Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Super No Vacancy posted:

binding of isaac freaking pwns hard

That's what my irl friends keep telling me. But then I go five maps without ever getting anything that makes killing enemies easier and just die which is the opposite of fun

And the goons over in the dragging things in a game down thread talk about how you're supposed to have all these souls hearts to keep you alive but I get like 1 maybe per floor? Yeah that sure does keep me alive all right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

That's what my irl friends keep telling me. But then I go five maps without ever getting anything that makes killing enemies easier and just die which is the opposite of fun

Weird, because I find it to be one of the easier Twin-stick rogue-lites from the last 5/6 years to beat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

Weird, because I find it to be one of the easier Twin-stick rogue-lites from the last 5/6 years to beat.

Weird, because I find it to have a ridiculous amount of things I'm just expected to know. Absolutely nothing in game is explained. Hell they tuck the option to show your stats in a menu somewhere and don't mention that's a thing you might want to turn of.

I unlocked Eden but the game doesn't tell you how to get Eden tokens. Just that I had 1 and now I have 0 and need more to try it again.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you get an eden token for a win. and yeah idk opaque mechanics are pretty typical of roguelikes youre kinda supposed to feel it out for a while

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

rogue-likes are not fun

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I got mine by waiting up on top of death mountain to maximize the amount of sky and minimize bodies of water the fragment could fall into. Each time you get one, warp someplace far away and then save and restart the game. Repeat. All the stuff about looking at the moon is to make sure it's not a blood moon, which would reset the world and maybe kill the fragment you're chasing.

The resetting helped I think because the the longer you play with a particular random seed, the longer you have to have to wait for a new star. Someone who's dumped the game could tell you more. 19 fragments does take a while though, I recommend spreading the effort out instead of trying to do it in one sitting.

Thanks, I’ll give this a shot.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHuKYNadTQ

Or this list of physical locations

what you are describing is the fair, intended method but there are actually a bunch scattered throughout Hyrule, including one that you can only get by being nice to dogs! I maxed out my Armor of the Ancients with these. gently caress waiting around in BotW, too much to explore!

Thanks, this should save some time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Super No Vacancy posted:

you get an eden token for a win. and yeah idk opaque mechanics are pretty typical of roguelikes youre kinda supposed to feel it out for a while

I haven't played too many I guess because none of the ones I've gotten into are as opaque as BoI.

RoR doesn't give you exact numbers but it typically gives you some context of what a thing does when you pick it up. With BoI unless you go delving through menus to turn on stats you'll end up with pretty much nothing.

And according to people in the other thread in supposed to just collect soul hearts to make up for not having much health but that feels entirely RNG dependent.

daermon posted:

rogue-likes are not fun

Risk of Rain is great

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Just bought Golf Story and so far it seems pretty chill.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

Weird, because I find it to have a ridiculous amount of things I'm just expected to know. Absolutely nothing in game is explained. Hell they tuck the option to show your stats in a menu somewhere and don't mention that's a thing you might want to turn of.

I unlocked Eden but the game doesn't tell you how to get Eden tokens. Just that I had 1 and now I have 0 and need more to try it again.

Yeah, just ignore that bullshit and enjoy the game. Don't bother with the minutiae unless you're speed running or unlocking new characters.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Len posted:

Risk of Rain is great

Sky Rogue is pretty good if you were ever into Ace Combat at all

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can not abide the crying turd aesthetic therefore BOI is a bad game

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FWIW I found Isaac completely hideous and unpleasant to be in, but Enter The Gungeon was a lot more palatable because it's got a dodge move and a (very slightly) more mature aesthetic. It was also IIRC way cheaper.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

daermon posted:

rogue-likes are not fun

agreed, play Rogue instead

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

istewart posted:

Whoa I had no idea that this had a demo, I'll at least try it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can not abide the crying turd aesthetic therefore BOI is a bad game

now this is a valid complaint

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Roguelikes are fun when they are like Rogue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Super No Vacancy posted:

now this is a valid complaint

:yeah:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

daermon posted:

rogue-likes are not fun

Agreed. It’s like a whole genre designed around the feeling of playing for 2 hours and forgetting to save, and then your game crashes. I’ve tried multiple rogue-likes and I can never get into them for that reason.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Binding of Isaac is the only one of these twin stick roguelites to get the controls right. 360 degree aiming is bad, and pressing a separate button to shoot is bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

if binding of isaac is re-released but with anime aesthetics I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

istewart posted:

