world stably so I watch rank number go up

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My legendary bison sank:ohdear: Luckily :rockstar: realized that this could be an issue an put in safeguards, but still..

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Alhazred posted:

My legendary bison sank:ohdear: Luckily :rockstar: realized that this could be an issue an put in safeguards, but still..

Same thing happened to me

(Separate video) I didn't let that stop me, though :arghfist::clint:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
No ones saying to lower the population because we don't want to interact with other players. I just want the game to work and to be able to hunt and use the systems the game is supposed to use. I don't care if there's 2 players or 100 players on the server. Having more people to interact with doesn't really matter if the games unplayable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Personally I just have a tendency to really enjoy games where I make my own character. In the past couple years I've started to make female characters instead of male characters and its opened up this whole new world of dress-up

I would absolutely play a mod that allowed my female character to come to singleplayer and just talk with Arthur's voice

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 21, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No ones saying to lower the population because we don't want to interact with other players. I just want the game to work and to be able to hunt and use the systems the game is supposed to use. I don't care if there's 2 players or 100 players on the server. Having more people to interact with doesn't really matter if the games unplayable.

Exactly; if I was a game dev and my game had a critical bug that was demonstrably linked to lobby population, i would simply lower the limit until it is fixed

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finally got the legendary bullgator to spawn and:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Exactly; if I was a game dev and my game had a critical bug that was demonstrably linked to lobby population, i would simply lower the limit until it is fixed

what if you're a game dev and outdated player counts are a metric for performance? if they dont buy gold you get paid less. or some poo poo i dunno, not inclined to give this game credit really. it basically sux as much as it shouldn't it does

e: gtav online for its first couple years was poo poo too but somehow they got lightning in a bottle eventually and theres an outside chance this maybe too one day. i doubt it though. gtav makes a sickening amount of money and trying to do that again is doomed, ie RDRO

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 22, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Finally got the legendary bullgator to spawn and:

Hahaha

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Adventures in Solo Lobbies: Part the Fifth

So, on the advice of CapnBeeb, I tried the GTAV solo lobby program available at a GTA modsite. Fire it up, and once back in the game, check the player list.

Me.

Also, camp spawned right at Thieve's Landing, and the revenooer roadblock at the bridge was ready to be murdered. Followed immediately by the Quaker Cove hideout. :unsmigghh: Followed by that unmistakable player bark...

Wait, what? Bring up the player list... 20+. :wtf:

Go back to camp to drop off critters/parts, back into Change Appearance, back to the solo program - still running, and seems to have not been changed. Toggle "block other players" a couple times, exit to world, and clear playerlist.

Also the same roadblock/hideout set.

Also it pops back to non-solo a little later. :catstare:

Seemed to stay stable otherwise - some hack-fuckery with my movement a couple times, and right before the daily reset Cripps packed up my camp, but re-spawned without any problem. All the Stranger mission-givers and random encounters worked - well, the wagon recovery one failed, but that was because the thing spawned trapped between camp components and couldn't actually move, but I 'd say that's just bad mapping.

I'd say the solo lobby seems to stabilize the game somewhat, which usually stays stable once the de-soloing hits. Animal counts drop tremendously at that point, but Stranger stuff keeps working, as does Moonshiner poo poo.

Note: apparently, Beeb doesn't have it repopulate the players when he does it.

Will keep exploiting - just being able to actually have a camp, do 'shine things and Stranger jobs while not having the game poo poo itself is worth a little extra work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Butcher's Creek really is the Hills Have Eyes.

I am currently rocking a look that can only be described as "herpetile".

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is there a log of messages somewhere that pop up for poo poo that i'm usually involved in something else to click on in time?
I just got a message that says I abandoned my legendary animal, though I skinned the bison, but now I have the pelt and cant seem to find a trapper to do something with it.

The consoleness of this game really irks me sometimes.
Yesterday I had 2 instances of it where I saved a lady who was tied up, so I shot the kidnapper and put her on the ground and got the prompt to cut her free, nope, kicked her instead. Now she hates me.
Also saved some guy in a bear trap, after saving him, hit left trigger to talk, nope pulled my gun on him instead.
Not sure how he ran so fast after being pulled out of a bear trap.

e: Ok googled trappers which I will get to later, hopefully my legendary pelt I left laying in camp because I didnt know what to do with it, wont despawn.

e2: seriously need a log, just got some prompt about finding a legendary fish and that theres someone in a camp... but thats all i saw before it faded.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 23, 2020

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Press L. Default key for opening up the log.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Silentgoldfish posted:

Press L. Default key for opening up the log.

