Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

no i just mean a samurai would kill them all with his sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Stairmaster posted:

Niko Style can deflect bullets, you don't think it can handle a big metal pig sticker?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Niko Style can deflect bullets, you don't think it can handle a big metal pig sticker?

Ah but a sword has... Honor!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Stairmaster posted:

Kanade's style is specifically designed against armed and armored opponents, he'd takedown the samurai and shank them with their own sword.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Might be a reference to Baki Dou where they revive Musashi, the historical samurai dude, who then proceeds to wipe the floor with a buncha named characters.

That entire arc is one fever dream we will never wake up from. RIP Retsu

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Baki has been in a constant acid trip since the Pickle arc and it's great.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
New chapter

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
All 4-komas are canon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So each have used a flashback, who ever uses a flashback next loses

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So each have used a flashback, who ever uses a flashback next loses

It's neck and neck!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Gaolong hasn't even kicked yet.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Don't worry loves, Fisherman Grandpa is here

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Unless Sandrovich goes completely off base here. Gaolang is guaranteed to win and I'm surprised Carlos wasn't floored by that clean hit given how just a chapter ago they were making the point about the weight disparity

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think Carlos is holding a tragic backstory flashback just for this moment. He might win

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Fisherman and Gaolang had the best friendship in the 4-komas, so glad it's canon :allears:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

Gaolong hasn't even kicked yet.

Has he ever kicked? Is there a reason he holds back on it so hard?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a boxer, not a kickboxer.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Caidin posted:

Gaolong definitely kicked (and kneed) in the fight vs Fang in Ashura! He's definitely still primarily a puncher.

I remember when he revealed it he was like I'll show you something beyond boxing/muay thai, and everyone watching was like that's not muay thai, but I can't remember what it actually was. Or maybe they meant he just melded muay thai and boxing together in his own way?

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Caidin posted:

Yeah, he uses it against Agito to control his opponent's movement and actions to setup his boxing.
- e-
it's explained in chapter 168.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Well then! Been meaning to re-read the beard fights, may as well go back over the whole Asura tournament while I'm at it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Caidin posted:

Well then! Been meaning to re-read the beard fights, may as well go back over the whole Asura tournament while I'm at it.

I recently reread all of Asura, it's definitely worth doing. It was hard to really appreciate some of those fights, since we were getting on chapter a day for like the whole back half of the series.

The only fights I didn't really enjoy were Mikazuchi Rei's, his whole "I'm the fastest man alive" thing just felt like it kept more interesting characters from being able to show what they can do. His fight with Kuroki is great, though, especially the bit where Kuroki just holds out his fist and lets Rei run into it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Begemot posted:

I recently reread all of Asura, it's definitely worth doing. It was hard to really appreciate some of those fights, since we were getting on chapter a day for like the whole back half of the series.

The only fights I didn't really enjoy were Mikazuchi Rei's, his whole "I'm the fastest man alive" thing just felt like it kept more interesting characters from being able to show what they can do. His fight with Kuroki is great, though, especially the bit where Kuroki just holds out his fist and lets Rei run into it.

Rei beating Saw Paing is probably the only fight where I was really annoyed with the result and I'm glad Kuroki beat him down.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/fallenleo/status/1259982680369901569

https://twitter.com/daromeon/status/1260489003314417665

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hell yeah

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

That entire arc is one fever dream we will never wake up from. RIP Retsu

remember the time the clone of Miyamoto Musashi used Baki as a sword

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
New chapters up.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/906990/1

I guess we'll find out if it's a win or a tie or what next week but all the same... Carlos kinda sucks.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I can see why Nicolas Le Banner wants Kengan rules because this is weak stuff. I'm not really going to humor the story trying to make Gaolang out to be ill-fit for underground battles when he's already fought in a literal battle to the death with someone like Agito and god knows who else just in service of his king. If he doesn't get the win I'm out.

il-landier posted:

remember the time the clone of Miyamoto Musashi used Baki as a sword

It was fun when he became a sword but still, Baki's already been a nunchuck.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
idk i don't think "there are very important rule differences that he isn't used to" is quite the same thing as "he's poorly suited to underground fights".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Inflammatory posted:

idk i don't think "there are very important rule differences that he isn't used to" is quite the same thing as "he's poorly suited to underground fights".

Yeah it's more that the Kengan fighters are not acquainted with the ringout feature, although this might be their waking call. A real bullshit win/tie but a smart move from Medel which may lead to more pressure in the future fights.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Carlos most likely tied but look at his loving face. He looks like the guy Raian killed with the kusarigama back in Asura

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

That's ignoring both Carlos' derision for Gaolang and the fact that he is the former public champion who has now fully committed to fighting in underground matches in contrast to his current opponent. I could just be making a bad read but I have a feeling someone else will make a similar rebuff on gaolang in the next chapter not because he didn't pay attention for the ringout, but because his mindset never let him consider it being a public fighter and that kind of annoys me on top of Purgatory seriously being proud that they use ringouts like this

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Brought To You By posted:

That's ignoring both Carlos' derision for Gaolang and the fact that he is the former public champion who has now fully committed to fighting in underground matches in contrast to his current opponent. I could just be making a bad read but I have a feeling someone else will make a similar rebuff on gaolang in the next chapter not because he didn't pay attention for the ringout, but because his mindset never let him consider it being a public fighter and that kind of annoys me on top of Purgatory seriously being proud that they use ringouts like this

carlos does look down on goalang, this is true. then five seconds later he gets his entire loving face caved in. i don't think you're supposed to agree with him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

carlos does look down on goalang, this is true. then five seconds later he gets his entire loving face caved in. i don't think you're supposed to agree with him.

But the thing is he's not really wrong overall. Okubo and Gaolang are the two people whose fighting history has been predominantly legal. I'm just waiting to see how this fight is ruled and how the kengan side reacts. I can easily see the bookish Makasi and Nitoku saying this was something they saw happening down the line

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Kind of weird that Gaolong didn't consider rules and technicalities such as the possibility of a ringout when he's a) a a famous public fighter and b) he won his match against Saw Paing when he was a teenager through judges ruling in his favor

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

yum posted:

Kind of weird that Gaolong didn't consider rules and technicalities such as the possibility of a ringout when he's a) a a famous public fighter and b) he won his match against Saw Paing when he was a teenager through judges ruling in his favor

Boxing rings have ropes on the edge. And the Saw Paing match was timed, Gaolong won on points because he did more offense.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Probably the worst and dumbest conclusion to a fight in this series so far. Oh well, maybe next chapter will redeem it.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Gonna call it now: Gaolang broke their fall with his arm, so he touched the outside of the ring first; Carlos wins on ring-out.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

AtomikKrab posted:

Boxing rings have ropes on the edge. And the Saw Paing match was timed, Gaolong won on points because he did more offense.

Fair enough I guess I expected more from Gaolong, who isn't a meathead character. I could easily see this happening with Rihito

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

They called it a double ringout, I think it'll just get chalked up as a tie. Since it's not a tournament, they can just have ties. I don't mind this outcome too much, Gaolang was clearly dominating but Carlos got to take advantage of the rules he's more familiar with. Plus, this way we start off without either side being ahead on the score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I do find it absolutely goddamn hilarious that the leadup to this conclusion was "This is Purgatory! Carlos will show them the true expertise of a Purgatory fighter!" *Carlos proceeds to get the entire front of his skull caved in like someone smashed him with a sledgehammer, but achieves a double ring out* "Woo, Carlos! Purgatory! Yeah!"