Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: iOS 13.5 has dropped. :siren:

My friend's phone just says it has new Memoji stickers and something about icloud. It sounds like the description for the last update. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Why, when i select an individual song in Apple music, does it then add the next half dozen loving albums in their entirety to the queue?

I just want the loving track that's playing, and whatever I add through "play next/last" and that's it. :rant:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xzzy posted:

This comes with a $30 drop in price of the phone too, right? :v:

I do wish they'd offer a bare bones packaging option. No wires, no charger, no high quality box, just give me the phone in a cheap padded sleeve because phones are already incredibly wasteful devices, might as well reduce the waste where they can.

Where would they put the free Apple stickers?

E. I'm amazed that Apple still includes chargers at all, they unbundled them from the iPod fairly early on after all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so after a few days on spotify its absolutely a better service for finding new music than apple music.

it also is missing some songs/versions of songs that Apple Music has :struggle:

to add insult to injury spotify no longer allows you to import local music for playback within spotify on iOS.

subscription services loving suck and Im going to go back to piracy and bandcamp purchases I think.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

all the music streaming services kind of blow because of the lovely apps. you just have to find the least bad one

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i still have soulseek on my pc in case i ever want to go back to mp3s but then i think about downloading and tagging the hundreds of albums in my spotify library... :negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Laserface posted:

so after a few days on spotify its absolutely a better service for finding new music than apple music.

to add insult to injury spotify no longer allows you to import local music for playback within spotify on iOS.

subscription services loving suck and Im going to go back to piracy and bandcamp purchases I think.

:canada: welcomes you back.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

:canada: welcomes you back.

If you're taking :australia:n's I will gladly uproot my life and move to Canuckistan.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
What about if you're not wearing a facemask? Do you still have to go through the whole bullshit?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

What about if you're not wearing a facemask? Do you still have to go through the whole bullshit?

If you aren’t wearing a face mask it just works? :confused:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Laserface posted:

If you're taking :australia:n's I will gladly uproot my life and move to Canuckistan.

Piracy was so rampant we legalized personal use in the early 2000s :haw:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Laserface posted:

You can still load up local music from a desktop, sync the playlist to play offline, and have access to it on iOS fwiw

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks for the replies.

xzzy posted:

Nope, Apple's shuffle isn't actually a true shuffle, it thinks it's being smart and clever. If you shuffle a playlist it picks a finite number of songs with a bias towards stuff it thinks is "similar" or you like a lot.

How annoying. If I want to listen to a certain limited set of songs over and over again, I'll make the playlist myself. That is a thing you can do. If I want to listen to a specific song, I can select it myself. I don't need some idiot's idea of smart deciding for me what I want to listen to.

Minidust posted:

If you have any other music apps try starting a shuffle with one of those. I've found that if a playlist kicks off outside of the actual Music app, shuffle behaves more like you expect it to.

Does anyone have recommendations for music apps which will actually shuffle a list but play each song once. I don't want or need any music streaming, I just want it to play the MP3's I already have on the phone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles posted:

My friend's phone just says it has new Memoji stickers and something about icloud. It sounds like the description for the last update. :iiam:

It only shows the COVID features if your device has faceid, else it’s just Memoji and bug fixes.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It mentioned the FaceID changes on two TouchID devices I updated today.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Those bastards!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Soul Glo posted:

My phone worked correctly last Thursday, Friday and this past Monday and has been showing this problem again all day yesterday and today. My GPS is still finding me, but not tracking movement at all in Apple Maps or Google Maps, occasionally warping up to where I am then freezing again. I’ve done everything short of restoring your factory settings, but I’m not sure what that would do that Reset All Settings wouldn’t.

I’m about to reach the end of Verizon’s customer support, what’s the best way to get help from Apple with stores being closed? Go through their website?

Factory reset last night, set up as new, redownloded only essential apps, updated to 13.5, problem still happening today.

