Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"191. If a free man picks up now this woman, now that one, now in this country, then in that country, there shall be no punishment if they came together sexually willingly."

Does this mean if you gather up a harem from your travels/conquests, they're legally in the clear to get down with one another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Okay I've got to think that this is less a legal code and more like, judicial precedent. Like, "here's a list of rulings we've made so we don't have to bother somebody important every time a man has sex with a cow". It feels really weird to have a bunch of laws which amount to "this act is explicitly not illegal" otherwise

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm imagining cowfuckers being the Assyrian equivalent of libertarians who always pop up about the age of consent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've always found the Hittite laws so fun because they try really hard to be very specific but without the full context and looking at them thousands of years later it's the "that just raises further questions!" scene from Futurama.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I love to post this sacred law of the mighty Hittites every two years or so:

how loving often were animals trying to gently caress people that you needed these specific exemptions if the animal started it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"She came on to me, officer"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've always found the Hittite laws so fun because they try really hard to be very specific but without the full context and looking at them thousands of years later it's the "that just raises further questions!" scene from Futurama.

Had humans invented general legal concepts yet at that time

This sounds stupid but I think it’s a good question

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You can even write your own Hittite fanfiction:

quote:

If a cow spring on a man in the mountain, it is no crime, if it is a pig he will pay seven and a half shekels of silver and not be allowed to feed the hummingbirds for a year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You probably have to look at justinians code to see the first generalized legal ideas

Maybe the East has then idk

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

euphronius posted:

Had humans invented general legal concepts yet at that time

This sounds stupid but I think it’s a good question

They must have had them implicitly to some degree, because you can't have a workable legal system without them, but it seems fair to say that they probably didn't have a lot of systematic legal theory.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

evilweasel posted:

how loving often were animals trying to gently caress people that you needed these specific exemptions if the animal started it

horse breeders can get a horse to gently caress what's basically a big tube. I feel like this is an area where training can go a long way.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I remember reading lots of them in a Hittite course and every day would be just sounding out these ridiculous laws word by laborious word. I'm sad that it was all in transliteration though, cuneiform is fascinating.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

what was the significance of killing a serpent?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

what was the significance of killing a serpent?

I'm guessing it's a representative of a god and killing it while naming a person is a form of curse.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Athena is tired of your poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Deteriorata posted:

I'm guessing it's a representative of a god and killing it while naming a person is a form of curse.
I parsed it as a like, well known ritual or something.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Were incestous relationships really that big problem or were those laws more about writing down the things that are frown upon?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I had no idea Lydia under Croesus was so large. I thought it was just the plain west of the Anatolian plateau and east of Ionia.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I did not know that Septimius Severus commissioned a map of Rome and posted it in public:

http://formaurbis.stanford.edu/

It broke.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Catching up from a few pages back.

So do we have any idea how rare and costly a suit of this armour would be?

Would it be strictly for Kings and Nobles etc, or would it be the sort of thing the head of a reasonably prosperous household could afford to bring when summoned to war.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Deptfordx posted:

Catching up from a few pages back.

So do we have any idea how rare and costly a suit of this armour would be?

Would it be strictly for Kings and Nobles etc, or would it be the sort of thing the head of a reasonably prosperous household could afford to bring when summoned to war.

The most famous armor of this kind was found in a tomb at Dendra which was not in itself a major Mycenaean site. But it definitely would have belonged to an palatial elite.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I did not know that Septimius Severus commissioned a map of Rome and posted it in public:

http://formaurbis.stanford.edu/

It broke.

That's because it fell.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shamelessly crossposting

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The British Museum has started a contemporary-style travel guide series on ancient cities: https://blog.britishmuseum.org/historical-city-travel-guide-rome-1st-century-ad/

Crazy how we argue so much about modern traffic congestion when Rome just banned vehicle traffic inside the city 6 AM to 6 PM. Absolute legends.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 21, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In ancient Greece the sculpture of Theagenes was convicted of murdering a man called Thasos by falling on him. The sculpture was exiled and tossed into the sea. It was later recovered because the oracle of Delphi said that the country would remain barren until the sculpture was restored.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The modern state still prosecutes physical objects involved in crimes all the time!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Arglebargle III posted:

The modern state still prosecutes physical objects involved in crimes all the time!

never forget https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Approximately_64,695_Pounds_of_Shark_Fins

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arglebargle III posted:

the modern law of mental illness and culpability for crime is not much improved over deodand, either

See https://www.wsj.com/articles/lawmakers-can-narrow-insanity-defense-supreme-court-rules-11584999118

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
What’s some good reading on sexuality in ancient civilizations? I’m interested particularly in the idea that some cultures considered women to have a stronger sexual drive than men.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"What the gently caress, God?"

is actually the emotion the scene is intended to convey as Iphigenia is hauled off to be sacrificed to Artemis

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Little bit different from Orbis:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1pMtvBYQSe97ZU9iojy8ouhIpUBZKkha0&usp=sharing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Everyone who had "mysterious ancient cubes" on your 2020 bingo card.

And here's one for like, three people here.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

We have such sights to show you

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is this one of them?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Noooo! My Sui Dynasty!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Lead had a lot of sorcerous uses, so the guy is probably cursed well and good at this point.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Grand Fromage posted:

:chefskiss:

boy do we love some late antiquity nose-onto-sandpaper grinding into Korea.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Lead had a lot of sorcerous uses, so the guy is probably cursed well and good at this point.

alternatively, some fisherman wanted to find out if cubes were a good shape for the weights on his net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

4th century BC Celtic:

Gilt bronze and red enamel