Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I would like to read more about the deep lore of the dicks, farts and nihilism show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really hope Typical takes some of the...longer posts from this thread, prints them out and just leaves them around the office for people to find

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this is mostly just me spewing incidental trivia but bugs bunny's character was actually the impetus for a lot of new character introductions

see, bugs bunny clowning on a hunter was funny at first, but after X number of cartoons it was feared the audience might start sympathizing with an increasingly oblivious Elmer Fudd, and start to dislike Bugs (who won every time, natch)

so a more dangerous and more antagonistic foe was introduced in Yosemite Sam; rinse and repeat (with a few crossovers where Daffy Duck helps prop Bugs up as the lesser of two comedic evils) and as Yosemite started to lose his bite, they began rolling out even higher stakes and less rational opponents for Bugs to bounce off, like the Tazmanian Devil, Marvin the Martian, Witch Hazel, etc

Bugs Bunny looking like too much of an rear end in a top hat was absolutely an issue that had to be worked with and written around

This is fantastic knowledge. I love this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Rick making GBS threads on time travel every time it comes up, while having a box labeled "Time Travel Stuff" has been a consistent and funny gag since the pilot.

bring back old gbs posted:

I really hope Typical takes some of the...longer posts from this thread, prints them out and just leaves them around the office for people to find

Dan Harmon is absolutely the kind of guy that would buy an account to post a 10 page drunken rant about how stupid we all are and how we're all a disappointment to everyone we've ever met. Then Roiland would hijack his account to post goatse, without even knowing it's tradition around here.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

more harmon / roiland joining SA fan fiction please

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Harmon would have a litany of posts on E/N and possibly CSPAM

Roiland would alternate between ADTRW, TCC and BYOB

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
How quickly we forget that Dan Harmon had a twitter breakdown when he found out FYAD thought the show was GBS.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

if i see anything that tops the "To be fair you have to have a really high IQ" meme, i will. but nothing has stood out to me thus far.

edit, i actually don't pay that close attention to the thread. so if you have any gold ones on the back burner i will consider them.

Typical fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 20, 2020

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Typical posted:

if i see anything that tops the "To be fair you have to have a really high IQ" meme, i will. but nothing has stood out to me thus far.

edit, i actually don't pay that close attention to the thread. so if you have any gold ones on the back burner i will consider them.

it's mostly garbage, tbh. you're good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

boo_radley posted:

it's mostly garbage, tbh. you're good.

mostly is doing a lot of work in that sentance.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I understand the criticism some people have about Rick's portrayal, but it hasn't really bothered me much -- even this episode points out how dumb and petty he can be. The vat is a bad idea! Even the second time Rick tries it, it doesn't really work -- not only does Morty miss the ladle, but it has to be used in an alternate dimension so they don't have to worry about the consequences.

One thing I missed my first watch is the cycle of rats at the start who get curious about bones, check out an acid vent, get killed, and then leave bones for another rat to become curious about. Really cute foreshadowing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

What childrens show are you talking about? This is the thread for the adult content cartoon show Rick and Morty.

Well, if the child is Young Sheldon maybe they'd get it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Typical posted:

edit, i actually don't pay that close attention to the thread

Smartest poster in the thread. Keep doing this.

BaconPirate
Dec 11, 2019
*Me thinking really hard about this cartoons consequences, character development, etc*

Lol they thought the rat had huge bones

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

BaconPirate posted:

*Me thinking really hard about this cartoons consequences, character development, etc*

Lol they thought the rat had huge bones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

drat this is hella interesting. We watched Space Jam over the weekend I was talking about how I always preferred Daffy because he was more manic and also got his comeuppance a lot more regularly, whereas Bugs was always super obnoxious but seemed to easily waltz over everyone

I'm reminded of a bit I heard about in The Looney Tunes Show where Daffy calls out Bugs for having everything go his way all the time while Daffy has everything always go wrong for him- and Bugs actually genuinely feels bad about it because he realises Daffy is right.

...the funny thing is that the closest counterpart to that relationship I can think of is Donald Duck and Gladstone Gander, and everyone loving hates Gladstone for being a smug prick as well as so lucky he never needs to put any effort in.

also: I see I'm not the only one seeing this episode showing that Morty has inherited a lot of traits from Jerry- including his predatory tendencies hiding behind a pathetic facade. Maybe a lot of things could be excused by how Morty is A: a teenager whose impulse control and moral centre aren't fully developed, and 2: clearly having been influenced negatively by Rick and all the trauma from their adventures; but that's probably still not enough of an excuse for what he gets up to on his own.