Can't invert look controls, literally unplayable (unironically)

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Grabbed Mario and Rabbids and it is an absolute delight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rogue likes always act like they've been cured and learned to control their powers, then they kiss you and either A) absorb your powers and your life force or B) they were actually Morph the whole time. Well I'm not falling for it again mon cherie

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zeeman posted:

Grabbed Mario and Rabbids and it is an absolute delight

It’s a loving fantastic game start to finish.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The best rogue-lite on the Switch is The Curious Expedition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rfiQJTVqw

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not when Downwell exists

night slime
May 14, 2014
Is there a way to play NES/SNES online's Japanese games if you paid for USA? I have a Japanese region account on the Switch but it wouldn't let me use it. Also I have linked Switches to multiple systems so I thought maybe that could be doing it.

Also they did a great job not supplying like,, a manual or anything for Panel de pon menus.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Binding of Isaac is so gear dependent, the first few games are always going to be rough until you unlock better items and level up the store. If a rock looks suspicious, bomb it. There's a pattern to locating the secret rooms on a level, and some tough choices to make when Devil Deals are offered. Once you learn how to game the system, you can completely break it. But yeah those first few runs will suck.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 21, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

night slime posted:

Is there a way to play NES/SNES online's Japanese games if you paid for USA? I have a Japanese region account on the Switch but it wouldn't let me use it. Also I have linked Switches to multiple systems so I thought maybe that could be doing it.

Also they did a great job not supplying like,, a manual or anything for Panel de pon menus.
You can, they're separate apps though. You have to sign up for a Nintendo Online trial on your Japanese account and download the FC and SFC apps, and then you can play them with your real account

night slime
May 14, 2014
Ah that makes sense, thanks.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Speaking of twinstick roguelikes I wonder if Atomicrops turned out any good. Seems like they finished their Epic Games Store early access exclusivity stint and now it's coming to Switch with a final content update next week.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 21, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

You can, they're separate apps though. You have to sign up for a Nintendo Online trial on your Japanese account and download the FC and SFC apps, and then you can play them with your real account

I didn't have to sign up for the trial at all, just went and downloaded them from that account's store. Maybe they changed that though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

When I tried they wouldn't let me download it without having a subscription, that was idk at least a year ago

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Waffle! posted:

Binding of Isaac is so gear dependent, the first few games are always going to be rough until you unlock better items and level up the store. If a rock looks suspicious, bomb it. There's a pattern to locating the secret rooms on a level, and some tough choices to make when Devil Deals are offered. Once you learn how to game the system, you can completely break it. But yeah those first few runs will suck.

I'd say it's more experience dependent than gear dependent. Once you know all the things you come to learn the game's actually on the easier side. But it's painfully opaque and I can see not wanting to spend the hours to internalize all the stuff.

But once it clicks it clicks and it's probably one of my longer playtimes on the Switch.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Guys?

Morrowind owns and I’m sore I missed the Bethesda derail because I have so many Bethesda opinions.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Wait wait wait wait wait hold up. There is a switch version if the Binding of Isaac rebirth? Is it good?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

It's fine but it's expensive on Switch. I regret spending $40 on the package and will probably try and refund it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Agreed. It’s like a whole genre designed around the feeling of playing for 2 hours and forgetting to save, and then your game crashes. I’ve tried multiple rogue-likes and I can never get into them for that reason.
I could never before explain why I hated the whole genre, but this nails it exactly.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It's fine but it's expensive on Switch. I regret spending $40 on the package and will probably try and refund it.

Yeah I love Binding of Isaac but I’m not willing to pay $40 for it. I would probably pay $25 and maybe $30. I played the original but somehow never got around to rebirth and was briefly excited at the idea of playing it on switch, but not for $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I wish that the potential Monolith Switch port wasn't still 1-2 years away, so that I could justifiably chase people away from BoI to buy Monolith instead because it's a better execution of the same general concept in every way.