Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Im interested to hear how much GRRM was actually involved, and how the story is told. If he is relegated to item descriptions, what a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bows1 posted:

Im interested to hear how much GRRM was actually involved, and how the story is told. If he is relegated to item descriptions, what a waste.

He wrote the lore, the backstory, which FROM, Miyazaki, and Co then used as a template to write a narrative over.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah kinda like how "Born in the USA" is actually a completely loving depressing and sarcastic song

True Story I ignored the 'steen for the first ~20 years of my life because having never actually listened to the song or read the lyrics I thought Born In the USA was a legit patriotic bullshit song based on the way it gets used so often by bullshit patriots :kiddo:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bows1 posted:

He’s personally approving every single publishing delay until the game is released.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I completely trust From to perceive and create a new genre of fantasy/science fiction/eldritch horror and I would play that game even if dying in the game killed you in real life.

:golfclap:

you took the words right outta my mouth

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He wrote the lore, the backstory, which FROM, Miyazaki, and Co then used as a template to write a narrative over.

I coulda swore i read it the other way round. They wrote their idea for the story and then he expanded upon it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My God could you imagine the GRRM-penned item descriptions for food items? That alone would make the game balloon up to about 200 gigs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DrNutt posted:

My God could you imagine the GRRM-penned item descriptions for food items? That alone would make the game balloon up to about 200 gigs.

180GB of lemoncakes

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

kirbysuperstar posted:

180GB of lemoncakes

Wondrous fatty...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'll be damned, I spent entirely too much money on a 2tb SSD for my PS4 Pro and it really makes using the console considerably snappier and more responsive. It might not be huge gains if you don't have 70000 games installed like I do, but I'm glad I went for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

univbee posted:

I'll be damned, I spent entirely too much money on a 2tb SSD for my PS4 Pro and it really makes using the console considerably snappier and more responsive. It might not be huge gains if you don't have 70000 games installed like I do, but I'm glad I went for it.

so the os works faster?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Policenaut posted:

https://twitter.com/nextlvlracing/status/1263174678853513216

Next Level makes high-end gaming peripherals for racing games like cockpits, stands, etc, and uhhhhh they just kind of have a Gran Turismo 7 here. No reason.

lol

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Rinkles posted:

so the os works faster?

Lol never

Have you seen the HBO App?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

bows1 posted:

I coulda swore i read it the other way round. They wrote their idea for the story and then he expanded upon it

Nah, he wrote the lore so they could have a GRRM video game story without him being constrained by the actual mechanics, etc. so he wrote what happens like decades before the time the game is set in and Miyazaki and From are writing the like item descriptions and character stuff based on that. So whatever Elden Ring’s equivalent to Gwyn, Astora, Catarina, Velka, etc. is, George wrote it.

There’s also this concept art which is just someone wearing a robe made out of what looks like human skin and holding the coiled sword from DS3: https://imgix.bustle.com/inverse/cc...=max&crop=faces

Also I watched a Zbrush demo that From did recently and there’s nothing new, or at least nothing is mentioned about new games or whatever but there’s a really cool design for what they call a ‘mermaid’ at around 57 minutes, and it got me really excited watching this again knowing that the PS5 can run games that straight up have Zbrush sculpts without having to retopologize them or anything, it’s going to be incredible: https://youtu.be/T4tpoAxDg9Y

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bows1 posted:

Lol never

Have you seen the HBO App?

I have not, it's not available in my country.

Anyway the OS feels considerably more responsive. It's not hitching and "waiting" to do stuff really.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

univbee posted:

I have not, it's not available in my country.

Anyway the OS feels considerably more responsive. It's not hitching and "waiting" to do stuff really.

what about when booting up a game? normally you can barely do anything when loading.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

what about when booting up a game? normally you can barely do anything when loading.

I've only just got this going, but my experience before has been sometimes when you select to launch a game it takes a few seconds for the OS to do the transition to the splash screen. That doesn't appear to be a thing the few times I've tried it so far.

Mainly experimented with Mortal Kombat 11. The game is considerably faster with the character select screen, when you hover over a character and it transitions from the "still" to the character being animated and doing stuff. And the battles load significantly faster too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

univbee posted:

I've only just got this going, but my experience before has been sometimes when you select to launch a game it takes a few seconds for the OS to do the transition to the splash screen. That doesn't appear to be a thing the few times I've tried it so far

that's part of it, but i was more referring to the period after the splash screen has done it's thing. you're allowed back to the system ribbon, but many functions won't work reliably (like opening a folder), icons might not load, and sometimes it won't even let you move between items.

but good to hear that's stuff's improved. wasn't aware.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bows1 posted:

quote:

Sam Wilkinson, Bandai Namco: First off, please tell me when and how development for Elden Ring took off.

