Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They expanded the Rooney Rule today actually: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29194925/nfl-approves-rooney-rule-changes-tables-minority-hiring-incentives and apparently there is some talk of awarding draft picks? But they didn't vote on that part. They expanded which positions need to have minority candidates interviewed for and made it two candidates instead of one for head coach (and from outside the organization? I don't know if that was always a requirement)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a false posted:

that's basically what turned out to be the case with carcillo

He was a garbage bag of poo poo off the ice when he played too, it was later he grew.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Remember when Steve Downie fought Landeskog and got traded off the Avs?

What a piece of poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LumpyGumby posted:

Remember when Steve Downie fought Landeskog and got traded off the Avs?

What a piece of poo poo.

that was the first thing I thought when I read his name in the article I was just like "jesus christ, it shouldn't surprise me that a player that fought his own captain, during a practice no less, has always been a massive piece of poo poo"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't remember Downie playing for the Pens at all. It looks like it was a full season and he had 14 goals but...I just don't remember it. Must've just blocked it out I guess.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What has always irked me is the racist hazing poo poo Downie did was never a secret. It came out straight away because Aliu complained about it. There was some discussion in the media about whether that should disqualify Downie from the WJC team. Then Gretzky took him golfing, decreed him a good kid and the media just went along with that like everything was resolved. Downie got a spot on Team Canada and had a successful NHL career doing the exact same poo poo.

Basically Gretzky is the worst and not the king of hockey but man do people ever love taking whatever dumb rich white guy bubble poo poo he says as somehow a binding decree for the sport.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Downie was an incredible fantasy hockey asset for a couple years there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reading that Ailu piece reminds me of what the US military had to go through a few decades ago with regard to stuff like hazing and bullying, and more recently, with sexual misconduct. While these problems have definitely not been solved (at least in the sense that they're effectively eradicated) they have improved by an order of magnitude in a relatively short period of time.

Super competitive/professional sports, much like militaries, are very highly regimented, have a lot of peculiar and very important organizational behaviors, and put a lot of value on tradition and uniformity. While all of these things as of right now are contributing to this ridiculous backwards hockey culture, the good news is they can very quickly become very useful tools for undoing a lot of those bad organizational norms.

In a highly bureaucratized and regimented culture, the rank-and-file are generally exceptionally willing to support whatever those in charge emphasize as important. When the power brokers in the US military -- admittedly under heavy pressure and direct orders from both the President and Congress -- made modernizing its culture a priority, it happened practically overnight. Some old timers grumbled about the death of the good old boy culture, but the vast majority of them stepped in line very, very quickly. This has happened many times -- the death of DADT, racial integration, and so on. Every time, there were naysayers who predicted it couldn't be done, and every time, it was done quickly, efficiently, and (hopefully) permanently.

All hockey (and other hypercompetitive/pro sports) need to do to effectively suppress this behavior is:

1) Ensure the power brokers make it clear it is unacceptable. In hockey, the power lies with NHL teams, and more specifically, GMs. If these guys make it totally clear that their organizations will not employ guys who do this poo poo, this poo poo will largely evaporate overnight.

2) Make the new rules clear, and enforce them. This will happen naturally if #1 occurs, but the actual mechanics of punishment are still very important in breaking the decades-old "traditions" that lead to this stuff.

3) Publicize your success. This isn't so much from a moneymaking standpoint -- though it will probably help with that, too. It is more to illustrate How Hockey Is Now to those 6 year olds and 10 year olds...and their coaches. Once those kids are drafted and take over the locker room, you've rebuilt your culture.

