Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MREBoy posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an MP3/audio player app that isn't Google Music that can play a specified folder of music or is able to create a playlist from said folder without having to add each song individually. Thanks !
VLC can play a folder with all its subfolders and once it has populated its 'currently playing' list with that, you can save that as a new playlist as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My corrupt phone is crashing more and more. I know I asked before but with product lines refreshing: any sub $200 phones worth looking into that work on cdma? I can just keep hard resetting this one for a few months if necessary

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

My corrupt phone is crashing more and more. I know I asked before but with product lines refreshing: any sub $200 phones worth looking into that work on cdma? I can just keep hard resetting this one for a few months if necessary

Like actual CDMA?

CDMA is kind of a dead standard and no one sells CDMA phones, pretty much every phone these days is compatible with all carriers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Could you do something like a cheap used Essential PH-1? I think that radio supports CDMA bands. I thought CDMA was totally dead, ie. no carriers support it anymore. A US thing maybe?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I see used Verizon Pixel 3As on Swappa for $190. Will probably be cheaper once the 4A is officially announced if you can wait.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

Could you do something like a cheap used Essential PH-1? I think that radio supports CDMA bands. I thought CDMA was totally dead, ie. no carriers support it anymore. A US thing maybe?

VZW discontinued CDMA at the end of 2019, but bigger picture is it doesn't even matter anymore. GSM/CDMA was really only relevant for 2g/3g, and now pretty much every phone just works

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Burden posted:

I see used Verizon Pixel 3As on Swappa for $190. Will probably be cheaper once the 4A is officially announced if you can wait.

Of course now you'll be waiting for 4a announcement until probably July.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like not only will the Pixel 4a be delayed until possibly July 2020, but the 64GB variant may not launch in the US which would explain the rumored $349 price tag.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-4a-launch-delayed-july/

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
32gb is an instapass

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Buff Hardback posted:

VZW discontinued CDMA at the end of 2019, but bigger picture is it doesn't even matter anymore. GSM/CDMA was really only relevant for 2g/3g, and now pretty much every phone just works

I frankly didn't realize that. I'm on Verizon and just assume I need cdma phones, that's not true anymore? I need to connect to some towers in the boonies a few times a year but I get 4g on them

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FistEnergy posted:

32gb is an instapass

The rumor is 128GB as only storage option. Goggles not going to ship a phone with 32GB of storage in 2020.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

The rumor is 128GB as only storage option. Goggles not going to ship a phone with 32GB of storage in 2020.

ok whew

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Twerk from Home posted:

*two days later*

Google: "With the coming of 5G, you can now store everything in the cloud and won't need more than 16 GB of on board storage."

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Uthor posted:

*two days later*

Google: "With the coming of 5G, you can now store everything in the cloud and won't need more than 16 GB of on board storage."
System takes up 16GB now, but 32 would be fine.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I could live with 32GB if I had to (did when I had a 5X and a Pixel XL) but the other day my extremely normie friend texts me and says he got a 3a, like I have, and his only complaint was the lack of an SD storage for all his family photos -- no animes, everyone we mocked is vindicated. (I did point him to check out whatever the free Google Photos storage deal you get with a 3a is.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I never had issues with the 64 GB on my Pixel 2 until my nieces got a hold of it and recorded a bunch of video. I can see people who record their kids have issues, but with just pics and music I never have issues.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My mid-range phone was a single model with 128gb storage and I'm coming up on two years of usage with 70gb still free, just music and pics with a handful of videos. :shrug:

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
The 4a delay sucks since I'm still limping along on a Nexus 6P and was hoping to upgrade in a couple of weeks. If pushed to July I don't know why (outside of price) you wouldn't just wait for the Sept/Oct Pixel 5 release instead. Looks like 3a's are down to $270 today and I'd probably look at that but my brother's 3a from last year is already having battery problem.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Supposedly the Pixel 4a delay is purely from a marketing standpoint as they're all ready to go and boxed up. It's just that Google thinks that it's better to launch later for whatever reason.

The Pixel 5's release is also delayed supposedly but that's due to the issues with Covid-19.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Guess with that delay I'll get my mom an OP7T then. I was wary of the 4a's supposedly small battery anyways but with her birthday in late June this'll be the route I go. Her Pixel 2 is pretty much shot. The battery doesn't last and somehow she has crazy bad burn in but she doesn't notice. Are there any other options or is the 7T probably the best bet?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1263510838494756873

Current rumor is August 6, 2020 for the Just Black variant and October 1, 2020 for Barely Blue.

Yeah... might as well pick up a Pixel 4 XL if they're cheap enough or wait to see if the Pixel 5 will release this year if those dates are true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They really need to take this opportunity to shift the mainline Pixel to a late spring/early summer launch.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I really think that this could potentially torpedo the Pixel line.

If 5 gets delayed it could very potentially be competing against the S21, with a midrange processor that was announced a year ago (sept 2019).

