Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even though I know it’s pronounced Darkside my brain still pronounces it darkseed when I read it.

Does your brain also pronounce Einstein as "Eensteen"? How about "Frahnkensteen"? :v:

Actually, does that mean Darkseid is German?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Eh! Frank posted:

Does your brain also pronounce Einstein as "Eensteen"? How about "Frahnkensteen"? :v:

Actually, does that mean Darkseid is German?

The -n after the ei- makes a huge difference in how I read things. I guess it’s from running into that syllable pronounced that way all the time, whereas I see -eid prounonced as “eed” all the time, usually in names. Never really thought about that before you mentioned it. Language is weird!

E:Even weirder, I just realized that I have no problem reading it as “ide” when it’s surrounded by German words or part of a word like “apartheid” where the rest of the word is obviously foreign. Yaaaay priming. Cognitive psychology is also weird!

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 00:05 on May 21, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You've also got words like "seize" where "sei-" ends up being pronounced something like "see-".

I thought it was Darkseed when I first read it too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

English is three languages wearing a trenchcoat and you can't trust spelling to tell you how to pronounce a word.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That's where I got it from. Siege, seizure, seine, etc.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I read a story about Falk that was especially sad: They wanted to do one more Columbo story and approached Falk, but by that time, his Alzheimer's was so bad, he didn't even remember being Columbo.

I've been comfort-watching Columbo and I didn't know this particular piece of information and it's the worst thing I've read in a series of "this is the worst thing I've read"s for a drat while.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Columbo owns as a cop and as a character. He exclusively goes after white collar criminals to the point of even frequently enlisting the help of petty offenders and drug dealers to catch them. I think he says a few times he literally doesn’t care about those crimes, and is also a charming and lovable man we are all worse off now Peter Falk is dead

https://mitchclem.tumblr.com/post/26005094327/amp

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The weirdest part is in the other direction, how the newspapers manage to not spell it "Darkside" in universe. Is there one of his minions whose job is to dial up saying "Actually, it's DeSaad, two a's. And Apokalips has a k, an I, and no e"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You've also got words like "seize" where "sei-" ends up being pronounced something like "see-".

I thought it was Darkseed when I first read it too.

I first encountered him on the latter seasons of Superfriends, so he was always "-side" to me, and didn't notice it written until years later.

Was recently reading through Kirby's new Gods stuff, and the initial impression I got of Darkseid was that he kind of felt like a mid-tier super-villain, so when Orion and his sidekicks get back to the city apartment they're staying in and find him sitting on the couch, waiting for them , it felt kind of normal screwing-with-your-foe stuff.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Thranguy posted:

The weirdest part is in the other direction, how the newspapers manage to not spell it "Darkside" in universe. Is there one of his minions whose job is to dial up saying "Actually, it's DeSaad, two a's. And Apokalips has a k, an I, and no e"

Apokalips is one of the most evil places in the universe, filled with suffering and mad gods who do as they please. Of course they've got a really good legal team to sort out proper spelling with other planets, it's like the homeworld for lawyers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

All you really need to know is

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Thranguy posted:

I reckon Darkseid does this himself. If he can take the time to remould your lounge chair to the shape of his craggy buttocks, then he'll have the time to personally call the Daily Planet to ensure correct spelling.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I read a story about Falk that was especially sad: They wanted to do one more Columbo story and approached Falk, but by that time, his Alzheimer's was so bad, he didn't even remember being Columbo.

Doesn’t sound like an issue to me?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Last Chance posted:

they made a lethal weapon tv show? lol

It was pretty good too. It opens with Riggs on a mission in Texas, then he gets the call from the hospital about his wife. They did a great job of handling his trauma against the Murtaugh's home life. Keesha Sharp as Trish Murtaugh really holds the show together, she did a fantastic job with very good material.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

muscles like this! posted:

idgi

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

Always Sunny theme plays.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'd like to think that a lot of the criminals Columbo took down confessed just so he would leave them alone.