Hidetaka Miyazaki, Game Director: Development for Elden Ring started just after development for the Dark Souls 3 DLC had ended. At the time, Elden Ring was being planned as a more classic fantasy title compared to others that were either being considered or already in the early stages of development.

We wanted to create a new dark fantasy action RPG full of things that we weren’t able to do in the Dark Souls series.

Wilkinson: Elden Ring seems to have been in development at the same time as Sekiro. How did you go about its development?

Miyazaki: The overall process of development has been the same as it was in Sekiro.

While assigning co-directors to each project, I took direction over the various game design, art and musical aspects of the titles.

We tend to space out the development-peak for our projects to make use of what little time we have, however being able to share a vision with the co-directors as well as the development staff has allowed us to build a trusting relationship which makes this kind of development style possible. I am incredibly grateful for them and their hard work.

Of course, this project still has a load of work ahead of it as well (laughter).

Wilkinson: What genre do you think Elden Ring will fall under?

Miyazaki: It is a third-person action RPG.

Unlike Sekiro, which has a heavy focus on action, Elden Ring puts more focus on RPG elements.

Of course, we are not shying away from the fun of responsive melee-based combat, and these elements will be present as well.

Wilkinson: Do you believe this title will turn out to be a very From-like and challenging game?

Miyazaki: Yes, I do. The importance we place on the joy the player experiences through overcoming challenges will be the same as it is in our other titles. I believe it will prove to be a very satisfying experience.

Earlier I had said that this title focuses more heavily on RPG elements. This title will include a wide variety of weapons, magic, and ways to engage enemies, that make it possible to provide users with a style of gameplay and strategy that suits them.

Even when compared to the Dark Souls series, I believe this title will provide even more variety in the ways for players to overcome challenges and tweak their tactics when facing enemies.

Wilkinson: Will Elden Ring contain character customization elements like in Dark Souls, or will it be similar to Sekiro in that there is a fixed protagonist that the player controls?

Miyazaki: Yes, it will contain character customization elements.

Similar to the Dark Souls series, Elden Ring allows players to design and control their own unique character. As I said earlier, this title puts a heavy focus on RPG elements, and we thought this approach would best suit that focus.

Wilkinson: Regarding the collaboration with George R. R. Martin, can you further explain how this collaboration came about and in what role it has served throughout the project?

Miyazaki: I suppose the start of this collaboration came from the fact that I myself am I huge fan of Mr. Martin’s work.

I loved “A Song of Ice and Fire” as well as the “Tuf Voyaging” series, however if I had to pick a favorite I would probably say “Fevre Dream.”

I personally see “Fevre Dream” as a masterpiece among vampire fantasy and had even previously recommended it to all new employees.

Me being such a known fan of Mr. Martin caused our executive business director Eiichi Nakajima to reach out to him with the expectation that we would get turned down.

However, we were then given the rare opportunity to talk one-on-one with Mr. Martin which was an incredibly fun and stimulating experience. It was then that I strongly felt that I wanted to work with Mr. Martin.

I am still unable to put into words how grateful I am to Mr. Martin for agreeing to our offer.

The actual collaboration itself begun with Mr. Martin ever so politely confirming what sorts of themes, ideas as well as many game-related aspects I had envisioned for the game.

This allowed us to have many free and creative conversations regarding the game, in which Mr. Martin later used as a base to write the overarching mythos for the game world itself.

This mythos proved to be full of interesting characters and drama along with a plethora of mystical and mysterious elements as well. It was a wonderful source of stimulus for me and the development staff.

Elden Ring’s world was constructed using this mythos and stimulus as a base. Even I myself find it hard to contain my excitement from time to time. We hope that everyone else is looking forward to the world we have created.

Wilkinson: What are some differences when compared to your previous titles (especially Dark Souls)?

Miyazaki: If I were to put aside the world full of fresh stimulus thanks to our collaboration with Mr. Martin, I would have to say the biggest difference is it being open world.

Due to this, the scale of the world and its narrative, as well as the depth and freedom of exploration have increased dramatically. It is without a doubt our biggest title yet in terms of sheer volume.

There are many definitions to the term “open world,” and I might not be phrasing it correctly, but we have simply tried our own approach to a game with a large, open field to play in.

It is a world full of danger and threats, as well as many areas ripe for exploration.

Among those areas, you will also find intricately designed, multi-layered castles and such.

Wilkinson: What is the meaning behind the title?

Miyazaki: Elden Ring is the name given to a mysterious concept that defines the world itself.

