Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's The Wizard. Other appearances included Brainwave, Solomon Grundy, Icicle, Sportsmaster, and Tigress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruceski posted:

That's The Wizard. Other appearances included Brainwave, Solomon Grundy, Icicle, Sportsmaster, and Tigress.

Okay, so DC has two characters who dress like 1950s Stage Magicians? I missed Sportsmaster, but I did see Golden Age Sandman in the mansion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC probably has a dozen characters that dress like stage magicians/performers. A lot of comic book heroes took their visual inspirations from circus and stage costuming.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, so DC has two characters who dress like 1950s Stage Magicians?
They've got like 9. probably 12 if you include all the Fawcett characters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, so DC has two characters who dress like 1950s Stage Magicians? I missed Sportsmaster, but I did see Golden Age Sandman in the mansion.

He was the, well, dude with the bat in the beginning.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, speaking of old villains, I meant to remark on being surprised that Ratcatcher was in the last episode. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything Batman related aside from a few offhand mentions in the Arkham games.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

twistedmentat posted:

Stargirl was fine. I'm not really a fan of the down home small town stuff, and the premise seems a bit thin they moved to Cornhole Nebraska because the people who killed the JSA relocated there? That can support maybe a season, but it's gonna end up like one of those bad CWDC seasons where the villain keeps getting away because the heroes have to talk out their issues rather than you know, securing the mass murdering super powered being

Also when did Zatan become a villain? I assume that's who the magician at the mansion was. Actually there's something that can get me really into the show, Zatana becoming her bfff

I thought they moved there because the mother found a job there. Stripey didn't do it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

There's also Sargon the Sorcerer who died in the same event as Zatara. It was the culmination of the Swamp Thing "American Gothic" story line where John Constantine joins Sargon and Zatara and with the help of Swamp Thing defeats the Great Darkness, a force left over from before the creation of the universe. The aftermath of this event is why in Sandman when Dream enters Hell it is ruled by the Triumvirate.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

muscles like this! posted:

There's also Sargon the Sorcerer who died in the same event as Zatara. It was the culmination of the Swamp Thing "American Gothic" story line where John Constantine joins Sargon and Zatara and with the help of Swamp Thing defeats the Great Darkness, a force left over from before the creation of the universe. The aftermath of this event is why in Sandman when Dream enters Hell it is ruled by the Triumvirate.

My God, DC’s cosmology is so much cooler than Marvel’s.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Does anybody know if HBO Max will be carrying DC Universe content?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the only one officially announced is Doom Patrol.

Nanigans posted:

My God, DC’s cosmology is so much cooler than Marvel’s.

Technically the actual factual capital G God of the DC Universe used to be a pre-teen girl who also spent thousands of years as a goddess in an alternate universe created by Lucifer. She took over Heaven after God abdicated and left the Throne empty.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Technically the actual factual capital G God of the DC Universe used to be a pre-teen girl who also spent thousands of years as a goddess in an alternate universe created by Lucifer. She took over Heaven after God abdicated and left the Throne empty.

That's without getting into things like the godwave and fifth world, source wall, presence/Spectre, Destiny of the Endless, and so much more

Marvel's cosmic stuff tends to be backyard six year old NUH UH I DODGE IT stuff but DC has an entire three tiered bureaucracy you need a pinboard and paranoid schizophrenia to map out

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Flash villain Abra Kadabra also dresses like an old magician

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Chokes McGee posted:

That's without getting into things like the godwave and fifth world, source wall, presence/Spectre, Destiny of the Endless, and so much more

Marvel's cosmic stuff tends to be backyard six year old NUH UH I DODGE IT stuff but DC has an entire three tiered bureaucracy you need a pinboard and paranoid schizophrenia to map out

Is there something more to know about Destiny of the Endless? I've read all of Sandman.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Argue posted:

Is there something more to know about Destiny of the Endless? I've read all of Sandman.

Supposedly he was there when the Presence spoke The Word who also turned into God's own killing machine and will be there at the end right before Death puts the chairs on the tables and locks the universe as she leaves

When you throw the Endless in with Kirby's stuff and the Green Lantern/Crisis stuff poo poo gets nuts quick

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Argue posted:

I'd say the big thing to remember is that you should read Lucifer, which is a very good sequel/spin-off of Gaiman's Sandman that really pushes the lore he established to its cosmic limits.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

And they say it's an anime only problem

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Flash villain Abra Kadabra also dresses like an old magician

I loved the Powerpuff Girls villain Abra Cavader. He was amazing. An undead magician, accidentally killed by a little child after a trick goes horribly wrong and he falls into an iron maiden, who's only goal is to kill Blossom because she happens to look exactly like the girl who killed him decades ago. Every other villain wants money or power and the Girls just happen to be in their way - this guy straight up wanted Blossom dead, that was it. It was such a pure motive and a creepy character to boot.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I liked it better when the God of DC Universe was Jerry Seigel/Jack Kirby's hand. I always thought that was a nice touch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stargirl was a lot of fun. Didn't expect a couple of certain characters to show up. I think it might have worked better if they'd aired both parts at once but it was still enjoyable especially for a DCCW pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was a little unfocused. Also the high school characters could be a little less cliched.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The worst part of Stargirl was that I am utterly incapable of seeing Joel McHale in costume without my brain interpreting it as an unusually elaborate gimmick episode of Community. Or wait, that might be the best part of Stargirl.

I liked the overall feel of it even if the first episode felt really focused on making sure everyone and everything got an introduction. And the effects work was a step up from the CW usual, which is nice even if I don't have super high expectations for TV supers.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Killer robot posted:

The worst part of Stargirl was that I am utterly incapable of seeing Joel McHale in costume without my brain interpreting it as an unusually elaborate gimmick episode of Community. Or wait, that might be the best part of Stargirl.

