Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

https://i.imgur.com/p3KvoFq.mp4
Let's do this

alnilam posted about a crazy bee hive swarming nearby
Which reminded me of the flower and spring thread we had last year, so maybe this year we can do some bee & insect posting!
Post bees and other many-legged friends ITT to get spring sprung

like these :butts:

and also this bee

and these ants I gave some honey to a few days ago

POST!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

notes on swarm bee-haviour
if you see a swarm those are almost certainly free bees. normally keepers will nucleate hives to produce new ones intentionally. when i was learning beekeeping in saskatchewan there was a yard that was forgotten and when we discovered it was full of hives we found this:

swarms are a sign of excellent hive health and if you see one the bees in your locale are doing well, which is very nice. also, i guess if you want you could do the bee beard thing this way?

my X year plan was to get to north ontario and start getting hives running, but covid situation has kind of jumbled up plans. my dad is bringing me my hives/frames though, and i've been reaching out to local keepers/associations. bees aren't cheap tho! i should put up signs around town with my cell number for swarm collection - finding one would save me like 200-300 dollars.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

biosterous

recently penn state was offering some free online courses and i signed up for the beekeeping course! i have learned about bee biology and haven't done other modules yet.

i learned that bees are hairy everywhere, even on their eyes haha what what???

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Heather Papps posted:

notes on swarm bee-haviour
if you see a swarm those are almost certainly free bees. normally keepers will nucleate hives to produce new ones intentionally. when i was learning beekeeping in saskatchewan there was a yard that was forgotten and when we discovered it was full of hives we found this:

swarms are a sign of excellent hive health and if you see one the bees in your locale are doing well, which is very nice. also, i guess if you want you could do the bee beard thing this way?

my X year plan was to get to north ontario and start getting hives running, but covid situation has kind of jumbled up plans. my dad is bringing me my hives/frames though, and i've been reaching out to local keepers/associations. bees aren't cheap tho! i should put up signs around town with my cell number for swarm collection - finding one would save me like 200-300 dollars.

Is the money in beekeeping from producing/harvesting honey or I have read beekeepers get paid to bring their hives to farms to help pollination or a little of both?

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is the money in beekeeping from producing/harvesting honey or I have read beekeepers get paid to bring their hives to farms to help pollination or a little of both?

it depends on the size of your apiary, really. if you're a large scale producer you will focus on honey production and that's basically it. yards will be set up in farmers fields but the traveling crop pollination/royal jelly/pollen/propolis collection would be a way for a smaller scale apiary to pay bills.

my beekeeping mentor had maybe 40 yards with usually around 80 hives per yard, but it was the second largest operation in the province i think?

this is us picking up hives to winter in the honey house.

also, honey house is the term for the place you extract/store stuff, but holy smokes it's kind of a gross name.

xcheopis

OP needs bee tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/CMGaldre/status/1015863541813817344

xcheopis

Bumblebees best bees

https://mobile.twitter.com/bioGraphic/status/1018895760547635200

Goons Are Gifts

bumplebee
We should get one of those for the bump thread

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have never been stung by a bumblebee but they are SO BIG i assume it would hurt more then a honeybee

alnilam

bee fact in olden times an alternate name for bumblebee was "humblebee" you can see it in Darwin's writings for example, eventually bumble won out over humble but both are v cute and appropriate

The Voice of Labor

I think I've only seen one bee this spring that wasn't a carpenter bee. It's time to figure out how to make fly honey.

nut

Heather Papps posted:

i have never been stung by a bumblebee but they are SO BIG i assume it would hurt more then a honeybee

it’s the violation of trust that hurt more

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
There's a bumblebee called Bombus Confusus. Also bees can see into the ultraviolet spectrum and know a colour called Bee's Purples which lets them navigate flowering plants.

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

bee fact in olden times an alternate name for bumblebee was "humblebee" you can see it in Darwin's writings for example, eventually bumble won out over humble but both are v cute and appropriate

Bumblebees are the kittens of the insect world.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Prurient Squid posted:

Also bees can see into the ultraviolet spectrum and know a colour called Bee's Purples which lets them navigate flowering plants.

i have some ideas about marking hives with glow in the dark paint or uv reactive stuff as a way to reduce hive drift but i'm not sure it'd be possible for me to actually tell if it works or not but it's interesting to consider

xcheopis

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TUDFCOwjY

"Fuzzy little bodies" :3:

Stoner Sloth

Happy international bee day everyone!!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

kuskus

Wow wow a bee thread. Live report from this evening, introducing two specific bees:

Just drank the last moisture from this leaf:

Full pollen baskets- but it may be propolis.

