Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
so I'm glad we've come to the conclusion that vettels pretty cool......

now who wants to visit my island in animal crossing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

He has 4 more world championships than the vast majority of the grid and he took them in an era where Red Bull were not as insanely dominant as Mercedes have been and the sharp end talent was far more diverse. Don't get me wrong, the Vettelreich was boring at a macro level, but the race-to-race outcomes were nowhere near as loving dull as the Mercedes domination era has been, bar 2016.

This is Liberty's Eddie Hearn moment imo.
There were more different podium finishers in 2012 alone, than in the whole of the V6 hybrid era.

People who don't want to see Vettel & Lewis in the same car, are secretly TERRIFIED they're going to see Lewis meltdown and be beaten.
Like if you're so sure it's a disaster for Vettel you should support the move 100%.

Lotta terrified lewis fans ITT.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vettel won four world titles due to the stunning skill of having better one lap pace than Mark Webber. I'm not really worried about him beating Hamilton, nor would I be particularly upset about a less predictable season. Unfortunately he sucks and wouldn't beat Hamilton.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
My guess is that Vettel would likely outqualify Hamilton but the fall apart in the races and lose over the season. The red bull during the years he won was really geared around running at the front which I think played to his advantages and having a lame duck teammate left him pretty unchallenged.

F1’s emphasis on aero really hurts any car that isn’t the outright fastest and in this regard and the failure to address it led to Vettel winning four titles, something to consider.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I also think there’s zero chance of Vettel going to Mercedes unless Hamilton is like right on the brink of retirement.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

There were more different podium finishers in 2012 alone, than in the whole of the V6 hybrid era.

People who don't want to see Vettel & Lewis in the same car, are secretly TERRIFIED they're going to see Lewis meltdown and be beaten.
Like if you're so sure it's a disaster for Vettel you should support the move 100%.

Lotta terrified lewis fans ITT.

I’d love to see it but there is zero chance that Vettel accepts a role as a second driver. It’s simply not going to happen. I guess we’ll never know if Vettel, a man more noted for melting down under pressure than winning in the past 6 years, somehow is actually still a top driver.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Aldi Australia are about to have a sale on Cast Iron cookware for less than $27 each. They've got cast iron Dutch ovens, frying pans, French pans, iron griddles, saucepans, mini casserole and baking dishes.

Thought that was interesting because its the combination of 2 things that this thread loves to bicker over, Aldi & Cast Iron cookware.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Vettel Mercedes would be hounded every race by Verstappen and Leclerc. Hamilton would win every race and second would be Sainz and i dont know...Checo Perez.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NtotheTC posted:

Are you kidding? Vettel doesn't get nearly enough poo poo for being as bad as he is. Case in point: people apparently rate him over Bottas. Just lmao. Vettel has beaten an old, decrepit australian man and an old, decrepit finnish man. That's it. Every other competition he's had he's lost.

Oh and Bourdais who is apparently classed as a racing driver? quaint.

He never beat Are Kimi in the far more important stakes of being a roflmao legernd who wants ice cream and also to take a poo poo.

How many times has Seb said bwoah? Game set and match Kimi I think.

Ahahah I'm doing a big hearty lol just thinking about him saying that he knows what he is doing and needs to take a poo poo. He's so loving random I love him.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
well kimi is the last wdc for ferrari and until spa 2019 was their last race winner so yeah the guys a legend

#bwoah

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Custard Undies posted:

Thought that was interesting because its the combination of 2 things that this thread loves to bicker over, Aldi & Cast Iron cookware.

This thread will bicker over anything.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i wont bicker about anything

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Plus, Kimi would have to be top 3 of the 9 Finnish drivers who have raced in F1.

There has been at least 1 Finnish driver on the F1 grid every year since 1989.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Kimi was a better racer than Mika but Mika was the better pro

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

There is not one sane person that genuinely believes Vettel would be a threat at Mercedes. There are only Worst Thread Contrarians and Reddit

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

There is not one sane person that genuinely believes Vettel would be a threat at Mercedes. There are only Worst Thread Contrarians and Reddit

It’s well established from your posting history that you’re mentally unhinged, so which one are you?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the corona quid posted:

It’s well established from your posting history that you’re mentally unhinged, so which one are you?

It wasn't an inclusive-or? I can be mentally unhinged but neither of those options as I firmly believe Vettel should go to Mercedes to piss away the last scraps of reputation he has left.

Imagine trying to take the ridged-brain highground by planting your flag on Mt Vettel

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
So Bottas to Renault then?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
supposedly they got a pre agreement with alonso

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pragmatica posted:

So Bottas to Renault then?

Why would Mercedes want Big Valtteri to go anywhere? He’s the perfect #2. Mercedes won’t bring in anyone as a potential #1 driver until Lewis is ready to retire soon. No sense in upsetting the great team dynamic they have

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Zeta Acosta posted:

supposedly they got a pre agreement with alonso

Oh right! YES!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Why would Mercedes want Big Valtteri to go anywhere? He’s the perfect #2. Mercedes won’t bring in anyone as a potential #1 driver until Lewis is ready to retire soon. No sense in upsetting the great team dynamic they have
The full extent of the "rumour" is liberty themselves are meddling and don't want another 2 seasons of Hamilton winning the championship (in all practicality, if not mathematically) by the mid-season break. Which, is pretty much certain to happen and we all know it.
In 2016 they could at least push the "war of the silver arrows" and people were more engaged with that season and outcome than at any other time in the era.

Though there was some "it's still a merc winning everything" and a lot of "but its not a RED car winning, arghghg!!" there were no team orders in play and it did genuinely feel it could go either way, and Lewis might lose! Which, he did.

