Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What exactly is supposed to be different about his cut though? Is it just general tone and some dialogue, or were there whole scenes that just went unfilmed after Whedon took over?

That movie is so overstuffed as is that I can’t imagine adding even more poo poo would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What exactly is supposed to be different about his cut though? Is it just general tone and some dialogue, or were there whole scenes that just went unfilmed after Whedon took over?

That movie is so overstuffed as is that I can’t imagine adding even more poo poo would help.

Supposedly Whedon reshot 75% of the film.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Probably CGI Steppenwolf back into a weird, hammerhead shark looking dude

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly Whedon reshot 75% of the film.

If that’s true then what the gently caress would the Snyder Cut even be? A 45 minute workprint made out of dailies and animatics?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want them to reshoot everything but it's done in a week so everyone is out of shape and has different hair

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If that’s true then what the gently caress would the Snyder Cut even be? A 45 minute workprint made out of dailies and animatics?

SUPPOSEDLY he delivered a near complete film that WB hated which is why they fired him and Whedon reshot the film. I hope it's true and the new version is totally different footage.

Retro Futurist posted:

I want them to reshoot everything but it's done in a week so everyone is out of shape and has different hair

Watch the Batman scenes and compare them to BvS. Ben was clearly back on the sauce as he was pudgy as gently caress.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The whole thing is re-cut to include Stephen Amell, Grant Gustin, and Melissa Benoist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Also, remotely, so everyone has homemade green screens behind them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

The whole thing is re-cut to include Stephen Amell, Grant Gustin, and Melissa Benoist.

And put in John Cryer as Lex at the end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

SUPPOSEDLY he delivered a near complete film that WB hated which is why they fired him and Whedon reshot the film. I hope it's true and the new version is totally different footage.
AFAIK there's stuff where Cyborg's father dies, Cyborg gets tempted by the Motherbox and has a vision of being an athlete again, Flash saves Iris, WW kills Steppenwulf, and the beginning is a retelling of Darkseid getting trampled by the Amazon/Atlantean/GL Corps/God alliance. And that whole Russian Family poo poo is a Whedon addition whole cloth.

There's enough to change the film in an interesting way. And that's before we get into Snyder's cinematography.

Honestly I wondered why they didn't just release something in graphic novel format, but enough people want to see his visuals as much as his story.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snyder also apparently had some J'onn stuff.

Phylodox posted:

Every Supergirl scene she's either holding a large cake, or standing behind a low wall.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

And put in John Cryer as Lex at the end.

I'll tell you what, re-shoot that after-credits scene with Cryer and Manu Bennett and I'll fuckin' pay for an HBO streaming service subscription, no joke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

AFAIK there's stuff where Cyborg's father dies, Cyborg gets tempted by the Motherbox and has a vision of being an athlete again, Flash saves Iris, WW kills Steppenwulf, and the beginning is a retelling of Darkseid getting trampled by the Amazon/Atlantean/GL Corps/God alliance. And that whole Russian Family poo poo is a Whedon addition whole cloth.

There's enough to change the film in an interesting way. And that's before we get into Snyder's cinematography.

Honestly I wondered why they didn't just release something in graphic novel format, but enough people want to see his visuals as much as his story.

There have been a few mentions of various things like Affleck having to re shoot more than half of his scenes and obviously ALL the Superman scenes were cut and rewritten.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Phylodox posted:

You forgot Matt Ryan.

Just insert Constantine on every scene.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

There have been a few mentions of various things like Affleck having to re shoot more than half of his scenes and obviously ALL the Superman scenes were cut and rewritten.
Ohhhh right, I forgot Black Resurrection Suit superman as well.

Means we lose that scene where Flash realizes Clark can not only see him in superspeed but also match him move for move.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were also rumors of Green Lantern poo poo in present day as well. Hell I bet if we trolled through the old CD thread there's tons of stuff that was dropped.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

You forgot Matt Ryan.

Just insert Constantine on every scene.

No, after credits scene has a car pull up in front of the Justice League. The window rolls down and we see Nick Zano, Matt Ryan, and Dominic Purcell in the back. Caity Lotz leans out the driver's side window and says, "Get in, losers, we're gonna go punch the devil!"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Phylodox posted:

No, after credits scene has a car pull up in front of the Justice League. The window rolls down and we see Nick Zano, Matt Ryan, and Dominic Purcell in the back. Caity Lotz leans out the driver's side window and says, "Get in, losers, we're gonna go punch the devil!"

And then cut right away to a scene of Tom Ellis. Shirtless.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

Cut to a scene of Tom Ellis. Shirtless.

Gotta save something for the sequel.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

And now I need a CW movie so bad.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Why does everyone keep thinking Snyder's beliefs are the opposite of what he keeps saying and putting in his work. The guy is not a secret triple-satirical mystery genius. He is very literal.

Like he puts the most obvious possible theming in his movies and people keep pretending he must be deconstructing or satirizing what he's saying because they can't accept what he's spelling out in the most unsubtle way possible. It's mind boggling.

This is correct, Zack has all the sublety of a sledgehammer, but people still manage to jump through hoops to try to justify the "randian objectivist" nonsense.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

And now I need a CW movie so bad.

