Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

i figured that pretty much all games look and play identically on both consoles at this point. kind of seemed that way last gen too

if youre on base consoles the ps4 still has the edge usually either in a locked 1080p rather than a dynamic res on xbone or a more stable frame rate. ps4 exclusives generally look nicer than stuff on the base xbone will because of the extra stuff in there for first party devs to make use of. if youre on ps4 pro and xbonx then the xbonx is more powerful so often runs at a higher res or frame rate. its a bit different this time because the main issue last gen was the ps3 was created by "ricky" the mad scientist from "Rick and morky" and was impossible to use so early multiplats were awful, but outside of some stand outs later things were mostly even. this gen both the base and the pro models still have real power differences and are very similar so the more powerful one will always have an advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Crayta is going to have fewer user made creations, and a smaller community then ZZT.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

So to continue this from earlier... I found out that with a Pro account, there are a handful of games that you can play for free. And I also saw that you can get a 2 month free trial of a Pro account. I figured I'd sign up for Pro, see how well it works, and then probably cancel immediately.

But, I can't figure out how to activate a pro account! I declined "Pro" when I set up my account and now I don't see an upgrade option anywhere. I've been searching the UI for 10 minutes. It's nowhere to be found! Clicking "Manage my Account" brings me to a Google Account page that shows me my current active payments and subscriptions... but I can't "add" anything from there. The Stadia website itself has a "subscriptions" section but it's the same — it only shows your current subscriptions and doesn't allow you to add subscriptions. The Stadia store doesn't have any search (!!!!) so I can't even search for Pro. What kind of a business is this???

I think https://stadia.com/pro should get you to the trial. I had the same issue.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Well, that was fast:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/05/doom-eternal-anti-cheat-kernel-driver-is-safer-than-others-denuvo-says/

quote:

After receiving a deluge of complaints, the makers of Doom Eternal have announced plans to reverse course on its kernel-level anti-cheat system.

In a Wednesday post at Reddit's Doom community, Doom Eternal executive producer Marty Stratton confirmed that the game's next patch will strip Denuvo Anti-Cheat from the game in its entirety. "Despite our best intentions, feedback from players has made it clear that we must re-evaluate our approach to anti-cheat integration," Stratton wrote. "As we examine any future of anti-cheat in Doom Eternal, at a minimum we must consider giving campaign-only players the ability to play without anti-cheat software installed, as well as ensure the overall timing of any anti-cheat integration better aligns with player expectations around clear initiatives—like ranked or competitive play—where demand for anti-cheat is far greater."

Stratton also claimed that the latest patch's issues with "performance and frame rate drops" were in no way due to the new Denuvo system but rather issues with "customizable skins" and "a code change we made around VRAM allocation." id Software has yet to date this upcoming patch.
Meanwhile on the stadia there weren't enough players for id to notice.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Blotto_Otter posted:

Is this the general belief within Google, or is this just H.A.'s opinion? How do you square that belief with the fact that this is a unique time where lapsed and casual gamers are more inclined to get back into gaming than ever, and yet none of them seem to be flocking to Stadia? If it's not the fault of the product, then what's the alternative explanation, that it's a failure of marketing? Am I replying to an actual effort post, or am I just taking the bait again?

I wouldn't say none of them are flocking to Stadia - the usage and player base is WAY up. The player base is way more diversified than just Destiny 2.

Awareness is still lacking in some regard, but improving. People are not sure what Stadia is or what it offers - it's a challenger product in a very entrenched market. The landing page for Stadia.com doesn't do a great job to explain what Stadia is for someone who is uninformed or understandably not willing to do all the research - they shouldn't have to and its a huge miss. Gating behind hardware purchase was another big limitation to early adoption, but the service is also in a much better place today than it was at launch. When users are signed up, onboarding experience can improved. As many in this thread have pointed out its confusing when you first start out - there's not a lot of hand holding or education, e.g. how do I get game? where /how can I play?

