Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’d add the Twilight Zone to that list. For the most part it looks good and the stories are still relevant today. It’s so loving good that every attempt to revive it has been ok at best despite stacking talent on both ends of the camera.

Oh, for sure. There's a reason that the TZ marathon on SyFy is the biggest ratings they have all year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Deadite posted:

Yeah that was season 4 and pretty much all of the characters were being boiled down to a single characteristic. I think the producers that season decided the funniest thing about the dean was his costumes so they had him in one as much as they could

Oh wait, I forgot about the whole 'constantly telling Dong Lover that people only think he's funny because he's black' thing too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The biggest reason that episodic television seems so much better now is probably the switch from 22+ episodes per season to 8-10 episodes per season. I imagine it's almost impossible to write 22 episodes of something, every year for years and not have it result in a huge dip in quality.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

The biggest reason that episodic television seems so much better now is probably the switch from 22+ episodes per season to 8-10 episodes per season. I imagine it's almost impossible to write 22 episodes of something, every year for years and not have it result in a huge dip in quality.

And to go with this, the goal isn't necessarily to get a show to at least 100 episodes to go to syndication anymore. Between streaming on demand, and the push back from content creators to end their stories when they want to rather than at the whim of the network to keep on ordering season after season, meaning they can never meaningfully wrap up a story because they have to keep it going.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My love for Lauren Lapkus led me to watch The Wrong Missy. That was a grave mistake.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tickled is still the great doc it was in 2016. Do NOT read anything about it before watching it on Hulu.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm watching City on a Hill on Showtime, which aired last Summer. It's a pretty good way to pass the time, at least so far. Kevin Bacon's character is a lot of fun, watching how he gets things done.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

My love for Lauren Lapkus led me to watch The Wrong Missy. That was a grave mistake.

:same:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
One of my favorite things about City on a Hill is actually a really small touch. At the beginning of each episode they recap where the story is with a few short sentences of text shown on screen with a black background. No recap video at all. I think it's refreshing and shows a respect for the viewer.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Gunsmoke is another old show that kicks rear end

It's always on in hotel rooms so it's my travel show (or was, back when that was a thing) doing field service

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
All of Columbo has been free on imdbtv for a while
Really enjoying watching the show for the first time, never saw any of it but i remember as a kid my dad liked it so there's some nostalgia built in.

I love how basically every murderer has to be the character somehow kept closest to Columbo. None of them are like, "uhh my lawyer is here and i'm literally never speaking to you again". Every single episode seemingly without exception is a "sure i'll keep talking to you Columbo, I want to help you to find the REAL murderer." even with the more hesitant and tactful criminals up to a point.
It's worth it for the 60s 70s flavor and guest spots alone. Really fun Leonard Nimoy episode, Vincent Price, young Martin Sheen, there's a buncha people. Nothing better than Jack Cassidy chewing scenery, he's the murderer a few times, from a Nazi magician to a mystery novelist who tries to pull off the perfect crime.

I heard it got canceled or some poo poo for YEARS and then came back cheesier and shittier? I've still got enough seasons to go but that's a shame, humor and weirdness is fun in Columbo in doses but i've already gotten tired of the gimmick episodes/environments. Surprised we haven't had him on a cruise ship or in the circus yet but there's plenty of time left. 🙄

Anyway, watch Columbo y'all. I don't really like any modern Sherlock/Luthor type shows but Columbo really gets carried by all the fabulous 60s/70s flavor and time capsules as well as all the fun guest stars of the era.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

eighty-four merc posted:

Gunsmoke is another old show that kicks rear end

It's always on in hotel rooms so it's my travel show (or was, back when that was a thing) doing field service

Gunsmoke was a good radio show and it's excellent for long car rides. The radio version is a little more adult and less sanitized than the TV version. It was aired as one unbroken program, no commercial sponsor: the premium cable prestige drama of its day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Columbo owns, the only truly bad episodes are the most recent ones ("Season 10", made between 1990 and 2003) and even then I think I recall them being okay-ish

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Gunsmoke was a good radio show and it's excellent for long car rides. The radio version is a little more adult and less sanitized than the TV version. It was aired as one unbroken program, no commercial sponsor: the premium cable prestige drama of its day.

oh hell yes, thanks for the tip. It's on the podcast apps too, and when I bookmarked it on spotify I got a notification for the new jason isbell album so that was double sick

I'm relocating cross country in august so this is going to really help make that hell drive tolerable

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Columbo past season 7 is still pretty good, but there're a couple things that they changed that made it a little bit weird. It becomes really obvious who the real life reference point is for a lot of the guest murderers. Also, they changed the formula quite a bit and in some episodes Columbo doesn't even show up until like halfway through.