Though the funny thing is, I think the reasons Rick doesn't bring Summer along as much- because she won't go along with his abuse as much and will ignore him and peace out rather than bother getting mad at him- also apply to Jerry, who's gotten to the point of actively avoiding Rick unless he needs bailing out, and by then it's generally not fun for Rick anymore.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 21, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's okay to think critically about the things you enjoy! You can do two things if you want!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love that almost every episode has at least one background character who seems entirely normal until they suddenly reveal themselves to be into some weird poo poo and/or some brand new flavour of completely nuts.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Best part of Solar Opposites was not having Dan Harmon do voice acting in it

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mr Goldenfold was always into weird poo poo

We dont KNOW him

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Latest episode taught as the valuable lesson of saving often n00bs, least you end up losing a lot of progress.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 21, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Solar Opposites was a lot of fun. A slightly lighter version of Rick and Morty, a little less complexity, but the characters are more easy to like.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I reject wholesale the idea that Jerry is “a predator hiding behind a facade” because predation by definition implies intelligence that Jerry has been shown to lack over and over again. He’s just pathetic and he knocked Beth up and she kept the baby for reasons and that’s Jerry’s meal ticket.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jerry, a predator? lmao that's a new one

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The show outright said it, but I don't really buy it either tbh. Leeching off your family because you're pathetic doesn't make you a predator.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well Rick says it, but he’s not necessarily the voice of the show

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Bust Rodd posted:

I reject wholesale the idea that Jerry is “a predator hiding behind a facade” because predation by definition implies intelligence that Jerry has been shown to lack over and over again. He’s just pathetic and he knocked Beth up and she kept the baby for reasons and that’s Jerry’s meal ticket.

There are people who have learned to leverage pity to their benefit, and for a lot of them this is an unconscious behavior that they're not actively seeking to practice. Living that way is emasculating and draining on your sense of self-worth because of the abuse it often invites. Jerry isn't a bad guy--well, no more than anyone else in the show--but there's been some of that to who he is as a character.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm inclined to believe the truth is closer to how Jerry characterized it: Before Rick showed up, their marriage was generally OK. Rick's a destructive force, and the main problem is Beth feeling tied down and Jerry feeling insecure -- both things that would be exacerbated by Rick.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 22, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ironslave posted:

There are people who have learned to leverage pity to their benefit, and for a lot of them this is an unconscious behavior that they're not actively seeking to practice. Living that way is emasculating and draining on your sense of self-worth because of the abuse it often invites. Jerry isn't a bad guy--well, no more than anyone else in the show--but there's been some of that to who he is as a character.

I absolutely agree with you but that is not a “predatory” behavior it’s a parasitic one. Mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks don’t know they are hurting you, they are just feeding and laying eggs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ironslave posted:

It's also what makes Jerry one of the more sympathic characters overall. His flaws are pretty human and relatable even if they're taken to a cartoonish extent for humor.

Everybody knows someone like Jerry.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
"Every Rick has a vat" Might be my new favorite line in all of television

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

"Every Rick has a vat" Might be my new favorite line in all of television
:hai:

I love the implications of lots of Morty's having the device. Infinity goes both ways. There are infinite wild variants and infinite nearly identical morty's next door to murder and replace.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 22, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Another reason to suppose he wasn't melting Morty C-856's is because he'd have hundreds of other Ricks portalling in bitching about how hard they are to replace these days

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Daikloktos posted:

Another reason to suppose he wasn't melting Morty C-856's is because he'd have hundreds of other Ricks portalling in bitching about how hard they are to replace these days

Well once recombined the other Morties were spared, which makes sense because the Rick who shows our Morty the Prestige-visions and then recombines him would also have had his Morty melted, and you gotta expect even if they would were blase about losing their Morty they would still be irritated about doing a bunch of extra work just to help another Rick teach his Morty a lesson

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the poster that said the writing room probably pitched some dark poo poo as to what Morty got up to was right and a lot, possibly all of it happened offscreen. And what he did to piss off the AARP...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He knocked that old man down outside of Moe's.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mantis42 posted:

He knocked that old man down outside of Moe's.

Now we know who threw that football at Hans Moleman

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There was also the NAACP and someone with a sign saying "That's OUR word!", so you can do the math on that one.

The companion podcast for this episode says Morty's girlfriend was patterned after the director's fiancee, "so you could call her Carrie, I guess."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also 'Cannibalism Is A Choice'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also 'Cannibalism Is A Choice'.

That one in particular is hosed because that’s one of the things the survivors of the real crash those events are based on had to deal with.