Wait, what?

I guess I have to watch this now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, have you seen him with his shirt off? Dude's been rocking a super hero physique for ages now.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Phylodox posted:

Wait, what?

I guess I have to watch this now.

He plays Starman in the prologue, set ten years before the present. I saw the role listed as recurring, so it's likely there will be more of him even if just in flashbacks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I mean, have you seen him with his shirt off? Dude's been rocking a super hero physique for ages now.

And that was for like Community which absolutely did not require such.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

And that was for like Community which absolutely did not require such.

I mean, Jacobs and Brie are both gorgeous and DonGlover started getting ripped as well so he probably felt pressured to get hotter.

And drat if his hair isn't perfect.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Killer robot posted:

He plays Starman in the prologue, set ten years before the present. I saw the role listed as recurring, so it's likely there will be more of him even if just in flashbacks.

Starman's death scene is classic Winger

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Killer robot posted:

I laughed out loud when Stargirl is rummaging through Pat's stuff and immediately uncovers a picture hidden behind the fishing photo. I think it was me trying to understand why he would even put it there, but also the fact that all these superheroes are lined up like it was a yearbook class photo. And it's all bent and faded of course, because this was from the ancient long-ago times of *checks notes* 2010.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Ovenmaster posted:

I laughed out loud when Stargirl is rummaging through Pat's stuff and immediately uncovers a picture hidden behind the fishing photo. I think it was me trying to understand why he would even put it there, but also the fact that all these superheroes are lined up like it was a yearbook class photo. And it's all bent and faded of course, because this was from the ancient long-ago times of *checks notes* 2010.

Photoshop CS5 had just come out and Stripesy was going through his filter phase, okay?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's definitely a bit of a disconnect for be between seeing McHale's scruffy face on the bright, clean and patriotic OG Starman suit. It reeks of being from the 50s so it feels so off. Part of me definitely wonders if they originally designed Starman to be much older to follow the original version a little closer, but then they got McHale to be Starman and they just rewrote it so that Stripsey was older than Starman instead.

The high school stuff is definitely ultra cliched and at least one of the people at the Singles table is gonna join Stargirl's new super team, if not all of them. The amount of POC in the extras and secondary characters is pretty interesting even though this is the middle of nowhere in Nebraska. Still, this does feel like a series that might be more tailored to a slightly younger crowd than the CW's or at least a crowd that prefers less drama. Idk if it will work, but it's plainly obvious how much money was thrown at the series.

Question: This is presumably not Vancouver (again). Where is this one being filmed?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Xelkelvos posted:

Question: This is presumably not Vancouver (again). Where is this one being filmed?

Atlanta, I think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It low key bothers me that McHale is actually playing Skyman.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If I had to case McHale as a 2000-era JSA member, I'd probably picked Sandman or Jack Knight Starman

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Rhyno posted:

It's still bugging me that he isn't a member of the Knight family, unless they're saving some connection about that for later episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

It's still bugging me that he isn't a member of the Knight family, unless they're saving some connection about that for later episodes.

Either McHales character was secretly part of it, or the rod might've been stolen from them and be part of an S2 thing (like the previous Starman turns out to have just been some rich schmuck who could also use the Rod and Courtney's real dad is a Knight).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dawgstar posted:

Stargirl was a lot of fun. Didn't expect a couple of certain characters to show up. I think it might have worked better if they'd aired both parts at once but it was still enjoyable especially for a DCCW pilot.

Yeah, it definitely felt like "we made a 2-hour episode and had to cut it somewhere" for the pacing.

Also the high school characters could be a little less cliched.

I'm reluctant to throw in on this because there were enough ominous shots of people looking shifty that I think that might be the gimmick. Some Pleasantville thing going on.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 21, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Could there be a rights thing with Jack Knight?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Could there be a rights thing with Jack Knight?

I saw that James Robinson had an EP credit on the show, but he also had that "gentlemen's agreement" with DC that nobody else can write Jack Knight, at least not without his approval. Neil Gaiman had a similar agreement about Morpheus.

But I was so disappointed that Ted and Jack Knight were written out of Stargirl's story, and Skyman/Star-Spangled Kid/Pemberton was thrust into the Starman role, especially since Robinson co-wrote the early issues of JSA with Johns. Robinson even mentored Johns as a new writer at DC. Starman is my all-time favorite comic, and I always thought it would make a perfect TV series. Before, the chances of that happening were slim, but now it seems like that will never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I saw that James Robinson had an EP credit on the show, but he also had that "gentlemen's agreement" with DC that nobody else can write Jack Knight, at least not without his approval. Neil Gaiman had a similar agreement about Morpheus.

But I was so disappointed that Ted and Jack Knight were written out of Stargirl's story, and Skyman/Star-Spangled Kid/Pemberton was thrust into the Starman role, especially since Robinson co-wrote the early issues of JSA with Johns. Robinson even mentored Johns as a new writer at DC. Starman is my all-time favorite comic, and I always thought it would make a perfect TV series. Before, the chances of that happening were slim, but now it seems like that will never happen.

If Robinson is listed in the credits and involved, I'm sure he has some sort of ideas and plans for how to incorporate the character into the show and bigger plans overall. Putting it into S1 where even the most basic parts hasn't even been set up like "who/what is Starman" would've probably felt like squeezing too much into a single season and saved it for another one. Let the Heroine stand on her own two feet before trying to build up a greater mythology behind her.