Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The thing with Snyder is that none of his movies are particularly good? I even liked Man of Steel and Watchmen but they were really flawed movies anyway. He's never done anything "great" so why do ppl care about his SnYdEr CuT

Tip posted:

I really enjoyed his Dawn of the Dead remake when I saw it like 20 years ago, but I don't know if it holds up.

I was just gonna say, DOTD is one of his better films but it's a VERY low bar. Watchmen is visually great and I think Larry Fong basically carries a LOT of Snyder's work.

Like, for a true vision of pure-strain Snyder, you just need to look at Sucker Punch, which is genuinely one of the worst pieces of poo poo ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

300 is basically fascist propaganda

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Whorelord posted:

The graphic novel, absolutely

The movie, not if you use your brain

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Tried to watch the Picard reviews a few times but just can't get myself to care about the show or Plinkett at all. It's weird because I'm not a star wars guy either but those were pretty fun to watch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Whorelord posted:

Transformers the Animated Movie is disgusting pro-Autobot propaganda that undermines our proud Decepticon cybetronian institutions.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Agreed. Those scenes and the data ones were the most bearable

STP made the same mistake that loving NBC made with that Joey spinoff. The appeal of Friends was seeing the friends—people we know and like all straight chillin together. At its very best TNG was basically a hangout show in space. It wasn’t good just because the Captain was a great character.

They should’ve done a miniseries of Picard rounding up the old crew one by one for some reason, episode by episode, until we end with elderly TNG. That was the magic of those TOS movies. It was novel seeing Kirk, McCoy, and Spock all old and fat, going on a final adventure

Basically a season long version of All Good Things with no old person makeup necessary. Instead we got the Star Trek version of this:

I'm not sure if that was Stewart or Kurtzmann, or maybe both deciding they didn't want to use the old ensemble for ego-reasons or 'artistic' reasons, but yeah I think they misunderstood TNG's nature as an ensemble show. Sure, the character Picard's good enough to carry 25-30 minutes of an episode's A-plot but he's not good enough to carry 7.5 hours of serialized television.

Also the lack of the TNG ensemble made the other cameos stick out like a sore thumb and feel incredibly self-indulgent, see Seven of Nine.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

mobby_6kl posted:

Tried to watch the Picard reviews a few times but just can't get myself to care about the show or Plinkett at all. It's weird because I'm not a star wars guy either but those were pretty fun to watch.

The Picard review needed a wraparound story.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The graphic novel, absolutely

The movie, not if you use your brain

How so? We're never given any indication that the story told by the ubersmench Europeans holding back the black and swarthy easterners is anything other than the absolute truth.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

luchajones posted:

The Picard review needed a wraparound story.

Nah probably just needed to be cut in half because the middle is insanely stretched out content and befuddled mike stoklasa is not funny the twentieth time he goes to it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've only seen Watchman from the Snyder library, it was alright. Not perfect and the changed ending was a huge missed opportunity, but decent enough. Kind of a pity he's gone from "a promising talent" to "a meme" but I suppose if you can meme your way to thirty mil...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've been putting off watching the plinkett review because I knew learning the depths of STPs shittiness would make me miserable but hear me out

The emotion I felt the most was pure confusion. Mike kept bringing up STP details or plot points and I thought they were a joke. Like not real.

Its do bad I can't be mad. Its so bad its scrambling my brain

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

I've only seen Watchman from the Snyder library, it was alright. Not perfect and the changed ending was a huge missed opportunity, but decent enough. Kind of a pity he's gone from "a promising talent" to "a meme" but I suppose if you can meme your way to thirty mil...

Only Snyder could do a shot for shot adaptation of Watchmen and somehow totally miss the message and invert the book's morality

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
snyder likes to film paintings

big Napoleonic Coronation paintings

he does not do characterizations, and this is why his movies come across fashy

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Phi230 posted:

Only Snyder could do a shot for shot adaptation of Watchmen and somehow totally miss the message and invert the book's morality

I don't think he inverted the book's morality, really. I do think there were a lot of themes around feelings of inadequacy and being washed up that Snyder simply wasn't able to convey because he's a badass dude who has no concept of personal weakness or being resigned to failure. It's like someone who has only ever lived on a remote tropical island trying to convey the feeling of being in a blizzard. So even though Rorschach was a crazy loner he was still a gruff badass. Even though Night Owl 2 was basically a fat nerd he still did awesome slow-mo kung-fu. And I think the Night Own 1 stuff got cut out completely.

