Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

American McGay posted:

They called it lame. They didn't stand trial in front of a firing squad.

Yeah I read the post too man. I'm just making a post not accusing the guy of murder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Got to see all that pretty art and story content in nethack.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Lol looking forward to hearing your take after you learn about save states on officially licensed emulators. Save states make a ton of old crusty games objectively bette

As an rpg fan, there's no pride in being good at RPGs, it just means you've wasted more time than someone who isn't good at a given RPG

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nep-Nep posted:

I enjoy playing games and enjoying their design and overcoming their challenges legitimately, and sometimes I want to undermine the core gameplay as well. I wanted to finish xenoblade 2 but got real tired of it by the end so I turned on autobattle and nerfed the difficulty, and I don't regret it because I just wanted to get it over with and that made it go faster for me.

When you were Autoing, I studied the Blade Gacha.
When you were Disabling Button Prompts, I mastered the Skill Chain.
While you wasted your days at the World Tree in pursuit of Story, I cultivated Poppi QTπ.
And now that Torna is on fire and the Ardanians are at the gate, you have the audacity to post in the Switch thread?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

There's even a debug and "explore" mode in Nethack that a new player can use to learn about game mechanics/see endgame content where you can choose not to die if you want. Keeping a backup save file in Nethack is just a lame thing to do sorry.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If you make it 40 hours into XB2, then you deserve to just skip that bullshit.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean, it isn’t like, using the Konami code to get extra lives. It’s undermining a core element of the gameplay. It’s like beating super Mario bros with a game shark code that lets you fly over obstacles.

Eh, it's more like using save states. You still have to go through the obstacles, but you get to try each obstacle more quickly and don't have to retry from the start of the level each time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

There's even a debug and "explore" mode in Nethack that a new player can use to learn about game mechanics/see endgame content where you can choose not to die if you want. Keeping a backup save file in Nethack is just a lame thing to do sorry.

this guy has been posting on rec.games.roguelike.nethack for 28 years

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

KingSlime posted:

Lol looking forward to hearing your take after you learn about save states on officially licensed emulators. Save states make a ton of old crusty games objectively bette

As an rpg fan, there's no pride in being good at RPGs, it just means you've wasted more time than someone who isn't good at a given RPG

When I play old games I stick with the original save system and only use save states if they let me avoid load times without impacting gameplay, because engaging with the systems and mastering it is fun, while brute forcing my way through in order to Consume Content faster is boring and dumb.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Well you didn't hear it from me but the inside scoop is that all video games are lame and by extension so is every gamer on the planet

Snake Maze posted:

When I play old games I stick with the original save system and only use save states if they let me avoid load times without impacting gameplay, because engaging with the systems and mastering it is fun, while brute forcing my way through in order to Consume Content faster is boring and dumb.

That's cool man sounds like you have an opinion on how you personally best enjoy your electronic toys! I like playing turn based RPGs on hard because I'm an idiot who likes to be penalized with lost time/effort for choosing the wrong text line on a menu

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Arguing about how to enjoy single player games is lame.

That's my hot take.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

daermon posted:

That's my hot take.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Weedle posted:

this guy has been posting on rec.games.roguelike.nethack for 28 years

when i looked at rec.games.roguelike.nethack 24 years ago it was all a bunch of people screaming NO BINARIES!! at each other like it was the funniest poo poo ever

make of that what you will

Weedle
May 31, 2006

daermon posted:

That's my
hot take.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yes

No

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow massive indy game sale on the eShop today. Three pages! Going to take me a bit to sort through this. But instant purchase: Super Blood Hockey 66% off!

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/super-blood-hockey

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Oh wow massive indy game sale on the eShop today. Three pages! Going to take me a bit to sort through this. But instant purchase: Super Blood Hockey 66% off!

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/super-blood-hockey

I love the screenshots. Report back on how it is.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh... I just realized Clubhouse Games doesn't have go; it may be on a go board but it's actually gomoku, ie: tic tac toe but you have to link 5 instead of 3.

I guess go would have been a futile effort anyway, its AI would be a joke and nobody would likely play it in multiplayer without the ability to save games and review. I mean, it's my own fault for not paying close attention but I wish they hadn't used actual go pieces as the aesthetic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Argue posted:

Oh... I just realized Clubhouse Games doesn't have go; it may be on a go board but it's actually gomoku, ie: tic tac toe but you have to link 5 instead of 3.

I guess go would have been a futile effort anyway, its AI would be a joke and nobody would likely play it in multiplayer without the ability to save games and review. I mean, it's my own fault for not paying close attention but I wish they hadn't used actual go pieces as the aesthetic.

Your fault for what? Did you preorder it or something?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

I was also tricked by this when I saw Gomoku. Go would be much better, but I think too abstract for this collection.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
has anyone tried Voxelgram? https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/voxelgram-switch/

Looks like 3D picross and it's on sale for under $6, I think I'll give it a shot

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

has anyone tried Voxelgram? https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/voxelgram-switch/

Looks like 3D picross and it's on sale for under $6, I think I'll give it a shot

I just almost bought this sight unseen. If it's remotely good do say, on sale or full price I'd get it. I like Picross but not like THAT much. Picross 3D though I just :love:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

I love the screenshots. Report back on how it is.

