Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Max posted:

Do not watch Island of the Idols. Read a summary of it.

It had a promising pre-merge section, but everything after the merge is completely tainted by Dan and how the producers handled the entire situation.

I have a hard time deciding which show is my favorite but this is definitely my least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, post merge that season is simply not, like, Survivor anymore and all the people worth rooting for a voted out in really crappy ways. I was shocked that there would be a season as bad as Thailand but here we are.

The producers objectively failed at protecting the cast and put the players in a position of having to remove a sex pest via tribal, which inherently they have no real incentive to do game wise since it will weaken their position in the game by doing so. It never should have been a decision for the players to make to begin with.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jesus, now I'm actually remembering what happened and HOW it happened. Like that everyone became aware of what Dan was doing and instead they blamed the women and gaslit them into liars and troublemakers. And gently caress... I'm remembering why people who have devoted their lives to following Survivor straight up quit the show mid season.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

OK so in order to wash my brain of season 39, I'm going to post my favorite little bit of history that I noticed a while back and is fun to point out.

Season 2 of survivor has a really great fight that ends with one of my favorite combacks on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2X6gfvYUw8&t=42s

The finger wag line is one of my favorite quick comebacks. I love how she just comes up with it.

Years later, Jeremy correctly plays his idol and saves himself in a historic moment on the show where no one received any valid votes. Kimmi, who just betrayed him, picks up the urn to go start the revote. And then Alicia reaches through time and space and possesses Jeremy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7yZLRtYrA&t=56s

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

IcePhoenix posted:

She was voted out at like six.

It was Tommy

holy poo poo i cannot remember who this is. i guess that makes sense considering i stopped watching that season.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Adus posted:

holy poo poo i cannot remember who this is. i guess that makes sense considering i stopped watching that season.

I think the editors actively hid him from a lot of the drama because he was the winner, so you end up with someone who was social and in the majority, which makes for really boring television.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
where did that clip come from with the "loving" not bleeped out or anything?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Khanstant posted:

where did that clip come from with the "loving" not bleeped out or anything?

DVD.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Max posted:

OK so in order to wash my brain of season 39, I'm going to post my favorite little bit of history that I noticed a while back and is fun to point out.

Season 2 of survivor has a really great fight that ends with one of my favorite combacks on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2X6gfvYUw8&t=42s

The finger wag line is one of my favorite quick comebacks. I love how she just comes up with it.

Years later, Jeremy correctly plays his idol and saves himself in a historic moment on the show where no one received any valid votes. Kimmi, who just betrayed him, picks up the urn to go start the revote. And then Alicia reaches through time and space and possesses Jeremy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7yZLRtYrA&t=56s

Lmao, I'd forgotten that, what a great moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jeremy skipping to the revote floored me. I love that guy.

This did inspire me to dig up the S39 thread and read back over some of my posts and refresh myself on the season. And most of what I remembered was loving terrible and I know why I forgot it, but one thing I totally forgot was how Missy tried to blindside someone, got found out and voted out, and then even after the votes were read was SHOCKED that the guy she had voted for voted for and claimed she didn't vote for him.

They were assholes but they were sometimes hilariously stupid assholes.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Karishma snapping and no longer wanting to be Missy's punching bag was good, as was Noura needling everyone about who she would send to make fire at F4.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm now remembering the journey of "Man, they all really hate Karishima. She must be really annoying to live with." to "Holy gently caress they're all such loving assholes, I can't wait for Karishima to stick it to them."

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Noura was a delight in an otherwise irredeemable season

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm now remembering the journey of "Man, they all really hate Karishima. She must be really annoying to live with." to "Holy gently caress they're all such loving assholes, I can't wait for Karishima to stick it to them."

If nothing else, spite is the best motivator.

It's actually kinda bizarre that of the three people that got the most blowout from the Dan situation (Aaron, Missy, Elizabeth), the guy got off with the best image. I remember Aaron having a really sincere apology at the time, while Missy tried to pass it off as a big game move and Elizabeth quietly tried to slip into the shadows.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Stokes posted:

That's 2016. 2017 is the I'M SORRY ANNELISE... season. Spoiled in case the guy hasn't gotten that far yet.

i just got to this part and completely cracked up. this has been such a tremendous cast. i was surprised at one particular early boot here, but its a fun ride still.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

I'm watchin 2017 aussie survivor and I honestly love this cast. I think a big part of it is the longer episodes lending to us getting to know them better.
Which season of aussia survivor is that online? I want to google/wikipedia it but doing that to ANY survivor season spoilers the winner 100% of the time straight away.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Karishma fuckin sucked though

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This might be a weird take (and I'm not trying to make it in some sort of "well actually -this- was the main lovely thing about the season we should bemoan" fashion), but IOTI actually had a fairly promising collection of competent players (Tommy, Molly, Lauren, Jason, Jack), interesting characters (Noura, Vince) or both (Kellee, Elaine, Jamal, Janet). Instead, most were either culled by the lovely people, or themselves became lovely (though I won't disagree with anybody who says that some were lovely to begin with) as the season's awful shitfuck bad juju vortex gained force, which made the overall experience even more disappointing (in addition to disgusting).

It actually may have been a pretty decent season if Dan hadn't been casted.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 21, 2020

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, Karishma survived multiple attempts to vote her out and orchestrated a blindside against someone who was actively using her as a goat. She did well despite a lot of her setbacks.