As for 300, all the fascism was directly from Frank Miller's book. It was interesting seeing the shift from Sin City, where Robert Rodriguez was able to use irony and the grind house tone to soften the deeply fascist nature of Miller's source material, to 300, where Snyder faithfully put the book on screen.

Alan Smithee posted:

snyder likes to film paintings

big Napoleonic Coronation paintings

he does not do characterizations, and this is why his movies come across fashy

A Snyder-directed Napoleon biopic would be loving badass.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

So even though Rorschach was a crazy loner he was still a gruff badass. Even though Night Owl 2 was basically a fat nerd he still did awesome slow-mo kung-fu.

Thats an inversion of the book's morality lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In theory, Snyder and DC comics are a good fit. Better than Watchmen because it's not supposed to be ironic. He just needs to somehow get dialed back like 10% because it's just too much slow-mo angst all at once. But not by adding Joss Whedon to the project, because that's just like the total opposite.

(I am not arguing in favor of the Snyder cut, because that will definitely go too far, unless it's technologically impossible for him to do so at this point)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can you imagine a Snyder cut of the Sucker Punch? I would throw HBO Max a month of subscription to watch this train wreck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

A Snyder-directed Napoleon biopic would be loving awful.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Give Snyder a shot at Jesus or some other biblical story.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Coming 2022

SNYDER'S
DUNE

*piercing guitar riffs over raging sandstorm and lighting*

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Phi230 posted:

Thats an inversion of the book's morality lol

You're confusing theme for morality. The movie still held characters that characters like Rorschach, Comedian, and Ozymandias were in the wrong. It just had no way of conveying how they were also weak, because Snyder doesn't understand weakness.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can you imagine a Snyder cut of the Sucker Punch? I would throw HBO Max a month of subscription to watch this train wreck.

There is a Snyder cut of Sucker Punch, though. At least, there's an alternate ending (it's 99% the same but John Hamm has a few more lines).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randarkman posted:

What kind of parallel is there to Brexit in STP? Patrick Stewart seems to have been talking about that in interviews, and it was embarassing.

racism I guess? british dolts still think their wretched island is the center of the world I suppose

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Racist Tory chuds are the Romulans; the android robts are the Poland farm workers. Maddox is Corbyn.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Randarkman posted:

What kind of parallel is there to Brexit in STP? Patrick Stewart seems to have been talking about that in interviews, and it was embarassing.

Synthetic lifeforms (synths, sorry) are analogous to Polish plumbers filling the demand that isn't being met by British people I guess. I can't remember Polish plumbers doing a 9/11 to anything though.

Really I think he just wanted to emphasize that the show is edgy and about current events and takes on world issues that are contentious in these trying times we live in, and Brexit was the first off the top of his head. I don't think the show really covers any current issues in any coherent way, I'm not sure the writers really thought about anything in detail enough to create a plot that resembles anything that's actually happening, nor offer any interesting viewpoint on those issues.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

piratepilates posted:

Synthetic lifeforms (synths, sorry) are analogous to Polish plumbers filling the demand that isn't being met by British people I guess. I can't remember Polish plumbers doing a 9/11 to anything though.

Really I think he just wanted to emphasize that the show is edgy and about current events and takes on world issues that are contentious in these trying times we live in, and Brexit was the first off the top of his head. I don't think the show really covers any current issues in any coherent way, I'm not sure the writers really thought about anything in detail enough to create a plot that resembles anything that's actually happening, nor offer any interesting viewpoint on those issues.

Yeah, I think his requests to the writers' room were less "we need to make this show about Brexit" and more "I'm not wearing any uncomfortable polyester uniforms"/"I want to do an episode in an outrageous accent"/"Can we do another dune buggy scene?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

stephenthinkpad posted:

This literally exists and is on Hulu

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

There is a Snyder cut of Sucker Punch, though. At least, there's an alternate ending (it's 99% the same but John Hamm has a few more lines).

