Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, you're forgetting the part where shortly after Hamsterdam went public, the federal government sent a high level official to tell them to shut it down if they didn't want their funding pulled. The power of local officials to enact real change is limited, if they do anything too radical then the people who hold real power have the tools to shut them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ruddiger posted:

After seeing that pic of McNulty’s actor mustachioed up, I think he would’ve done a way better job playing Franco’s role in The Deuce.

Franco really was the weakest link in a great cast. He played not just one, but two characters I could not give a poo poo less about. Maggie Gyllenhaal was incredible though, my favorite role she's ever done.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Laterite posted:

Hamsterdam was just another form of juking the stats

Nah, Bunny had to hide the Hamsterdam stats because once they came out the whole operation was blown. The stats stood out too much in a good way (crime stopped everywhere else).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nah, Bunny had to hide the Hamsterdam stats because once they came out the whole operation was blown. The stats stood out too much in a good way (crime stopped everywhere else).

If I remember right, doesn't he actually make a point of giving them clean stats BEFORE Hamsterdam that aren't in any way finessed? So Rawls and Burrell see him with horrific (but accurate) stats and read him the riot act, then after that he does Hamsterdam and brings them his new stats also clean (sans the fact he's dumped all the dealers and junkies into one spot and isn't making any arrests there) and they initially accuse him of making poo poo up because things are TOO good now?

The only hiding that I recall was Hamsterdam itself, where there were no stats to give anyway, and also Carver shifting the dead body out of Hamsterdam in hopes of not ruining Colvin's experiment.

Regardless of all that, Colvin's initial thing had zero mindset of doing anything with the collection dealers/junkies short of removing them from the picture. The Deacon gives him poo poo for just shoving them in one place and then doing nothing else, and Colvin has to be shamed into allowing in counselors and public health people etc. His whole idea was to sweep it all under the rug in an entirely different way to how the PD was sweeping poo poo under the rug via the juked stats. It was a major moral failing on his part initially, he just wanted to retire feeling like parts of his territory were better off now. But a big part of the whole thing was that the other poo poo they were doing wasn't working either and actively wrecking their ability to do much of anything else since they spent so much time fighting this bullshit "war".

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 17, 2020

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
even though i know i don't like crab, somehow every time people hang out eating huge piles of crab on the wire i want to eat crab

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

even though i know i don't like crab, somehow every time people hang out eating huge piles of crab on the wire i want to eat crab

Crab is good, however creating an awful mess and shredding your fingers getting to the meat is a pain.
There is symbolism in there or something, probably.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Same, except for when bunk eats crab gut. That drives the urges right out.

I also get a little queasy thinking about the smell generated by two cops eating a greasy pile of crabs in an interrogation room. Maybe it’s a psychological trick.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's been a while but I found myself wondering - are all the detectives more or less the same rank in season 1 or are there differences in seniority within the detective role more subtle than moving onto sergeant, lieutenant etc?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same, except for when bunk eats crab gut. That drives the urges right out.

This is also revolting to me. Eating that stuff is like eating the garbage of the garbage.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

This is also revolting to me. Eating that stuff is like eating the garbage of the garbage.

it gives me visceral memories of eating lobster for the first time as a kid, not knowing exactly which parts you're supposed to be eating, and cracking open the torso (or whatever you call it on a lobster)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Someone said the wire is just chronicling the issues and isn’t attempting to be a visionary it that’s not really true. The wire does present solutions. The fact the solutions are insanely limited in scope and ultimately ineffective is a different matter. Though just chronicling something is fundamentally impossible. Everything is effected by your personal politics. Subconsciously or not

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I really love when Prez winces when Namond yells at him to beat him with his police stick.

It just shows such growth from that dickhead in the first season.

Fake Edit: “the dinks” is such a good intro. I love that they portray the subtle things the kids pick up just so they can get through a day.

Real edit: Dukie showing Prez how to cheat on the computer game, mirrors the dinks at the beginning of the episode.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 18, 2020

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The kids weren't learning the material, they were learning the system. Just like how the school goes to 'curriculum alignment.'

'B5 got the dinks' is one of my favorite lines in the series. It just cracks me up for some reason.

Also, "I want a Shrek slurpee Bernard, and some Krispy Kreme!" and "poo poo Calvin, you know I got the bingo tonight."

Also, "What the gently caress did you do that for? Now we short the nine?"

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Yeah but Cheese deserved it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Sentimental motherfucker just cost us money.