Columbo on a cruise ship is a pretty fun episode. Not a big fan of Columbo goes to Mexico though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just started watching Justified for the first time. It's rad so far.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just started watching Justified for the first time. It's rad so far.

It only gets better!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The good shows in the old days still only had an 8-10 episode main arc for a season and then a bunch of one off filler episodes. (Although sometimes the one offs are some of the most memorable, like X Files)

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Shudder is finally going to be dropping Blood Machine tomorrow and I am looking forward to it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Onto season 4 of Better Call Sal and while I am enjoying it, I really really couldn’t care less about the Salamanca C plot that has persisted the entire series and seems to exist just to remind you of all those things from Breaking Bad. Like I know it will eventually cross over to involve Sal but they have spent soooo much time on it over the last 40+ episodes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here's a question for you all regarding HBO Max. Right now I get HBO Go as a perk from an ATT cell plan. I log in to the site with an AT&T TV login. According to the HBO Max FAQ: "Subscribers who get HBO through AT&T TV, DIRECTV, AT&T U-Verse, Hulu, or Spectrum will get access to HBO Max at launch (at no extra cost)."

So I should get HBO Max, right?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Am I remembering correctly that there's a good way and a bad way to subscribe to Shudder? I'm thinking about finally subscribing and I feel like it's one of those that has a good version and neutered version depending on how you sign up for it?

I've been bingeing bad horror, scifi and action movies on Shout Factory and need a new source.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Am I remembering correctly that there's a good way and a bad way to subscribe to Shudder? I'm thinking about finally subscribing and I feel like it's one of those that has a good version and neutered version depending on how you sign up for it?

I've been bingeing bad horror, scifi and action movies on Shout Factory and need a new source.

You want to do it right through Shudder.com

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tainen posted:

Onto season 4 of Better Call Sal and while I am enjoying it, I really really couldn’t care less about the Salamanca C plot that has persisted the entire series and seems to exist just to remind you of all those things from Breaking Bad. Like I know it will eventually cross over to involve Sal but they have spent soooo much time on it over the last 40+ episodes.

Hang with it, major payoffs to that story line in this latest season.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jose Oquendo posted:

Here's a question for you all regarding HBO Max. Right now I get HBO Go as a perk from an ATT cell plan. I log in to the site with an AT&T TV login. According to the HBO Max FAQ: "Subscribers who get HBO through AT&T TV, DIRECTV, AT&T U-Verse, Hulu, or Spectrum will get access to HBO Max at launch (at no extra cost)."

So I should get HBO Max, right?

Do you have the Ultimate Elite plan? Yes!

Do you have any other cellular plan? Just a month-long free trial.

(source)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Do you have the Ultimate Elite plan? Yes!

Do you have any other cellular plan? Just a month-long free trial.

(source)

Thank ya. It looks like I get one month but who knows. I'm surprised this login still works at all.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Anyone else watch Upload? I enjoyed it. I by no means think anyone would enjoy it as much as the shows I'm going to mention next, but it has similar elements to The Good Place and Superstore. It is much less zany than The Good Place (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but has the same elements of basically anything being possible except in this case there are at least some rules. It's also got a strange sort of relaxation similar to Superstore with its random interstitials. I dunno, maybe my standards are dropping, but I'd watch more.

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm afraid to watch it but probably will because she's the best and deserves leading roles

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

Anyone else watch Upload? I enjoyed it. I by no means think anyone would enjoy it as much as the shows I'm going to mention next, but it has similar elements to The Good Place and Superstore. It is much less zany than The Good Place (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but has the same elements of basically anything being possible except in this case there are at least some rules. It's also got a strange sort of relaxation similar to Superstore with its random interstitials. I dunno, maybe my standards are dropping, but I'd watch more.

