Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
How viable is it to buy cheaper litter and just dump the whole box twice or three times a week? Harold's litterbox has a nice handle on top and a spiffy latching system and whatnot and to be honest it's easier for me to carrying it the 20 feet to the garbage can than it is to dig through it for his buttnuggets, but I'm a little nervous about the idea of fully cycling it, not to mention if cheaper litter isn't a real option it'd get stupid expensive. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Katt posted:

November

January

March

April

When do you put a cat down "for their own good"? She has a lifetime prescription of Metacam (however many months that is)

Well she's started to grind her teeth. Her gums are looking inflamed with dark spots inside her mouth. Her breath has gone bad very quickly so I assume that the growth is pretty bad on the inside of her mouth.

I've increased her painkiller dose and I'm having her put down on the 25th when I get my paycheck.

Katt fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 17, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cat why are you staring at the ceiling and meowing? What are you trying to tell me?

Edit: We live in an apartment it's probably a neighbor that you've lived around for almost 5 years

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have some tins of tuna and some tins of foie gras just sitting around that I’m never going to eat. Can I feed these to my cats? I know the tuna should be moderated cause of mercury but I have no idea about the foie gras and everything on the label is French so I don’t understand it. I’d otherwise just toss these in the trash (vegetarian) so if my loss can be their gain that’d be great.

I'd keep it to a teaspoon per day of either. Foie gras is just liver, and cats will gladly eat the liver of anything they can, even yours.

The main issue to watch is getting their diet out of balance. As long as their main diet is nutritionally complete, a little something extra as a treat is no problem.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Katt posted:

Well she's started to grind her teeth. Her gums are looking inflamed with dark spots inside her mouth. Her breath has gone bad very quickly so I assume that the growth is pretty bad on the inside of her mouth.

I've increased her painkiller dose and I'm having her put down on the 25th when I get my paycheck.

Jesus, that looks just like my Fitz did over the last few months with his face. Vet said it was a massive tumor, and that, well, we did the right thing.

What pushed me over the edge was when the eye squinted shut just like your April pic (plus massive weight loss, he went from chonk to skin & bones so fast). He was getting spooked from being blind on that side, and kept mis-judging jumping on the bed and poo poo because he lost his depth perception. His quality of life had tanked.

I'm so sorry Katt. :glomp: Please PM me if you need someone to talk to, I'm not gonna say "I know how you feel" because no one ever does, but I've been in the same boat (right down to the "gently caress I know I need to do this but I have to wait until I get some money).

Seriously crying for your kitty rn, I wish and your catte the best.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have some tins of tuna and some tins of foie gras just sitting around that I’m never going to eat. Can I feed these to my cats? I know the tuna should be moderated cause of mercury but I have no idea about the foie gras and everything on the label is French so I don’t understand it. I’d otherwise just toss these in the trash (vegetarian) so if my loss can be their gain that’d be great.

I feed my cat/s a half or more of a can of Tuna all the time as a treat. They love it. Just make sure it's in water and not oil. Not sure about what else is in foie gras besides the meat though.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

My answer to these type of questions is to just ask you to think about what a feral cat would eat in the wild, regardless of whether it could actually catch it or not. For example, foie gras is just goose/duck liver and you can absolutely bet that if a cat caught a duck or goose, it would tear it open and eat the delicious and nutritious internal organs like the liver. Similarly, since cats (at least some of them) love to catch and eat fish, they would also absolutely catch and eat a 1,500 pound bluefin tuna if they could manage it. But as someone else said, try to make sure it's packed in water and not oil, not because the oil is bad for the cat but simply because it would add a whole bunch of calories. If the tuna you have IS packed in oil, you can still give it to the cat as a treat, but maybe try to pat it dry first before serving it to try and get some of the extra oil off the meat.

The issue with both of those foods is that you don't want either of them to be the primary source of food for a cats diet because they wouldn't provide the necessary nutrients.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
One thing I did not anticipate when I first started taking my cat for walks was just how much birds of all sorts would follow and heckle us. Except pigeons, which are just completely oblivious and would have been dinner if I didn't keep a watchful eye on kitty.

