Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I came across this podcast this week - it's recently started, and only the intro and the first episode are available. It's got some pedigree, in terms of the presenters, and while the intro episode is a bit "This is me!", I'm looking forward to the first episode, on The Running Man.

The hook is that each episode a guest picks a King story and the film adaptation, and discusses them both in relation.

Might be good!

Which would you choose?

I'd do the film Cat's Eye and the related stories, just to be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’d probably pick Maximum Overdrive or Creepshow. If I could talk to the man himself, I’d ask if he had any good stories with Tobe Hooper from when he did Salem’s Lot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teach posted:

I came across this podcast this week - it's recently started, and only the intro and the first episode are available. It's got some pedigree, in terms of the presenters, and while the intro episode is a bit "This is me!", I'm looking forward to the first episode, on The Running Man.

The hook is that each episode a guest picks a King story and the film adaptation, and discusses them both in relation.

Might be good!

Which would you choose?

I'd do the film Cat's Eye and the related stories, just to be different.

I feel like trying to compare the book The Running Man and the movie The Running Man is... I mean, why? They have very little in common besides “someone is hunted on TV” and the title.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd probably go with something where they're both equally great like Shawshank or The Body.

But then I dunno. Maybe to have more fun, pick two pieces where the disparity in quality is really vast like The Dark Tower or the IT miniseries. Or maybe Gerald's Game. People hate on the book but the Netflix movie was really good.

Come to think of it, that does sound fun so thanks for the link. I'm not sure what would be more enjoyable: picking a bad book and a good movie, a bad movie and a good book, a bad book and a bad movie or a good book and a good movie but they all have possibilities. For full comedic value, I feel like at least one of them at least has to be bad.

That is, assuming they're being comedic at all.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished If It Bleeds.

Holly story was pretty good. I really liked the Chuck one.

Other two were decent. Also in those two the main characters are writers/aspiring writers, in case you needed proof this was a Stephen King work.

Edit: also, the Holly story is a sequel to The Outsider and spoils that entire novel

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 17, 2020

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

In the last month or so I've read/reread It, If It Bleeds, The Shining, The Outsider, 11/22/63, Just After Sunset, and Finders Keepers, and I have to ask: what's with the Ship N Shore blouses? For that matter, why are the women in his books always wearing blouses or blouses and skirts? God forbid one be wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was thinking today about Battleground, from the Night Shift short story collection.

Something that I really liked about it is how Renshaw doesn't waste any time being dumbfounded by these tiny soldiers attacking him. He immediately rolls with it, and fights back. Even when he gets cornered in the bathroom, he isn't struck with the typical "What's happening? Am I going crazy?" sort of thoughts that tend to happen. He comes up with a plan on the spur of the moment, and is already thinking ahead to who gave him away, and what his next steps are.

Reminds me a bit of George Clooney's character in From Dusk Til Dawn.
Don't say to me "I don't believe in vampires", because I don't believe in vampires, but what I saw out there was loving vampires!

That was a great little story. Fast paced and knows exactly what it is meant to be, and a fun ending.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

In the last month or so I've read/reread It, If It Bleeds, The Shining, The Outsider, 11/22/63, Just After Sunset, and Finders Keepers, and I have to ask: what's with the Ship N Shore blouses? For that matter, why are the women in his books always wearing blouses or blouses and skirts? God forbid one be wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

Pretty sure it's the lady-version of the blue chambray workshirt.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd probably go with something where they're both equally great like Shawshank or The Body.

But then I dunno. Maybe to have more fun, pick two pieces where the disparity in quality is really vast like The Dark Tower or the IT miniseries. Or maybe Gerald's Game. People hate on the book but the Netflix movie was really good.

Come to think of it, that does sound fun so thanks for the link. I'm not sure what would be more enjoyable: picking a bad book and a good movie, a bad movie and a good book, a bad book and a bad movie or a good book and a good movie but they all have possibilities. For full comedic value, I feel like at least one of them at least has to be bad.

That is, assuming they're being comedic at all.

