Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Toronto finding a new way to lose to Boston, yet again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So the #4 seed can end up with a lower seeded opponent than 1, 2 and 3.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Yea. that doesn't make sense. They need to reseed after the first round.

But I liked my system better, anyway.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wonderful, another Flyers-Pens series

:suicide:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

AsInHowe posted:

Toronto finding a new way to lose to Boston, yet again!

There is no guarantee they get by a healthy Columbus.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Hand Knit posted:

There is no guarantee they get by a healthy Columbus.

The only thing guaranteed is that Toronto will lose to Boston in a winner-take-all game

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Panthers-Coyotes finals is what the world needs right now.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Phil Kessel and Taylor Hall in the playoffs for Arizona :psyduck:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Congrats Jim Benning, you're back in the playoffs you big idiot

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

2019 Western Conference Semifinals
Game 1: Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues (04/25/2019) — NHL Network, 8 a.m.
Game 2: Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues (04/27/2019) — NHL Network, 9:30 a.m.
Game 3: St. Louis Blues at Dallas Stars (04/29/2019) — NHL Network, 10:30 a.m.
Game 4: St. Louis Blues at Dallas Stars (05/01/2019) — NHL Network, noon
Game 5: Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues (05/03/2019) — NHL Network, 1 p.m.
Game 6: St. Louis Blues at Dallas Stars (05/05/2019) — NHL Network, 2:30 p.m.
Game 7: Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues (05/07/2019) — NHL Network, 4 p.m.

2019 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals
Game 4: Tampa Bay Lightning at Columbus Blue Jackets (04/16/2019) — NBCSN, 6 p.m.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

gently caress that series and the loving blues. Maybe I'll just watch up until they intentionally injure the goalies then get awarded the series turning goal while the now injured goalie if writhing around in pain outside of his crease.

Shinjobi posted:

Dallas in a top four? Resounding success.

Up there with such league titans as *checks* the Flyers!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Up there with such league titans as *checks* the Flyers!

metro supremacy, bithc :cool:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1062759818463604737

fuckin lmao this pause right after "Jokinen and Luongo"

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

The gods demand more Rangers Caps playoff hockey.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

So do you think they make it through the first round before somebody tests positive and it all blows up?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jovial Cow posted:

The gods demand more Rangers Caps playoff hockey.

No thank you.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rangers V Carolina would be interesting and provides a possible path out of then first round for the Rangers considering how they play against Carolina

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There’s supposed to be frequent and rapid testing in the host cities. I’m guessing that they think that they can quickly isolate anybody that tests positive and keep it from spreading, but lol at that. It does seem like a potential train wreck. Might as well let the NHL be the test case for the big four and see what happens, I say full speed ahead.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

FBS posted:

So do you think they make it through the first round before somebody tests positive and it all blows up?

Nah, they won't get that far. Somebody's going to lick a doorknob on a bet in a practice session.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1062759818463604737

fuckin lmao this pause right after "Jokinen and Luongo"

The weird thing about this trade is that both Jokinen and Luongo were high draft picks (3rd and 4th in 1997), and Jokinen had just been traded to the Islanders in the Palffy deal. Maybe you start wondering about Jokinen moving forward, but, like, neither Kvasha or Parrish were these great assets that you would just give up on Jokinen, let along Luongo.

I am really not sure why they had to trade Luongo to draft DiPietro. It is the same kind of idea that led the Leafs to deal Rask because they had Pogge.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Drafting DiPietro over Heatley/Gaborik was also really out there.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the thread title refers to “zubra,” right?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It was a terrible trade but there was some reasoning behind it. The Islanders had just drafted DiPietro who was supposed to be the next big thing in goaltending and that meant the writing was on the wall for Luongo. Jokinen was a throw in who was looking like a bust of a high pick and the Islanders had Connolly coming off a good rookie season looking like their top line centre of the future.

Parrish had two straight 24 goal seasons to start his career and was looking like a 30 goal guy for the next decade. Kvasha was supposed to be a big talented Russian that could evolve into a Jagr lite winger but uh yeah he didn't.

Really the trade was Luongo for Parrish which at the time wasn't totally out to lunch value wise. Kvasha and Jokinen were struggling talented guys that needed changes of scenery. Basically it was an attempt to deal from a position of strength to address weaknesses. It blew up in the Islanders faces and they idiotically doubled down by picking up Yashin the next year.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

wonderful, another Flyers-Pens series

:suicide:
it's gonna rule, op

only downside is bars (hopefully) won't be (as) packed with people yelling obscenities

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I think a problem would be if someone does get covid it would spread around their team first. Then what do you do? Pause all that team's matches for weeks until it clears up?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

It was a terrible trade but there was some reasoning behind it. The Islanders had just drafted DiPietro who was supposed to be the next big thing in goaltending and that meant the writing was on the wall for Luongo. Jokinen was a throw in who was looking like a bust of a high pick and the Islanders had Connolly coming off a good rookie season looking like their top line centre of the future.