It's actually the other way round. Falk really wanted to do Columbo's Last Case to mark the 40th anniversary of the character, using a previously unused script from the string of TV movies. But the networks all refused to take on the project because Falk was 80 years old and they didn't think it was marketable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wings of Desire is canon btw and Peter Falk was actually a celestial being that chose to live among humanity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the headspace idiocy, my brain is kind of like velcro for media - anything I watch or read tends to stick to it and not ever be forgotten, while anything important like if i'm trying to learn a language, tends to slip out too easily. It's really annoying. I can remember what a character said in a cartoon I watched 20 years ago pretty much word for word but for the life of me I can't easily remember a list of japanese verbs for a class I took the week before without working my rear end off to get it to stick.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Jedit posted:

It's actually the other way round. Falk really wanted to do Columbo's Last Case to mark the 40th anniversary of the character, using a previously unused script from the string of TV movies. But the networks all refused to take on the project because Falk was 80 years old and they didn't think it was marketable.

The number of unused Columbo scripts with amazing titles that never saw the light of day is tragic.

http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/unpublished.htm

Columbo in the Greatest Night in the History of Fights!!!

Take my life, please!!!!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I hope david in that thanos birthday comic was gearing up to give the chronicles of riddick speech when thanos cut him off.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well I hated what I've seen of that, so all the more reason. :shrug:

how do you possibly hate a naked greased up danny devito being birthed from a couch in front of a crowd of onlookers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

how do you possibly hate a naked greased up danny devito being birthed from a couch in front of a crowd of onlookers

That sounds gross. :shrug:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Do not compare gutter trash like Teen Titans Go to the masterpiece that is Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Do not compare gutter trash like Teen Titans Go to the masterpiece that is Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Teen Titans Go is better than the original series. Get over it already.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So is Thundercats Roar, which is an incredibly funny, engagingly animated, and well-constructed series.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
But does it have robear burbles.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Volcott posted:

But does it have robear burbles.

Yes, the Berbils are in it starting with the first episode. It's hugely faithful to the source material.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It also has, so far, Safari Joe, all the mutants, Ratar-o, the unicorns, the Warrior Maidens, Panthro's fear of bats, Snowman and Snowmeow, Mandora, Dr. Dometome, the Berserkers, the Bolkians, Driller, the crab men... offhand.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Teen Titans Go is better than the original series. Get over it already.

I'm not even talking about it in terms of the original series. It's just a very unpleasant thing to watch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pick posted:

Yes, the Berbils are in it starting with the first episode. It's hugely faithful to the source material.

So it's a mediocre show designed to sell action figures to kids?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

So it's a mediocre show designed to sell action figures to kids?

No, it's actually really funny and clever. It's an animated KC Green comic in all but name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omqV8XIdzwE

Pick has a new favorite as of 04:38 on May 23, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of how people say Steven Universe is just to sell toys to kids, and like, there's almost loving zero merchandise for it and what little there is is cheap garbage that's almost impossible to find.

They don't really do toy commercial cartoons anymore besides Transformers and My Little Pony.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It was a joke about how that's what Thunder Cats was

Pick said it was true to the original series

Jeez goons

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They don't really do toy commercial cartoons anymore besides Transformers and My Little Pony.

Paw Patrol? PJ Masks? Thomas the Tank Engine?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how people say Steven Universe is just to sell toys to kids, and like, there's almost loving zero merchandise for it and what little there is is cheap garbage that's almost impossible to find.

Who needs toys anymore when you can just sell kids cheap licensed mobile games instead?

(Ever wondered why you don't see licensed games on PC and console anymore? Because they are now all on Google/Apple App Store)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm not even talking about it in terms of the original series. It's just a very unpleasant thing to watch.

I mean so is Sunny.

Sunny is actually a bit more unpleasant honestly

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

difference is sunny is funny and ttg isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sometimes it’s funny, a lot of the time it isn’t.

A very feast or famine show which is why I understand how someone can bounce off it