Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Maybe they’re finally cracking down on tapers since it’s so easy to save the soundboard and post it for sale on live downloads. That or the larger venue and crowds at shoreline meant the on site staff wasn’t taper friendly. No idea but it does seem strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
This thread on reddit seems to indicate I'm just being impatient. As much as I'm sure nugs.net would like it, I can't imagine D&C changing the taping/sharing policy that's been part of the Dead's DNA for forever. And definitely not without a healthy backlash from the fans.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Final Blog Entry posted:

This thread on reddit seems to indicate I'm just being impatient. As much as I'm sure nugs.net would like it, I can't imagine D&C changing the taping/sharing policy that's been part of the Dead's DNA for forever. And definitely not without a healthy backlash from the fans.

The backlash would be epic.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
couple recent shows are up at r/gratefuldead

https://twitter.com/bourgwick/status/1137454440863195136
Grateful Dead Live at Fillmore West on 1969-06-08

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Both of the gorge shows hit archive but nothing from Shoreline interestingly enough. Maybe just something to do with the venue.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Were any of you at the Gorge? I did both nights. Missed 4 songs from June 7 first set because of the godawful security line, but the rest of the weekend was a grate time. Musical highlights for me were Terrapin and Playing->Uncle John's->Playing from June 8. I felt like the sound was pretty bad for most of June 7, but much better on the 8th.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Did both nights of Gorge!!! I got in by Dire Wolf on Friday (venue stuff was kind of a shitshow, huh?). Terrapin, Playin>UJB>Playin, were sick, and loved the Eyes and the Deal. I was kind of hoping for no Deal that weekend cause idk I'm lukewarm even on the better Jerry versions but the one we got was killer. John and Jeff doing things. The Eyes was really good too! Dark Star surprised me but was kind of underwhelming, especially after Autzen last year. And I danced a lot for Loose Lucy and sang for Must Have Been The Roses - those were both really nice. Idk overall they're growing on me the more I listen, maybe the sound wasn't great? Maybe the venue was too distracting? The Gorge was cool but I'd definitely rather hit up a stadium if I had the choice next year.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
D&C tempo has been an issue since the beginning, but they were firing fast Saturday night. That slipknot was one of the best I've ever heard

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Arms_Akimbo posted:

D&C tempo has been an issue since the beginning, but they were firing fast Saturday night. That slipknot was one of the best I've ever heard

Bobby addresses the tempo issue in this recent GQ interview: https://www.gq.com/story/bob-weir-grateful-dead-profile

quote:

If there's a complaint these days about Weir's music, it's that he favors playing the Dead repertoire too slowly for some fans' tastes. One Internet wag recently suggested listening to Dead & Company recordings at 1.5-times speed.

“I'm looking for the most possible harmonic content from the string,” Weir says. “To get that, you have to be able to hang a note and let it change colors for you, because it will if you let it.… I love to listen to the sound of my loving instrument. I don't play the guitar for no reason. There's so many things you can do with it. But you can't do them quickly. At least I haven't been able to figure out how to.”

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JamesKPolk posted:

Speaking of JRAD is it worth seeing them a week before I catch D&C? Been curious and I really wanna hear Rubin and Cherise this year

Also everyone in this thread should know about Relisten

Yes, I've seen them 3 times and always a good show. Jrad is like the punk son of d&c

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
JRAD is fantastic. I'm super excited to see them for my first visit to Red Rocks the night before the Phish Dick's run.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why don't they ever play Fire on the Mountain live when its like the best song ever?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Got my Rubin and Cherise from Garcia Birthday Band @ OCF. Not on the national touring level but if you're in the Willamette Valley they're worth checking out. Terrapin Family Band was pretty great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEWlOFSX3lM

This floored me. I've been listening to a lot of 81-84 Jerry Band and this is hitting all the notes those John Kahn solos in those 20 minute Simple Twist of Fates do. I don't think any one show from this year beat last year's Autzen show but overall I really liked what I heard from D&C this year.

536 posted:

Why don't they ever play Fire on the Mountain live when its like the best song ever?

Oteil hits the vocals way too early! I always want another 5 minutes of jam. Scarlet -> Spanish Jam at the gorge was really cool too.

I mean I agree just this is how I've been rationalizing it.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Since you mention it the jam into Fire at that second Boulder show was fantastic. Great show overall.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Robert Hunter passed away tonight. Rest in peace.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/OhNoSheTwitnt/status/1176565443907268608?s=19

E: if you have a favorite Box Of Rain - I'd love to listen to it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BallerBallerDillz posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=--podlMpJP0

Man, Phil sounds trashed on this one. This is probably many people’s favorite Grateful Dead song, period.

And RIP Robert Hunter. He was a very talented guy that probably didn’t get the recognition he deserved as a songwriter because he was associated with a dumb musical thing for a lot of his career. But he wrote some really great lyrics.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 25, 2019

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

uncle jer has another buddy now

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always think about that moment in the Classic Albums documentary when he talks about the good old days and gets emotional and says "I wish those days would come again... they will, just not for me."