Deserve got nothing to do with it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
So I'm in the middle of another rewatch, and almost finished episode 10. I know what's coming up, and I'm still bothered by it; side note Rawls in episode 11 nails it.

Wallace getting dropped, although it sucked didn't bother me. Same with Bodie and D.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Syrian Lannister posted:

So I'm in the middle of another rewatch, and almost finished episode 10. I know what's coming up, and I'm still bothered by it; side note Rawls in episode 11 nails it.

Wallace getting dropped, although it sucked didn't bother me. Same with Bodie and D.

Yeah I got upset when Orlando got popped too :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Now this here?! This is some motherfucking BULLSHIT@!!!

I was watching The Wire on Amazon Prime very happily last night. I was at the end of Season 2, watching the last few episodes, and I was DEEPLY engaged. I mean... When you are at that part of the story, where they're ripping up the passports, and Frank is practically imprisoned already behind the fence of the Grain Pier before he goes to meet his death. So I am watching that, the AMAZING sequence set to Stelios Kazantzidis - Efuge Efuge, which is unbelievably fabulous music and I believe the only non-diegetic song used on the soundtrack, season-ending musical montages notwithstanding.

So I finish that episode up, and now it is 12:30 on the West Coast where I am. Oddly, instead of going to the finale which I wanted to see, I was kicked back to the list of episodes, and yet, for some weird reason it now says The Wire is no longer on Prime - in fact, I need to pay $15 to get a special HBO subscription to keep watching. And this had JUST fuckin' happened at midnight apparently. DURING MY REWATCH.

I find this deeply upsetting and while I know it is just business, it reeks. Does not make me want to pay corporate assholes more money to fuckin watch it

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's a loving bummer. I think HBO is showing some of their stuff for free on their app because of this corona virus bullshit.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The big difference to me in rewatches is that I had had a 60-80 hour job by the most recent time I watched the show and related more with the detectives than I ever thought I would.

God Hole posted:

me at 18: i have achieved full awareness
me at 19: oh, NOW I've achieved full awareness
20-23: crippling depression
me at 24: sigh. okay. I'm fully aware now.

narrator: no he wasn't

And at 34: c'mon liver, fail already.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Eifert Posting posted:

The big difference to me in rewatches is that I had had a 60-80 hour job by the most recent time I watched the show and related more with the detectives than I ever thought I would.

This sounds interesting. Could you elaborate? Like the high workloads? Juking the stats? Not answering the phone?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Mostly just them resentfuly plugging away at computers or typewriters and getting poo poo from family.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

kaworu posted:

Now this here?! This is some motherfucking BULLSHIT@!!!

I was watching The Wire on Amazon Prime very happily last night. I was at the end of Season 2, watching the last few episodes, and I was DEEPLY engaged. I mean... When you are at that part of the story, where they're ripping up the passports, and Frank is practically imprisoned already behind the fence of the Grain Pier before he goes to meet his death. So I am watching that, the AMAZING sequence set to Stelios Kazantzidis - Efuge Efuge, which is unbelievably fabulous music and I believe the only non-diegetic song used on the soundtrack, season-ending musical montages notwithstanding.

So I finish that episode up, and now it is 12:30 on the West Coast where I am. Oddly, instead of going to the finale which I wanted to see, I was kicked back to the list of episodes, and yet, for some weird reason it now says The Wire is no longer on Prime - in fact, I need to pay $15 to get a special HBO subscription to keep watching. And this had JUST fuckin' happened at midnight apparently. DURING MY REWATCH.

I find this deeply upsetting and while I know it is just business, it reeks. Does not make me want to pay corporate assholes more money to fuckin watch it

yeah i was in the middle of season 4 on a rewatch when i got kicked off it on Hulu. luckily you can get a week free of hbogo on Hulu, that should get me through the end.

Eifert Posting posted:

same yo. one line that hit me like a truck this time that i barely registered the first time: season 3 lester is talking to someone about barnard's weekly 200 mile trip down to west virginia to collect burner phones. he seems really upset, and when questioned about it he laments "i just really appreciate the discipline of it"

oof.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

God Hole posted:

yeah i was in the middle of season 4 on a rewatch when i got kicked off it on Hulu. luckily you can get a week free of hbogo on Hulu, that should get me through the end.

same yo. one line that hit me like a truck this time that i barely registered the first time: season 3 lester is talking to someone about barnard's weekly 200 mile trip down to west virginia to collect burner phones. he seems really upset, and when questioned about it he laments "i just really appreciate the discipline of it"

oof.