It all comes down to ending cycles. Downie probably did a lot of that poo poo because it was done to him by...I dunno, Cam Janssen? Who had it done to him by Jason Spezza. Who had it done to him by Raffi Torres. Or something. Anyway, once you undermine this mindset of "it has always been like this" the rest of the house of cards falls very quickly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: ATLANTA THRASHERS SIGHTING :siren:

quote:

2016 Stanley Cup Final
Game 6: Pittsburgh Penguins at San Jose Sharks (06/12/2018) — NHL Network, noon

2007 Western Conference Final
Game 6: Anaheim Ducks at Detroit Red Wings (05/20/2007) — NHL Network, 2 p.m.

2003 Stanley Cup Final
Game 6: New Jersey Devils at Anaheim Ducks (06/07/2003) — NHL Network, 4 p.m.

2007 Western Conference Quarterfinals
Game 1: Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks (04/11/2007) — NBCSN, 5:30 p.m.

2007 Stanley Cup Final
Game 5: Ottawa Senators at Anaheim Ducks (06/06/2007) — NHL Network, 6 p.m.

1987 Stanley Cup Final
Game 2: Philadelphia Flyers at Edmonton Oilers (05/20/1987) — NHL Network, 8 p.m.

Atlanta Thrashers at Pittsburgh Penguins (12/28/2010) — NHL Network, 8 a.m.
Minnesota Wild at Pittsburgh Penguins (10/12/2019) — NHL Network, 10 p.m.

2019 IIHF World U18 Championship
Bronze Medal Game: Canada vs. United States (04/28/2019) — NHL Network, midnight

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
What's with the two random Pens games?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Ah, that's a hard but good read.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

i am the bird posted:

What's with the two random Pens games?

Crosby's 25th game in his 25 game point streak is the Thrashers game.

The only notable things about the Pens/Wild game is uhh Murray won his 100th game?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Watching the 1996 St.Louis/Detroit Game 7 playoff game, and I was wondering why they had Jon Casey out there. Turns out Fuhr got injured in the first round thanks to Nick Kyperos. Fuhr was the guy that played 79 games that year, so this would have been a huge loss.

And yes, this was the year the Blues had Gretzky.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hurf durf my name is jon casey and i'm just gonna half rear end trying to stop this 100 foot slap shot because i'm a stupid doof

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I hope the Thrashers win tonight. I wish they would re-air more of these random midseason games where I don't have a good chance of knowing the outcome.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

myron cope posted:

They expanded the Rooney Rule today actually: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29194925/nfl-approves-rooney-rule-changes-tables-minority-hiring-incentives and apparently there is some talk of awarding draft picks? But they didn't vote on that part. They expanded which positions need to have minority candidates interviewed for and made it two candidates instead of one for head coach (and from outside the organization? I don't know if that was always a requirement)

To answer the last question, it wasn’t a prior requirement for the candidate to be from outside the organization. Part of the original intent of the Rooney Rule was to allow minority coaches to get interviews and exposure from them, to bolster their chances of getting jobs down the line if they didn’t get the one they were interviewing for.

The problem was, teams would sight in on a specific coach they wanted well in advance, and to meet the Rooney Rule, they’d throw a half-assed interview to a minority that was already on the staff of the head coach who was already being fired. So, they’d interview some position or assistant coach that never had a shot at being a coordinator (For those who aren’t NFL fans, coaching staffs can easily have 15-20 people like that), much less the head coach, and then go hire the same retreads they usually did. It became very much a joke with some hirings, and even with the new changes, I doubt it’ll stop the NFL from constantly rehiring idiots who want to run a team like it’s still 1985.

Given how the NHL changes coaches much more frequently than the NFL, often mid season, I have no idea how it’d be implemented effectively.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 20, 2020

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Read that Aliu thing. It's important.

I hope that Pens /Thrashers game is the one where Kane fought Cooke.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Given how the NHL changes coaches much more frequently than the NFL, often mid season, I have no idea how it’d be implemented effectively.

I don’t think it’s possible to implement at the NHL level at this time as the pipeline just isn’t there. In the NFL there’s probably like at least 10 minority dudes who are deserving of a promotion that can’t get a legit interview. There needs to be a much greater emphasis by Hockey Canada and USA at the ground level because it’s unrealistic to expect people to be able to coach even at an NHL assistant level without working through the AHL/ECHL/CHL/NCAA ranks. It’s not as flashy and cool sounding, but seeing the results at the NHL level needs the end game goal rather than where you start.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mandate all women coaches. Might solve a few problems, come to think of it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

deoju posted:

I hope that Pens /Thrashers game is the one where Kane fought Cooke.

