Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Ground Zeroes has a reversible cover, and you better believe I switched that on day one. Nothing for Phantom Pain though, sadly.

holy poo poo. is that in the uk version? its not on my ps3 version at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not on my PAL version anyway. I've never seen the black case either

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo. is that in the uk version? its not on my ps3 version at least.

I assume all the NTSC-U PS4 editions have it, but I don't know for sure.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not on my PAL version anyway. I've never seen the black case either

I just did a quick image search for it. Maybe the PC version has a black case? Mine is the standard blue case, anyway.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Policenaut posted:

https://twitter.com/nextlvlracing/status/1263174678853513216

Next Level makes high-end gaming peripherals for racing games like cockpits, stands, etc, and uhhhhh they just kind of have a Gran Turismo 7 here. No reason.

i shrugged this off when i read it because i thought the version on ps4 was gt7 but its not apparently? its gt6? :shrug: so uhh lol quite the leak. that june ps5 event is gonna be unreal. i wonder if they will have the new psvr too.

fuckkkk they might if re8 is crossgen. :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lol America.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
American box art looks that way because almost all of our entertainment industry has been cornered by the same big 4 marketing firms since 1989 and those bro-jobs have been huffing the same brown paper bag of farts for the last 25 years. These are idiots who believe the only correct way to market games is as a cinematic experience which is why all our US box art just looks like movie posters with the whitest or lightest skinned character front and center. If you’re a big company and you hire a big West Coast or NYC marketing firm, you’re getting one of these.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i shrugged this off when i read it because i thought the version on ps4 was gt7 but its not apparently? its gt6? :shrug: so uhh lol quite the leak. that june ps5 event is gonna be unreal. i wonder if they will have the new psvr too.

fuckkkk they might if re8 is crossgen. :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

GT Sport isn't GT7, GT6 was PS3.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

GT Sport isn't GT7, GT6 was PS3.

ahhh thats why im confused.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vikar Jerome posted:

ahhh thats why im confused.

Technically Sport is the 15th GT!

I mean if you count all the Concept/Prologue versions you could buy and GT PSP and stuff

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Throw your blowy up stuff at him and spook the horse.

That’s Gyobu. Genichiro is at the top of Castle Ashina.

3rd phase is the easiest once you can get there quickly, he has no armor !

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

the experience on my ssd-less pro definitely doesn't qualify as snappy

It's definitely an improved experience.

The best analogy I can think of, have you ever used a Windows PC that was kind of low on RAM and had a certain sluggishness to it, and then doubled the RAM and suddenly everything just behaved better? It kind of feels like that. There are still load times in games and load times in general, and they're not massively different, but it is noticeable enough that it feels a lot better. I wonder how an SSHD compares. I'm kind of inclined to tell people to just get an SSD for their console, even a 500 gig or 1tb if they can't go whole hog on the 2tb. At least, assuming they can't wait until they get a PS5.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I remember buying this from Staples as a young lad, was so excited.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Just got around to checking that Ghost of Tsushima demo, still don't have a firm idea of what it really is. Seems like a lot of AC: Odyssey with a mix of RDR2, leaning more towards the formers's open-world systems but with a minimalist approach to exploration and gameplay.

People have been asking for a Japan-focused AC game for ages, so this perhaps this will fill that niche. The combat is supposedly very lethal, meaning that enemies (and you) will die in a handful of strikes.

Nate Fox of Sucker Punch posted:

One of the things that we strive for really, really diligently is to keep swords lethal. To feel like those samurai movie battles, enemies have to die with a few strokes of a katana, otherwise it's not a katana, it's a Nerf tube. That means that when they hit you with swords, you also are going to die in a few strikes. It's very challenging.

What I felt like was missing from the demo was any sense of the greater world the game is set in; there were almost no interactions with other NPCs outside of the combat.

I'm sure it made more sense to release this in 2018 but then all the delays and setbacks happened, so it'll have to compete for people's attention in a time when a bunch of PS5 stuff is gonna have a huge marketing blitz.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

univbee posted:

It's definitely an improved experience.