Looks like I get to loan Apple $1000 for them to send me a new phone next week. :smith:

I just want my three month old fancy pants phone to Just Work :argh:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for music apps which will actually shuffle a list but play each song once. I don't want or need any music streaming, I just want it to play the MP3's I already have on the phone.
Miximum is an app for making smart playlists, I believe the free version limits you to 1 app-generated playlist at a time but you'll have access to all your existing playlists. So you could initiate a shuffle there and then go back to the standard Music app for playback controls and library navigation.

I also like SongOwl for reference/library navigation (it lets you view metadata like year, grouping, date added etc), and Stezza for when I wanna leave my phone screen on and just use it as like a touchscreen jukebox, but I think both of these only have a paid version.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SlowBloke posted:

It only shows the COVID features if your device has faceid, else it’s just Memoji and bug fixes.

It's an XS so has Face ID.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It mentioned the FaceID changes on two TouchID devices I updated today.

Sounds like they mixed up their descriptions.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is this a recent change? The status bar info is moved into the middle of the screen with control center open.

They fixed the reply indentation in Mail. Paste still inserts a space when trying to paste next to existing text, though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

Is this a recent change? The status bar info is moved into the middle of the screen with control center open.

it's been like that for a long time

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That’s too bad. I was on 13.3. I don’t understand what is accomplished by moving an otherwise stationary interface element.

Look at this monstrosity :barf:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh i didn't notice you're on a touch id phone. it's been like that on the x since the beginning since it doesn't all fit around the notch but for some reason they added it to the touch id phones in 13.4

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Given how relatively disappointing the Pixel 4 was, and the potential for pixel 5 to be even more disappointing and/or delayed is a definite chance, I'm considering a switch.

Is iMessage lock-in as bad as it used to be, or would I be able to switch back to Android if/when Google gets their poo poo together?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Buff Hardback posted:

Is iMessage lock-in as bad as it used to be, or would I be able to switch back to Android if/when Google gets their poo poo together?

How do you mean? You can still text non-iMessage users, you just get some niceties if the person you're texting also has iMessage. It's basically transparent to the end user

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

How do you mean? You can still text non-iMessage users, you just get some niceties if the person you're texting also has iMessage. It's basically transparent to the end user

As in the "oops I switched back to Android, Apple still thinks I have an iPhone now I need to go borrow an iPhone to turn it off and have everyone delete all their text chains with me"

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Buff Hardback posted:

As in the "oops I switched back to Android, Apple still thinks I have an iPhone now I need to go borrow an iPhone to turn it off and have everyone delete all their text chains with me"

Ah, I'll leave that to the crowd, I'm locked in by choice since 2009 so can't really speak to that behavior.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

T-Mobile is doing a free SE with trade-in and 24mo bill credits.

quote:

Starting May 22, 2020, for a limited time, well-qualified customers who purchase an iPhone SE (all colors and memory variants) can save up to $400, via one-time trade-in credit and 24 monthly bill credits, when they trade in an eligible device. Specific rate plan not required but line with qualifying EIP must be on a voice rate plan. (Please remember to qualify as a trade in the device needs to be paid off and in good working condition.)

$400.00 offer value: Apple iPhone: 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XS, XS Max, 11 Samsung Galaxy: S9, S9+, Note 9, S10, S10e, S10+, S10 5G, Note 10, Note 10+, Note 10+ 5G Google Pixel: 4, 4XL, 3, 3XL OnePlus: 7T, 7T Pro 5G McClaren, 8, 8 Pro LG: G8 ThinQ

$200.00 offer value: Any memory variant included: Apple iPhone: 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus Samsung Galaxy: S8, S8+, Note8, S7, S7 Edge, S7 Active Google Pixel: 3a, 3a XL OnePlus: 7 Pro, 7, 6T LG: V50 ThinQ, V40 ThinQ, G7 ThinQ

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Apparently this includes people still on Sprint plans, too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FCKGW posted:

lol oops I ordered one like two weeks ago. Time to see what they’ll do for me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Buff Hardback posted:

They've made it a little better. If you remove your SIM, starting from iOS 12 it will automatically deregister your number from iMessage, or you can use their web portal to turn it off.

