Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

He also plays chess, not checkers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Well he'd never play checkers, in the UK we play draughts

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Lewis Hamilton is great at math

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rumour has it that Bottas has a $5mil Lewis WDC bonus clause in his contract.

It's me, I'm starting this rumour.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Why would Lewis read a book when the big brain move is to listen to audiobooks on his Bose headphones whilst designing the latest TommyxLewis garments in his downtime?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lewis' inner monologue on hearing the libraries have opened again:

:lewis:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

And picking the guy who's heavily into fashion and music as 'one dimensional' is a bit suspect, while we're at it

If they're not things I personally like then they don't count as dimensions! Let me know when he maintains classic bikes or grumbles about social media and kids spending too much time on their phones. That's a real personality- doing what you enjoy because it makes you happy just means you're doing it for Instagram likes

VVVV See below for the unironic version of this.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 21, 2020

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

The guy literally has the title of his favourite poem on his helmet

And picking the guy who's heavily into fashion and music as 'one dimensional' is a bit suspect, while we're at it

You can be into interesting things and still have the personality of a saltine cracker. Quoting a Maya Angelou poem isn’t some sort of magic free pass for being boring as gently caress to talk to.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
Lewis is a basic white girl at heart.
His 'gram is him posting workout selfies, cute animals he met once, and vegan inspiration.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

His 'gram is him posting workout selfies, cute animals he met once, and vegan inspiration.

You seem to be pretty miserable and hate other people enjoying different things than you

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You seem to be pretty miserable and hate other people enjoying different things than you
I don't hate him posting workout selfie #25541, I literally don't care.
That's the point.
No one cares. There's nothing of any substance or interest to see.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Khablam posted:

mlyp

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

Khablam posted:

As much as I hate to admit it, Khablam is right. Lewis is one crisp fall day away from posting about his new beige scarf and pumpkin spice latte.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

I don't hate him posting workout selfie #25541, I literally don't care.
That's the point.

You’re literally the one bringing up his Instagram posts to talk poo poo about them. Just let people enjoy things, you don’t have to try and tear everyone down man.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
You and Lewis are actually very similar, in that you only post about Lewis and meltdown as soon as someone thinks Lewis isn't doing the best.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Khablam posted:

You and Lewis are actually very similar

The greatest compliment I have ever been given. Everyone remember where you were on this day!

Also this thread is loving moronic because they will argue to the death about a statistical fact like "Vettel is a poo poo driver" that can be proven very simply with numbers and then proudly spout some subjective horseshit about a drivers personality as truth because that driver doesn't subscribe to Cast Iron Monthly

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 21, 2020

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the corona quid posted:

You can be into interesting things and still have the personality of a saltine cracker. Quoting a Maya Angelou poem isn’t some sort of magic free pass for being boring as gently caress to talk to.

I need to rethink my entire social strategy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Khablam posted:

True posts here. If Bill Clinton was our first black president then Lewis Hamilton was formula one's first white girl WDC.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
social media is the vastly inferior platform compared to anonymous online shitposting

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Any good resources for trying to catch up on F1 history through about the past 20-25 years? Documentaries, online resources, what-have-you?

I was as big into F1 as an American with limited online resources and car mag subscriptions in the early 90s could be, but I kinda got out of it. Recently had my interest reignited and, uh, poo poo's very different. Trying to redevelop rooting interests and whatnot and it's a little overwhelming.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I assume you've watched Drive to survive on Netflix? It's pretty good imo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Any good resources for trying to catch up on F1 history through about the past 20-25 years? Documentaries, online resources, what-have-you?

I was as big into F1 as an American with limited online resources and car mag subscriptions in the early 90s could be, but I kinda got out of it. Recently had my interest reignited and, uh, poo poo's very different. Trying to redevelop rooting interests and whatnot and it's a little overwhelming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/31c0cr/full_videosf1_season_reviews_1969_2013/

Look for better versions but these are pretty good

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

you could say this about a large majority of the thread tbh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lou Takki posted:

I assume you've watched Drive to survive on Netflix? It's pretty good imo

Yeah, that and finally watching Senna is what piqued my interest again. I've been reading through here and trying to browse reddit and other poo poo, picking my way through wikipedia and other stuff. Just wondered if there were some really good consolidated resources to dig through.

Sweet thanks!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Motorsport Magazine is great. Check out their website.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I liked the Senna documentary and Drive to Survive quite a bit. If it brings more people in or back to the sport I'm all for them.