Vernacular posted:

This might be a weird take (and I'm not trying to make it in some sort of "well actually -this- was the main lovely thing about the season we should bemoan" fashion), but IOTI actually had a fairly promising collection of competent players (Tommy, Molly, Lauren, Jason, Jack), interesting characters (Noura, Vince) or both (Kellee, Elaine, Jamal, Janet). Instead, a good chunk of these people were axed early by the lovely people, or themselves became lovely (though I won't disagree with anybody who says that some were lovely to begin with) as the season's awful shitfuck bad juju vortex gained force, which made the overall experience even more disappointing (in addition to disgusting).

It actually may have been a pretty decent season if Dan hadn't been casted.

I do agree with this, and I sort of think the big assholes in the game would have not held as much power for so long without Dan as an extra vote, had he not been there. But the one two punch of Kellee and Jamal being voted out back to back and leaving Janet all alone sent that season into a total nosedive that it had no hope of pulling up from.

Max fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 21, 2020

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm still legitimately curious why the S39 cast were constantly drumming the "don't sleep on 39!" mantra in the lead up. Like, were they serious about that? It's unquestionably bottom tier and possibly the worst season in the history of the show, and it's not like it was edited to be that way.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Maybe some marketing clause in their contracts about their social media presence.

Also, I think quite a few of them didn't realize how bad it was going to be, since none of them had been privy to Kellee's confessional where she laid out just how uncomfortable everything had been.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea Karishma was fine, if a bad socializer. It was just a bad season. The last couple were pretty bad, I had to look up season 38, I don’t remember a thing from that season other than “Wardog” being very bad at challenges.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Y'all are really making me want to watch this shitshow.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sand Monster posted:

I'm still legitimately curious why the S39 cast were constantly drumming the "don't sleep on 39!" mantra in the lead up. Like, were they serious about that? It's unquestionably bottom tier and possibly the worst season in the history of the show, and it's not like it was edited to be that way.

I think it's probably partially contract related and also from how they quickly turned off their social medias and stopped during the season, I think a majority of the cast was completely unaware about how bad Dan was during the season... Like a good portion of the cast probably thought it was going to be a good season, because 39 probably could be an okay season if there was no touchy Dan.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

clown shoes posted:

The only really awful thing is the sex harassment poo poo becoming gameplay

But it's REALLY awful

The title gimmick is just so bad and useless it's actually hilarious

Max
Nov 30, 2002

clown shoes posted:

Our posting about it is more entertaining than the actual product, it's not in any way interesting to watch. Like I said, you'll get more out of reading about it.

There is a world where Dean didn't win a literal coin flip and nullify Janet's idol, and she went on to win and maybe pull the season up to the level of something like Worlds Apart.

Max fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 21, 2020

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Does anyone know anything about a game called Sequester? Apparently a bunch of former Survivor players will be playing it this weekend: https://insidesurvivor.com/former-survivor-players-to-compete-on-sequester-44021

No clue if this is worth tuning in for or not. I hadn't even heard of it until this story popped up on my news feed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wow that's a really good cast. Basically the background is Audrey from Big Brother used to do a lot of online reality games, and after she got on Big Brother (where she tried to mastermind early and then melted down spectacularly) she used her increased exposure to ramp up her games, go bigger casting and bigger "budget," so it's like an Awful Survivor except with production values and video and stuff. I think. That's all from my peripheral awareness of it happening, I've never actually checked it out.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah that looks good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ugh why does it have to be during DoN :(

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Bloop posted:

The only really awful thing is the sex harassment poo poo becoming gameplay

But it's REALLY awful

Yeah the "Tonight on Survivor a Very Special two hour sexual harassment episode" ep is genuinely one of the most uncomfortable TV watching experiences I've had. I was, idk, Important and I'm glad that they chose to do something like that out of all the options they had available, but it loving sucked to sit through.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oopsie rock posted:

Does anyone know anything about a game called Sequester? Apparently a bunch of former Survivor players will be playing it this weekend: https://insidesurvivor.com/former-survivor-players-to-compete-on-sequester-44021

No clue if this is worth tuning in for or not. I hadn't even heard of it until this story popped up on my news feed.

finally the Ice Cream Scooper vs Detective Dean clash of titans i've been waiting for

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
can erik manage to go out at 5th place a third time? will there be virtual rice for j'tia to dump in the virtual fire? will johnny fairplay be as insufferable as always?

we can only find out.

except that last thing. because the answer is yes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's a one night thing apparently, but that's a lot of interesting players packed into one night of content.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I hope Abi and J’Tia run that game :eyepop:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t remember a thing from that season other than “Wardog” being very bad at challenges.
Actually he is tanking and will turn it around anytime now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

ugh why does it have to be during DoN :(

What is DoN?

oopsie rock posted:

Jonny Fairplay, Karishma, and Devens is a trio I hope wind up on the same tribe.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

What is DoN?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Wow that's a really good cast. Basically the background is Audrey from Big Brother used to do a lot of online reality games, and after she got on Big Brother (where she tried to mastermind early and then melted down spectacularly) she used her increased exposure to ramp up her games, go bigger casting and bigger "budget," so it's like an Awful Survivor except with production values and video and stuff. I think. That's all from my peripheral awareness of it happening, I've never actually checked it out.

Thanks for the rundown! Seems like it could be an interesting diversion, if nothing else. I really want to check it out but I don't know if the timing will work for me to watch it live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

there's like five belts in that picture! who is the one who actually has it right now, buncha posers