Lots of pollen incoming, some cheeto orange:

Spot the queen. From 5/13:

I'm a first year beek & my mom and I have two hives, watch our five week check below full of rookie mistakes! I'm crashing with her during covid so I have a daily opportunity to observe! We'll check in on them again on Saturday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrs9-Wm1prU

xcheopis

Cool!

Heather Papps

hello friend

kuskus posted:

Spot the queen. From 5/13:

thank you very much for not paint marking your queen! i understand why folk do it but i hate it

more falafel please

forums poster

we tried to keep bees three years in a row (just one hive) but they never made it through winter :( still got a bunch of honey though. i'd love to try again in a spot more sheltered from wind and with an actual wintering plan in place. we live in chicago so winter can be fickle

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Goons Are Gifts

Oh those are absolutely gorgeous bees, I love them, I hope you have a name for every single one of them because that's what I do with my ants

kuskus

The Shamanic Way of the Bee on the topic of the Queen posted:

In her solitary person she carries the destiny of all, and she is as a goddess whose life is devoted to selfless service within the dim light of the golden city.

Some beekeeper on Reddit posted:

I love the calm chaos of a swarm. The last swarm we had I convinced my kids to come out and walk in the swarm. No one got stung. They are not defensive when they swarm. It was challenging to keep our mouths closed while we laughed.

Khanstant
all b r bbb

Heather Papps

hello friend

one of my fave beebooks:

alnilam

Khanstant posted:

all b r bbb

Taffy Torpedo

...Can we have the radio?
A few years ago I had a beehive outside my house, it was really big and the bees were super chill but then the bee men came and said that if anyone complained about the bees then the council would send someone to just spray em dead, so the bee men took my bees away to keep them safe :negative:.

I miss my bees so thank you for this bee thread.

nut

Khanstant posted:

all b r bbb

kuskus

Stanfield posted:

so the bee men took my bees away to keep them safe :negative:.
This makes me so angery I could spit!!
I'm doing a hive inspection tomorrow, so I will post results.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a correct season to start keeping bees? Like should I spend the next 9 months learning about bees and get some next spring or can I get some bees in August too? I think I might need some bees

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a correct season to start keeping bees? Like should I spend the next 9 months learning about bees and get some next spring or can I get some bees in August too? I think I might need some bees

i don't know what a google would say, but from my experience as long as you are a few decently warm months away from frost you're okay. ideally a new hive would be set out in the spring but i've nucleated hives late summer/early fall and they've been very established come winter.

you may have to feed a bit more actively but it really depends on your hardiness zone when the last call for a packet of bees would beeeeeee

biosterous

i'm going through my bee course, and one of the videos starts with "now let's go ahead and assume that you've ordered some bees" and for some reason it's the funniest thing

"It is difficult to determine the true market value and quality of used equipment and bees."

you can't put a price on used bees!

biosterous fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 29, 2020

gallery of sigs

he/him

kuskus

Is it the course where the guy always smiles with an open mouth and turns his head towards his colleague without closing it or blinking? If it is, I was shocked at the part where they teach you to twist the queen's neck and rub it on the new queen cage so she's accepted sooner. It seems surprising and sinister.

biosterous

i haven't seen anything like that yet!

they look like this, is this the same people?

gallery of sigs

he/him

kuskus

It's the very same and I really like the course, I just think the fella has curious mannerisms as a video talent! After that course I wanted to hop into the Master Gardener course... But I'm not near Pennsylvania and you need in person training. I may do it in my state with the Purdue extension.

nut

I wrote a short story about bees yesterday and it’s rough but I could post it here if u like

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
last place i lived had a hive of bumblebees and they were chill

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goons Are Gifts

nut posted:

I wrote a short story about bees yesterday and it’s rough but I could post it here if u like

Please do, I'm so excited to read already

Stoner Sloth

Goons Are Great posted:

Please do, I'm so excited to read already

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

I wanted to rename this thread to Bee Y O Bee twice already and now I'm not on a computer, SS can you do the needful?

I feel like we should have so many bee puns itt