Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

clown shoes posted:

Is Pearl Islands the funniest season of Survivor? Sandra dismantling the other tribe's shelter just to take their tarp is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I see why she's so beloved. I can't wait to see how she wins. Also, the Ryan tribe is comically inept.

I think it has been to panama. Though I think the first episode of Pearl Islands is the best episode of the show.

It's basically a group of true wackos who hate each other with a seething passion but somehow win and stick together.

Highlighted by
-Bruce and Bobby take the last of the win and get drunk in the outhouse
-Shane shows Cirie his dick for medical advise
-Bruce gets med evacs with a naked shane and Courtney's unwanted singing
-Shane threatens to go to Courtney's lovely apartment and kill her after the game if she votes against him and Courtney gets angry because her apartment isnt lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Pearl Islands: I always thought Rupert made it close to the very end and got voted out at like 5 or 4 so seeing him get voted out so soon after the merge was a shock. I really enjoyed his relationship with Sandra. Johnny Fairplay is fun yet annoying. Didn't he kill his grandmother or something?

I really don't think the edit has leaned too heavily in Sandra. I know she wins but right now it doesn't seem like that, edit wise. I bet now that Rupert is gone there will be a lot more Sandra, this is her time to rise to Queen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

clown shoes posted:

Johnny Fairplay is fun yet annoying. Didn't he kill his grandmother or something?

lmao

it's like one of those tweets where you have to badly describe your favorite tv show/video game/etc

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

P.S. Let me know if I'm making GBS threads up the thread with decades old Survivor talk. I would be following along the season with the appropriate TV IV thread (like I have been all the other more recent seasons) if I could find it but so far even google can't find it, if there even is one. Anyone have a link?

I think I might watch Panama next. I've heard a lot about this season.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

clown shoes posted:

P.S. Let me know if I'm making GBS threads up the thread with decades old Survivor talk.

No, seeing people watching old seasons and commenting on them is a lot of fun!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Otteration posted:

Long ago and far away, but blame Jeff for that, not Nat. 🙂
I blame Jeff for letting a voted out player get back into the game at F6. As a hypothetical juror weighing Nat’s game, I can consider the fact she spent most of the game on Extinction, due to her being voted out, when casting my FTC vote.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

JOHN CENA posted:

I'm watchin 2017 aussie survivor and I honestly love this cast. I think a big part of it is the longer episodes lending to us getting to know them better.

Another smart thing The Challenge did was switch over to 90 minute episodes. They experimented with two hour episodes and honestly they were kind of boring but 90 seems to be the sweet spot.

clown shoes posted:

P.S. Let me know if I'm making GBS threads up the thread with decades old Survivor talk. I would be following along the season with the appropriate TV IV thread (like I have been all the other more recent seasons) if I could find it but so far even google can't find it, if there even is one. Anyone have a link?

I think I might watch Panama next. I've heard a lot about this season.

I enjoy it, keep it up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Pearl Islands: I always thought Rupert made it close to the very end and got voted out at like 5 or 4 so seeing him get voted out so soon after the merge was a shock. I really enjoyed his relationship with Sandra. Johnny Fairplay is fun yet annoying. Didn't he kill his grandmother or something?

I really don't think the edit has leaned too heavily in Sandra. I know she wins but right now it doesn't seem like that, edit wise. I bet now that Rupert is gone there will be a lot more Sandra, this is her time to rise to Queen.

When I was re-watching, I didn't think she won that season until I saw it. I think they did a good job of editing her like her gameplay, subtle and effective.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sandra's moment where she really shines comes at the F5 tribal where she orchestrates Burton's boot and completely steals the game away from Johnny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdEQ6k0Eyw&t=477s Video of her crowning moment.

Max fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 20, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She's also a great self-advocate. It always hurts when someone gets to the end but can't thread the story for themselves.

Is it me or does that jury look small? Maybe two many recent seasons with 40 person juries is throwing me off.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Pearl Islands: In her final plea to the jury, Lil says she wishes she had put her scout uniform to the side. She literally wore it on the show! That uniform is a mood and represents a wholesome philosophy that is not compatible with Survivor. I love how no one wanted to bring her to the end because they said she'd win but she only comes off as a kook this entire season. Is she the most bizarre caricature this show has ever had? I honestly can't stand her. Not only can I see how Sandra won, but I suspect it may be a landslide.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

clown shoes posted:

Is she the most bizarre caricature this show has ever had?

not even close

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
7 Jury members with a final 2. 16 players overall.

Final vote: 6-1, with Tijuana voting for Lil. You might remember Tijuana calling Sandra a bitch when she was taking apart the shelter.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

clown shoes posted:

Pearl Islands: In her final plea to the jury, Lil says she wishes she had put her scout uniform to the side. She literally wore it on the show! That uniform is a mood and represents a wholesome philosophy that is not compatible with Survivor. I love how no one wanted to bring her to the end because they said she'd win but she only comes off as a kook this entire season. Is she the most bizarre caricature this show has ever had? I honestly can't stand her. Not only can I see how Sandra won, but I suspect it may be a landslide.

To give Lil credit, they weren't told that they were starting the competition, just to get dressed for a photo shoot. She's said after that if she knew she was going to be stuck with one outfit she never would have worn that.

She is also far from the most bizarre person that has been on the show, and I think gets kind of unfairly poo poo on. She did smoke Johnny Fairplay in that final comp.

Max fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 21, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget that loving Coach exists lmao

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I want Coach to write an autobiography. I won't believe a loving word of it but I desperately want him to write it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He should costar in a sequel to The Room

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't find the clip, probably buried in some compilation video but I love the scene where Jonny Fairplay is all butthurt that lil is being too sad and is taking away any emotional spotlight he wanted to have. like, not even really about what news he had just the fact that she was more visibly emotional

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Token Female posted:

I think it has been to panama. Though I think the first episode of Pearl Islands is the best episode of the show.

