Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/20/uk-furniture-stores-to-reopen-in-time-for-bank-holiday-weekend

Cool, so anyone who is in a relationship with someone they don't live with still can't see them other than by standing two metres away outside... but furniture stores will be open? Man, with furniture and garden stores open, it's like everything is back to normal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/20/uk-furniture-stores-to-reopen-in-time-for-bank-holiday-weekend

Cool, so anyone who is in a relationship with someone they don't live with still can't see them other than by standing two metres away outside... but furniture stores will be open? Man, with furniture and garden stores open, it's like everything is back to normal!

quote:

The move comes after the government confirmed furniture stores were classified as ‘essential’

ahhhhghhhhhh

Saint Drogo posted:

bring it back round on Boris imo, who directly instructed them to do it for a few days of tabloid grace.

you're right, gently caress the government

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

DTF? No! DFS etc

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I think more clarification is needed tbh. Like, if my other half and I meet outside (two metres apart) can we go into a DFS together? Could we buy a sofa and carry it to mine (one at either end for distancing) but then since she can't come in unless I employ her since we don't co-habit, would I have to give her some money before she carried her end of the sofa into my flat?

What if we go mad with passion in DFS after not seeing each other for so long? Honestly, this whole thing is a minefield but thank god people will be able to buy sofas again

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Just shag on a DFS test bed and go your separate ways until next time like everyone else, gently caress

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Buy a big bed so you and your gf can live in sin.

And another wardrobe am I right fellas?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cloner of the Elks posted:

Just shag on a DFS test bed and go your separate ways until next time like everyone else, gently caress

I'm not seeing that on the prohibited list so yeah this seems like the best option tbh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I relaxed in the sun in the local park, drank some beer and read Gene Wolfe's Soldier in the Mist. His narrator's sense of dislocation really hits home right now.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Galewolf posted:

Oh boy, I can imagine all Londoners packing into their cars and trains to go to the beach in Brighton. I was there before Christmas and I imagine it's lovely if the weather is like the same in here but dear god.

My hot take: Brighton doesn’t have a beach, literally anywhere on the south coast would be better for that. And everything else that makes Brighton good is surely shut?

Aginor posted:

Mate of a mate says there's an influx of new covid-19 patients in Warwickshire.

Why Warwickshire in particular, there’s not much there?
And even the Cotswolds is mostly in Gloucestershire.

I was down there for a country walk the other day, but barely saw a soul for 5 hours.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
£69 for a Covid-19 test from Superdrug. Where did this number come from are they just trolling us?

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/coronavirus-antibody-test-kits.html

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

wooger posted:

My hot take: Brighton doesn’t have a beach, literally anywhere on the south coast would be better for that. And everything else that makes Brighton good is surely shut?

It does look like an aggregate crushing plants stock area but,still, it's quite long and spacious which I prefer instead of sandier but smaller beaches.

Granted that I haven't seen many beaches in here so idk.

I had some mussels by the beach when I was there and had a G&T for two quid in one of the bar/clubs looking at the pier, it was good.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, no new corona cases in London today guys, see you at the pub on Friday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...3876.html%3famp

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

£69 for a Covid-19 test from Superdrug. Where did this number come from are they just trolling us?

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/coronavirus-antibody-test-kits.html

Superdrug posted:

Due to the high demand of orders, this service is currently not available. Please email us at email-removed if you wish to be contacted when we resume our service.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Renfield posted:

Superdrug posted:

Due to the high demand of orders, this service is currently not available. Please email us at email-removed if you wish to be contacted when we resume our service.

I'm sure it violates data protection laws but I'd love to know the ratio of orders Vs people that actually test positive

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

quote:

Speaking at the No 10 daily briefing on Wednesday, Prof Powis said: "Public Health England have been evaluating the new antibody tests, the commercial tests that are becoming available."

But he added: "I would caution against using any tests that might be made available without knowing quite how good those tests are... I would caution people against being tempted to have those tests."

wit
Jul 26, 2011

blunt posted:

I'm sure it violates data protection laws but I'd love to know the ratio of orders Vs people that actually test positive

Oh you'll hear the numbers alright. They'll be big, and make the case for opening up very strong. I probably sound like a conspiracy lunatic, but it would certainly be excellent timing to have a huge amount of the population doing antibody tests precisely at this moment. Its almost impeccable timing if its coincidental, given that if they came out a month ago when they were supposed to, that data wouldn't benefit the country much at all (or at least the case for easing restrictions) and few people are going to get tested more than once to see if they have at some stage had it. No evidence to say heels were dragged so that the testing and reopening happened at the same time, but its certainly convenient.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Yeah if I could conveniently buy an antibody test at a good price I would.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ape Fist posted:

Yeah if I could conveniently buy an antibody test at a good price I would.