While that is useful and havent seen it yet, it sadly doesnt have any of those prompts that come up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OgNar posted:

Yesterday I had 2 instances of it where I saved a lady who was tied up, so I shot the kidnapper and put her on the ground and got the prompt to cut her free, nope, kicked her instead. Now she hates me.
Haha, this exact thing happened to me today.

quote:

e: Ok googled trappers which I will get to later, hopefully my legendary pelt I left laying in camp because I didnt know what to do with it, wont despawn.
Legendary pelts automatically goes to the trapper if you abandoned them. Basically you can't lose them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I killed the legendary grizzly bear.I dedicate this senseless killing of this innocent animal to the memory of Hosea

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I've dipped my toes into RDO a little and got annoyed at how you need to spend gold to get access to any of the roles, so I just wandered around and did dumb stuff instead. Then I got invited to a session of Railroad Baron. Here is my review of this game mode:

I do not want to play Railroad Baron ever again.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

ErrEff posted:

There could be a fun game mode involing capturing a moving train and defending it, but Railroad Baron sure isn't it.

I really wish there was more to do in RDO. As barebones and grindy as it is I love spending time in the world and wish I actually had something to do. I was really let down by the Moonshiners update and that's pretty much the last decent content drop we've recieved. RIght now would be the perfect time for them to release something substantial to get all the cowboys back in the saddle.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ErrEff posted:

I've dipped my toes into RDO a little and got annoyed at how you need to spend gold to get access to any of the roles, so I just wandered around and did dumb stuff instead. Then I got invited to a session of Railroad Baron. Here is my review of this game mode:

Railroad Baron would be infinitely better if the people that are not on the train were friendly towards each other.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This might be a very weird question but whatever: I've dipped my toes into RDO a little and is it me or can you just do all of this in the singleplayer game with less artificial gating anyway and trolling? SP mode has bounties and hunting and stranger missions and all that stuff and it isn't gated by needing to get to level 10 just to buy a bow. Also it feels like there's a bunch of stuff like robbing trains and banks that isn't in MP, or needs way higher levels?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah but I can't be a pretty princess in SP

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Pierson posted:

This might be a very weird question but whatever: I've dipped my toes into RDO a little and is it me or can you just do all of this in the singleplayer game with less artificial gating anyway and trolling? SP mode has bounties and hunting and stranger missions and all that stuff and it isn't gated by needing to get to level 10 just to buy a bow. Also it feels like there's a bunch of stuff like robbing trains and banks that isn't in MP, or needs way higher levels?

SP only has four or five bounties before they disappear.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This too

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Theres mods for that.
Though I havent tried it.

https://www.mod-rdr.com/downloads/rdr2/mods/7-lennys-simple-trainer/

You can even be a rattlesnake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y237GKj-G60

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Pierson posted:

:same: I’ve been sticking with RDRO because of my brokebrain liking the numbers going up but I think every play session I say out loud “gently caress this game”.

I think it’s because the SP set such a high bar for quality and realism and then when you go to MP every little thing is level gated and obviously meant to frustrate you into shelling out real money. Oh hey this basic set of fishing tackle requires level 35 and the roles require a buy in and payouts for bounties are 10 dollars and gold dribbles in in loving fraction of a coin.

And then the crapshoot as to whether it’ll gently caress you over on animal spawns/despawning and the camp and if itll work at all.

Oh and a little thing just now. Came up on a moonshiner cop camp. That part is fine, it works, but there was a caption that said “To engage with moonshiner content”. To what? Lol I love how after all the effort on realism they’ll just add industry jargon directly into the game. My immersion :qq:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Playing RDRO since release and scooping up all the gold giveaways and GTA cross promos meant I've always been swimming in gold and buying into a new role was never a problem.

If I had to grind and earn all that poo poo? no fuckin way. this game, more than most others i can think of, this one has zero respect for your time.

i really feel for people who thought 'oh ill just buy myself a better experience' only to be left with the same empty world and buggy mechanics just more of them now. I dont quite understand how they've made what should have been another money printing machine into whatever this game is but hey :capitalism:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When RDO launched it had one of the worst economies in an online game. Earning the premium currency was so pathetically grindy, as well as earning regular in-game money, that first impressions of it were really bad. I think the economy of the game is in an extremely good spot right now but it was an uphill battle to turn that bad first impression around. Also it doesn't help that communication from the RDO team is extremely bad. There's no roadmap or any updates about what's going on coming from them. So either the mode is just on maintenance mode right now, they're working on revamping the whole thing so it turns into a money-making machine like GTAO (and massively over-inflating the prices like in that game) or they're working on a big update that's pulling resources from the drip-feed content stream they had for a long time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You will never get a roadmap or updates about future content from R*.

You'll be lucky if they post a trailer for a DLC the week before its release.

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009
Add me to the list of people who feel a sense of relief after inadvertently letting their Daily Challenge streak break/lapse.

Managed over 120 days (90% of the time only doing the 1-5 easiest challenges of the day) before forgetting yesterday after a big session playing Division 2 to log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I am now on chapter six and have decided to not move the plot forward for a while.