It's basically a group of true wackos who hate each other with a seething passion but somehow win and stick together.

Highlighted by
-Bruce and Bobby take the last of the win and get drunk in the outhouse
-Shane shows Cirie his dick for medical advise
-Bruce gets med evacs with a naked shane and Courtney's unwanted singing
-Shane threatens to go to Courtney's lovely apartment and kill her after the game if she votes against him and Courtney gets angry because her apartment isnt lovely.
It's been a long time since I've watched it but Shane going crazy was so good

e. There's probably some older seasons I still haven't seen. Never watched Boston robs first appearance

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

So wait did Johnny Fairplay spoil the All-Stars season during the reunion show? He just mentioned it and Jeff looked kind of pissed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2014/02/definitive-ranking-every-season-survivor/358537/

This was a fun read, author obviously has a bone to pick with Jeff and this was written at a time when Jeff was maybe burnt out.

I forgot how close Parvati came to being the first two-time winner. She was basically Backup Queen.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

^^ That was one of the lists I used a few years back when I started watching random seasons.

I wanted to see Parv and Ozzy's first season so now I'm watching Cook Islands.

Is Island of the Idols worth watching? I know there's the whole controversy and that CBS really dropped the ball but I'm kind of curious and I've heard the season is good despite the incidents. I would love some more Sandra but I'm not sure how much more Boston Rob I can take.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2014/02/definitive-ranking-every-season-survivor/358537/

This was a fun read, author obviously has a bone to pick with Jeff and this was written at a time when Jeff was maybe burnt out.

I forgot how close Parvati came to being the first two-time winner. She was basically Backup Queen.

She still would have been 2 for 3 so not as impressive as when Sandra was 2 for 2.

Just as Wendell and Jeremy proved with math that they're better winners than Tyson.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Do not watch Island of the Idols. Read a summary of it.

It had a promising pre-merge section, but everything after the merge is completely tainted by Dan and how the producers handled the entire situation.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Max posted:

Do not watch Island of the Idols. Read a summary of it.

It had a promising pre-merge section, but everything after the Merge is completely tainted by Dan and how the producers handled the entire situation.

:emptyquote:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Even the stuff with Rob and Sandra is honestly not that interesting and ends up being totally irrelevant for the eventual winner.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that shitshow overshadowed and affected everything and just made it impossible to enjoy or evaluate the season. Like, reviewers and commentators quit their jobs because it was too ugly and distasteful to follow that season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I legit don't remember who even won that season, my lovely memory working in my favour for once.

Elaine? She's the one person that comes to mind from that season and I don't think she was even in the finals... i think

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

I legit don't remember who even won that season, my lovely memory working in my favour for once.

Elaine? She's the one person that comes to mind from that season and I don't think she was even in the finals... i think

She was voted out at like six.

It was Tommy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In other news it seems that not only did Phillip Sheppard get coronavirus, he seems to have recovered from it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tommy won, but I forgive you for not remembering anything about him.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Army crawl through the sand - for absolutely no reason at all - was one of my favorite things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How hosed up is it that I can't accept that Phillip had coronavirus because Phillip is the one claiming it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

How hosed up is it that I can't accept that Phillip had coronavirus because Phillip is the one claiming it?

you're not alone in that feeling, if it helps

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Raxivace posted:

I want Coach to write an autobiography. I won't believe a loving word of it but I desperately want him to write it.

Boy do I have a treat for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Beyond-Reason-Survival-Original/dp/1432712349

So, In 1996; then 24 year old Coach set out from Baja California on an insane solo sea kayak adventure along the coast of South America; battling hurricanes, wildlife, etc. He kept a journal during this time, but at some point along the way, after travelling about 6000 miles, he buried his journals on a sea cliff in Columbia. a couple of years later, they were discovered by an author, who set about novelising them (he was able to track down Coach by around 2003 I believe). The book was published shortly before Tocantins aired.

Now this here is another book on the same subject, but this time written by Coach himself, complete with photographs and stuff; published in 2011:

https://www.amazon.com/No-Turning-Back-American-Expedition-ebook/dp/B005JJW7S0

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't believe any of the leadup even before considering if I believe the contents of the book.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Obviously there’s no way to tell for sure but the author is a legit author, and the book was being written and researched well before Coach became a well known figure.

I’ve read it and it’s really good. My personal thinking is that it’s mostly true; but even if it was bullshit it’s still a good read.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 21, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes, and?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That is absolute classic Coach stuff. I'm never going to read it but I'm just happy knowing it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno, Phillip is a goofy guy and all but I don't think he'd lie about this and its not a particularly ridiculous thing he's claiming.

Of course I might just be naive.

The Lord Bude posted:

Boy do I have a treat for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Beyond-Reason-Survival-Original/dp/1432712349

So, In 1996; then 24 year old Coach set out from Baja California on an insane solo sea kayak adventure along the coast of South America; battling hurricanes, wildlife, etc. He kept a journal during this time, but at some point along the way, after travelling about 6000 miles, he buried his journals on a sea cliff in Columbia. a couple of years later, they were discovered by an author, who set about novelising them (he was able to track down Coach by around 2003 I believe). The book was published shortly before Tocantins aired.

Now this here is another book on the same subject, but this time written by Coach himself, complete with photographs and stuff; published in 2011:

https://www.amazon.com/No-Turning-Back-American-Expedition-ebook/dp/B005JJW7S0
I am going to buy both of these books.