Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

don't you understand i'm so much faster because my finger motion is so EFFICIENT now!!

*watches him struggle to remember how to enter a line break for 30 seconds*

I mean like, what else are you going to use on a terminal

There's nano and vi and emacs but frankly none of those is clearly a better option even if you suck at vim

Well maybe emacs but that's pretty heavyweight for running on a remote server or whatever

I admit I'm kinda crap at vim but I still use it a fair bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

cargo culting after reading thousands of articles and books about super-productive 10xers

It's the same people writing their Angular apps as a one long line of taps like they're trying to communicate is loving Morse code.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

obviously none of that applies to using it instead of a local IDE or editor, which I guess was the intention, just saying I still use vim sometimes even if I don't remember most of it

maybe I should try and get better at it, but whenever I do I always forget everything within a few weeks

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
vim's a lot easier once you just give up on learning the more advanced motions and just start using visual mode for everything complicated ime

i do need to get better at using the surround motions though that's like the one thing i just straight up forgot how to do and i know is super useful

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao I ruined someone's day by pointing out that flash is gonna get removed from Windows installs in December and "we'll just run in ie compatibility mode" is not gonna let you carry on using Adobe/apache flex

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I have a question about how do do maven, my new job is basically a Java-shop and I haven’t touched that in 15(yikes, I’m an old now) years.
Right now I’m just doing the frontend but this place also needs some devops triage. Right now there is a develop and a master branch, were develop is merged to master when making a release. The pom in develop has some arbitrary -SNAPSHOT version that no one seems to care about. And on the master branch there is a version number that we care about. We have a pom file for each environment in a good old TFS repo and changing them is how a release gets deployed.

I have no idea if this is terrible or not, but I’m not going to be allowed to change it any time soon.

What I have been allowed to do is to take away everyones push privileges and force stuff through PRs, and to setup policies for them.

What I want is that when PRs to master has a check that verifies that the version in the pom doesn’t exist. And to make things easy I’d like to do it with a maven plugin. I found the external version plugin which should allow me to grab the version from the package.json pretty easily, but how to see if that version is new or not? My only idea that seems workable so far is to just use a script to curl our nexus artifact repository and hope for a 404.

But someone has got to have wanted to do this before me...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

redleader posted:

now all the jvm has to reinvent is supervisor trees and its convergence towards erlang will be complete

akka has supervisor trees but .... akka

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

zokie posted:

I have a question about how do do maven, my new job is basically a Java-shop and I haven’t touched that in 15(yikes, I’m an old now) years.
Right now I’m just doing the frontend but this place also needs some devops triage. Right now there is a develop and a master branch, were develop is merged to master when making a release. The pom in develop has some arbitrary -SNAPSHOT version that no one seems to care about. And on the master branch there is a version number that we care about. We have a pom file for each environment in a good old TFS repo and changing them is how a release gets deployed.

I have no idea if this is terrible or not, but I’m not going to be allowed to change it any time soon.

this is the standard way to use maven.

the working branches are all just $NEXT_THING-SNAPSHOT, and "real" versions are only found in artifacts that might be deployed

zokie posted:

What I have been allowed to do is to take away everyones push privileges and force stuff through PRs, and to setup policies for them.

this is not standard at all and is a very, very contentious thing to argue about

zokie posted:

What I want is that when PRs to master has a check that verifies that the version in the pom doesn’t exist. And to make things easy I’d like to do it with a maven plugin. I found the external version plugin which should allow me to grab the version from the package.json pretty easily, but how to see if that version is new or not? My only idea that seems workable so far is to just use a script to curl our nexus artifact repository and hope for a 404.

let nexus deal with this -- it will tell you to gently caress off if you try to upload the same version twice, and your jenkins just has to note the error and mark the build as failed

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

requiring reviewed prs is contentious?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao I ruined someone's day by pointing out that flash is gonna get removed from Windows installs in December and "we'll just run in ie compatibility mode" is not gonna let you carry on using Adobe/apache flex
I'm sure if you're really determined there will be some way to have flash just for one specific terrible legacy site, although I would not personally suggest that to anybody.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

requiring reviewed prs is contentious?
literally nowhere ive worked has been any different. Do Not Let User Accounts Push To Master.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

I'm sure if you're really determined there will be some way to have flash just for one specific terrible legacy site, although I would not personally suggest that to anybody.

our time sheet and budgeting system is all flex based lmbo

there was a whole thing of "we can just use flex! We don't need expensive developers we can get cheap heads in India!" like 10 ish years ago that got imported with a cto who basically got backhanders from some outsourcing Corp and it spewed out a poo poo load of flex apps that are still in use

it seems that you can in theory you can convert to Adobe air and some apache supported trash but lol at getting that done from a standing start with 6 months until you're hosed and after with the dev base we have

E: and none of this is my problem in any way so I am taking great delight in it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
guys

https://twitter.com/steveklabnik/status/1263190719721766918

idk i think i love it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my only worry is that I'd ship this with debugging turned on and really gently caress with people

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
But we don’t want to upload any release artifacts to nexus until the PRs are merged, that would remove the whole point of doing them in the first place.