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Went back to read the first page of this thread again on a lark and to dig out some more shows, and was loling at all the bobby poo poo talking. made me think of this video of his isolated guitar from a show in '89 that i saw about a month ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLV-73VF6Tg

it kind of sounds like one of those old gag videos of rock bands concert videos being overdubbed by terrible musicians. BUT at the same time i think there's something genius to how sparse his playing is, that's the kind of rhythm playing you need in a 6 piece band

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

also double post but i still think my absolute favorite hunter lyrics are dark star. so beautiful and evocative and simple

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you plant ice
You're going to harvest winds.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I have so many favorites

If all you got to live for
is what you left behind
get yourself a powder charge
and seal that silver mine

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
I went to the "Play It Loud" exhibit in NYC

realized it was the last weekend of the exhibit at the Met in NYC and I knew I had to go. I saw Wolf and Tiger. Man, Tiger is a beautiful guitar. It was a nice surprise. I knew that Wolf was there, but I didn't know Tiger was.

(Also Jimmy Page's Dragon and a piece of Jimi's Monterey Strat.)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I have so many favorites

If all you got to live for
is what you left behind
get yourself a powder charge
and seal that silver mine

God yes

Always a classic:

All the years combine
They melt into a dream
A broken angel sings
From a guitar
In the end there's just a song
Comes crying like the night (wind)
Through all the broken dreams
And vanished years

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

BallerBallerDillz posted:

November 17, 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50zesEg95wg

There's no way to pick just one favorite Hunter lyric, but I've always loved these lines from Attics Of My Life:

I have spent my life
Seeking all that's still unsung
Bent my ear to hear the tune
And closed my eyes to see
When there were no strings to play
You played to me

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah, like, where do you begin?

"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there" makes me misty-eyed every time. God there's so many though this post was just becoming a list of all my favorite songs...

Recently I've been really appreciating those later Stagger Lees and Dupree's Diamond Blues - just as profound as his very mystical stuff, but in a much darker way. Hearing like an 85 Cassidy into Duprees is like you're getting some deep, dark, wisdom, and not necessarily the enlightening uplifting kind. "I'll tell you the reason, if you want to know. Child of mine, there really isn't very far to go". Right after this big paen to Bobby's acid-guru surrogate father.

Speaking of Jerry Band, I've been on a big dive since I asked about them, culminating in getting on Lossless Legs cause none of its on Archive.

Thoughts:
1. Official releases are not the good poo poo. Fall 83 tour is peak Jerry.
2. There definitely are eras. Yeah it's not as distinct as the Dead and yeah it is kinda Jerry playing his favorites every night but I would break it up like:
a.) pre-Jerry band/ Legion of Mary era - lots of Merl Saunders and well sounds like 70s Jerry. Soulful.
b.) 70s JGB - this is where we get Cats Under the Stars songs, Keith and Donna, and idk sounds like late 70s Jerry? Funky and groovy.
c.) Early 80s Jerry - this is where it starts to get good imo. Late 82/83 Melvin, Gloria, and Jackie join which are gonna be the sounds you probably associate with it. Start to hear more Dylan, more familiar arrangements, and Jerry just killing it in solos. Melvin takes a bit to step up but gets there - a couple 83 shows it sounds like he's purposely holding back. Fall 83 tour is a highlight.
d.) Late 80s - post coma Jerry. Lots more rnb and a little gospel, organ and backup singers pick up some slack but Jerry still comes through. Electric on the Eel is a nice example that segues into
e.) 90s Jerry - very Gospel, very ragged Jerry, very soulful. There isn't a great demarcation point between the last two, just you'll kinda hear it and be like oh yeah its on one side or the other. Less kinda shreddy solos, more just playing it long and slow as my friend puts it. 10 minute Lucky Old Suns, Shining Stars, C'est La Vie (Never Can Tell) - real party music, just everybody have a good time stuff. The Dead and Co sound, vs. JRad of the 80s, if that makes sense.
Most of the better official material is the late 80s/90s stuff, which is fine - but its worth digging for the earlier stuff if you're interested.
3. Something I've noticed is the "worse' by conventional wisdom the Dead is doing, the better Jerry is doing - the caveat is because I really like the weird 83-5 sets. But there's a kind of mirror image thing going on.
4. Jerry could really play guitar

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I saw Merle and Melvin play a show together in basically a bar one night 20 something years ago and it was one of the best shows I can remember. Both really talented dudes.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just scored tickets to see Bob Weir and Wolf Bros in March. Have any of you guys seen them?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

User Error posted:

I just scored tickets to see Bob Weir and Wolf Bros in March. Have any of you guys seen them?

I watched their new year’s show on YouTube. I think one of them was drunk. Someone was playing something different from the rest of the band.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BigFactory posted:

I watched their new year’s show on YouTube. I think one of them was drunk. Someone was playing something different from the rest of the band.

