Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked when Anthony Jeselnik went on Joe Rogan and said he’s seen Seinfeld live twice: once when he did a full hour of nebishy Oy Vey! humor for the room of mostly NYC media people and entertainment people and he said it was the worst set he’s ever seen, and then he saw him at big comedy festival and he was absolutely slaughtering.

I know Seinfeld has good jokes left, but he’s very far past the point of being able to accept any level of criticism.

Plus the whole “I was picking my girlfriend up from High School” thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Whitmer Thomas' The Golden One on HBO is an early contender for best special of the year. Really dark, really funny, really touching. It felt like the antithesis of Jenny Slate's most recent special. I love Slate, but her special intercut stand-up with video she shot of her visiting her upper class family in MA and it was just like... who cares?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSNoMf_Sj0Q

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Watched Pete Davidson's special that went up on Netflix last night. Had some really good moments and a few "meh, whatever" spots. I generally like him and his standup, so I'd hoped for me, but I'm not gonna complain about a surprise hour of comedy.

Also caught Michelle Wolfe last week. She was working off notes (fine by me) and you could tell which jokes were still being tweaked, but it was a drat fun show. Excited to see them if/when they make the next special.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

superjew posted:

I manually waded through this thread on my phone to see if anyone mentioned Pete Holmes and I can’t believe it took this long, thank you. His jokes are rewatchably hilarious and his podcast is one of the better comedian podcasts. His podcast and book were a gateway to a very healing spiritual journey after over a decade of grief for me, but also I remember him from a Premium Blend where he did a joke about resting hands on hips like someone pregnant and I never would’ve guessed.

I saw Mulaney in Atlanta in his last tour and I could barely get enough breaths in between chunks to survive. In hindsight he might’ve just killed on the first joke and hypoxia took care of the rest.

I also got to see Emo Philips, who tours often and I highly recommend seeing live.

I'm replying to a months old post here so you might never read this but:

As much as I like Pete Holmes podcast I can't make heads or tails out of his spiritual/religious beliefs. He starts talking about infinite wisdom and mindfulness and I'm just lost. I have no frame of reference for this stuff.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sponges posted:

As much as I like Pete Holmes podcast I can't make heads or tails out of his spiritual/religious beliefs. He starts talking about infinite wisdom and mindfulness and I'm just lost. I have no frame of reference for this stuff.

He's just super New Age-y. It's gotten to a level that I starting to find annoying, tbh. Him bringing his New Age bullshit has become a tic, like Maron spending half an episode talking about his issues with a guest because fourteen years ago they talked on the phone and Maron said goodbye but the guest didn't really say goodbye back in a way he felt was respectful.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 24, 2020

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

sponges posted:

I recommend his book to understand him better. There are a few stories that he saved for it that paint a more complete picture of his journey. The Power of Now is also in that spiritual field. I just listened to the Be Here Now talks by Ram Dass and it’s enlightening but it’s missing a lot of context that if you didn’t know about RD or at the very least listen to Pete regurgitate his teachings then I don’t know what you’d think.

I find it annoying when he’s manic and incessantly interrupts guests, especially rare/interesting ones. My wife hates it too but she loves listening to Dax Shepard so to each his own.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Pete Holmes' religion is screaming

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I know what you guys mean. Some times I find it interesting and other times slightly annoying. I think it just depends what mood you are in.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I dunno but just wanna say his second episode w Harris Wittels is an all-timer for me. Just listened to it again this week. It helped me pull up from my nosedive back in the day.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

I dunno but just wanna say his second episode w Harris Wittels is an all-timer for me. Just listened to it again this week. It helped me pull up from my nosedive back in the day.

When he is on form he is brilliant.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
“Mean Pete” versus Blake Griffin (with help from Neal Brennan) at Roast Battle wasn’t televised, but may have been one of the best roast battles ever.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I remember seeing a clip from ages ago where pete had told the crowd not to react to this other comedians jokes. Everyone plays along and the poor guy completely bombs. All you can hear is pete's really stupid laugh from the wings. It's very funny.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've recently watched some good stand-up specials on Amazon Prime:

I mentioned him back in February, but Tom Papa has two specials that are included with Prime, Live in New York City and Freaked Out, and a third, Human Mule, that is $2.99 to rent. He's so funny in an understated way, kind of like a smarter, more world-weary, and more cynical Jim Gaffigan. Netflix also has Live in New York City and his newest special, You're Doing Great.

Rob Delaney: Jackie -- Goons may know him best as Peter, the guy with no powers from Deadpool 2, but he also has a very funny and occasionally heartbreaking Amazon Prime series called Catastrophe, with Sharon Horgan and the late Carrie Fisher. Really enjoyed this special, and he's a good Twitter follow too.