The best analogy I can think of, have you ever used a Windows PC that was kind of low on RAM and had a certain sluggishness to it, and then doubled the RAM and suddenly everything just behaved better? It kind of feels like that. There are still load times in games and load times in general, and they're not massively different, but it is noticeable enough that it feels a lot better. I wonder how an SSHD compares. I'm kind of inclined to tell people to just get an SSD for their console, even a 500 gig or 1tb if they can't go whole hog on the 2tb. At least, assuming they can't wait until they get a PS5.
When I played RDR2 with the SSD attached to my PS4, the load times were less than half of when I had it on the regular HDD

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
That's good that the developers expect you to die within a few strikes in Ghost of Tsushima since I didn't get a sense of that from the demo. If there's a difficulty setting that means you're dead in one or two, I'll opt for that. I would have liked a better sense of what activities are in the game beyond clearing out Mongol camps. I know the demo they showed off a couple years ago was a side quest, but it seemed weird to me to showcase stuff like a photo mode or Kurosawa filter when we don't know much about gameplay.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

JBP posted:

Same. I saw it moving and still nearly bought it. Shinkawa can sell anything.

I can’t believe Square decided to make a Front Mission spin-off game. (Well I guess I can believe that and can’t believe FF7R actually turned out good). The only people (including me) who care enough about Front Mission to be excited about a new “Front Mission” game just want another mech strategy game.

I just want another mech game that’s not a Gundam fighting game, micro transaction filled trash, or Enter the Breach (which is great, I’ve just played it to death). No Armored Core allowed for Bloodborne and Sekiro, but Square really has had a long run of stinkers between FF12 and the FF7 remake.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was going to grumble about how a colour game being turned to greyscale isn't true black and white but whatever. Overal it's very cool for a game to have different visual modes and even better that developing the Kurosawa filter made Sucker Punch realize what needed to be changed from a colourblind perspective (e.g. sucks when icons are differentiated only by colour and not by shape). Improved accessibility for some, clearer visual design for everyone!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pulcinella posted:

I can’t believe Square decided to make a Front Mission spin-off game. (Well I guess I can believe that and can’t believe FF7R actually turned out good). The only people (including me) who care enough about Front Mission to be excited about a new “Front Mission” game just want another mech strategy game.

I just want another mech game that’s not a Gundam fighting game, micro transaction filled trash, or Enter the Breach (which is great, I’ve just played it to death). No Armored Core allowed for Bloodborne and Sekiro, but Square really has had a long run of stinkers between FF12 and the FF7 remake.

On the off chance that you haven't tried it yet Daemon x Machina is a really fun AC4/Answer-inspired high speed mecha game from former AC devs. Only on PC and Switch though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What role will the Mongol empire's Korean vassals have in Ghosts of Tsushima, I wonder?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lobok posted:

I was going to grumble about how a colour game being turned to greyscale isn't true black and white but whatever. Overal it's very cool for a game to have different visual modes and even better that developing the Kurosawa filter made Sucker Punch realize what needed to be changed from a colourblind perspective (e.g. sucks when icons are differentiated only by colour and not by shape). Improved accessibility for some, clearer visual design for everyone!

Yeah, there's no good reason for games nowadays not to have tons of accessibility options, especially ones with a AAA budget. I can't see myself using the Kurosawa filter unless I do a second playthrough, but I did enjoy the black-and-white filter in LA Noire. I can't help but feel bad for the art teams though, like I'm pissing on their years of hard work somehow. I'm still kinda bummed Phantom Pain didn't get that VHS filter Kojima was working on, apparently it was too resource-intensive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I can't help but feel bad for the art teams though, like I'm pissing on their years of hard work somehow.

Down that road lies madness because if you really think about it there's probaby a ton of stuff in every game you never see or otherwise experience that teams of people worked on. If you buy the game you've done enough already. Experience the game how you like.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can you transfer games from an external drive to an internal drive? A friend of mine got a new drive to put in her PS4 and an external bay to put the old drive in to use as external storage. Will she be able to remove the old drive, put the new drive in and then transfer all her stuff from the old (now external) to the new (internal) drive?

Edit: I'm asking because her internet is butt and wants to try to avoid having to download all the stuff again. They will but if it can be avoided then super duper.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 21, 2020

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m a complete dumbass who 1) genuinely adores open world games more than anything and 2) is a disgusting weeb fart man so I will definitely be buying the samurai game even though I honestly haven’t kept up on it at all.

They’re typically “buy on day one” devs for me anyway. I always get real hooked on their games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Can you transfer games from an external drive to an internal drive? A friend of mine got a new drive to put in her PS4 and an external bay to put the old drive in to use as external storage. Will she be able to remove the old drive, put the new drive in and then transfer all her stuff from the old (now external) to the new (internal) drive?

Edit: I'm asking because her internet is butt and wants to try to avoid having to download all the stuff again. They will but if it can be avoided then super duper.

As far as I know, you can transfer all your stuff from the internal (let's call it A) to a new drive (connected via USB, known as B) to make it the new primary, then you pop out A, plug B inside and then you need to format A as external. I don't know if I explained myself well but in my case, I'll get next month a SSD for my PS4 but I already have a big 4TB external and I'll send everything to it, but as I'm gonna plug a complete new internal and not "cloning" it, I'll need to install the OS on it.