It's not, sorry :(

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I hope the Thrashers win tonight. I wish they would re-air more of these random midseason games where I don't have a good chance of knowing the outcome.

E: oh i'm wrong again. fuckin nhlnetwork schedule. anyway yeah they already played it

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 20, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO9qC2ua8Sg

here's a lot of hall of famers and some absolutely top shelf hockey hair

for reference, Mario used my shootout move, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSK8t2zqoM

lol at dudes ripping clappers in an all star skill comp, and also lol @ mario

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 20, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Matt Cooke hardly ever fought and the few times he did he invariably got his rear end kicked

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DGB has every team's worst downgrade and there are some gems

quote:

Anaheim Ducks
The 2003 divorce from Paul Kariya was ugly, complicated and depressing. The Ducks had just made a miracle run to within one win of a Stanley Cup, only to see the front office walk away from the face of the franchise after he refused to take a pay cut. That was bad; watching him reunite with another Ducks icon to chase a Cup somewhere else (and for far cheaper) was worse. Ah well, at least the team will turn around use that money they just saved to land a new top-line left winger to lead the team into the next season and beyond, right? Oh.

The downgrade: Paul Kariya to Vinny Prospal, 2003 (first-line left winger)

Edmonton Oilers
Maybe, and I’m probably overthinking this. But I’m going to go with the idea I suggested last week, and what may be the most specific moment on the entire list: The downgrade from Dwayne Roloson to Ty Conklin with five minutes left in Game 1 of the 2006 final. Yes, it was one game, but to this day I think it cost them the Stanley Cup.

Los Angeles Kings
On Feb. 27, 1996, Kings fans woke up to a team whose first-line center was the greatest player in the history of the sport. By the end of the day, Wayne Gretzky had been traded for a big pile of not much, and their first-line center was now Yanic Perreault. That’s not the sound of a window closing, it’s a window slamming shut. And then exploding. And then your entire house falls over.

New York Islanders
Commenters suggested going from a young Roberto Luongo to a young Rick DiPietro, which wasn’t a single transaction but still basically fits, as well as Pierre Turgeon turning into the hated Kirk Muller. And of course, we could mention the whole fish sticks logo thing. But we don’t need to, because I think I can go with my original suggestion: dropping from the dynasty owner who delivered four Cups to an actual con man.

The downgrade: John Pickett to John Spano, 1996 (owner)

Winnipeg Jets
We did say we’re going by franchise, so we can lean on that technicality to bring in the Thrasher years. But even that doesn’t help much since you have to have something good before you can downgrade it. Kari Lehtonen to Ondrej Pavelec? Probably a downgrade, but not a steep one. Ilya Kovalchuk was traded for a package built around a defenceman. So we’ll go with the Thrashers other bad trade from the era, one in which there was at least some overlap in terms of position.

The downgrade: Marian Hossa to Colby Armstrong, 2008 (top-six right winger)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
How loose are they going for there? Like the actual Kariya replacement was Fedorov

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

My guess about taking on Ballard as the owner for the Leafs was correct!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How loose are they going for there? Like the actual Kariya replacement was Fedorov

DGB is pretty loose. He is more having fun with the question than anything else. I enjoy reading him because he does have interesting things to say, but also packages it in a largely informal, comedic way.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Naslund one definitely sucked for the Pens but I'm sure he would have been summarily traded before long due to the endless budget issues the Pens had in the 90s/2000s anyways.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

My guess about taking on Ballard as the owner for the Leafs was correct!

There’s pretty much no other choice for that one. How bad would the previous owner have to have been that Ballard wouldn’t have been the correct choice? Like even if he bought the team off a partnership of Bill Wirtz and Melnyk, I’d still call Ballard getting control the worst downgrade.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The John Spano story gets linked or brought up every few years or so, and every single time I read it it's like the first time I've ever read it and I'm blown away. The whole thing is just astounding.