They really need to shift pixels to launching with Snapdragon, instead of launching just before that processor is obsoleted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They are never going to be able to launch with a new SoC as supplies are going to be gobbled up by Samsung. This is why, ultimately (along with long term support), they are going to move to their own SoC.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Where's my Quite Mint buds 2 google!?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The CDMA sunset is actually going to be something of a big deal, but not for phone service consumers. There's a whole lot of embedded old school devices that still use it; think security alarm systems, vending machines, some ATMs, a lot of wireless pos/debit pinpads, industrial monitoring equipment, etc. Don't know if it's still true but in Canada at least some of the old military equipment was on it as well.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Recommendations for a Samsung Galaxy S20+ screen protector? The one that comes default on the phone is peeling off on the sides and has some annoying air bubbles in a corner.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TTBF posted:

What's a good midrange phone available on Verizon in the states and which isn't gigantic? I'm moving on from an LG V30 which I like fine, although its GPS is very wonky and the battery does not last as long as I'd like.

I would prefer something small that could be operated in one hand as I don't watch video much on it and am usually just browsing the web, listening to music or playing a game on it.

The advice I got on this was the Pixel 4a but with that being delayed until August I need a different phone. Any suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TTBF posted:

The advice I got on this was the Pixel 4a but with that being delayed until August I need a different phone. Any suggestions?

The Pixel 3a? This article seems to indicate you can do so for fairly cheap.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Buff Hardback posted:

I really think that this could potentially torpedo the Pixel line.

If 5 gets delayed it could very potentially be competing against the S21, with a midrange processor that was announced a year ago (sept 2019).

They really need to shift pixels to launching with Snapdragon, instead of launching just before that processor is obsoleted.

If the pricing rumors are true they're not trying to compete against the S21 anyway.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Ugh a pixel 4a sounds perfect but they keep pushing it back as my phone continues to degrade. I'm using a rubber band to make sure it charges as otherwise the cord just falls right out. drat marketing majors :argh:

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 23, 2020

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
problem with cdma is that verizon (and sprint but that is going to get swiftly slaughtered by t-mobile which is good) uses a white list to allow a phone to be used with verizon, and verizon still uses cdma sim cards, yes they do use lte but if your phone is not on the whitelist in verizon, it won't connect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon's whitelist really doesn't have anything to do with CDMA anymore. They've been deploying phones without CDMA radios for awhile now.

Verizon whitelists because they are verizon and that's really not going to change no matter what.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bull3964 posted:

Verizon's whitelist really doesn't have anything to do with CDMA anymore. They've been deploying phones without CDMA radios for awhile now.

Verizon whitelists because they are verizon and that's really not going to change no matter what.

Yes, I understand, I am just mentioning that even though verizon isn't cdma anymore they keep the whitelist and cdma's sim cards as a "gently caress you".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What are you even referring to with "CDMA's SIM cards" though?

CDMA doesn't have SIM cards and Verizon hasn't used anything related to the CDMA system for activation for ages.

Verizon for all intents and purposes is a GSM carrier at this point. Just a GSM carrier that whitelists devices.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bull3964 posted:

What are you even referring to with "CDMA's SIM cards" though?

CDMA doesn't have SIM cards and Verizon hasn't used anything related to the CDMA system for activation for ages.

Verizon for all intents and purposed is a GSM carrier at this point. Just a GSM carrier that whitelists devices.

verizon uses R-UIM

Edit: or CSIM, or whatever it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CSIM is used on CDMA phones that have GSM radios in order to enable subscriber identity on the CDMA network when just swapping the sim.

But Verizon is no longer fielding new CDMA devices and have several in their lineup that lack CDMA radios altogether (along with a ton of unlocked options that lack CDMA). On purely GSM phones, CSIM isn't used at all.

CSIM is jut another application that Verizon has on their SIM cards, but GSM phones ignore it and it's not necessary to activate GSM devices. It's only there to activate the CDMA radios of devices that have them (which are fewer and fewer now.)

Anyways, what's I'm saying is CSIM factors exactly zero into phone compatibility in 2020. CSIM was something that was needed in the early LTE days to enable devices to move over to the CDMA network when they were out of LTE coverage, but once Verizon moved their primary activation to their LTE network and enabled VoLTE, it became vestigial. It still did something on phones with CDMA radios if they happened to stray outside of LTE range, but that footprint is tiny now. The ability to use CSIM isn't something that's required anymore.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 24, 2020

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Celexi posted:

Yes, I understand, I am just mentioning that even though verizon isn't cdma anymore they keep the whitelist and cdma's sim cards as a "gently caress you".

yeah cricket and boost going legit was a funny side effect of verizon going to LTE

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

yeah cricket and boost going legit was a funny side effect of verizon going to LTE

Boost legit? They don't support Pixels and refuse to even try...so my mother is stuck with her LG Tribute HD or whatever other awful phone they have physically at Walmart cause she doesn't trust buying a phone off the internet.

I set her up with Fi and am giving her my Pixel 2 XL so she can be on Fi then can upgrade to a Pixel 3a or something soon.

Even if they're "legit" they both still love pushing the low-end phones that are filled with bloatware with their iPhones and Galaxy phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Boost legit? They don't support Pixels and refuse to even try...so my mother is stuck with her LG Tribute HD or whatever other awful phone they have physically at Walmart cause she doesn't trust buying a phone off the internet.

I set her up with Fi and am giving her my Pixel 2 XL so she can be on Fi then can upgrade to a Pixel 3a or something soon.

Even if they're "legit" they both still love pushing the low-end phones that are filled with bloatware with their iPhones and Galaxy phones.

legit as in "not the carriers for stolen phones anymore"