Bought some cashews in hopes of making peace with the local crows, but haven't had a chance to make an offering yet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I use specific ceramic bowls for eating tuna which must sound slightly different than the bowls I use to eat other things, because just the sound of me putting one down on the counter is enough for Mel to come sprinting from across the house to meow at me for her share of delicious fish.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've been thinking too much lately about the nature of my cat, Jackie's, affection for me - and how I'll manage to get by when I'm gone.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I truly love my cat. Not in any gross way obviously, but in the sense that she's usually the highlight of my day, anything that makes her happy makes me happy and a present for her is like a present for myself. Jackie has also been the single best, most wholly positive and consistent aspect of my life over the past 10 years. It's difficult to deny that. There's also the fact she seems to truly love me as well, in the sense that I am her One and Only Human. My dad was always "master" to all the pets - including Jackie, at first, since the first 4 years of her life she was technically my dad''s cat. I ended up with her for various reasons.

There's a bit of something mystical that I cannot put my finger on, too. I know that all sorts of silly random coincidences happen with pets where it seems like they're responding directly to something you or someone in the room says or does, like the cat is more aware or intelligent than they appear. Jackie has always had a talent for moments like that, meowing when we talk about her without even using her name. Stuff like that, when we try to trick her it *seems* like she would always be a step ahead of us, but... Probably it was just a coincidence?

I still need to expand my life a bit more so I am less uh... emotionally dependent on my cat @_@.. Coronavirus has not been hugely conducive to going out and meeting new people, shocker...

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 18, 2020

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Its been since Nov Ive had my cat. Today was the first day I actually saw her using the water bowl.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

kaworu posted:

I've been thinking too much lately about the nature of my cat, Jackie's, affection for me - and how I'll manage to get by when I'm gone.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I truly love my cat. Not in any gross way obviously, but in the sense that she's usually the highlight of my day, anything that makes her happy makes me happy and a present for her is like a present for myself. Jackie has also been the single best, most wholly positive and consistent aspect of my life over the past 10 years. It's difficult to deny that. There's also the fact she seems to truly love me as well, in the sense that I am her One and Only Human. My dad was always "master" to all the pets - including Jackie, at first, since the first 4 years of her life she was technically my dad''s cat. I ended up with her for various reasons.

There's a bit of something mystical that I cannot put my finger on, too. I know that all sorts of silly random coincidences happen with pets where it seems like they're responding directly to something you or someone in the room says or does, like the cat is more aware or intelligent than they appear. Jackie has always had a talent for moments like that, meowing when we talk about her without even using her name. Stuff like that, when we try to trick her it *seems* like she would always be a step ahead of us, but... Probably it was just a coincidence?

I still need to expand my life a bit more so I am less uh... emotionally dependent on my cat @_@.. Coronavirus has not been hugely conducive to going out and meeting new people, shocker...

I think about this often. My cat is like 9 years old so I worry about what i will do whenever he dies. He is like a beat friend to me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've had a number of incredibly loving cats that have passed away. It hurts, a lot, and you grieve. And then life moves on and you pass that love to a new cat that needs a loving home.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's always devastating when a good buddy passes but then eventually a new cat just appears on the front step and you end up with a new rear end in a top hat to love.

In lighter cat news, a friend of mine left his phone on the windowsill and an outdoor cat decided that window was his. So my friend's phone now belongs to a stray cat

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

kaworu posted:

Cats being great

I know what you mean. I look at my cat and my heart actually hurts because she's so lovely and sweet and smart and ARGH SO CUTE. Having children must be a fuckin trip.

Made her a hat out of her own hair. Will shedageddon never end?!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I came home from work today and called for rear end in a top hat, looked for rear end in a top hat, sat around the house for about 20 minutes. Fiancees Amazon order came in and I was instructed to see if the storage boxes would fit in the cabinet because she thought they might be too small.

I sat a box down and turned around for 5 seconds

He flipped the box a couple minutes later trying to hunt me from inside it

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

I know what you mean. I look at my cat and my heart actually hurts because she's so lovely and sweet and smart and ARGH SO CUTE. Having children must be a fuckin trip.