If you want to "clone" internal to external and then swap them, I think univbee posted time ago that you can. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started Last of Us remastered. Like 3-4 hour in, it's pretty good thus far even though I had really high expectations. The atmosphere and the world feels really great, reminds me like the best of Walking Dead and I Am Legend in terms of setting. The presentation and production is top notch as usual for Naughty Dog, although I just played Uncharted 4 but that is their newer game so it's a bit better there. Also there is actual gameplay unlike Uncharted which is the most generic TPS ever. The survival/stealth mechanics are nothing new but the atmosphere ND puts in the game really elevates it.

That being said so far I feel like the story up to this point has been fairly predictable. The only thing I knew coming in was Ellie and Joel's names. Hopefully that changes as the game goes on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This could probably use better phrasing.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Ulio posted:

Just started Last of Us remastered. Like 3-4 hour in, it's pretty good thus far even though I had really high expectations. The atmosphere and the world feels really great, reminds me like the best of Walking Dead and I Am Legend in terms of setting. The presentation and production is top notch as usual for Naughty Dog, although I just played Uncharted 4 but that is their newer game so it's a bit better there. Also there is actual gameplay unlike Uncharted which is the most generic TPS ever. The survival/stealth mechanics are nothing new but the atmosphere ND puts in the game really elevates it.

That being said so far I feel like the story up to this point has been fairly predictable. The only thing I knew coming in was Ellie and Joel's names. Hopefully that changes as the game goes on.

Yea, I was surprised to see the game is 13 hours long. Being the same amount into the game means we'll be done with it before we know it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lobok posted:

This could probably use better phrasing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDYJO-1IhN8

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Why does this look worse than the 30-year-old Z

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
drat Genichiro is a complete roadblock for me, he feels so satisfying to fight but man im being schooled. He's the first boss I've taken more than 2 "sessions" to beat.

I feel i can dodge his overhead slam and his grab 95% but when he steps back, jumps then shoots he gets me every time.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ulio posted:

Last of Us was one of a very slim volume of games that my wife wanted to watch me play from beginning to end, ie, I could do what I want and play without her, but it would have been on par with skipping ahead on a show we were both watching. Mainly she either doesn't care at all, or she'll maybe look up if it sounds like something wacky is happening, so that really says something about the quality of presentation. Doubly so because she's way over anything zombie or zombie-adjacent.

I think predictability isn't really a bad thing if you nail the telling, which Naughty Dog generally does. They've also never told a story that I'd rate better than "aggressively competent FX series", but in the world of video game development just being reliably adequate at conveying a story like an adult speaking their native language basically makes you Steven Soderbergh.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

drat Genichiro is a complete roadblock for me, he feels so satisfying to fight but man im being schooled. He's the first boss I've taken more than 2 "sessions" to beat.

I feel i can dodge his overhead slam and his grab 95% but when he steps back, jumps then shoots he gets me every time.

Hesitation is defeat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It took me like... a week to beat him. Keep at it! It was the most satisfying victory in any game I can remember when I beat him

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There is great honor in holding circle and dashing around like an idiot so that enemies have a harder time tracking you.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
LMAO Roche is such a dumb, fun character. Reminds me of some of the dumb poo poo from MGS3 with the motorcycle ridiculousness.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you can block his arrows FYI, you dont have to dodge.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Last Dragon Ball I've watched was still with Boo or whatever was called the pink (chunky then slim then chunky?) villain. I know this is out of context but what the gently caress?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

What is the thinking behind it? Like I'd be way more likely to buy that awesome loving game with the spooky red cover and distant chainsaw maniac than the one with some dude and his mates chilling.

This is mostly a guess on my part, but I think it's a mix of two things 1. I think marketers are under the impression that a cover should show how awesome the graphics are or people won't buy it. and 2. the same reason American movie covers are so bad, because they all need to showcase the stars to get people to bite.

It probably all boils down to some bullshit statistic that gets thrown around at marketing meetings. My guess is that it doesn't actually improve sales at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guillermus posted:

Last Dragon Ball I've watched was still with Boo or whatever was called the pink (chunky then slim then chunky?) villain. I know this is out of context but what the gently caress?

"Goku Black" is a bad guy during that storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

"Goku Black" is a bad guy during that storyline.

Oh, ok. So I guess they didn't really think much about how to make a new villain and they came up with that. I may check the PYF meme thread because I'm sure that this exact clip is there.