Ha, not great. Oh well. I've never actually seen any of the remaining members perform and Bobby ain't getting any younger.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

User Error posted:

Ha, not great. Oh well. I've never actually seen any of the remaining members perform and Bobby ain't getting any younger.

I’m going to see Dylan next week for the same reason. He hasnt really been worth seeing in at least 10 years, but he’ll be dead one of these days and I’ll be sad I missed a chance to see him when it was easy to go.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Glad you posted about the Wolf Bros tour, I hadn't heard it announced and they're coming here. Just got tickets for me and some friends for St Pete.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

watched "Anthem to Beauty" on amazon prime the other night. covered a lot of the same ground as Long Strange Trip but still enjoyable to watch. Loved this clip from Hunter talking about writing Ripple, Brokedown, and To Lay Me Down in a moment of inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlVEH5r06A&t=53s

tehchekt
May 7, 2007
something cool and profound
Listening to this show right now :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhTlTssnnFg. really nice. would love an AUD

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

never really listened to the Dead before but this video exposed me to them for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6XyzhH93JU (which is a cool video in and of itself if you're into snow sports)

I really love the style of songs in this video, particularly brown eyed women and new speedway boogie. What else should I be checking out to follow that path?

for what its worth I managed to find the version of Brown eyed women used in the video: Tivoli concert hall denmark 1972.

have checked out the albums those songs appear on and been left wanting a bit more.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The whole Europe 72 tour is available on streaming services, that's a good place to start

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Laserface posted:

never really listened to the Dead before but this video exposed me to them for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6XyzhH93JU (which is a cool video in and of itself if you're into snow sports)

I really love the style of songs in this video, particularly brown eyed women and new speedway boogie. What else should I be checking out to follow that path?

for what its worth I managed to find the version of Brown eyed women used in the video: Tivoli concert hall denmark 1972.

have checked out the albums those songs appear on and been left wanting a bit more.

I'm not as much of an expert of some fo the other folks here, but there are a few major eras to be aware of with the dead that might help you find stuff that scratches your itch

early years, ~'67-71. Sound was similar to lots of other hippie acts of the bay area in the late 60s, lots of R&B/blues/folk covers, and acid freakout noise jams. dark star, st stephen, china cat sunflower are among some of the most classic and representative songs from this era

'72-74. lots of new material, really developing the cowboy psychedelic country rock sound with the albums American Beauty & Workingman's Dead capturing this sound & themes quite well as far as dead studio albums go. Their keys/harp/singer Pigpen died and their new keys player was more classically and jazz trained, so also started to see some jazzier influence in the new material towards the later end here, as covered on the albums Wake of the Flood and Blues for Allah. The Euro 72 tour really captures how these songs evolved live, and cool to imagine a lot of these shows at relatively small venues. Veneta OR 72 show is also highly regarded. Based on your song choices, I think you'd do well to explore this era, look for Dick's Picks releases and start there

'74-76. i forget the exact dates but they went on hiatus for a bit

'77-80. Many consider '77 their peak, had built a big catalog of songs that they'd mastered, musicianship was tight, jerry had developed a diverse range of tones, the flow & segues between songs was smoother, jams were sounding more cohesive with the whole band playing off each other, etc. The Cornell 5/8/77 show in particular is probably the most hyped single show, and it's an undeniably great show. i feel like scarlet begonias -> fire on the mountain is a great encapsulation of what the band was capable of here

80s and 90s. you're asking the wrong guy. i pretty quickly lose interest in their material and shows here. some people swear by it, but for me it just doesn't have the same energy as the 60s & 70s, and i think jerry's vocals deteriorate pretty noticeably, which is a shame because i think jerry sounds like a tortured cowboy dusty angel when he's on

also i don't know if you listen to a lot of recordings of live shows in general, but i personally feel like listening to audience recordings of shows really benefits from listening LOUD AS gently caress to be able to appreciate the fullness and power of the sound. can be hard to appreciate how fuckin hard they were going when you listen on dinky laptop or phone speakers to a show that hasn't been mastered or mixed in any way that approaches your average studio album

on a semi related note i just found this while digging thru YT for early dead shows and it's pretty drat cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbzmRBU6Lg

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

The Cornell 5/8/77 show in particular is probably the most hyped single show, and it's an undeniably great show. i feel like scarlet begonias -> fire on the mountain is a great encapsulation of what the band was capable of here

I listened to that again recently and it is pretty good but there’s this one part in the encore where they do that sick st. Stephen and then a completely dull and long NFA and right at the end of it Phil takes the worst bass solo I’ve ever heard. It make me laugh out loud. Worth listening to the show just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Laserface posted:

If you like the 1972 sound, 3 of the best shows from that year were officially released as Sunshine Daydream, Dick's Picks 36, and Dave's Picks 11.

http://headyversion.com/ is a great resource if you want to explore a particular song or era, and I really like http://deadessays.blogspot.com/ for in-depth analysis.