Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The last one in any position of power, I think is what they meant.

Yes, because they had hunted down and captured or killed every other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rhyno posted:

I think they said several times that Baal was the last System Lord.

Unfortunately there were more Baals bouncing around the place than at a rocky mountain oyster factory.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brawnfire posted:

Unfortunately there were more Baals bouncing around the place than at a rocky mountain oyster factory.

:D

Ball was the best villain the show ever had.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like how he was equally comfortable being a grandiose Goa'uld system lord, a corporate CEO, covertly pulling strings... He didn't care how he exhibited his power as long as he had it, and he was amazing at getting it back even after losing it all.

Also, that sadistic gravity-shifting dagger-dropping thing he came up with is just hosed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Well that's weird! As in, the Asgard were jerks in the movie, or Ra was an alien that first took an Asgard host then layered some Human over it?

Ra was a weird old man looking alien. He looks nothing like an Asgard because hes not an asgard. It's like trying to retcon French Stewart's character into being a shapeshifter because he looks nothing like his show version.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I've decided it's time to 1) Rewatch the original film

and 2) Repost this prog metal telling of the tale, in all its 240p glory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf8rEpy1iCU
:c00lbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ra was a weird old man looking alien. He looks nothing like an Asgard because hes not an asgard. It's like trying to retcon French Stewart's character into being a shapeshifter because he looks nothing like his show version.

Well now I don't know what to think!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You compare Ra to an Asgard because Independence Day was original a sequel to Stargate and THOSE aliens looked like Asgards when they opened up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

You compare Ra to an Asgard because Independence Day was original a sequel to Stargate and THOSE aliens looked like Asgards when they opened up.

:monocle: I did not know this!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hey, why the gently caress not. No reason they can’t be in the same Universe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Zesty posted:

Hey, why the gently caress not. No reason they can’t be in the same Universe.

I'd absolutely watch a series of films each with apparently separate alien attacks or discovery of alien worlds, and then a series of movies in which we learn they're all intertwined in this massive galactic political struggle and we're about to cause the most catastrophic war ever by just leaving our planet and saying "leave us the gently caress alone"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Will Smith punches a horus guard coming out of a death glider. WELCOME 2 EARTH

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Will Smith is Oneal the airforce dude
Goldblum is daniel the nerd
Area 51 is Cheyenne mountain with dead jaffa in tubes of formaldehyde
The fly a glider to the giant pyramid and upload a virus to ...someone by sneezing earth germs into their face.

It translates perfectly

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

General Battuta posted:

You're pretty much into the good parts of SGU, it only gets better from there.

Man I know this topic has been beaten to death and healed in a sarcophagus and beaten to death again, but I really can't get over how incredibly callous the Stargate design is. I mean, you walk into an incoming wormhole and it kills you? The gate's whole function is to turn matter into energy/data, so when you step through that incoming wormhole's event horizon does the gate just...turn you into energy and then delete you? Couldn't the gate just politely spit you back out? Did some Ancient coder tell the gate to dump the fools who walk in the wrong way?

God they're such dicks.

I didn't like Stargate when they started trying to get too Trek-like in explaining every bit of technology. It's enough and works better to say "it's a wormhole connecting the two gates" than it is to make it into a wormhole but also it's like a transporter and it's got computers built in that buffer the objects and so technobabble on.

IIRC I don't think the Independence Day as a Stargate sequel plans ever got into what character was what. I think the idea was more that there might be some cameos but overall it was about building up this cinematic universe.

Shame that Independence Day 2 sucked, the setup they did for a third movie was promising.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Otoh if Independence Day 2 didn't suck, we would have gotten a terrible Stargate movie sequel that completely ignores the series.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Thank Ba’al

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In an alternate timeline he succeeded in implanting one of his clones into the President.

Thanks O'Ba'alma

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rhyno posted:

In an alternate timeline he succeeded in implanting one of his clones into the President.

Thanks O'Ba'alma

Sure, Ba'al is an evil, Immortal space tyrant, but he was a solid leader with excellent project management skills, was charming, and almost always had a plan for everything.
[looks at our current mess] I mean, given the choice...

(Ok, I'll stop now.)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

SGU is a radical departure from that style as you all know, and despite being aware of the general reaction people have to it, and therefore being prepared, I was still on the fence with it, to a degree even I didn't fully realize, until they found the crashed alien ship and really episode 13, "Faith," where they unexpectedly drop out of FTL at the mystery planet and a group stays there for a month. Please do NOT tell me yet if that mystery is ever explained in season 2, by the way.

Anyway the first half of the season where it's incompetent people sniping at each other and the whole show has to be carried by Robert Carlyle, isn't what I wanted, from Stargate or any other franchise. But after that point they seem to have pulled it together (both as a show in the meta sense, and as the crew of the Destiny inside the show, despite some lingering friction) and I'm really liking it now.

I wish I could watch SGU again for the first time.
It totally became, and still is, one of my top sci-fi shows.
I can see how others didn't like it, but I think SGU was about 5-10 years too early.
It would be lauded now if it was made around now.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At the very least they wouldn’t be trying a Battlestar Gallactica rip-off.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
If they held off a few years and spent a bit more time on getting the cast right SGU could have been a solid show. I liked the tone more than atlantis.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

At the very least they wouldn’t be trying a Battlestar Gallactica rip-off.

