Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
What if I'm right at 2007, what even am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:hfive:
:hfive:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Sometimes the funny picture is a post about how you've been on a dumb dead forum for over a decade, but still look down on Reddit for being garbage.

We are all the joke.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

What if I'm right at 2007, what even am I?
Realistically?

mid to late 30s

Moderately successful

Older, wiser, less edgy

Realtalk: there was awhile recently where I felt like the forums had shifted too far towards being PC and "safe". Then I fell down a helldump time portal and holy moly it was extremely cringe-worthy. I forgot how juvenile and obnoxiously homophobic the humor used to be. Can't lie, some of it was still funny, but it is good we moved on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dialhforhero posted:

I would imagine most people from SA pre 2007 are now hardcore redditors.

I was going to say ‘and not in the good communities’ but it’s reddit so I don’t know what the gently caress a good community is/could be.

I don't think they went to any one place, people just sort of drifted away as their interest changed or were no longer welcome on the site and they formed other communities where what they wanted was welcome.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't even own a reddit. :smug:

I can't be reddit, I have a colour TV

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i never seen a goon in real life and i hope to god i never do

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DOMDOM posted:

Realistically?

mid to late 30s

Moderately successful

Older, wiser, less edgy
Well, 3 out of 5 ain't bad

e: hey wait I'm an 06 woo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DOMDOM posted:

Realistically?

mid to late 30s

Moderately successful

Older, wiser, less edgy

Realtalk: there was awhile recently where I felt like the forums had shifted too far towards being PC and "safe". Then I fell down a helldump time portal and holy moly it was extremely cringe-worthy. I forgot how juvenile and obnoxiously homophobic the humor used to be. Can't lie, some of it was still funny, but it is good we moved on.

The reality is, a friend purchased this account for me, but I only ever read the front page for years and years, then got super bored one day and dipped into the forums (which were unwelcoming as gently caress, but I persisted). I too read all the archived hell dump stuff, and holy moley, this used to be a very different place.

I don't own a reddit either.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Yeah. I mean, I've been around here for 10+ years, too. I also did go to a few goon meets and I actually got to know a then-girlfriend through these here forums, but even around 2011 (when all of this transpired) we had the good sense not to share any embarrassing photos and most of the people I met were quite nice, if a bit off-centre. The most Extremely Online goons tended to be from before that era, with the attendant edgelordships and all that, but even then SA did play a role in making me reconsider a lot of my previously unreflexive centre-left political views, propelling me into hard-left territory.

Anyway, content:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

i never seen a goon in real life and i hope to god i never do

Don't turn off your monitor

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To Budly go where no best friend of man has ever gone before.

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!

Agents are GO! posted:

Glad to be an exception.
Fellow '04 coming out of hiding to say I'm still here. Wow.

Funny, sad image:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

But...why Heino.

Also, allow me to retort.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I hadn't checked my profile in years and when I did, it was pretty embarrassing and I had to fix it right away.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

What does dog need with a starship?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I say 2007 or earlier because there was a pretty serious cultural ahift around 2012-13ish where ‘joking’ racism, ‘joking’ bigotry, alt-right sentiment, and ‘edgelord’ behavior was getting banned left and right.

This is also when Reddit and 4chan started to absolutely explode.

I anecdotally feel like people that got banned or left from this form did so because they were a part of that culture amd Reddit and 4chan welcomed them with open arms.

I also say people from 2007 and earlier because the internet as a whole was a wild west in that behavioral sense and it started to tame and regulate in the United States during the Obama presidency, which is PROBABLY where most forum users come from.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GhostDog posted:

:golfclap: for the post

:allears: for the av combo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

GhostDog posted:

:iiam:

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

dialhforhero posted:

I say 2007 or earlier because there was a pretty serious cultural ahift around 2012-13ish where ‘joking’ racism, ‘joking’ bigotry, alt-right sentiment, and ‘edgelord’ behavior was getting banned left and right.

I soured on meets at one of the gooncamps when a group of fyad superstars showed up and didn't seem to understand that this is even less funny in person.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't have the means to go to Internet meetups until after goonmeets stopped being a thing like they were back in the day, but I've met a few goons in real life. The weird thing is that I'm like exponentially more active on here than any of them.

DOMDOM posted:

There was definitely a period where everyone seemed to do nothing but post clickbait news articles and act really angry about everything, maybe around 2013 or so. Then GBS swung way too far in the other direction. I think things are getting back to an okay place now that we're all old as poo poo and the worst people finally left.

As lovely as old SA was in retrospect, the fact that there was a paywall keeping out bots, enforced spelling, and any moderation at all put the forums heads and shoulders above 90% of the early 2000s Internet.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 18:30 on May 21, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

I went to many gooncamps, from the second to like the eighth or ninth. I'm not in many pictures though.

hell yeah :hfive: Wish I still had that pic of dorquemada flapping tree branches at cows to get them away from his car lol

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dialhforhero posted:

I anecdotally feel like people that got banned or left from this form did so because they were a part of that culture amd Reddit and 4chan welcomed them with open arms.

I also say people from 2007 and earlier because the internet as a whole was a wild west in that behavioral sense and it started to tame and regulate in the United States during the Obama presidency, which is PROBABLY where most forum users come from.

The real cool dudes are from 2001

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GhostDog posted:

Fantastic

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Now THAT'S what I call a mobile games pitch. Combine harem dating game with Factorio logistics management? Goddamn

If you make it Star wars theme you'll catch every goddamn nerd on the planet

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

I was honestly surprised in one thread where I was asking how to circumvent my organizations IT security, thinking goons would be into it, but instead I got chewed a new one. I think a lot of goons ended up in IT for some reason ...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Yeah. I mean, I've been around here for 10+ years, too. I also did go to a few goon meets and I actually got to know a then-girlfriend through these here forums, but even around 2011 (when all of this transpired) we had the good sense not to share any embarrassing photos and most of the people I met were quite nice, if a bit off-centre. The most Extremely Online goons tended to be from before that era, with the attendant edgelordships and all that, but even then SA did play a role in making me reconsider a lot of my previously unreflexive centre-left political views, propelling me into hard-left territory.

Anyway, content:

Heino's having the last laugh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heino

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

oldmandon posted:

Fellow '04 coming out of hiding to say I'm still here. Wow.

Funny, sad image:

Take a sip!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/PaintressApril/status/1241677510930124801

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

teen witch posted:

I’ve been to a few in Stockholm and have met some really nice people and gotten drunk? Am I doing this wrong? Am I not to socialize?

Even the Gooniest Swede is at least 2% cooler than the average American.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pro fuckin' click.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think this is the original but I'd love to be proven wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBXJfJoKLnA

Creativity points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqcsRMlc0_s

The first COVID remix, I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0PBg_3iVBw

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Edit: ^^^Bless you sir. Apparently its an older bit than I thought.

God dammit, there is another one of those with a bagel or a donut, and my google abilities are failing me. Por que?

fishing with the fam has a new favorite as of 22:49 on May 21, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I swear they used that joke in Trailer Park Boys but I can't remember when or who it was.

Probably shouldn't exclusively watch that show when I'm on the liquor.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I swear they used that joke in Trailer Park Boys but I can't remember when or who it was.

Probably shouldn't exclusively watch that show when I'm on the liquor.

Rookie move. Gotta get some chronic in there too for the full effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007