I need to go watch that 30 for 30 on it again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

The Naslund one definitely sucked for the Pens but I'm sure he would have been summarily traded before long due to the endless budget issues the Pens had in the 90s/2000s anyways.

For the Penguins it bears remembering that Mike Johnston took over a team that had finished 1st or 2nd five straight years under Dan loving Bylsma, led it to just barely eking out an 8 seed and a quick first round exit in his only full season, and had them out of playoff position in December when he got shitcanned, whereupon they instantly became the best team in the league and won back to back Cups.

I didn’t think it was possible to downgrade that far from Byslma, but boy did Johnston prove me wrong.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I was at that Pens/Thrashers game, it was pretty awesome. I think Crosby had 4 points? And then the streak ended like the next day I think. I don't get to go to too many games (and especially not then when I didn't live in PA)

I was also at the 2009 playoff game against the Hurricanes where Malkin had a hat trick and that crazy behind the back goal, that one owned too.

E: noted shithead Patrice Cormier didn't kill anyone that game (I don't think)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Twin Cinema posted:

Watching the 1996 St.Louis/Detroit Game 7 playoff game, and I was wondering why they had Jon Casey out there. Turns out Fuhr got injured in the first round thanks to Nick Kyperos. Fuhr was the guy that played 79 games that year, so this would have been a huge loss.

And yes, this was the year the Blues had Gretzky.

Jon Casey went to the same church as me when he lived in St Louis (I played CYC soccer with his kid). My family was on vacation in Florida when Game 7 happened (I always tell people that Steve Yzerman ruined Space Mountain for me), but apparently our pastor spotted him at whatever Sunday mass he went to and after communion he gave a very good speech about how one of our parishioners is going through a difficult time right now. Jon stood up after this and got a standing ovation from the congregation.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Troy Queef posted:

Jon Casey went to the same church as me when he lived in St Louis (I played CYC soccer with his kid). My family was on vacation in Florida when Game 7 happened (I always tell people that Steve Yzerman ruined Space Mountain for me), but apparently our pastor spotted him at whatever Sunday mass he went to and after communion he gave a very good speech about how one of our parishioners is going through a difficult time right now. Jon stood up after this and got a standing ovation from the congregation.

Jesus saves, but Casey could not

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Detroit's downgrade should 100% be Bowman to Dave Lewis

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

For the Penguins it bears remembering that Mike Johnston took over a team that had finished 1st or 2nd five straight years under Dan loving Bylsma, led it to just barely eking out an 8 seed and a quick first round exit in his only full season, and had them out of playoff position in December when he got shitcanned, whereupon they instantly became the best team in the league and won back to back Cups.

I didn’t think it was possible to downgrade that far from Byslma, but boy did Johnston prove me wrong.

In fairness, Sully has proven to be more than a one year wonder. He's been one of the top coaches in the league since taking over.

Mike Johnston was pretty bad though.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1263257562633383936

The relevant portion of that article:

quote:

The top four seeds (based on points percentage) in the East would be Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia. Top four in the West would be St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas and Dallas.

They would receive byes through the play-in, but participate in a three-game tournament to get some action. I confess I’m not certain of all the details on if or how it would affect playoff seeding.

The rest of the playoffs would be “bracketed.” That means, in both conferences 5 vs. 12 (winner plays four seed), 6 vs. 11 (winner plays three seed), 7 vs. 10 (winner plays two seed) and 8 vs. 9 (winner plays one seed).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think the Rangers draw Carolina in that scenario. gently caress it whatever give me hockey now that The Last Dance is over.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/AdamVingan/status/1263268279243726848

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/swhyno/status/1263283217311961088?s=21

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dallas in a top four? Resounding success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm watching this 87 Flyers/Oilers game and LOVING it. Goalies used to be so much more fun to watch.

Also I absolutely cannot believe how bad Marty Mcsorley was at ice skating.