I think you'd want to do something where they're both fairly good, but they have some significant differences. Maybe The Mist.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

TheAardvark posted:

Just finished If It Bleeds.

Holly story was pretty good. I really liked the Chuck one.

Other two were decent. Also in those two the main characters are writers/aspiring writers, in case you needed proof this was a Stephen King work.

Edit: also, the Holly story is a sequel to The Outsider and spoils that entire novel

Well, gently caress. Good to know as I have If It Bleeds in my Audible queue and I havent read or watched The Outsider yet. I'll have to remedy that before I get into the former. Good looking out.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Working my way through If It Bleeds. The first two stories were great. Holly is poopy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just about to watch the Christopher Walken Dead Zone movie for the first time. It's pretty well regarded if I remember right?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay I'm 2/3 of the way through and this sucks. They stripped all the heart from the book, and a lot of the fun too. Christopher Walken was a terrible choice even though I love Christopher Walken.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m watching 11.22.63 for the first time and while I like Franco enough in the role, holy loving poo poo is this character the dumbest moron this side of Biff Tanner. I’m not even three episodes in and so far this guy’s done more damage than Homer Simpson in that Simpsons Halloween episode.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I’m watching 11.22.63 for the first time and while I like Franco enough in the role, holy loving poo poo is this character the dumbest moron this side of Biff Tanner. I’m not even three episodes in and so far this guy’s done more damage than Homer Simpson in that Simpsons Halloween episode.

To be fair that's accurate to the book.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Yep, that's all I could think of watching it. The story itself kind of needs that inner monologue that the book has to explain what he's thinking of or to explain what's happening.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Okay I'm 2/3 of the way through and this sucks. They stripped all the heart from the book, and a lot of the fun too. Christopher Walken was a terrible choice even though I love Christopher Walken.

It’s been so long since I’ve seen that movie that I can’t recall much about it except that...yeah, it’s not great.

The Dead Zone is a weird book. I can’t recall anyone talking about it in this thread even though it’s arguably one of King’s most successful properties. It had six seasons and a movie for Pete’s sake.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I feel like trying to compare the book The Running Man and the movie The Running Man is... I mean, why? They have very little in common besides “someone is hunted on TV” and the title.

In that case why not go with The Lawnmower Man?

Which iirc was discussed for laughs on The Loser’s Club podcast. Just in terms of old memories probably in The Shining episode where everyone had to see the TV movie as well.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like Dead Zone a lot. Granted I saw the movie first and am a fan of Cronenberg, but I think it works while being mostly faithful to the book. From what I remember they made the character a little darker and more isolated after the accident whereas the book makes him more sympathetic and human which kind of clashes with where he goes at the end. I think Walken was a good choice for how they were doing the character.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm reading Joe Hill. He is just small Stephen King. The stories are a bit more fantastical. I'm going in order. I finished 20th Century Ghosts and have started Heart Shaped Box. I've already read NOS4A2, Horns, and Full Throttle. I like him better than King at the moment.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Untrustable posted:

I'm reading Joe Hill. He is just small Stephen King. The stories are a bit more fantastical. I'm going in order. I finished 20th Century Ghosts and have started Heart Shaped Box. I've already read NOS4A2, Horns, and Full Throttle. I like him better than King at the moment.

NOS4A2 is as good as King’s very best, I straight up could not put that poo poo down.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Yikes, really? It's been day on my shelf for ages. I'll promote it to the top of the pile.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teach posted:

Yikes, really? It's been day on my shelf for ages. I'll promote it to the top of the pile.