Parrish had two straight 24 goal seasons to start his career and was looking like a 30 goal guy for the next decade. Kvasha was supposed to be a big talented Russian that could evolve into a Jagr lite winger but uh yeah he didn't.

Really the trade was Luongo for Parrish which at the time wasn't totally out to lunch value wise. Kvasha and Jokinen were struggling talented guys that needed changes of scenery. Basically it was an attempt to deal from a position of strength to address weaknesses. It blew up in the Islanders faces and they idiotically doubled down by picking up Yashin the next year.

Mark Parrish wasn't even a bad player for the Isles. He just never capitalized on that promise he had early in his career.

And yeah, Jokinen didn't really become Jokinen for a while. Maybe it'd be like if the Flyers traded Nolan Patrick right now? Or Edmonton trading Puljujarvi? I am trying to think of a contemporary example.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Honestly the only thing they can do is shut down that hub for two weeks and wait it out. I think part of the reason they're so eager to get going is this could potentially take months to wrap up with a couple stoppages.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

And yeah, Jokinen didn't really become Jokinen for a while. Maybe it'd be like if the Flyers traded Nolan Patrick right now? Or Edmonton trading Puljujarvi? I am trying to think of a contemporary example.

Casey Mittelstadt maybe? A talented player who's likely good enough to be an everyday NHLer but plagued by accusations of a cruddy work ethic and a rethinking of his high end potential.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Mark Parrish wasn't even a bad player for the Isles. He just never capitalized on that promise he had early in his career.

Dylan Strome maybe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It could sort of work if they're getting South Korean tests, or I think Germany has good fast ones too?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I think a problem would be if someone does get covid it would spread around their team first. Then what do you do? Pause all that team's matches for weeks until it clears up?

Yeah, when a player tests positive it means he's already been spreading the virus for days and half the team likely now has it and is also spreading it.

The Glorious Return of Sports will last about a week and a half tops.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ThinkTank posted:

Honestly the only thing they can do is shut down that hub for two weeks and wait it out. I think part of the reason they're so eager to get going is this could potentially take months to wrap up with a couple stoppages.

I imagine it's more to do with a captive (inter)national audience.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Casey Mittelstadt maybe? A talented player who's likely good enough to be an everyday NHLer but plagued by accusations of a cruddy work ethic and a rethinking of his high end potential.

He probably fits the bill, too. I don't know how well thought of Jokinen was as a prospect, despite being drafted high, but iirc, Mittelstadt was a top prospect a few years ago.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Dylan Strome maybe?

He'd be a good example of a guy everyone thought was a bust who started performing better once he was traded.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, when a player tests positive it means he's already been spreading the virus for days and half the team likely now has it and is also spreading it.

The Glorious Return of Sports will last about a week and a half tops.

Restarting sports right now is dumb. With the mortality rate some player or staff or family member is gonna loving die. Best case scenario is the Fall, but that's gonna happen cuz morons still refuse to listen to science. This poo poo is going to get worse before it gets better.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

deoju posted:

Restarting sports right now is dumb. With the mortality rate some player or staff or family member is gonna loving die. Best case scenario is the Fall, but that's gonna happen cuz morons still refuse to listen to science. This poo poo is going to get worse before it gets better.

Yeah, but have you ever thought about how my entire identity revolves around being a fan of a sports team? What am I to do?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHPktgmbdbA

these here are some good cheap shots and bad decisions

here's another solid dumb hockey player compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McUjLS9s03A

gently caress the following people:

marchand
duncan keith
chris simon
marchand, again

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 21, 2020

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1263515575772426240

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bewbies posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHPktgmbdbA

these here are some good cheap shots and bad decisions

here's another solid dumb hockey player compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McUjLS9s03A

gently caress the following people:

marchand
duncan keith
chris simon
marchand, again

The the Phaneuf hit on Michael Sauer in here? gently caress him forever for that one.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

The whole Olympic Village style of quarantining players away from their families for months to make these “playoffs” happen is hilarious

I hope Kessel gets to pick the movies that they have to watch on the Outdoor Big Screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

"We're willing to risk your lives to mitigate our losses, but you'll be able to golf."