There's clearly an entire cut sequence from that movie. They use it over the credits, and it involves Oscar Isaacs doing a nightclub act. It was obviously better than what ended up in the movie, but I think it got cut because it wasn't an over-the-top action scene.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Vim Fuego posted:

Cat buttholes or human buttholes?

Betting my future as a producer that Joe Sixpack will bay $3 to find out.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Tip posted:

I really enjoyed his Dawn of the Dead remake when I saw it like 20 years ago, but I don't know if it holds up.

It does, probably in large part because it was written by James Gunn.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Andrew Verse posted:

It does, probably in large part because it was written by James Gunn.

I always wondered why Dawn of the Dead seemed so much better than the rest of his movies.

I always figured that it was because it was his first film or such and "MY ARTISTIC VISION!!!!" poo poo hadn't got stuck in his head from the success of 300.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Dawn of the Dead remake is special to me because it was one of the first films I realized was filmed in Canada for budgetary reasons. iirc it was filmed north of Toronto, and you can see a couple of blue and white old Ontario plates, not to mention the fast food has the french labels (PFK - poulet frite kentucky).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I feel like people here haven't been talking about Quibi and its failure. Quibi is a failure, has anyone talked about it? It's real bad, quibi bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFePUknSIc

anyway there's also a quibi show about a girl who has a golden prosthetic arm and its slowly poisoning her and she refuses to take off her beautiful golden arm, sam raimi made it.

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250273191810875392?lang=en

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
that looks like a lost episode of tim and eric's bedtime stories

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

that looks like a lost episode of tim and eric's bedtime stories

I think there's another quibi show that's about a girl who falls in love with a sex doll too

edit: the actress is Anna Kendrick, it's uhhhhh based off of Cody Heller and her husband Dan Harmon's relationship after she discovers that he has a sex doll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqQevv-qtwQ

lmao why was this made https://twitter.com/Quibi/status/1259173788735778818

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 21, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Quibi is obviously a "Producers" style scam.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

piratepilates posted:

I feel like people here haven't been talking about Quibi and its failure. Quibi is a failure, has anyone talked about it? It's real bad, quibi bad.

anyway there's also a quibi show about a girl who has a golden prosthetic arm and its slowly poisoning her and she refuses to take off her beautiful golden arm, sam raimi made it.

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250273191810875392?lang=en

lol

Interest level in Quibi rising.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

piratepilates posted:

I think there's another quibi show that's about a girl who falls in love with a sex doll too

edit: the actress is Anna Kendrick, it's uhhhhh based off of Cody Heller and her husband Dan Harmon's relationship after she discovers that he has a sex doll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqQevv-qtwQ

lmao why was this made https://twitter.com/Quibi/status/1259173788735778818

Holy gently caress. That is loving insane.

Somebody in another forum was saying that Quibi's lineup looks like all the fake shows from 30 Rock.

EDIT:

mallratcal posted:

lol

Interest level in Quibi rising.

Agreed. I definitely want to see this stuff, but absolutely will never download Quibi or pay for a subscription. I'm assuming we'll be able to see all this on Hulu or Netflix once Quibi goes bust.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

the weirdest thing about quibi to me is that their whole strategy is "quick bites" (hence the name, even though it's not pronounced like quick bites) that you watch in line or on the subway or blah blah, anywhere that's not at home.

I've taken the subway to work for years now and usually snoop on other peoples phones out of boredom. a lot of them are already watching things on their phone while commuting, they're usually watching netflix or youtube, or foreign shows (arabic, korean, chinese, etc.) that I think they downloaded to their phone. when I used to take a 30+ minute bus ride to work I used to watch some netflix stuff on my phone to pass the time.

their whole key to success is to target the people who are already doing this thing but on other platforms, that they can also watch on their tv, already have expansive libraries, already have successful brands, don't have a dumb name, don't have an unproven platform. the whole thing is such a mediocre idea with a massive amount of money behind it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quibi is 10000% a get rich quick investment scam. I've haven't seen such a blatant attempt since Star Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

piratepilates posted:

This guy has a lot of loving hair.

So this streaming service is designed for phones? How come its not in vertical format?