None of the YouTube integrations are live yet, which is a huge lost opportunity for user acquisition and platform differentiation.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hostile apostle posted:

I wouldn't say none of them are flocking to Stadia - the usage and player base is WAY up. The player base is way more diversified than just Destiny 2.
I guess two dozen to three dozen subscribers is a huge percentage increase :xd:

The fact remains the stadia has a slower release cadence and smaller user base than some of the least successful game consoles in all history, and if your posts are any indication of how HQ is interpreting that you're DOOMed Eternally. To call this a tire fire would be unfair to tires because those last longer than the average Google product.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 21, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The Stadia:

hostile apostle posted:

People are not sure what Stadia is

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hostile apostle posted:

no hardware needed

hostile apostle posted:

Gating behind hardware purchase was another big limitation to early adoption
:shuckyes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hostile apostle posted:

Awareness is still lacking in some regard, but improving. People are not sure what Stadia is or what it offers - it's a challenger product in a very entrenched market. The landing page for Stadia.com doesn't do a great job to explain what Stadia is for someone who is uninformed or understandably not willing to do all the research - they shouldn't have to and its a huge miss. Gating behind hardware purchase was another big limitation to early adoption, but the service is also in a much better place today than it was at launch. When users are signed up, onboarding experience can improved. As many in this thread have pointed out its confusing when you first start out - there's not a lot of hand holding or education, e.g. how do I get game? where /how can I play?

None of the YouTube integrations are live yet, which is a huge lost opportunity for user acquisition and platform differentiation.

If Stadia has all these lost opportunities, how are they expecting to recover in a quarantine environment when people are heavily buying consoles to keep them sane?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

do you have any numbers you can share

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

hostile apostle posted:

Counting Destiny 2 players is an excellent metric since that's the big title that Google hypes as being free with Pro. Therefore nearly everyone who signs up will use D2 to check the service out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

awareness is improving now let me list a bunch of basic stuff that is somehow still not fixed 6 months later despite being by google who are both rich and deal constantly with ui and web design

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stux posted:

awareness is improving now let me list a bunch of basic stuff that is somehow still not fixed 6 months later despite being by google who are both rich and deal constantly with ui and web design

it’s because no one at google gives a poo poo, hardly anyone is playing so why bother

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

...! posted:

Counting Destiny 2 players is an excellent metric since that's the big title that Google hypes as being free with Pro. Therefore nearly everyone who signs up will use D2 to check the service out.
It's also free to play generally, so anyone who even considers the service can try it out. It's the one game every single person signed up to Stadia can play.

hostile apostle posted:

People are not sure what Stadia is
This is a damning indictment of the effectiveness of Google's ad tech, because I get constant pre-roll ads for Stadia watching Youtube videos on my phone. If that kind of blanket advertising on one of Google's own sites isn't telling people what Stadia is then either Youtube advertising doesn't work or whatever agency Google gets to do their advertising has produced a bunch of terrible, ineffective ads that aren't doing their job.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

Wait what? This blows my loving mind. Huge lost opportunity is a massive understatement

We live in the day and age where streaming and influencers are far and away the #1 marketing tool in the gaming market to the point that traditional ads try and ape it with fake influencers acting like it's a recorded clip from a livestream, and Google couldn't get their Youtube department to work with their up and coming, game changing, Stadia department to make sure that integration was 100% done and rock solid before launch, and still isn't 6 months later?

They also did this 5 years after Microsoft and Sony baked streaming poo poo into their new consoles at the operating system level, and Google figured it'd be OK to release Stadia without anything at all.

Wow, just wow......

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rudager posted:

They also did this 5 years after Microsoft and Sony baked streaming poo poo into their new consoles at the operating system level, and Google figured it'd be OK to release Stadia without anything at all.
Don't forget they had this grand suite of Youtube integration planned out before launch but it launched without any of the features they showed off at the initial announcement and that they're still not in there after this long says either there's some massive complication with implementing them or some internal politics is being played by the Youtube team not wanting to be associated with the sinking ship. Or they never planned to have them and just wanted something flashy to make the announcement look good given we know the only thing people care about at Google is the product launch.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

This is a damning indictment of the effectiveness of Google's ad tech, because I get constant pre-roll ads for Stadia watching Youtube videos on my phone. If that kind of blanket advertising on one of Google's own sites isn't telling people what Stadia is then either Youtube advertising doesn't work or whatever agency Google gets to do their advertising has produced a bunch of terrible, ineffective ads that aren't doing their job.
Youtube (and really all) ad-blocking is trivial on every device I own and it rules. Whatever Google is siphoning out of my phone to show me more ads is having exactly zero effect.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

have there been any feature/functionality updates at all, other than being supported on a few more android phones and using a stadia controller wirelessly on pc? i can’t think of any

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They can't even get save states working properly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

Awareness is still lacking in some regard, but improving. People are not sure what Stadia is or what it offers

For a company that runs not only the entire internet marketing industry but also most of the internet video industry this is ... a lol.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Weedle posted:

have there been any feature/functionality updates at all, other than being supported on a few more android phones and using a stadia controller wirelessly on pc? i can’t think of any

Sign up on web, base tier launch, 4k on web, 1440 on web, captures on web, stream connect is live in a few titles like Div2 or Ghost Recon, achievements, various QoL improvements.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's a Challenger product in that it imploded spectacularly.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

hostile apostle posted:

Sign up on web, base tier launch, 4k on web, 1440 on web, captures on web, stream connect is live in a few titles like Div2 or Ghost Recon, achievements, various QoL improvements.

