Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

The president already believes it but Jesus christ it blows my mind that the death Cult is literally electing fringe as gently caress conspiracy theorists. Also that the "fringe" conspiracy theory started by 4chan or whatever is now infecting actual DC level politics.

Look do you want to end american hegemony or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Look do you want to end american hegemony or not

Somewhere, a monkey's paw has curled.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

BigDave posted:

How many heads of cattle did she heard to you?

Given that shes smart enough that she dont need no (hoo)man she can open her own drat peanut butter jars and that i frequently have to stop her from herding squirrels and flying birds into her mouth i would say she would be amazing. Probably handle 50 cows by herself easy. (I have no experience with herding cows with dogs we just used paired barbed wire and electric because loving JULIE) She would have been an amazing mwd or service dog if she had been raised properly instead of being feral until 1ish

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZuCT4PmurY

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Infrastructure weak

This didn’t get enough love.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/senquezada29/status/1263301884606988288?s=21

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Well gently caress....

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
thoughts and prayers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Many such cases.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Good people on both sides.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Reportedly two people down but the event is over. Hopefully no more than that and someone stomped the shooter’s skull in.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
America’s open and back to normal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shooters are returning to malls.

Nature is healing.

We are the virus.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woodchip posted:

America’s open and back to normal.

Working hard, thank you!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Basticle posted:

this is a wild ride https://jalopnik.com/former-green-beret-and-son-arrested-by-feds-for-alleged-1843562595

Ex- Green Beret (and his son and another guy) basically smuggled Carlos Ghosn out of japan in a big black audio equipment box lol

You can fit all kinds of things in a road case. Lot of them are custom built and can be designed with false tops and bottoms for legit reasons. Also, a hearty lol.

ok, i stopped lol'ing. gently caress.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Basticle posted:

this is a wild ride https://jalopnik.com/former-green-beret-and-son-arrested-by-feds-for-alleged-1843562595

Ex- Green Beret (and his son and another guy) basically smuggled Carlos Ghosn out of japan in a big black audio equipment box lol

This was huge news here in Japan back when it happened. I live within walking distance of where he was being held before being let out on bail, and there were reporters swarming the place every time something looked like it might happen. His escape caught the Japanese government with their pants down and I'm glad they got embarrassed for it, because the criminal justice system over here is pretty loving awful. They can hold you for up to 23 days without even charging you with anything, and the cops are allowed to interrogate people without a lawyer present. They'll do whatever they can to force you to confess because they don't like bringing cases to trial. If you don't confess during that 23 day period, they can also just arrest you on suspicion of something else again. They held Ghosn for like three months before he was finally let out on house arrest.

While I'm normally all for eating the rich, it was pretty clear that they arrested him to be a scapegoat, not because they actually cared about corruption.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Not linking the video, ppv tahoe on Instagram has the shooter talking about it, pulling his rifle, and you can hear shots from a outdoor patio area.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh great another one of these jackoffs

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah I was scrolling through Twitter on my phone last night and some rear end in a top hat posted his Snapchats so it auto played before I realized what it was and I saw some poo poo I wish I hadn't before bed.

So in summary,

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh great another one of these jackoffs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shooting at NAS Corpus Christi.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/naval-air-station-corpus-christi-texas-lockdown-amid-report-active-n1211901

quote:

At least one security force member was injured Thursday morning in an active-shooter incident at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi.

The coastal base in Nueces County, Texas, about 140 miles southeast of San Antonio, was on lockdown after security responded to an active shooter around 6:15 a.m.

The shooter was "neutralized," the base said in a Facebook post.

The base said earlier that the shooter was believed to be in the vicinity of its north gate.

"If you are in or near the North Gate get out and away to safety," a Facebook post read. "Execute lockdown procedures — remain indoors and away from windows."

All gates at the base remain closed while emergency responders accessed the scene.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Oh good, America is getting back to normal.

MotherFUCKER

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Spent the whole night editing a manuscript due in a week and meanwhile there's been two loving shootings. Marrrrrrrrrrrvelous.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Get used to it being officially normalized. Two shootings and none of the news networks are covering it. I don’t think they’ll magically become a story anytime soon again.

It’s been normal for a while but now we as a society officially don’t give a poo poo anymore.