Yeah! This is basically sort of what I'm going through, in a way. At least half a dozen times a day, Jackie will come up and sit down right in my lap in this deeply comfortable way - like she's just dropping into a well-worn armchair which already has an impression of her body in it. She immediate starts purring up a storm, and looks up at me on several occasions. If I crane my head down a bit, she'll nuzzle her face/nose against my face/nose briefly, maybe with a little happy chirp breaking the purring for a moment. And she'll just look so incredibly and deeply contended - fat, sleek, happy, prim and fulfilled; Jackie wants for nothing because I care about her, and make sure she always has what she needs. And I have for 9 years now, and that's really powerful for me. Especially since I'm single, 34 years old, and I don't exactly have a massive coterie of friends. I've also just moved to a new place on the west coast for work where I know even less people, really! So that's cool. But the 'new place' I moved to this year is Los Angeles, so if I can't find some place to fit in and make some friends here, then I'm probably totally hopeless! Heh. I hate feeling like such a cliche emotionally under-developed millennial stereotype, too - a single white-as--gently caress queer guy who *appears* to prefer relationships with pets and machines over other people, largely.

Parental feelings are totally tied up in it, too. I grew up as a gay kid thinking I'd never be able to have kids even if I wanted them (which I didn't) and I lived my life accordingly to some degree. I was deeply and violently opposed to the idea, and I felt the same way about having a cat, at first. I was so deeply resistant to the idea, because I had such a low opinion of myself and had no trust that I wouldn't screw it up, or hurt Jackie, or be inadequate, or do something or horrible, or I don't even know... I had no confidence and such a sense of inadequacy about myself that it scared the poo poo out of me.

So, that's why I have a hard time not bursting into tears and sobbing like crazy just about every time I see my gorgeous, happy, sleek, affectionate cat come up and love on me, and go out of her way to nuzzle my nose, look up and squint her eyes at me with a stupid-happy look on her face, purring so loudly you can hear it across the room. I just... can't take it, in a way. It's a lot of complex feelings with a great deal of happy and sad all mixed up. I think there's a part of me that feels like"Oh, it's all Jackie, and it's just that she's exceptional and she'd have turned out like this with anyone", but I think I know that's not entirely true. I think I need to acknowledge that a lot of my affection/love for Jackie absolutely kind of is "misplaced love", that in an alternate universe I might be directing toward my kid(s). But that's OK - that's fine with me. I don't mind being single and having a cat.

Sorry for the long e/n post, guys.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So I have cat allergies and I have them mostly under control, basically I cough a bit more but nothing too extreme. But Im always looking for something to bring that down and I have been suggested this:

Purina Pro Plan LiveClear

https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-liveclear-probiotic/dp/245355

Basically hawks itself as a dietary allerpet for your cat. Has anyone tried this out yet or is this just raw sake oil?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Gaj posted:

So I have cat allergies and I have them mostly under control, basically I cough a bit more but nothing too extreme. But Im always looking for something to bring that down and I have been suggested this:

Purina Pro Plan LiveClear

https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-liveclear-probiotic/dp/245355

Basically hawks itself as a dietary allerpet for your cat. Has anyone tried this out yet or is this just raw sake oil?

This is a very new product. I don't even know much about it. It seems like an interesting concept. Might be worth a try.

Edit more info on how it works:
http://newscenter.purina.com/2020-02-26-Purina-Pro-Plan-Announces-the-First-and-Only-Allergen-Reducing-Cat-Food

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kaworu posted:

I feel this. My ex left around Thanksgiving last year, and I was staying in a hotel room alone for the holiday. I woke up in the middle of the night, disoriented, and had a freakout because I couldn't find my cat.

Once the panic wore off, I realized I never even remotely felt that way about my ex.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My Furminator just came in today and holy loving poo poo there is SO MUCH FUR. I’ve only managed to do 2 short sessions with 1 cat and she only let me brush her back so far and I feel like I have enough fur to make a stuffed animal or three.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Make catgora yarn!

