Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sometimes you just gotta take the piss outta brown shoes.

That movie being a clarion call for every jerkoff bro type to fly probably did more to prevent me from going air than anything else. I really wanted to fly fixed wing going into ROTC. After my week with the airdales during CORTRAMID, I knew I wouldn't be able to stand working with guys like that on a daily basis.

The air detachment on my second ship confirmed my theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

That movie being a clarion call for every jerkoff bro type to fly probably did more to prevent me from going air than anything else. I really wanted to fly fixed wing going into ROTC. After my week with the airdales during CORTRAMID, I knew I wouldn't be able to stand working with guys like that on a daily basis.

You just know the sequel won't be able to resist having Our Heroes get a guns kill for maximum HOORAH points.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Madurai posted:

You just know the sequel won't be able to resist having Our Heroes get a guns kill for maximum HOORAH points.

And by that, you of course mean by using their sidearm with an open cockpit in the middle of a dogfight.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

And by that, you of course mean by using their sidearm with an open cockpit in the middle of a dogfight.

That'll be the mirror of the inverted flipping-the-bird scene.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlternateNu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLUGBujl2-0

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Gravelly voice: "We read you loud and clear."

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

AlternateNu posted:

Show me on the doll where the mean aviator touched you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

In a shocker to nobody following my Navy career my travel got pushed back again and now im flying commercial to Rome then a two week ROM.

Beats the rotator I suppose.

From start of orders to BOG I’m calculating 5 months and 16 days with only 25 days in uniform in between.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

In a shocker to nobody following my Navy career my travel got pushed back again and now im flying commercial to Rome then a two week ROM.

Beats the rotator I suppose.

From start of orders to BOG I’m calculating 5 months and 16 days with only 25 days in uniform in between.

Anything beats the rotator.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Anything beats the rotator.

Yeah just dealing with anxiety over starting work and leaving home but I am thankful for that.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1263143332110188544?s=20

I'm no memesmith but I don't think that is how that meme works. Still made me remember that the crew thought that destroying the display monitors was the same as destroying the HD plates.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1263143332110188544?s=20

I'm no memesmith but I don't think that is how that meme works. Still made me remember that the crew thought that destroying the display monitors was the same as destroying the HD plates.

I had a conversation with a guy recently with some connections to people involved about this; apparently even though the crew got a hero’s welcome upon returning (like the plane commander tossing first pitch at Mariners game, etc) behind the scenes were different. The careers were over of several of the officers on board, they were told “start looking for a new job” kinda thing. Basically they should’ve called for SAR, ditched the plane in the ocean rather than hand it over to the Chinese, utilized the extensive water survival training aircrews got, etc.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
It’s apparently a VQ wardroom tradition to do dramatic readings of this book https://www.amazon.com/Born-Fly-Untold-American-Reconnaissance/dp/0767911113

Not sure if he is still around or not but it wouldn’t surprise me if all the senior guys got quietly benched and given poo poo orders until they separated.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Wonder Free posted:

It’s apparently a VQ wardroom tradition to do dramatic readings of this book https://www.amazon.com/Born-Fly-Untold-American-Reconnaissance/dp/0767911113

Not sure if he is still around or not but it wouldn’t surprise me if all the senior guys got quietly benched and given poo poo orders until they separated.

He left the navy in ‘05 as a LCDR with 9 years of active fwiw, so...

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dingleberry posted:

I had a conversation with a guy recently with some connections to people involved about this; apparently even though the crew got a hero’s welcome upon returning (like the plane commander tossing first pitch at Mariners game, etc) behind the scenes were different. The careers were over of several of the officers on board, they were told “start looking for a new job” kinda thing. Basically they should’ve called for SAR, ditched the plane in the ocean rather than hand it over to the Chinese, utilized the extensive water survival training aircrews got, etc.

Good.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

No loving kidding.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dingleberry posted:

He left the navy in ‘05 as a LCDR with 9 years of active fwiw, so...

Eh...that's about normal for a non-careerist. It's about the time the commitment is up.

Edit: I'm assuming the Navy and AF work similarly.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Dingleberry posted:

utilized the extensive water survival training aircrews got, etc.

Was this training anything like they're data security training?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Eh...that's about normal for a non-careerist. It's about the time the commitment is up.

Edit: I'm assuming the Navy and AF work similarly.

Yup i think its like 8 years after you get your wings.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

CMD598 posted:

Was this training anything like they're data security training?

Water survival is a giant fake helicopter fuselage with a bunch of seats you have to escape out of blindfolded. In flight school you also have to swim a mile in boots and a flight suit. You get kicked in the head a lot.

My understanding is that they didn’t really do data destruction drills prior to that. When I went through P-3 training in 2010 there were formal procedures and checklists and we had to do it each flight in flight school. When the P-8 rolled out, they carried a nail gun to shoot through hard drives and stuff, but they replaced it with some electronic hard drive erasing thing.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Anyone at NAS Corpus Christi?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/naval-air-station-corpus-christi-lockdown/index.html

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Water survival is loving awesome.

Having to use it in real life, probably less so.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
limdu for six months. dont be like me, if you need help, get it instead of bottling it up like a dummy

portsmouth food was good tho

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

boy are my arms tired posted:

limdu for six months. dont be like me, if you need help, get it instead of bottling it up like a dummy

lordy man PM me if you want to vent to someone

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

lordy man PM me if you want to vent to someone

I'm vented out now thanks to therapy and a week at the fifth floor but I've got some stories to tell when some more time has passed

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

Glad you ended up find the help you needed and got through to the other side.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Yeah man I’m so sorry you had a rough spot like this. Give your kids a hug from us and maybe next year we can grab another burger.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Nick Soapdish posted:

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah man I’m so sorry you had a rough spot like this. Give your kids a hug from us and maybe next year we can grab another burger.

thanks guys.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Got a speeding ticket today leaving Dam Neck Annex. The cop wasn't wearing a mask!!! ACAB

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Last. Day. AD. 214 in hand.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:toot:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
you should smoke an entire weed

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1266024977276551171?s=19

Can almost taste that near beer. Was joking with a friend on the Blue Ridge that he was a real salty Sailor now that they and the ship had their first beer day like ever

King of Bees posted:

Congratulations!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Paging DustyNuts to the thread. I'm not sure if you've got PMs or not.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congratulations!

Thanks! I'm gonna smoke weed and go protest poo poo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah he has PMs

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1266024977276551171?s=19

Can almost taste that near beer. Was joking with a friend on the Blue Ridge that he was a real salty Sailor now that they and the ship had their first beer day like ever

Congratulations!

The sheer number of people in these pictures always astonishes me

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

King of Bees posted:

I still got 5 more months, but god I'm so horny to be out.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

ManMythLegend posted:

Paging DustyNuts to the thread. I'm not sure if you've got PMs or not.

I have PMs! What's up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He’s gonna set you up for an ambush.