I've avoided it because it looked too similar to The Good Place, which is strange since both of their creators come out of The Office. Also, the lead actor looks like he has zero charisma in all the commercials. But I have heard from other people that they liked it.

Glottis posted:

I'm afraid to watch it but probably will because she's the best and deserves leading roles

Same. Lauren Lapkus is the best.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Nemeis (1992, Amazon Prime) is so sick, Albert Pyun is a king. Recommend me some more 90's b-scifi movies with practical effects.

Nemesis was absolutely badass. I am a SyFy original fan....as they are pretty self aware. I feel like this was a very self aware action sci-fi movie with a larger budget. The shoot out scene towards the beginning of the movie was actually pretty well done while some towards the end were ridiculous. Then you throw in the extended scenes of man butt for no good reason. Dialogue was scattered from written on the spot....to I had to rewind because the scene was probably written to be funny and it was. The scene where Angie-Liv is talking to the guy at the front desk of the motel through the computer screen and his henchmen are all huddled real close around him! Hilarious.

Watching Robowar now. I've basically been burning through 80's, 90's, 00's B-movies that I've never heard of before over the past week/week and a half. With Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Vudu, Tubi, HBO Go, Encore, Showtime, Roku Channel, etc.....there is tons of wacky poo poo to watch that I've never heard of.

Cyberpunk recommendations appreciated. Already watched Class of 1999, btw.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 21, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Upload is hack bullshit. They always go for the easiest lazy joke. They literally have an old Slavic lady who is pickling things under her desk in 2020. That joke was old in 1995. It's Seth MacFarlane bullshit. I like how in one episode a kid is practicing her "classical dance" and what?? It's an r and b song from our 2020 present day! How crazy! gently caress that show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm finally watching Hunters on Amazon right now, and I was wrong to put it off. I'm really enjoying it. One strange thing though is that it takes place in the 1970s. They have all these characters who were young during WW2, but then the actors playing them in "present" day are all ancient. I suspect that what happened was when they cast Al Pacino, they were like, "gently caress, well, now we have to cast everyone else to be his age."

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I like how in one episode a kid is practicing her "classical dance" and what?? It's an r and b song from our 2020 present day! How crazy! gently caress that show.

I dated an art major ballet dancer in college for a couple years and I remember in 2006 she had to do some sort of presentation/performance piece for a mixed media art class and was surprised when her ballet recital to odb's shimmy shimmy ya didn't get high marks

That show sounds awful

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Jose Oquendo posted:

You want to do it right through Shudder.com

Thank you! I almost added through Amazon earlier and glad I didn't.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jeez, I just now remembered that Good Place-alike that had that one multi racial gal from SNL and the super dweeby guy whose name I never remember. Don't remember the name of the show and I remember it being perfectly average, inoffensive, and forgettable.

Did that ever get a second season? I completely forgot this show ever existed until I saw someone comparing a different show to The Good Place.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

regulargonzalez posted:

Jeez, I just now remembered that Good Place-alike that had that one multi racial gal from SNL and the super dweeby guy whose name I never remember. Don't remember the name of the show and I remember it being perfectly average, inoffensive, and forgettable.

Did that ever get a second season? I completely forgot this show ever existed until I saw someone comparing a different show to The Good Place.

1) Fred Armisen
2) Forever
3) Nope

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

that one multi racial gal from SNL
:chloe:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Thank you! I almost added through Amazon earlier and glad I didn't.

What's the difference here?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

OldSenileGuy posted:

What's the difference here?

I did a little searching and the little I found says either:

- Amazon version is missing content
-The content is actually available through Amazon too, but you have to get on a browser, use Amazon's crappy search, and add the movies from Shudder that you want to see onto your watch list and then go back to your TV/Roku/CC/Firestick app and access your watch list to be able to access movies that would flat be there if you were simply using the Shudder app.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I found a few threads on Reddit that said the same things.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Is there an easy way to find miniseries? Iv recently watched Vampires, Ares, Hotel Beon Sejour and Tabula Rasa and I'm loving the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Upload is pretty good although it's best viewed as a long Black Mirror episode critiquing capitalism plus some jokes rather than as a full on comedy. The jokes get better once the show finds it footing a bit although the girlfriend's character is all over the place.