I read it in two days. It has that thing it does where it kind of meanders (in a good way) in the beginning to set up the characters and then when poo poo hits the fan it just goes and has some really interesting stuff going on. Great villains, too, which is somewhere it succeeds and King usually doesn’t.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

NOS4A2 is as good as King’s very best, I straight up could not put that poo poo down.

its definitely way better than kings worst but i wouldnt put it anywhere close to his best. its similar in quality to tommyknockers or the talisman

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

its definitely way better than kings worst but i wouldnt put it anywhere close to his best. its similar in quality to tommyknockersor the talisman

:confused: Tommyknockers is easily one of his worst. The pacing alone of NOS4A2 shits all over Tommyknockers.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Untrustable posted:

I've yet to read any of his novels, but his comic Locke and Keye is great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
The show NOS4A2 is a lot of fun too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

:confused: Tommyknockers is easily one of his worst. The pacing alone of NOS4A2 shits all over Tommyknockers.

tommyknockers is way better than liseys story, bag of bones, dr sleep, roadwork, the list goes on

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's good, but it's strictly in the middle-tier of King's writing. It doesn't stack up to the top-shelf King like Pet Sematary, The Dead Zone, Revival, or any of his short story collections.

I'd put it squarely in the middle of the pack along with the Talisman, which it really reminded me of.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

scary ghost dog posted:

tommyknockers is way better than liseys story, bag of bones, dr sleep, roadwork, the list goes on

That's kind of a dumb list but:

a) Lisey's Story was adorbs, my SO just loved quoting the icky squicky lines at me (I am somewhat piebald)
b) Bag of Bones, that one was okay, it was a really boring movie with Pierce Brosnan but the book grabbed me with its spookiness
c) Dr. Sleep, well that one grabbed me and made me never want to hook up with a single mother who has a cocaine and alcohol addiction that outweighs the value of her young child's life (many would agree)
d) roadwork, that was not Dolan's Cadillac

I contest that SK's Florida stories are currently best and most relevant, gently caress ME

Duma Key, and that guy that got trapped in a porta potty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0NeG0HpkE

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

RCarr posted:

You’ll know exactly when it takes a nosedive.

I enjoyed the ending, but struggled with the middle of The Outsider. It just lost its narrative drive for me after one of the key events in the story.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That's kind of a dumb list but:

a) Lisey's Story was adorbs, my SO just loved quoting the icky squicky lines at me (I am somewhat piebald)
b) Bag of Bones, that one was okay, it was a really boring movie with Pierce Brosnan but the book grabbed me with its spookiness
c) Dr. Sleep, well that one grabbed me and made me never want to hook up with a single mother who has a cocaine and alcohol addiction that outweighs the value of her young child's life (many would agree)
d) roadwork, that was not Dolan's Cadillac

I contest that SK's Florida stories are currently best and most relevant, gently caress ME

Duma Key, and that guy that got trapped in a porta potty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0NeG0HpkE

duma key rules

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I really liked the second story in If It Bleeds. It's beautiful and sad. Definitely written by a human who knows he's got a lot less time in front of him than he does behind who has come to accept that fact.

Not looking forward to story 3 and more Mercedesverse nonsense.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I really liked the second story in If It Bleeds. It's beautiful and sad. Definitely written by a human who knows he's got a lot less time in front of him than he does behind who has come to accept that fact.

Not looking forward to story 3 and more Mercedesverse nonsense.

My Pretty Pony

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

duma key rules

Duma Key was really good, my only complaint is that it laid on the foreshadowing incredibly thickly, even for Stephen King.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

re: Joe Hill, may be unpopular opinion around here but I loving love Horns. I'm a sucker for stories where completely inexplicable poo poo happens and is never explained. I mean, I appreciate "The Moving Finger" for gently caress sakes.

Also "Pop Art" is the best short story I've read in 20 years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm going to make a website called "The Stephen King Plot Generator" and all it's going to have is a button that says "generate plot" and when you hit it it brings up the words "alcoholic writer has unfinished business" and that's all that it ever generates no matter how many times you hit the button.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man, 11.22.63 (the tv series) was a bit of a letdown.

Oh well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

Man, 11.22.63 (the tv series) was a bit of a letdown.

Oh well.

It started strong but fell apart by the end for sure. The book meandered in the middle but I liked that, and it gave a sense of Jake being torn between his old life and his life in the past. The show just failed to pull that off and it hosed with the entire rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I went and looked at the synopsis for this, it really sounds like a grab bag of his dad's favorite ideas and themes remixed but if the pacing is right I can see how it would be very engaging.