Ok, Super Blood Hockey trip report: This game is freaking amazing! It plays essentially like Ice Hockey from the NES with one crucial difference. In Ice Hockey a fight would happen every once in a while and the team that started it would lose a player as a penalty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXVFCfBWoQ&t=144s

In Super Blood Hockey the fights are not automatic, its a little beat-em-up mini game and the team that wins the fight gets the power play. There are no penalties in Super Blood Hockey, just players too injured to play :black101: It lives up the the title "super" as well. Ice Hockey on NES was a simple game with only a few modes and like 5 teams. Super Blood Hockey has a ton of extra modes and challenges, online play, and a career mode that plays like a rogue-like (players have permadeath :v:). But best of all the soundtrack is fantastic. I think it was made using the NES chip tunes, its very retro 8-bit. At $6 Canadian Dollars I rate this game 10/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9roUcGx0qpY

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 21, 2020

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

Ok, Super Blood Hockey trip report: This game is freaking amazing! It plays essentially like Ice Hockey from the NES with one crucial difference. In Icy Hockey a fight would happen every once in a while and the team that started it would lose a player as a penalty:

In Super Blood Hockey the fights are not automatic, its a little beat-em-up mini game and the team that wins the fight gets the power play. There are no penalties in Super Blood Hockey, just players too injured to play :black101: It lives up the the title "super" as well. Ice Hockey on NES was a simple game with only a few modes and like 5 teams. Super Blood Hockey has a ton of extra modes and challenges, online play, and a career mode that plays like a rogue-like (players have permadeath :v:). But best of all the soundtrack is fantastic. I think it was made using the NES chip tunes, its very retro 8-bit. At $6 Canadian Dollars I rate this game 10/10

I bought this when it came out and had a blast at first but after a couple of hours I felt that I’ve seen it all. Even played an entire season. So worth a couple of bucks but don’t expect to play it for a very long time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was Hiroshi Yamauchi's one wish, for there to be a video game version of Go

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
What the golf is a national treasure, bought on a whim last night and I love it. Don't want to give too much away, but would recommend not finding out too much before you play, it's very visually funny. You can replay sections for dofferent objectives, there's trophies for 100 percenting an area etc etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Star posted:

I bought this when it came out and had a blast at first but after a couple of hours I felt that I’ve seen it all. Even played an entire season. So worth a couple of bucks but don’t expect to play it for a very long time.

I expect I will get a decent amount of enjoyment from couch multiplayer. I'll report back if I can get any of my friends to play it with me :v:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rutibex posted:

Ok, Super Blood Hockey trip report: This game is freaking amazing! It plays essentially like Ice Hockey from the NES with one crucial difference. In Ice Hockey a fight would happen every once in a while and the team that started it would lose a player as a penalty:

Wait, I thought this game didn't have online multiplayer?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

Yeah sorry I was incorrect, only local multiplayer :(

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Star posted:

Would it have held your interest longer-term if you had human opponents, or is the core gameplay loop not adequately satisfying?

I'm trying to develop the basketball equivalent of this and probably should be paying attention to releases in this space.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pijeus posted:

What the golf is a national treasure, bought on a whim last night and I love it. Don't want to give too much away, but would recommend not finding out too much before you play, it's very visually funny. You can replay sections for dofferent objectives, there's trophies for 100 percenting an area etc etc.

What’s different from the mobile version? I loved it when I played on Apple Arcade.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hammer Bro. posted:

Would it have held your interest longer-term if you had human opponents, or is the core gameplay loop not adequately satisfying?

I'm trying to develop the basketball equivalent of this and probably should be paying attention to releases in this space.

I played some with my partner and her family and it was fun but I think that basically the game was just a bit too simple. Like in the beginning I lost to the AI with like 0-5 but after just 2-3 hours I could go undefeated through a season. There was no real progression or feeling that there were several more steps to master.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s different from the mobile version? I loved it when I played on Apple Arcade.

Not a clue, I didn't know it was a mobile game before. Given how most mobile ports are I don't think they'll have done much new though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I just almost bought this sight unseen. If it's remotely good do say, on sale or full price I'd get it. I like Picross but not like THAT much. Picross 3D though I just :love:

trip report: played the tutorial and the first 10 puzzles, and I like it! Controls felt incredibly awkward at first but once I got used to them they aren't bad. Inverting both axes and turning off a setting where it auto hides layers helped me a lot.

Definitely seems worth the $6. It has 170 puzzles plus a procedurally generated puzzle mode that I haven't tried yet, so it should keep me busy for a while.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This took me a hot minute to get my head around and the controls can be weird but wow yeah this rules.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Safari Disco Lion posted:

This took me a hot minute to get my head around and the controls can be weird but wow yeah this rules.

gey muckle mowser posted:

trip report: played the tutorial and the first 10 puzzles, and I like it! Controls felt incredibly awkward at first but once I got used to them they aren't bad. Inverting both axes and turning off a setting where it auto hides layers helped me a lot.

Definitely seems worth the $6. It has 170 puzzles plus a procedurally generated puzzle mode that I haven't tried yet, so it should keep me busy for a while.

Done. Thank you for your service.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Anyone tried the new WWI airplane game?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It was Hiroshi Yamauchi's one wish, for there to be a video game version of Go

...and his wish came true with the release of Splatoon on the wii U.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LionEyez posted:

Don't mind me, just lurking. I always loved playing Jones in the fast lane (I think I recall playing it in black and white on an old IBM?). Just wanted to say there's already game just like it on Switch called No Time to Relax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alS-UTHuYcI

This is sweet! Very clearly inspired, looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

Lol @ playing for North Korea and the anit-aircraft gun execution for losing at 0:48.