Zoë Coombs Marr: Bossy Bottom -- she's Australian, so it helped immensely to watch with the subtitles on, but it was a really hilarious, clever, and ambitious special from a comic I've never heard of before. Very well-written and conceptualized, with lots of big payoffs for patience and paying attention.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Christopher TItus is trending on Twitter and I don't really know why. What's his beef with Terrence K. Williams?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Star Man posted:

Christopher TItus is trending on Twitter and I don't really know why. What's his beef with Terrence K. Williams?

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1258267381354295297

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Williams is a trumpstan and Titus is a relatively sane human

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's been more amusing looking at all the tweets asking who Titus even is. I have the DVD sets of his sitcom and four of his comedy albums, but is he really that obscure? His show is older than 9/11, so I suppose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Star Man posted:

It's been more amusing looking at all the tweets asking who Titus even is. I have the DVD sets of his sitcom and four of his comedy albums, but is he really that obscure? His show is older than 9/11, so I suppose.

He's not exactly a super known guy, yea. He's someone who I think most people 'into standup' at least know of but just randos on twitter nah he's not like majorly known these days.

He is, however, way more known than Terrence 'I assume the only reason I'm not getting fifty netflix specials is because they're anti trump real racists' Williams

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
If Pete Davidson's spirituality bugs you, definitely stay away from Duncan Trussel's podcast.

It's one of my favorites.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Doug Stanhope's new special is out today

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/thedyingofalastbreed?fbclid=IwAR3nh_agfeVxfurF8dqfAwF95v8LWwiVLUS475179_RzdZpx0tvcc3vKQ4s

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

skeletronics posted:

If Pete Davidson's spirituality bugs you, definitely stay away from Duncan Trussel's podcast.

It's one of my favorites.

I'm guessing you mean Pete Holmes unless Pete Davidson started a Church of Juul & Bad Tattoos.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Please, it's Firefighter Church, at least that's what his new movie looks like.

But yea, Holmes is mr weird spiritual dude who likes to naval gaze.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I love Pete Holmes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Laterite posted:

I love Pete Holmes

I don't care how weird he is, his Batman videos on College humor are still hilarious every time I watch them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Laterite posted:

I love Pete Holmes

oh Holmes is fantastic, he's just a weird dude!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I don't find him that weird?? He talks about ram dass and spirituality but that's kinda normal for white american dudes who are comedians with podcasts right?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

I don't find him that weird?? He talks about ram dass and spirituality but that's kinda normal for white american dudes who are comedians with podcasts right?

That's totally fair. I suppose it's just weird for me. I can't even remember the last time I talked about religion or even heard anyone else discussing it in real life.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

He's in a league of his own when it comes to being New Agey among the podcasts *I* listen to, but I guess there has to be enough comedians that you could listen to just the super New Agey ones. Russell Brand is now a Youtube guru, right? And this Trussell guy, I guess.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Patton Oswalt's new Netflix special came out on Tuesday, and it's one of his all-time best. I took my wife to see him do this show on February 29th (not the actual taping, just the same set on the same tour), and I'll always remember the date because it was our last night out doing something fun pre-pandemic.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was just listening to pete and neal brennan. I love the observation that there are no female jnrs.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Jippa posted:

I was just listening to pete and neal brennan. I love the observation that there are no female jnrs.

That was good. My heart went out to Neal when he talked about not having a comedy class, I've heard so many comedians talk about coming up together and it's such a different story.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Patton Oswalt's new Netflix special came out on Tuesday, and it's one of his all-time best. I took my wife to see him do this show on February 29th (not the actual taping, just the same set on the same tour), and I'll always remember the date because it was our last night out doing something fun pre-pandemic.

I watched it last night and it was great. His bit about Denny's was amazing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jippa posted:

Great episode (and the first YMIW I've listened to prob 6mo). How Neal Feel is one of the few podcasts that I like enough to randomly re-listen to old episodes.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

XIII posted:

Great episode (and the first YMIW I've listened to prob 6mo). How Neal Feel is one of the few podcasts that I like enough to randomly re-listen to old episodes.

I'll check it out, any episode recommendations?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jippa posted:

I'll check it out, any episode recommendations?

Nah, they're mostly about current events, race, and listener emails, so I'd say skim the episode notes for something that interests you and then go from there. Neal can definitely suffer from a case of "no, no, my opinion is always the most correct one," but I still enjoy his take on most things, even when I might not fully agree. His co-host, Bianca, is a waitress at the Comedy Store and helps ground Neal (as much as she can)

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

The Lucas Brothers wrote an article for Vulture in response to the protests and it’s a good read.

https://www.vulture.com/amp/article/our-brother-kaizen.html

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://youtu.be/3tR6mKcBbT4

New Chapelle

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

omg that Chris Dorner bit

e: great set, powerful ending

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 12, 2020

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That was great. I'm glad it's widely available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Arbite posted:

That was great. I'm glad it's widely available.

Yeah, same. It was like 12:50am and I had just gotten into bed when a friend text me the link. Went back to the living room to watch it and I'm really glad I did. Definitely gonna watch it again today