Once you deregister, 1:1 messages fall back to text okay, it seems. But afaik group messages are still a clusterfuck if one person no longer has iMessage.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

kitten smoothie posted:

They've made it a little better. If you remove your SIM, starting from iOS 12 it will automatically deregister your number from iMessage, or you can use their web portal to turn it off.

Once you deregister, 1:1 messages fall back to text okay, it seems. But afaik group messages are still a clusterfuck if one person no longer has iMessage.

I can live with that, I hardly group text anyone, and if I do it's through over the top apps.

At this point though, as tempting as the 11 pro is I'm going to be patient and wait for 12

1. I'm unemployed thanks beervirus
2. Buying iPhone now when I don't need it will just result in buyers remorse in like 3 months

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

It's basically transparent to the end user

Invisible. If it was transparent users would have a better understanding of what’s happening cf transparent government.

And from second hand experience you do have to follow very specific steps to deregister your phone number otherwise messages can disappear into the ether.

But if you’re aware of that it’s not a problem.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Minidust posted:

Miximum is an app for making smart playlists, I believe the free version limits you to 1 app-generated playlist at a time but you'll have access to all your existing playlists. So you could initiate a shuffle there and then go back to the standard Music app for playback controls and library navigation.

That'll work fine, I'll just make a playlist containing every song on the phone. ... But can you change the single playlist afterwards, to add or remove songs?

quote:

I also like SongOwl for reference/library navigation (it lets you view metadata like year, grouping, date added etc), and Stezza for when I wanna leave my phone screen on and just use it as like a touchscreen jukebox, but I think both of these only have a paid version.

Thanks for that. If I have music on, I'm almost always doing something where my hands are occupied and aren't going to be actively doing anything with the phone anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How do they keep making Mail.app worse. It's baffling

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

xzzy posted:

This comes with a $30 drop in price of the phone too, right? :v:

I do wish they'd offer a bare bones packaging option. No wires, no charger, no high quality box, just give me the phone in a cheap padded sleeve because phones are already incredibly wasteful devices, might as well reduce the waste where they can.

this last generation had a different cable and charger for a reason, though.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Out of Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint, which has the best iPhone trade in deal? I’m with Verizon now. I have an iPhone 6s Plus. If I was to go with T-Mobile it seems that I would be leasing the iPhone 11 and paying $200 spread over 24 months. With Sprint, you pay nothing for 18 months and then pay the remaining $175 for 6 months. So sprint seems like the better deal, unless I didn’t get all of that right.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Verizon’s estimating $34 for a 6 Plus, T-Mobile estimated $28, Sprint estimated $30. Apple says up to $100 on their website.

Sprint has good deals on phones but you’ll probably figure out why they’re practically giving them away very quickly. But while their network sucks they are merging with T-Mobile and I think they’re planning to switch over some of the towers this summer, so it could be a good way to go honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good Sphere posted:

Out of Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint, which has the best iPhone trade in deal? I’m with Verizon now. I have an iPhone 6s Plus. If I was to go with T-Mobile it seems that I would be leasing the iPhone 11 and paying $200 spread over 24 months. With Sprint, you pay nothing for 18 months and then pay the remaining $175 for 6 months. So sprint seems like the better deal, unless I didn’t get all of that right.

Yeah, def look at the promo prices, and essentially phones are somewhat like cable companies now, you get a better deal switching whenever you need to upgrade your phone.

Sprint phones in theory have access to T-Mobile service now ? Sprint as a company is gonna be killed by end of the summer. Anyone with promos and deals will keep them for at least the run of the promo.

That said, unless it’s a killer deal, I would lean T-Mobile. I’m assuming they’re gonna be really nice to sprint customers , but if you have issues, you’re gonna have at least consistent customer service.