Sounds like something the government should be paying for. What are we loving America?

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

I would love an antibody test, just in case I managed to get it and be asymptomatic. Then I could go outside without darting my eyes wildly and angrily from behind my mask at everyone.

I uh, I realised my financial situation wasn't going to improve anytime soon and cats are expensive. Rather than begging for charity, I made an SA mart thread where you can buy my art at cheap prices. I probably should have done that a while back but I'm real bad at selling my stuff.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924278

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Can't wait for the country to split in two, The Recovered and the Weak.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

My friend is thinking of delaying his wedding from end of August for a year, I think it's wise not only because I doubt hell be allowed (if any) more than 10 guests, but also because I haven't made a decent best man's speech yet.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

My sister's just delayed hers from August to next April, it's a sensible move

I've done two best man's speeches and definitely didn't have anything prepared for either three months out so

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I had two weddings get pushed.

One was in May and they rescheduled it till 2021 and the other was supposed to be in June in northern Italy which obviously was doomed months ago.

The one in Italy has been rescheduled to backyard wedding in Ipswich which works a little better for me but I feel bad for them since they did so much planning and lost some of their deposits.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
my brother unfortunately had a wedding planned for the summer. they are trying to get deposits back because what's the chances of any of those companies still existing when they want to reschedule.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We're looking at rescheduling ours. We're in Scotland and it's early October so, not sure if it'll be allowed or not. Hoping we can just pick a date next year, give everyone time to get their poo poo together etc.

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII
Had a milestone birthday in April.
Was meant to have my stag in Spain in May.
Was due to get married in July, now been moved to 2022.
Still have a 2 week honeymoon booked for Italy in August that might still have to go ahead.

Ain't no party like an S Club party..

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Do not, my friends, become addicted to testing. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Our air-bnb holiday (a remote, secluded wood cabin in the middle of nowhere) was cancelled. Guess we'll just stay in civilisation instead!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Went to the supermarket this morning and maybe one in five people was wearing a mask/face covering of any kind, so I guess that advice was really taken on board by people.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You just have to be alert m9

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm going for my fortnightly shop today. I won't be wearing a mask.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

sassassin posted:

I'm going for my fortnightly shop today. I won't be wearing a mask.

in post-apocalyptic Britain, the mask wears you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm in the mood for a Subway sandwich but obviously they're closed. I have no issues making my own which would likely be better but it's the bread that is a problem. I can't be arsed to make my own so what supermarket has anything comparable?

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

Why Warwickshire in particular, there’s not much there?
And even the Cotswolds is mostly in Gloucestershire.

I was down there for a country walk the other day, but barely saw a soul for 5 hours.

Couldn't tell you why to be fair. Guy works in Warwick hospital I believe and he says there's been increases. I suppose because you've got places like Warwick and Stratford-upon-avon with an elderly demographic, as soon as lockdown was eased these places are prime for people wandering around like close packed sheep.

Gloucester, for example, everybody is out and about by the docks. loving irritating when you're hungover and just want cigarettes and coffee.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Jose posted:

I'm in the mood for a Subway sandwich but obviously they're closed. I have no issues making my own which would likely be better but it's the bread that is a problem. I can't be arsed to make my own so what supermarket has anything comparable?

I think the "half baked full baguette" might be your best bet. Throw that bad boy into the oven for like 8 mins and 360noscope it with the fillings.

Pretty much every market chain used to have those.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Sainsburys/ASDA have fairly decent bread selections in their superstores. Bit of tiger bread would be perfect for a sandwich.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Jose posted:

That depends on what sub you usually go for, duh

Maybe get a bake-at-home baton, or novelty sized hotdog buns, or just buy flatbreads depending on what you usually go for. Idk Jose, get creative!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
alternatively open your own subway franchise and eat all the subs you want AND make money

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cloner of the Elks posted:

alternatively open your own subway franchise and eat all the subs you want AND make money

Yes. This is the correct option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Aginor posted:

Couldn't tell you why to be fair. Guy works in Warwick hospital I believe and he says there's been increases. I suppose because you've got places like Warwick and Stratford-upon-avon with an elderly demographic, as soon as lockdown was eased these places are prime for people wandering around like close packed sheep.

Gloucester, for example, everybody is out and about by the docks. loving irritating when you're hungover and just want cigarettes and coffee.

Tell a lie here. He actually works in a London hospital which begs the question why are the media reporting no new cases in London?