So if you ever want to talk to people about how racism and genocide and poo poo become normal, just point to how the news covered school/mass shootings when Columbine happened, and trace it to present day.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 21, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

gently caress are we going to have to aspire to the response of thoughts and prayers now? That's depressing and very 2020ish

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Woofer posted:

Get used to it being officially normalized. Two shootings and none of the news networks are covering it. I don’t think they’ll magically become a story anytime soon again.

It’s been normal for a while but now we as a society officially don’t give a poo poo anymore.

So if you ever want to talk to people about how racism and genocide and poo poo become normal, just point to how the news covered school/mass shootings when Columbine happened, and trace it to present day.

The last couple of shootings have been 2 wounded, 0 dead and 1 wounded, 0 dead, right? Those usually don't get much coverage outside of a local breaking story.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I bet that a big one is going to happen within days of the Feds saying "everything is cool!" and then it's going to be a be the media fighting between their love of bloody coverage, and them trying to make people unafraid of going outside again. I think a lot of people have memory holed the constant mass shooting stuff in America, because we collectively have the memory of goldfish and the past few months have been too emotionally taxing to people. Meanwhile, the lonely weirdos who do this poo poo have just been waiting for people to congregate again.

I'm not looking forward to when kids go back to school.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The NAS shooting is more about locality than body count. Idiots growing their tyranny balls and taking aim at military installations is pretty noteworthy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If a shooting doesn't hit double digits, was there really a shooting at all? - America

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like China is going to end the pretense that Hong Kong has any kind of autonomy, they’re pushing for Article 23 of the Basic Law: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/asia/hong-kong-npc-article-23-intl-hnk/index.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wish I had gone to HK earlier. I'll not be going now

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/1263470931554570242

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm surprised it took two decades.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Midjack posted:

Looks like China is going to end the pretense that Hong Kong has any kind of autonomy, they’re pushing for Article 23 of the Basic Law: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/asia/hong-kong-npc-article-23-intl-hnk/index.html

Welp, wonder what the British were expecting back in the 90s?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Welp, wonder what the British were expecting back in the 90s?

They knew this was inevitable. They kind of had to give the island back because while the UK had the island and Kowloon as long as they wanted it, China only gave them a 100 year lease on the New Territories and most of the factories and ports plus half the population are in the New Territories. They could have hung onto the original HK part, but there would have been a lot of problems moving people and stuff off the island.

Edit: China can also afford to break HK now. In 1997 the addition of HK expanded China’s economy by about 20% so it was a good money spigot. The world has changed in the last 25 years, China has plenty of access to money and markets plus neither the US nor the UK is currently going to do anything about it and the pandemic will inhibit large protest gatherings. This is the kind of poo poo to take advantage of “never waste a crisis,” not passing bullshit tax bills.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 21, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

So how deep into the Qult were these terrorists misunderstood lone wolves

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Also important to recognize that a lot of liberals and conservatives genuinely (and stupidly) believed that China's opening to world markets and rising middle class would somehow inherently lead to at least nominal democracy.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
"I tested very positively today in a negative sense"
-Donald Trump May 5th, 2020

E:
"I tested very positively in another sense so— this morning. Yeah. I tested positively toward negative, right. So. I tested perfectly this morning. Meaning I tested negative."

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 21, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Also important to recognize that a lot of liberals and conservatives genuinely (and stupidly) believed that China's opening to world markets and rising middle class would somehow inherently lead to at least nominal democracy.

China was here before us; China will be here after we are gone, largely unchanged. They may be terrible in a lot of ways but they have staying power.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Midjack posted:

China was here before us; China will be here after we are gone, largely unchanged. They may be terrible in a lot of ways but they have staying power.

What do you mean? In what sense?

People have lived in a lot of places for a long time and the Chinese government is young compared to a "young" country's government like the US's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Immanentized posted:

"I tested very positively today in a negative sense"
-Donald Trump May 5th, 2020

Just floors me that people can listen to his mush brains verbal diarrhea and be impressed. Him saying "we're testing and we're testing strongly" gave me a serious crack-ping moment a while back because I spent the next ten minutes trying to get into the mind of him and his idiots to figure out how you test strongly, and conversely how anyone not Strong Daddy would have obviously tested weakly because they're not him. What is a strong test? What is a weak test? How does an incompetent, grifting buffoon who does nothing but watch Fox and tweet all day do a strong test when he never does anything and why would any one ever do a weak test?