I get some of the criticism about the Senna doc but I don't think it's all that unfair to Prost. If anything, it demonizes Balestre, which is fair because by all accounts he was a colossal rear end in a top hat, like in this article;

https://racer.com/2020/05/19/retro-johanssons-final-f1-podium-was-a-true-hail-mary/

“So we made it,” he continued. “Then I ran out of fuel on the slowing down lap, so the car stopped on the track and I was late to the podium, and Balestre was all pissed off with me. I was like, ‘Well, what am I supposed to do? I can’t help that the car ran out for fuel.’

But then we got to scrutineering, and because it had worn so much of the tires, it was right on the limit on the weight.”

Frond fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 21, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

The greatest compliment I have ever been given. Everyone remember where you were on this day!

Also this thread is loving moronic because they will argue to the death about a statistical fact like "Vettel is a poo poo driver" that can be proven very simply with numbers and then proudly spout some subjective horseshit about a drivers personality as truth because that driver doesn't subscribe to Cast Iron Monthly

4 world championships would suggest he is in fact not that poo poo of a driver.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tbh I have less of an issue with the Prost angle than I do with its portrayal that Senna was some sort of divine entity of racing instead of a fast but flawed driver.

It’s version of events for 1989 are pretty loving distorted and border on fantasy.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I didn't like the implication that the cars Senna first drove were crocks. The TG183B and TG184 were good cars, if somewhat ungainly. Prost's 1980 McLarens were much worse.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

Tbh I have less of an issue with the Prost angle than I do with its portrayal that Senna was some sort of divine entity of racing instead of a fast but flawed driver.

It’s version of events for 1989 are pretty loving distorted and border on fantasy.

Over a single lap no-one was faster, but he had repeated moments of brain fade which gives Prost the edge for me.

Prost's 1986 Championship was absolutely incredible - you had Piquet, Mansell in one of the best cars of all time, and the 98T was also better.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Senna was definitely faster but I also think Prost’s qualifying record would’ve looked a lot more favourable if he didn’t have a four year stint where the team refused to provide qualifying engines and that magically changed when Senna came to the team.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
IIRC that was Porsche decision, no?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I thought it was Ron Dennis’ idea and done on cost grounds.

Again, Senna undeniably was faster but I think it’s easy to undersell how fast Prost was over one lap when there’s a 4 year gap where he had major disadvantage in qualifying.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

Well he'd never play checkers, in the UK we play draughts

Checkmate!

I don't know why that post of all things, has stuck with me for so drat long! I think it's hilarious.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Japanese Autosport reports that Bottas is talking to Renault because his Mercedes seat is under threat.

Dunno how credible that is.

Frond fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 22, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Frond posted:

Japanese Autosport reports that Bottas is talking to Renault because his Mercedes seat is under threat.

he can do better, no?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rinkles posted:

he can do better, no?

Real talk, I very much doubt it. He's rapidly been typecasted as a Mr. Team Player and good guy #2. If the media narrative that Mercedes are seriously considering Vettel is true, what better seat options exist for him?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Frond posted:

Don’t forget Toto is also his manager, so this seems unlikely.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The main reason I hope Seb doesn't retire is because goddamn does he rock a 'tash like a loving pro

haircuts are a tad hitlery though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thanks for all the suggestions - they've been filed in bookmarks for watching. I guess in addition to that, I'm trying to develop rooting interests and I came away from Drive to Survive with a lot of interesting impressions of the different drivers and teams.

I walked away with most favorable opinions of Sainz and McLaren. Sad to see him bounce for Ferrari but I guess you can't pass up big opportunities like that.

Verstappen seemed ok but archetypical young cocky dude--he owns it pretty well, but I loving hated Horner and his attitude toward his team and drivers. I remember a moment where they asked who his favorite driver was at the breakfast table and he was like "whoever wins" and his wife had a look of total disgust on her face that really resonated with me lol.

Vettel and Hamilton I thought were pretty likable (as well as Bottas and LeClerc) but Wolff rubbed me the wrong way in general and Ferrari just seemed like a hapless team coasting on name recognition and endlessly frustrated that Mercedes was loving them up regularly.

The Haas team principle (I forgot his name) I generally liked because he was just a perpetually disappointed dad with poo poo results (Grosjean :lol:).

Renault though...Cyril was just kinda pompous even though their cars were terrible. The news of Ricciardo bouncing after he was so smug stealing him from Red Bull is :discourse:.

I'm not sure what to think about Ricciardo. He seems talented and personable and I initially liked him a bit as a foil to Horner but he's rocketing from team to team. Can't blame him for leaving Renault though--they seem like a shitshow.

Williams :laffo: they aren't even lovable losers and its crazy to me that they were so good when I watched in the 90s.

Sauber wasn't covered much, nor was Toro Rosso but I came away with a positive view of TR.

Does all that seem about right?