I saved a bunch of my dog’s undercoat to spin into yarn, but her death 1 1/2 years ago is still too soon for me. I thought saving pet fur was some crazy wierdo poo poo until I started making yarn from sheep’s wool. It’s really the same thing, you just know one animal personally.

Anyway, we are off to a farm to “visit” kittens this weekend. There is a 50% chance we come home with kitten(s). It’s exciting!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

After years and years of putting it off i finally got a cat at the beginning of quarantine. Now I can't image living without her. She's the best thing in my life and sometimes I almost break down crying because I love her so much

If anyone out there has been waiting to make the cat leap, go for it. It's the best decision you'll ever make.

An orange gal? Isn’t that exceedingly rare? I love orange kitties, have fond memories of my grandmas kitty named Golder. Glad you’re enjoying your time with your new pal.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

How viable is it to buy cheaper litter and just dump the whole box twice or three times a week? Harold's litterbox has a nice handle on top and a spiffy latching system and whatnot and to be honest it's easier for me to carrying it the 20 feet to the garbage can than it is to dig through it for his buttnuggets, but I'm a little nervous about the idea of fully cycling it, not to mention if cheaper litter isn't a real option it'd get stupid expensive. :ohdear:

This seems really silly and extremely wasteful. Just scoop the poop dude. You’ll survive.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

An orange gal? Isn’t that exceedingly rare? I love orange kitties, have fond memories of my grandmas kitty named Golder. Glad you’re enjoying your time with your new pal.

Orange cats are more likely to be male but it's not unheard of for them to be female.
It's calico/tortoiseshell that is almost exclusively female. Ive seen a male calico once in 5 years of being a vet.
This website is always a fun read:

http://messybeast.com/tricolours.htm

messybeast posted:

She must inherit two O genes to be a ginger cat. If she inherits only one O gene, she will be tortoiseshell. The O gene is called a sex-linked gene because it is carried on a sex chromosome. Tortoiseshell cats are therefore heterozygous (not true-breeding) for red colour

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dixville posted:

Orange cats are more likely to be male but it's not unheard of for them to be female.
It's calico/tortoiseshell that is almost exclusively female. Ive seen a male calico once in 5 years of being a vet.
This website is always a fun read:

http://messybeast.com/tricolours.htm

Aren't male calicos also sterile?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Okay so this is not sponsored content or anything but man this is my new favorite cat water fountain, it's just perfect

big reservoir, pump that's stupid quiet, the ability to clean it without having to unplug everything from the wall, and backup batteries in case your power goes out

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Buff Hardback posted:

Okay so this is not sponsored content or anything but man this is my new favorite cat water fountain, it's just perfect

big reservoir, pump that's stupid quiet, the ability to clean it without having to unplug everything from the wall, and backup batteries in case your power goes out

Ohh, nice. I finally pulled the trigger on this one recently, it's being shipped from china though so it'll probably get here next month.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Ohh, nice. I finally pulled the trigger on this one recently, it's being shipped from china though so it'll probably get here next month.

Oh you got it from petkit.com or whatever?

My one piece of advice is make sure you use a real 5v USB power brick. I was using this to replace my Catit stainless fountain which uses a USB brick but a non-standard voltage. I forgot it wasn't standard voltage, and the pump would turn on for a few seconds and then stop and blink a complain light.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My cat loves Da Bird toy (especially the mouse attachment one) but holy hell these things are fragile and the strings break so easy. Is there a beefy version of that toy that I could actually get more than a month’s worth of use out of?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone walk their cats? I wanted to try to get Motor used to a harnass so I gave him a bunch of treats before and after I put it on but now he's just rolling on the floor like a doof trying to get the thing off. I was going to leave it on him for a half hour today and do longer for the next few days until he gets used to it. Is that reasonable?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Yeah that sounds pretty reasonable. Try to make going outside a thing that requires the harness so it is strongly associated.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

taqueso posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty reasonable. Try to make going outside a thing that requires the harness so it is strongly associated.