Nothing wrong with that, if its done well. Just not the ending.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think the second season tone of "gently caress yeah, the crazy rear end in a top hat has taken control" would be as effective without the first season of "boy these are a bunch of miserable idiots"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Do you think the second season tone of "gently caress yeah, the crazy rear end in a top hat has taken control" would be as effective without the first season of "boy these are a bunch of miserable idiots"

I definitely don't, so much of the clusterfucky nature of everyone's reactions pretty much sold me on the idea of some STEMlord thinking he can run the whole show better himself

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A lot of the first season is genuinely kind of wretched (Wray putting the sad bad commander on trial for murder was kind of ridiculously petty...except that he then immediately does try to murder someone, so maybe she has a point?) but I can't deny that it made the process of the crew coming together in the second season really satisfying.

Also I'll reiterate that it's great, especially after Atlantis, to see how much the C-team struggles with Stargate problems. O'Neill genuinely can't believe that they're stuck on Destiny for more than the length of a two-parter. It's incomprehensible to him that they haven't solved it, since Carter would've probably had them home by the time the air ran out.

I also liked the way they took existing aspects of the mythology (like ascension) and treated them as the huge mysterious things they are rather than something to be done and undone routinely.

And Destiny's fueling/charging system is really cool and makes a basic part of astronomy, the different types of stars, relevant to the series!

I like SGU.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Rush is also really pretty. I know you think so too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SGU really hit it's stride about halfway through season 1. I wish they'd gotten one more season or even a movie to wrap it up. SGU definitely had the best looking cast of the SG franchise. They were all just too drat pretty.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I imagine if they cut the stones out of the story entirely it would have been much better. God those were such a shitshow. Like as a writer, how could you not understand that when someone is in another body having sex, that’s not consensual?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
There is a three/four group dynamic on the ship, it would have been nice to see each of them take control for a while.
Young definitely wanted to go full military but knew it would gently caress them all up.
Rush is just Rush, he would sacrifice Eli if it gave him new chalk for the equation tunnel.
The 'civilians' being the rest, were getting sick of the other two already.

It should have more ship exploration in the first season imo, oh look heres a room with some weird tech poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah they were dumb. It was better when Jack was just sending vague poo poo to a barber.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

happyhippy posted:

There is a three/four group dynamic on the ship, it would have been nice to see each of them take control for a while.
Young definitely wanted to go full military but knew it would gently caress them all up.
Rush is just Rush, he would sacrifice Eli if it gave him new chalk for the equation tunnel.
The 'civilians' being the rest, were getting sick of the other two already.

It should have more ship exploration in the first season imo, oh look heres a room with some weird tech poo poo.

I liked that Camille Wray character, who was administratively useless, grasping for control, and Machiavellian at the times it would kill everyone to be such.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe she read all the Stargate Command mission logs and figured that every team outside SG1 inevitably ends up dead, compromised, working for the NID, turning into warlords on some primitive planet, trying to genocide the natives, or otherwise loving up.

It's even worse if you're Russian.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The quantum mirror presents a very dark reading of Stargate in which Our Heroes are only alive through unbelievable luck and in nearly every other reality opening the gate led to human enslavement/extinction. Kinsey was an rear end in a top hat, but he wasn't exactly wrong.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

General Battuta posted:

The quantum mirror presents a very dark reading of Stargate in which Our Heroes are only alive through unbelievable luck and in nearly every other reality opening the gate led to human enslavement/extinction. Kinsey was an rear end in a top hat, but he wasn't exactly wrong.

The darkest of the implications is I'm pretty sure "our world" is one of the ones that got turbo-hosed and the decent one in the show is a parallel universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

General Battuta posted:

I really didn't like the last QM episode where the alternate SG1 was willing to steal the ZPM from the prime universe. Kind of a dark turn for what were essentially our heroes.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

I imagine if they cut the stones out of the story entirely it would have been much better. God those were such a shitshow. Like as a writer, how could you not understand that when someone is in another body having sex, that’s not consensual?

Brad Wright really loves the concept of doing things in someone else's body considering this and the show Travelers.
IIRC some characters were creeped out by the bodyswapping.

I think the stones served a good purpose.
1) Helped motivate Chloe into wanting to be more than the result of faildaughter nepotism.
2) Eli's story with his mom was good.
3) Allows for occasional guest stars from Earth

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rhyno posted:

Yeah they were dumb. It was better when Jack was just sending vague poo poo to a barber.

"You kept having visions of some barber's life and didn't tell anyone?"

"It was kind of nice"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

happyhippy posted:

I wish I could watch SGU again for the first time.
It totally became, and still is, one of my top sci-fi shows.
I can see how others didn't like it, but I think SGU was about 5-10 years too early.
It would be lauded now if it was made around now.

5-10 years too early? It was desperately trying to be 2004 Galactica. So I guess it was 5 years too late.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think part of SGU's problem was there was really no defined enemy to face off against. The Goa'uld and Apophis and to a lesser extent the Wraith in Atlantis helped focus the story. Even going off Battlestar you have the looming Cylon threat to push things forward. In regards to the Quantum Mirror, I feel like this makes a Stargate SG-1 Reboot plausible with the pretty commonplace alternate realties it wouldn't be hard to just roll with an alternate timeline where the series never happened and we re-activated the Stargate program like 30X years after the movie.

I do agree SG:U was a show I lost interest in when it aired and when I went back and watched it a year later after it was canceled it was much better mid-season one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

General Battuta posted:

"Ours is the only reality of consequence"