You should probably not reference achievements, given the constant posts about quite hilarious Stadia-wide (not game specific) achievement issues I see on r/stadia.

And if you want to count QoL improvements, you need to list them. "Various" is too vague. It could mean literally anything.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Timed exclusives even for 30 days is what stadia needs to do. People will not want to wait and try it on stadia and see drat I noticed no lag and this was fast to load etc and that will turn people into stadia fans! 30 days or even two weeks if the cost is cheap enough would be the best thing stadia could do!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

I would LOVE Star Citizen in the future

quote:

that game literally is like what you imagine a next gen early access to be. it's way ahead even in it's current state. I have an 325A and an M50 ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyy7fHjDMFs 325A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C_Z7AlHBYE M50

I know "Star Citizen on Stadia" is low hanging fruit but I'll be damned if I can't help but pick it every time I see it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Where can I check out the stream connect feature? What streamers are using it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Where can I check out the stream connect feature? What streamers are using it?

that's not like twitch streaming, that's the PiP stream where you can see what your bud is doing in a grindy shooter that requires very little real teamwork

another potentially interesting feature if you have a good game that was built around it rather than being glued on to Ubisoft Open World Action Game 2019

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

You can use KBM on Stadia. No controller needed.

Only on pc and still it depends on the type of game (good luck playing grid on Keyboard)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

"One of the most hotly anticipated benefits is the ability for a game to include far, far more concurrent users in the same environment or match. Today, Fortnite maxes at 100 concurrent players, with Call of Duty: Warzone peaking at 150. There are several constraints to expanding this gap (more on this later), but local processing is a key one. There’s simply a low limit to how many players (each of whom is constantly generating input and positional data) an at-home processor can track and render."

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

the crowd interaction idea has existed as an option for devs on ps4 since launch and has been live in the wild. daylight came out in 2014 with it as a major feature.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

ha should have to unblock me to keep posting

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

you can have 1000 players in a game running on a ps4 its not a real issue

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

remember when the xbone was going to be more powerful than the ps4 because of cloud processing and crackdown was going to run full physics simulations in the cloud

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I wish HA would do something useful with his time like unionizing his coworkers instead of trying to convince a bunch of jaded nerds that Stadia is good.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Rudager posted:

Wait what? This blows my loving mind. Huge lost opportunity is a massive understatement

We live in the day and age where streaming and influencers are far and away the #1 marketing tool in the gaming market to the point that traditional ads try and ape it with fake influencers acting like it's a recorded clip from a livestream, and Google couldn't get their Youtube department to work with their up and coming, game changing, Stadia department to make sure that integration was 100% done and rock solid before launch, and still isn't 6 months later?

Wow, just wow......

When Apex legends came out they payed Ninja and Shroud to play it for a day and that was enough to catapult it to a nr2 spot in the BR world.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

...! posted:

I know "Star Citizen on Stadia" is low hanging fruit but I'll be damned if I can't help but pick it every time I see it.

Can somebody please post (presumably reddit ) link ?

I want to upvote it, because I really,really want to see star citizen/SQ54 as stadia timed exclusive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stadia trip report 2,

Trying again from the free airport wifi because gently caress trying to blow through my cell data.

Destiny 2 looks a lot better vs PUBG and I think that is because of the color pallet D2 uses. The game ran ok but there were lots of lag spikes which I'm sure is from the poo poo wifi.

I am playing on my 2018 15" MBP and its nice that it stays nice and cool but when I tried to go into the data settings I need to use the mobile app to change it? I can't believe that is still a thing and it seems really stupid I need to download an app for my phone that I'll only use to change settings because I can't game with the app. :shrug:

I'm going to try and download the app and lower the quality and see if that helps any.

I think if I stream at 720p it might play ok.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

You really should have a hard look at your product when you're listing "sign up on a website" as an added feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Get better, Tax Man. :smith:

Hey, at least you you don't need to call from a Google Fi number only registered on the bay area