Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, UKIP voters are the type to think that coronavirus is a Jewish plot to abolish democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I can’t believe that people known to make bad decisions are dying of a preventable and communicable disease.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Actually it's because UKIPers are feeble weaklings and can't handle a mild disease.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/schizoanalytic/status/1262837611296514049

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mmmm, so rational.
Now someone fix Europe.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I've got two problems with this. First, it's uniform in latitude/longitude which means that the upper states are going to have smaller area than the lower states.
The second is that you have to commit and do the earthworks to make the ground fit the grid.

Over all, C-, see me after class.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

it's uniform in latitude/longitude

:wrong:

Look at the forty‐ninth parallel with Canada and what’s going on in Washington.

This is just a grid lazily placed over an arbitrary projection.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

:wrong:

Look at the forty‐ninth parallel with Canada and what’s going on in Washington.

This is just a grid lazily placed over an arbitrary projection.

I stand corrected.

Okay, okay, B-.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Texas is fuckin' that grid up too.

Typical.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Missed opportunity to give a tiny slice of land between California and Arizona to one of the non contiguous states as well (comedy option: Puerto Rico).

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

Mmmm, so rational.
Now someone fix Europe.

No one wants to be on the hook for starting the next world war :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1262406208532516865

Read the thread if you want to be surprised.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

The idea that all montage songs are in the "bad" category is sketchy enough, but the fact that "Strangers Like Me" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" are both in the bad category as well leads me to believe the author's tastes are suspect at best.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

The idea that all montage songs are in the "bad" category is sketchy enough, but the fact that "Strangers Like Me" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" are both in the bad category as well leads me to believe the author's tastes are suspect at best.

If you read through the thread he addresses this, basically saying "these songs are bad with very rare exceptions, like I'll Make a Man Out of You which is a good song but surprising since its song type is otherwise filled by bad songs"

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

If you read through the thread he addresses this, basically saying "these songs are bad with very rare exceptions, like I'll Make a Man Out of You which is a good song but surprising since its song type is otherwise filled by bad songs"

Ah, fair enough on that point, but after reading through the thread I still disagree with his opinion on montage songs and a lot of folks in the replies seem to disagree as well.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Justin needs to stick to his core field of expertise, 90's FMV games.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Justin needs to stick to his core field of expertise, 90's FMV games.

Different Justin McElroy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Subjunctive posted:

Different Justin McElroy.

Hm. There are two too many Justin McElroys then.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

The idea that Disney only has six problematic songs makes me suspect some other things about the author, too.

Edit: I encourage him throwing Song of the South down the memory hole, but he didn't see anything wrong with "Everybody Wants to be a Cat"?

Tobermory has a new favorite as of 20:18 on May 20, 2020

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Tobermory posted:

Edit: I encourage him throwing Song of the South down the memory hole, but he didn't see anything wrong with "Everybody Wants to be a Cat"?

I had to look this up to see what you were talking about and OOF

Maybe he didn't remember the uh, choicer moments of that one.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

trapped mouse posted:

Ah, fair enough on that point, but after reading through the thread I still disagree with his opinion on montage songs and a lot of folks in the replies seem to disagree as well.

Going by the content of the tweets he likes stuff that directly drive the plot forward of directly relate to the characters who drive the plot forward. Generally down on things fleshing out the mood or setting or otherwise potentially interpretable as "filler". He is down about the "It's Nature Time", "Here’s A One Note Character", and, I think, "The Drug Song" as well.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Someone replied with this in the thread:

Which I unironically like and I'm now wondering what's wrong with me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wasn't that in a book, but they had it as cards from a standard deck? And then New Year's Day was the joker, and sometimes a deck of cards has two jokers.

That's going to bug me if I don't remember what it's from.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

Now, also switch our time system over to beats and you're onto something.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

HardDiskD posted:

Now every month, every year, can have Friday the 13th! Even Smarch!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1263111460915380225

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Good thing there are no other possible things an independent variable can ever be except time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

Do you want your birthday to be on a Tuesday every single year?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You loving people don't even know what month it is right now

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Tobermory posted:

The idea that Disney only has six problematic songs makes me suspect some other things about the author, too.

I think they're using 'problematic' in the literary analysis sense, to mean something that could fit into one of several categories depending on interpretation.

(Fun fact: there's a theory that using 'problematic' to mean 'turbo racist' actually evolved out of this -- it was originally used to mean 'this statement could be really racist or it could be entirely innocuous, and it's not easy to tell without context which it is')

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Bomrek posted:

I had to look this up to see what you were talking about and OOF

Maybe he didn't remember the uh, choicer moments of that one.

To be fair the siamese parts have been removed from current releases.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's like... March? 2016 3 or 4? I think it's a Wednesday, I saw people posting the frog.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Whybird posted:

I think they're using 'problematic' in the literary analysis sense, to mean something that could fit into one of several categories depending on interpretation.

(Fun fact: there's a theory that using 'problematic' to mean 'turbo racist' actually evolved out of this -- it was originally used to mean 'this statement could be really racist or it could be entirely innocuous, and it's not easy to tell without context which it is')

No, the tweet thread says that the "Problematic" category is songs that were once in the other categories but didn't age well.

Honestly I don't think it should be a category in itself, it's not a literary device the way the other categories are.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I like her clothes being somewhat loose and flowing except for directly over a single boob that is perfectly visible somehow

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HardDiskD posted:

The week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday :mad:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tobermory posted:

I watched the first minute and twenty five of this thinking "am I missing something?" and then... :stonk:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

No, the tweet thread says that the "Problematic" category is songs that were once in the other categories but didn't age well.

Honestly I don't think it should be a category in itself, it's not a literary device the way the other categories are.

Huh, I stand corrected then. Must have skimmed over that bit.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

The week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday :mad:
Not in the US, their calendars are all SMTWTFS when they have days of the week in columns, instead of the MTWTFSS you see elsewhere. I was told it’s because that’s the biblical week, but I have no idea if it’s true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Angepain posted:

I like her clothes being somewhat loose and flowing except for directly over a single boob that is perfectly visible somehow
it's the French, you should be grateful the boob is clothed

also please note name of this smiley directly relevant

:thermidor: