Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

Lovecraft was a hateful poo poo, but also politically unconnected, powerless, and poor. His work's public domain. His racist works are on full display. He's easy to call out. He also had massive psychological problems.

By all accounts, he was remarkably supportive of other writers despite his own struggles, and in ways that many of his more successful contemporaries weren't.

It's almost like most human beings aren't either paragons or monsters, but mixtures of the two...

It is the authors job to create works which transcend themselves and that is a very low bar for some people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Right, so I'd pick the Doctor to be the Doctor, then I'd have all of the companions. Phew, that was tough, but I got there in the end.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

14 Captain Jacks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

12, Donna, Jack, Romana and Nardole

(or would 13 be more interesting with this party?)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hartnell, Bill, Ace, and Susan

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thirteen, Rory, and then eight Captains Jack.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

11, Rory, Amy, and 4 points spare that someone else can have as I've already recreated the best team tardis and dont want to mess with success. Or I might add mickey, K-9 and captain jack just because. I can only assume that Captain Jack is only 1 point because the person making up the graphic wanted everyone to take at least one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Eh, I think it worked fine on screen at normal speed.

Also, in response to Edward Mass, I disagree that it's difficult to write a show about time travel without deifying past figures, but it's probably hard to do it with a beloved BBC property when Winston Churchill is still seen as a national hero by people of all parties in the UK.

Also, consider that many of the people who write Doctor Who may not be aware of Churchill's role in atrocities, or (in the worst case) may actually think that his being a good war leader makes up for them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In regards to the 14 point rule, remember that the Doctor doesn't follow rules and will do whatever the hell they feel like.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, "Winston Churchill was bad" is a fringe view in the UK generally, even though it's completely accurate. We're taught in primary school that he saved the country. I guess the analogous thing would be how controversial it can be in the USA to point out that the founding fathers owned slaves? But that's more well-known in the US generally, simply because slavery is widely taught at high school level in the USA, while the brutality Britain enacted on the Indian subcontinent is only taught in tertiary education in the UK.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Six, War, and Lucie and no I don't care she's not in the list

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Chokes McGee posted:

Six, War, and Lucie and no I don't care she's not in the list

Along those lines: Two, Four, Jamie, and Romana I (who is not in the list)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

River and Romana to operate the TARDIS properly, plus Yasmin, Clara, and Susan.

The Doctor can catch up later.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to the 14 point rule, remember that the Doctor doesn't follow rules and will do whatever the hell they feel like.

So you've picked eleven, eh?

My team: 8, 10 crossover with Rose and Micky as companions, because I don't budget for anything better. Donna as the companion.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/status/1263402045664645125

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The C.Bakes logo has a weird barrel distortion that makes me wonder if for the title sequence it was shot off a CRT monitor for some reason. It's definitely not there on the Davison titles.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Astroman posted:

14 Captain Jacks.

You just know there is a major 'fixed point' that is just a big ole' Jack orgy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The console room only appears once in Pertwee's last season too.

Haven't watched much of Pertwee's run, how often does his car appear?
And like, where did he park it?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 21, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

happyhippy posted:

Haven't watched much of Pertwee's run, how often does his car appear?
And like, where did he park it?

He had two cars! Bessie, who appears in a lot of stories, and the Whomobile, which is in two.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/LiverpoolGirl72/status/1263473157828161536?s=20

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

It's... it's smaller on the inside! :monocle:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yay! More War Master!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1263500227102810112?s=20

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean the best possible line up is pretty easy to figure out.

Brigadier, Jack, Jamie, Romana, K9, Rose, Donna.

If you had one extra point you could swap out Rose for Sarah Jane Smith and it goes without saying that Susan and K9 are free to swap.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/colinmcfarlane/status/1263562851744133127?s=20

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ohhhh, interesting.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Reaction when his son in law sees this:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I've always heard rumors, but is there any article or anything that does a good job explaining Eccleston's exit and why he didn't come back for the anniversary special?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Toshimo posted:

I've always heard rumors, but is there any article or anything that does a good job explaining Eccleston's exit and why he didn't come back for the anniversary special?

I don't have an article, but iirc he was dissatisfied with how the show was being ran and left the show (broke contract too?). He claimed the BBC then blacklisted him in the industry and kept that chip on his shoulder.

I'm sure someone with a better memory will add/correct this for me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Shiftypenguin posted:

I don't have an article, but iirc he was dissatisfied with how the show was being ran and left the show (broke contract too?). He claimed the BBC then blacklisted him in the industry and kept that chip on his shoulder.

This might be broad-strokes true, but Eccleston himself looks at it differently these days.

His relatively recent autobiography confirmed he was in a really unhealthy place at the time. Which is in large part why he's been so reluctant to publicly acknowledge any Doctor Who stuff until fairly recently, it was inextricably tied to a really dark part of his life. It was a 'you were really hot in that time where you were undereating to an unhealthy degree' kinda thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

It's... it's smaller on the inside! :monocle:

It just curves behind him and opens up into a big ol' console room, clearly! If you listen carefully, you can hear Tegan snapping at him to close the door and stop the draft coming in :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Underwater Menace isn't particularly good, is it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've seen it (the recon, obviously) a handful of times in my life and still all I can really remember about it is that there's a mad scientist in Atlantis who wants to sink the planet or something, and many repeated shots of people in bad merman costumes swimming.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Underwater Menace isn't particularly good, is it

Blasphemy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shiftypenguin posted:

He always had a contract for only one season, and very early on in filming he had a dispute with director Keith Boak (who never again worked on the series) and informed the producers that he was not going to return for more.

The BBC claimed that he had quit the show (instead of acknowledging the reality that he was only on a one-year deal), and it infuriated him.

He very strongly considered returning for the 50th special, but decided against it after not liking Moffat's pitch. (The funny thing is, at one point, literally Jenna Coleman was the only person under contract to do the special, they hadn't gotten to terms with Smith or Tennant or Hurt yet. Imagine that, a Doctor Who 50th anniversary special without a Doctor.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Eric Roberts starring in MASTER!*

*The exclamation point is part of the title

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1263862288060121089?s=20

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/master-2263

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 22, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Have fun with this Target cover maker!

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I'm choosing to believe that they wrote Vienna into this purely so they could have Chase Masterson In the cast

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1263968141081706496?s=20

quote:

The Master's finally done it. He's won. He summons his other selves to a celebration of his ultimate victory. And they come - from across time and dimensions. But he's forgotten to invite someone. And Missy's not happy.

Has the Master really conquered the universe? Or has something more awful been unleashed? Something that even all the Masters cannot stop?

Missy is determined to reveal the truth. Because one fact about the Master's existence never changes. No-one can trust the Master.

Not even the Master.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Trust No One Not Even Yourself But It's A Line Of All The Masters Backstabbing One Another

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1263843307878260742

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Who is Milo Parker? It looks like his only BF credit is this story and he's 18 years old. Is he another BF-only Master? I would guess he's far too young to be a sound-alike for Delgado.