Liberty will absolutely want to replicate that in lieu of any significant changes to the car pecking-orders now delayed another season.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Big Sharl will do a better job of challenging Lewis, with what should be the full backing of Ferrari.

Doesn't mean he will win, but he won't do a Seb.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Bottas is a great #2 who doesnt rock the boat and surely has a much smaller salary. Vettel wouldn't agree to be a #2, would cost too much, and doesn't deliver
Lewis Valtteri is the ideal Mercedes team. And Toto is the greatest team principal so he knows this and will not change the lineup. #forzatoto

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Custard Undies posted:

Aldi Australia are about to have a sale on Cast Iron cookware for less than $27 each. They've got cast iron Dutch ovens, frying pans, French pans, iron griddles, saucepans, mini casserole and baking dishes.

Aldi loving sucks. It's all about the Lidl supremacy. They have a sale on non-stick cookware today.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Khablam posted:

The full extent of the "rumour" is liberty themselves are meddling and don't want another 2 seasons of Hamilton winning the championship (in all practicality, if not mathematically) by the mid-season break. Which, is pretty much certain to happen and we all know it.
In 2016 they could at least push the "war of the silver arrows" and people were more engaged with that season and outcome than at any other time in the era.

Though there was some "it's still a merc winning everything" and a lot of "but its not a RED car winning, arghghg!!" there were no team orders in play and it did genuinely feel it could go either way, and Lewis might lose! Which, he did.

Liberty will absolutely want to replicate that in lieu of any significant changes to the car pecking-orders now delayed another season.

Yes, there were no team orders in 2016 wink wink, absolutely no funny business other than the massive conspiracy between Niki Lauda, the FIA and the EU which sabotaged Lewis' car repeatedly and gave Rosberg no penalties for a crashing rap sheet that would have gotten Maldonado thrown in jail.

2016 was punishment for the Brexit referendum, don't be surprised if it happens again but much worse now that we actually went through with it.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

poty posted:

2016 was punishment for the Brexit referendum, don't be surprised if it happens again but much worse now that we actually went through with it.

personally excited for when mclaren aren't allowed in to any of the continental races after they have the merc engine

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poty posted:

Yes, there were no team orders in 2016 wink wink, absolutely no funny business other than the massive conspiracy between Niki Lauda, the FIA and the EU which sabotaged Lewis' car repeatedly and gave Rosberg no penalties for a crashing rap sheet that would have gotten Maldonado thrown in jail.

Hey, you leave Are Niki out of this. He was a good lad who meant well and was mates with Lewis, I'm sure he was as pissed off as we were about the EU-FIA shenanigans to hand the WDC to an undeserving Germo-Mongoose fraud.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It doesn't matter if Vettel was any good in the Neweymobile years ago. In the present day Vettel is completely done and not worth the wages he will demand.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

Hey, you leave Are Niki out of this. He was a good lad who meant well and was mates with Lewis, I'm sure he was as pissed off as we were about the EU-FIA shenanigans to hand the WDC to an undeserving Germo-Mongoose fraud.

The only blessing about Lewis retiring will be his book and finding out what it was that Rosberg did that burned all his bridges at Mercedes.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

NtotheTC posted:

The only blessing about Lewis retiring will be his book and finding out what it was that Rosberg did that burned all his bridges at Mercedes.

Lol you think Hamilton is literate.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Carth Dookie posted:

Lol you think Hamilton is literate.

I'd love to know why you think he isn't

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11990530/jean-todt-exclusive-fia-president-on-how-motorsport-plans-to-restart posted:

Jean Todt exclusive: FIA president on how motorsport plans to restart

Formula 1's governing body has learned from the season's aborted opening event, so that Austria, unlike Australia, would go ahead even amid positive COVID-19 tests.

(...)

"We want to make sure that arriving to the first event on the 2020 calendar, we don't face another unpredictable situation and we have experts working on that."

F1 plans to create a COVID-free "biosphere" at events, with mandatory tests before departure, charter flights for all attendees and the avoidance of contact between teams once at the circuit.

Yet if risk of infection can be reduced it can hardly be eliminated. A single positive test, from in excess of 20 conducted, was enough to stop the season opener.

Has Professor Saillant drawn red lines, beyond which, continuing would be out of the question?

"I think the situation is quite different between Melbourne and Austria now," said Saillant. "The knowledge of the virus is quite different. It is possible to prevent and to anticipate a lot of things. If we have one positive case, or maybe even 10, it is possible to manage perfectly with a special pathway for the positive case. Medically speaking, it is not a problem and whether it is a marshal or Hamilton, it is the same, medically speaking.

"But in terms of the sporting or media consequence it is quite different. We have to try to anticipate that, to know where the red line is, beyond which, it is impossible to continue. But I think it is not a problem for us now."

Wow, looks like the plan is to give Lewis Covid before every race, and then run that race without him. A total sham!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

Oooh, I think I can guess this one.

Smdh.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The drivers will be in full racing gear with helmet. They communicate by radio and nobody in the pits needs to get nearer than 1m to them during stops. Obviously a driver having covid isn't a problem.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
are there any drivers left who aren't frauds?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Vando posted:

are there any drivers left who aren't frauds?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tsaedje posted:

I was being hyperbolic. I'm sure he can read, it's just he's so one dimensional I have a hard time picturing him sitting down to read a book.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

I was being hyperbolic. I'm sure he can read, it's just he's so one dimensional I have a hard time picturing him sitting down to read a book.

Your racism is showing.

Khablam posted:

Why would Mercedes give two shits what Liberty wants, especially if it’s to break up a great partnership? They’re there to win, not pander to Liberty wanting more drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Carth Dookie posted:

The guy literally has the title of his favourite poem on his helmet

And picking the guy who's heavily into fashion and music as 'one dimensional' is a bit suspect, while we're at it