Remember when Lester dated a CI? Gooooood times.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aren't they still together at the conclusion of the show?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aces High posted:

aren't they still together at the conclusion of the show?

Yeah, all in all Lester had a pretty good ending.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lester is also hitting on her heavily while still active which I thought was going somewhere but nope it’s just a happy ending for them

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Bernard’s story of finding his mom dead always hits so hard. It’s crazy how much they can affect you with one scene like that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching Homicide. I don't mean to jump to conclusions after half an episode but it seems pretty great.

Andre Braugher :discourse:

Edit: Polito being fired on NBC's insistence sucks though, he is great.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 26, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

algebra testes posted:

I'm watching Homicide. I don't mean to jump to conclusions after half an episode but it seems pretty great.

Maybe the best episode in the entire series is the fifth ever so it's ok to jump to conclusions. The show opens really strong.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

algebra testes posted:

Is it finally streaming somewhere?

One thing that completely slipped my mind until my rewatch last month was the Munch cameo in S5.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
So did they film Omar’s death scene early in the final season and fill out the story? I just noticed in a rewatch that he doesn’t limp at all before getting shot in the convenience store. It just seemed odd.

Pimpcasso fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 28, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Throughout the course of the season he seemed to be slowly improving physically, but he's still noticeably limping when he passes the kids on his way to the store from memory.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Jerusalem posted:

Throughout the course of the season he seemed to be slowly improving physically, but he's still noticeably limping when he passes the kids on his way to the store from memory.

Omar is still using the mop crutch in Episode 7 around 47:43, when he comes up on Michael, Spider, and crew, Kenard says he's "Gimpy as a motherfucker" around 48:50.

Walking down the alley as Kenard and the little ones are torturing the cat, he's limping, but he's not using the mop crutch. (Episode 8, 13:30ish,) and Omar gets got 17 minutes in, give or take in the same episode.

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 28, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I've seen that moment debated to death, and I have to believe it really was just a filming flub.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

One thing that was always unclear to me was stringer's graveyard meeting with colvin and it could just be me not hearing it correctly. String asks Colvin that he hopes he can "keep that to five." Colvin replies "it's going to be a nickle at least," to which String says "Come on, man" and is upset. Does he want the minimum jail time for Avon so he's out of the way for just a few years?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

zenguitarman posted:

One thing that was always unclear to me was stringer's graveyard meeting with colvin and it could just be me not hearing it correctly. String asks Colvin that he hopes he can "keep that to five." Colvin replies "it's going to be a nickle at least," to which String says "Come on, man" and is upset. Does he want the minimum jail time for Avon so he's out of the way for just a few years?

Yeah he wants Avon in jail so that the war with Marlo can stop. I guess he figures that once Avon gets out of jail it will be five years later and they'll have an understanding with Marlo by then or will have solved that problem in a way other than war. And at that point he'll be fine with turning the reigns back over to Avon since both of them will be able to focus on business rather than a war.

It's a naive position since even if Avon goes to jail for a few years Marlo isn't going anywhere and once Avon gets out he's going to want to go right back after Marlo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah he wants Avon in jail so that the war with Marlo can stop. I guess he figures that once Avon gets out of jail it will be five years later and they'll have an understanding with Marlo by then or will have solved that problem in a way other than war. And at that point he'll be fine with turning the reigns back over to Avon since both of them will be able to focus on business rather than a war.

It's a naive position since even if Avon goes to jail for a few years Marlo isn't going anywhere and once Avon gets out he's going to want to go right back after Marlo.

For a guy like Marlo surviving any given year is far from guaranteed so I think Stringer is just betting that something will happen to him in that time.

Remember, he doesn't do things like Avon in Season 1 where he stays so under the radar that the cops don't even know he exists. For Marlo the status and visibility is the appeal of the whole thing and so he was always going to have a pretty limited amount of time on top.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Even more naive considering Slim's words later, "Once you're in it, you in it!"

Did Stringer think that with Avon in jail Marlo would just back off and let the Barksdales go back to the whole co-op setup and the quiet life? I doubt it, he would have been hitting every Barksdale corner that dared raise its head. The Barksdales and Stringer would have effectively been dead in the water long before Avon ever got back on the street.

Example 475 of Stringer not really understanding the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
You want it to be one way... but its that other way