They do one every year. This year's was called "Crisis on Infinite Earths".

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aphrodite posted:

Snyder also apparently had some J'onn stuff.

Rhyno posted:

There were also rumors of Green Lantern poo poo in present day as well. Hell I bet if we trolled through the old CD thread there's tons of stuff that was dropped.
Just to highlight/reiterate the latter end of this: a lot of this was "dropped" in the sense of "it literally never went past concepts and storyboards." Snyder revealed all these little tidbits of BTS ideas and previzes through the years, and the generous interpretation is that he was being cool to the fans who deserved these kinds of treats, except that of course the reaction from the cult became "omigod I can't believe we were definitely one-hundred percent for certain going to get Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern and the greedy WB shills robbed us!!" which is the persisting mindset that led us here to where we are today.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Phylodox posted:

Just imagine if they had the time and budget the feature films do when they were making Crisis.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

howe_sam posted:

Just imagine if they had the time and budget the feature films do when they were making Crisis.

I don't think it would work. Half the appeal of the CW DC shows is that they're so cheap and schlocky and fun. They harken back to, like, the late-90s/early-00s made-for-syndication adventure shows like Highlander, Birds of Prey, and Relic Hunter. Looking like a big budget blockbuster film wouldn't enhance that in any real way, it would just highlight how cheesy everything else about it is.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still don't know what all the release the snyder cut guys think of BVS. He was allowed to make his own movie, but it was a giant turd. Do they all think the movie was secretly great or something?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Monaghan posted:

I still don't know what all the release the snyder cut guys think of BVS. He was allowed to make his own movie, but it was a giant turd. Do they all think the movie was secretly great or something?

They liked it. Taste is subjective. It's not hard to understand.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phylodox posted:

I don't think it would work. Half the appeal of the CW DC shows is that they're so cheap and schlocky and fun. They harken back to, like, the late-90s/early-00s made-for-syndication adventure shows like Highlander, Birds of Prey, and Relic Hunter. Looking like a big budget blockbuster film wouldn't enhance that in any real way, it would just highlight how cheesy everything else about it is.

Yeah, Crisis worked in large part because it was a little bit silly and cheap. The Arrowverse people genuinely know what they are and don't overshoot and that makes it fun to just go with it when they go big. Trying to do the same thing with a big budget either transforms it into something else entirely or just makes it feel lame because it tried to be more than it was.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I really hated BvS in cinemas, but after much persuading, I watched the Ultimate Edition and surprised myself by really liking it.

Who would have thought that more of something I disliked would fix it?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot. That was a fun special.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Now today there is a report that a script is being written by Sony for a Jackpot movie. I have no idea who this character is.

https://www.ign.com/articles/jackpot-arrowverses-marc-guggenheim-scripting-spider-man-spin-off

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now today there is a report that a script is being written by Sony for a Jackpot movie. I have no idea who this character is.

https://www.ign.com/articles/jackpot-arrowverses-marc-guggenheim-scripting-spider-man-spin-off

The only thing I remember about the character is that when her design came out, everyone thought it was Mary Jane because she had red hair and that's a phrase MJ uses. Then it wasn't MJ. The end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

The only thing I remember about the character is that when her design came out, everyone thought it was Mary Jane because she had red hair and that's a phrase MJ uses. Then it wasn't MJ. The end.

Yeah, Jackpot's a character who might - might - show up in a new Contest of Champions to provide more warm bodies. People have more of an attachment to Rocket Racer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Codependent Poster posted:

drat it, now you made me remember that time Marvel erased Spider-Man's entire life and then introduced a vigilante who looked, talked, and acted like MJ but fakeout she's not MJ and close book

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Does Sony have rights to any of the iterations of Spider-Women (Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter?) You'd think they'd try to make them into movies instead of a character I keep confusing with DC's Roulette.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Supposedly no to 616 Jessica, but yes Ultimate Jessica.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There were a lot of really lovely posts in this thread today while I was doing other things. I hope it's out of your systems but just in case:

1) If you're going to ascribe a political philosophy to an artist, especially a really contentious and broadly odious one like Objectivism, either be prepared to defend that ascription or keep your hot take in your pocket and spare everybody else. Have something better than "he does Crossfit" for god's sake.

2) None of you are Zach Snyder afaik so there's no reason to take people poo poo-talking his movies as personally as some of you are. And especially don't use his kid's death as a cudgel against people who don't like his stuff.

Please chill out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I just assumed the reason Drew hasn't been used by the MCU in Jessica Jones, SHIELD, or Captain Marvel stuff was her being in the Spider-Man/Sony block.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I think I just assumed the reason Drew hasn't been used by the MCU in Jessica Jones, SHIELD, or Captain Marvel stuff was her being in the Spider-Man/Sony block.

"We can't have TWO characters named Jessica!" seems like something that would stop studios from using Drew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the Spider-Woman thing is complicated. Like Marvel can use Jessica Drew but can't call her Spider-Woman, and if you want to use her like a secret agent/detective there are other characters that would probably fit in better without any confusion.