As the trailer at the conference implied, this “Elden Ring” has been shattered. The significance of this will be one of the important themes of the game.

That’s about all I can say at this point in time (laughter)

Wilkinson: Will Elden Ring contain the gritty, intense boss fights we’ve all come to love and expect from From?

Miyazaki: Yes, of course. Boss fights are something we enjoy making and make up one of the climaxes to this title as well. We feel there is a wide variety of unique and horrifying bosses for players to look forward to.

Wilkinson: What can you teach us about the character shown in the concept art that was released?

Miyazaki: We chose this character because of his eccentric aspects as well as the way he portrays the darkness that the world and story possess.

While Elden Ring may be a classic dark fantasy title, it is more than just that.

This character also represents one more theme in addition to the previously mentioned eccentricity.

That theme is the will, or ambition of mankind.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Any word on the quality of the Saint's Row 3 remaster other than 30fps?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Any word on the quality of the Saint's Row 3 remaster other than 30fps?

I mean if they can't get Saints Row 3 at 60 fps in 2020 that's pretty much all I need to pass on it personally. Especially since it's a remaster of a game that already looked pretty great to begin with and runs very well at high fps on relatively modest* PCs.

*given tyool 2020 standards of course

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DrNutt posted:

I mean if they can't get Saints Row 3 at 60 fps in 2020 that's pretty much all I need to pass on it personally. Especially since it's a remaster of a game that already looked pretty great to begin with and runs very well at high fps on relatively modest* PCs.

apparently it is 60 fps. but lol.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apparently it is 60 fps. but lol.

Everyone's reporting a 30fps cap for consoles.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I agree.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Everyone's reporting a 30fps cap for consoles.

lol. the only remaster i like coming out soon far is mafia 1(havent seen enough though) and destroy all humans which had a fun e3 demo. hope they make a mass effect trillogy remaster/ resistance remasters/maybe killzone remasters but probably not that latter two.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

so the os works faster?

Feels snappier, but that could be the pro or the SSD. Crucial MX500 is what I went with.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

You just described the plot of Mafia 3

Up to the double cross, then it becomes something slightly different.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

acksplode posted:

Thank you! It's loving with me how W101 has all these familiar Kamiya mechanics but they're jumbled around. Hiding lock-on behind a basic attack, the madman. Sounds like I want to jab bigger enemies at the start of a fight so I don't have to worry about aiming my attacks and free up some attention for everything else going on.

I don't have the game yet but you can have Unite Morphs auto attack if you draw one and then press... Something. I don't know which button it is because I can't buy it yet and I don't know the controls. These should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vLNVqxh4TY&t=507s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE&t=102s

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hav posted:

Feels snappier, but that could be the pro or the SSD. Crucial MX500 is what I went with.

the experience on my ssd-less pro definitely doesn't qualify as snappy

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If they were going to remaster a saints row game it should probably be 2, because it's nearly as janky as 1 but has the best story/customization of that the series and unlike 3/4 it actually looks pretty rough nowadays.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Who asked for a saints row 3 remaster?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I hope this thread's tittle lasts long enough so we can mix it with Cyberpunk's.

Sony PS4: Tsushima 2077: Wake the gently caress up samurai

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I was poised to come on here and make a bitch post about Long Arm Centipede Giraffe but then the morning coffee kicked in and wow thats actually a stupidly quick fight if you only deflect and jump on his head for the unblock-able.

Not even 8:15 and theres a Sekiro boss in the bag

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am incredibly into Yakuza 5. Everything is a game and I'm here for it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I was poised to come on here and make a bitch post about Long Arm Centipede Giraffe but then the morning coffee kicked in and wow thats actually a stupidly quick fight if you only deflect and jump on his head for the unblock-able.

Not even 8:15 and theres a Sekiro boss in the bag

Make sure you ring the big bell!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mean.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hate the snarlface Ellie Last of Us 2 cover art. It's just trying way too hard and looks dumb. She looks like a Nu Metal singer or some poo poo.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sekiro is slowly coming back to stock in Spain after like three months being impossible to find, and with a price drop to 39.90€. I know that I'm getting it next month at that price. Need to finish my PS4 collection this summer with Sekiro, Death Stranding, Medievil and maybe a copy of vanilla Persona 5 but I may way for Royal price to drop.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

veni veni veni posted:

I really hate the snarlface Ellie Last of Us 2 cover art. It's just trying way too hard and looks dumb. She looks like a Nu Metal singer or some poo poo.

They should commission Shinkawa to do portrait if they want angry face art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I ALMOST bought Left Alive just because the cover art was so loving cool