Also forcing PRs is great and not bad in anyway. At my previous job we had an awesome pipeline that checked all sorts of stuff, like making sure we handled any changes to GraphQL schemas and OpenAPI specs. Just push to remote, open PR, link some work items, click auto-complete. Then you just have to nag your co-workers to review and fix anything that comes up. If you have any sort of CD you don’t want people just pushing their poo poo into master and risk breaking stuff for everyone else!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"we need some sort of system to control these jar versions"

"better make a new tool then, I don't think we have any systems for controlling versions"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Where the gently caress do you work that people can just push to master?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Xarn posted:

i'm just happy when my clients even use source control

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm just happy when my clients even use source control

:cripes:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
two sides of techlands.... correlated but not perfectly w figgielands vs not

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Xarn posted:

hello

edit: no wait I disabled that except for my own side projects nevermind

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Xarn posted:

hi

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Xarn posted:

force push, no less

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

a past boss once did git push -f before they changed the default to only push the current branch instead of all and we sure did have fun asking the last person to merge if they could push their local master again since it was the only one with the merge commit

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

rotor posted:

"we need some sort of system to control these jar versions"

"better make a new tool then, I don't think we have any systems for controlling versions"

Hey, I’m asking for help specifically because I’m new to this java stuff.

And when something breaks you want to know as early as possible, we could just do mvn verify or whatever is the proper thing to run for just checking if a PR builds OK. If we rely on nexus that means we only make sure the version gets bumped after we have already merged. It’ll be pretty annoying to have the release build fail just because someone forgot to bump the version. Releasing might not happen that often because this is a place that has IT Freezes all the god damned time (which I guess makes sense since if a bug stopped just one of the manufacturing lines in our factory attached to the HQ the company would lose hundreds of thousands of € per day). The key to making it nice to force PRs is reducing the friction and getting a fast feedback cycle.

Thinking more on this either I make my own maven plugin, which seems to be what maven is all about, or maybe we should switch our release process to using maven release or something similar...

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

why the gently caress does every single customer have that one guy who insists on using vim for everything but they absolutely suck at using it :cripes:

i've been watching this guy bungle around in a shared webex session for hours
at my previous job we had a junior dev that insisted on using Vim, presumably because his js writing heroes were using it.

it was infuriating having to wait a minute every time he'd want to ask me a question, clacking around on his mechanical keyboard, splitting and unsplitting his tmux windows accidentally, just to get to the line of code he had a question about

please note this was in a windows shop where the rest of us were just using visual studio

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 21, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tryhard juniors are a curse

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cold on a Cob posted:

cargo culting after reading thousands of articles and books about super-productive 10xers

hahahaha code completion goes brrrr

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
mods change my name to junior tryhard js hero

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

abraham linksys posted:

a past boss once did git push -f before they changed the default to only push the current branch instead of all and we sure did have fun asking the last person to merge if they could push their local master again since it was the only one with the merge commit

:murder:

I never ran into that, but when I teach people git, I tell them to use --force-with-lease, and if they actually need --force, then they are doing it wrong.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
git's defaults are ever-so-slowly getting less outright insane

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

zokie posted:

But we don’t want to upload any release artifacts to nexus until the PRs are merged, that would remove the whole point of doing them in the first place.

so dont. upload snapshots into your snapshot repo in nexus and then once you get to the point where everything is done and approved for that version, you just get rid of -snapshot and publish it to your release repo. At that point you consider that version totally immutable. Any future changes for that artifact require you start the process again with a new version-snapshot

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

zokie posted:

Hey, I’m asking for help specifically because I’m new to this java stuff.

And when something breaks you want to know as early as possible, we could just do mvn verify or whatever is the proper thing to run for just checking if a PR builds OK. If we rely on nexus that means we only make sure the version gets bumped after we have already merged. It’ll be pretty annoying to have the release build fail just because someone forgot to bump the version. Releasing might not happen that often because this is a place that has IT Freezes all the god damned time (which I guess makes sense since if a bug stopped just one of the manufacturing lines in our factory attached to the HQ the company would lose hundreds of thousands of € per day). The key to making it nice to force PRs is reducing the friction and getting a fast feedback cycle.

Thinking more on this either I make my own maven plugin, which seems to be what maven is all about, or maybe we should switch our release process to using maven release or something similar...

maven is about doing what other people do which in this case would be maven-release-plugin

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Xarn posted:

:murder:

I never ran into that, but when I teach people git, I tell them to use --force-with-lease, and if they actually need --force, then they are doing it wrong.

i had never heard of force-with-lease until, uh, yesterday

love that famously learnable ux of git

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you are asking for help with maven then you don't want to make your own maven plugin, you want to use the existing plugins. if your workflow does not match how the existing plugin works, well then maybe you should change your workflow because it works for everyone else. only once you are an expert on both maven and that workflow should you consider making a custom plugin

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

DrPossum posted:

mods change my name to junior tryhard js hero

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if you are asking for help with maven then you don't want to make your own maven plugin, you want to use the existing plugins. if your workflow does not match how the existing plugin works, well then maybe you should change your workflow because it works for everyone else. only once you are an expert on both maven and that workflow should you consider making a custom plugin

:yeah: but about everything

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

:five:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
tryhard junior js hero
tryhard junior js hero
tryhard junior js hero
new framework in July
on the metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i fuckin hate pull request workflow

everywhere i've worked that used that poo poo ended up with forever-forks with unfinished work that just needed one more change we'll meet about this again next week

at my last job i had a PR remain open for two years while people yak-shaved

it also makes CI/CD basically impossible -- since everyone is developing in a separate fork it's very difficult to "integrate" any changes in progress.