The other related thing: whenever you get around to letting the cat go outside, carry them out rather than letting them walk themselves out on the harness. Keeps them from getting in the habit of running out the door.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

She’s my special recessive baby.

She has a case of Psychogenic alopecia that apparently predates the shelter. I’ve always been drawn to women riddled with mental illnesses so I’m not surprised me and little Dolores have bonded so quickly. Dunno what her history is so I’m hoping that being in a loving home chills her out and reduces the compulsive grooming

Better view of one of her bald spots:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hi guys, I just brought home a new kitten today and I need some reassurance / advice.
It's a 12 week old female norwegian cat from a breeder, where she lived with her mom, another female adult cat and a human family. She looks fluffy and healthy.

1) I seem to be a bit allergic, it's not too bad but my eyes get kind of itchy and my nose swells up a bit. I've lived with cats before, and never noticed anything. Could it be the specific cat? Or is my immune system a bit oversensitive because it's pollen season? Will it get better with time?

2) The cat is super needy. We spent most of the day chilling in the living room where we had confined the cat, and she did normal cat things, sometimes playing or cuddling with us and sometimes hiding a bit. When we left the room she started meowing pitifully until my partner let her out -- after about ten minutes. Then she wanted to spend the whole time sitting on my lap and following me around. She would purr when I came near her and sometimes she went away and meowed until I followed her. I could barely stop her from following me into the bedroom. Is this normal? How can I get the cat to be more comfortable alone, while still liking me?

3) When she was sleeping on my lap she was breathing really quickly. I put her on the floor where she immediately fell asleep again and there she was breathing at a rate I'd expect from a kitten. Is this a psychological thing? She was also breathing and panting very quickly while she was in the transport box in the car, but that was probably just nervousness.

4) I don't think she has used the toilet, although she went and sat in it a few times. How long until I need to worry? She did eat and drink.

I honestly can't tell if I'm a bad cat owner ignoring big red warning signs, or if this is all normal. So I'm asking the internet for help.

E: this cat is also an orange female!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You're fine, you've only had her a day and she's confused and settling in. Some cats are just super needy but she will probably get less needy as she settles in, right now she's just been taken from everything she knows.

Also omg post pictures of the fluffy kitten!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Regarding breathing, keep in mind a cats breathing and heart rate are naturally higher than a humans

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Anyone walk their cats? I wanted to try to get Motor used to a harnass so I gave him a bunch of treats before and after I put it on but now he's just rolling on the floor like a doof trying to get the thing off. I was going to leave it on him for a half hour today and do longer for the next few days until he gets used to it. Is that reasonable?

My cat wanted nothing to do with his harness until I left it in his sleeping spot for two weeks and let him get his scent all over it. Then he was totally fine with it. Beware though, if your cat is anything like my cat he will raise holy hell about going outside after getting a taste.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

You're fine, you've only had her a day and she's confused and settling in. Some cats are just super needy but she will probably get less needy as she settles in, right now she's just been taken from everything she knows.

Also omg post pictures of the fluffy kitten!

Moly, a triptych:

I do think I'm a bit allergic to her, I was wearing a face mask when we visited and bought her so I didn't realize it then. I'll try to get it under control with teas and stuff, let's see how it works out.

She's still a bit needy but has calmed down compared to yesterday.

taqueso posted:

Regarding breathing, keep in mind a cats breathing and heart rate are naturally higher than a humans

She sometimes breathes really quickly and kind of pulsates, like the cat in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfejdoBxk2I. At other times it's slower. I'm undecided between "this is totally normal" and "this cat is deathly ill". Otherwise she seems healthy and reasonably energetic.

Edit: I called the breeder and she says it's normal for kittens to be like that, and the cat has been examined by a vet last week. So I guess it's fine.

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are cats dumb enough to play with fire from a gas stovetop or try to touch hot pots and pans? I’ve given up teaching Ruthie she’s not allowed up on the counters cause it wasn’t working so I just ignore her unless I’m cooking. I don’t leave the stove unattended but I don’t know if she’ll want to play with the pot I just boiled water in.