Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

The whole Olympic Village style of quarantining players away from their families for months to make these “playoffs” happen is hilarious

I hope Kessel gets to pick the movies that they have to watch on the Outdoor Big Screen

After this they'd probably all prefer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

It was a terrible trade but there was some reasoning behind it. The Islanders had just drafted DiPietro who was supposed to be the next big thing in goaltending and that meant the writing was on the wall for Luongo.

The best thing about this is how the Islanders not only managed to trade away a HOF goalie and blow a first overall pick, and the Rangers drafted a HOF goalie 205th in that draft.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Zodijackylite posted:

The best thing about this is how the Islanders not only managed to trade away a HOF goalie and blow a first overall pick, and the Rangers drafted a HOF goalie 205th in that draft.

Let's say the Isles don't make that deal, and they draft Heatley or Gaborik over DiPietro. Let's say they also don't trade for Yashin.

This is a team that would have Jokinen, Luongo, one of Heatley/Gaborik, Chara, and Spezza. They probably don't make the playoffs right away, as some of these guys took a little time to really make their mark. But, assuming they still become the players they are, that is such a great foundation post-lockout.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Let's say the Isles don't make that deal, and they draft Heatley or Gaborik over DiPietro. Let's say they also don't trade for Yashin.

This is a team that would have Jokinen, Luongo, one of Heatley/Gaborik, Chara, and Spezza. They probably don't make the playoffs right away, as some of these guys took a little time to really make their mark. But, assuming they still become the players they are, that is such a great foundation post-lockout.
They also made the really bad Bertuzzi and McCabe for Linden deal

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They also made the really bad Bertuzzi and McCabe for Linden deal

Mike Milbury should be locked up for his crimes.

Looking it up, he also traded away Dumont for basically nothing, and Berard for Potvin. The trade to get Olli Jokinen also involved Palffy who, at the time, had to be considered one of the most dangerous forwards in the league.

This could have been a stacked team.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Twin Cinema posted:

This could have been a stacked team.

:shepicide:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm sure Pierre will top it when he becomes the gm of, oh, let's say the Sharks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Twin Cinema posted:

This, but the complete opposite. It was great!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
"Come live in Edmonton for months. It will be cold and you won't be allowed to go to stores."

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I'm confused - so it's really like PLAY IN CQF CSF CF SCF in terms of playoff format?

Is the Play-In round a best of 7?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I think the play-in round is best of 5.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Make it a gauntlet with successively longer series. QF- go or go home, SF- best of 3, CF- best of 5, SCF- best of 7.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'd be so down with play-in games. Even in a normal season, if 2 teams are tied for the last playoff spot they should just ignore the tie breaking procedures and play it out. I would watch every game every year.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

CBJSprague24 posted:

Make it a gauntlet with successively longer series. QF- go or go home, SF- best of 3, CF- best of 5, SCF- best of 7.

That sounds fun.

Too bad none of this will ever happen, but a fun thought experiment.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'd be so down with play-in games. Even in a normal season, if 2 teams are tied for the last playoff spot they should just ignore the tie breaking procedures and play it out. I would watch every game every year.

this sounds like a fun, exciting, and marketable thing so there's basically no chance of the nhl doing it

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
lol the NBA gets to go to loving disney world and the NHL gets Edmonton

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

worst rendition of The Masque of the Red Death ever

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

After this they'd probably all prefer it.

Getting paid millions without having to deal with media or road (and home) team fans sounds like a pretty sweet deal

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1263643064498823168

e: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1263685346530865153

Kilza fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 22, 2020

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Getting paid millions without having to deal with media or road (and home) team fans sounds like a pretty sweet deal

They play for free in the playoffs!

Though league revenue collapsing should probably still matter to the players, too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mostly college games on the docket today

quote:

College Hockey
Men’s
2012 Frozen Diamond Faceoff
Michigan vs. Ohio State (01/15/2012) — Big Ten Network, 8 a.m.

2010 Camp Randall Classic
Michigan at Wisconsin (02/06/2010) — Big Ten Network, 10:30 a.m.

The Big Chill at the Big House
Michigan State at Michigan (12/11/2010) — Big Ten Network, 12:30 p.m.

2014 Hockey City Classic
Ohio State at Minnesota (01/18/2014) — Big Ten Network, 3 p.m.

NHL
1988 Stanley Cup Final
Game 3: Edmonton Oilers at Boston Bruins (05/22/1988) — NHL Network, 5 p.m.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why is the NHLPA even vaguely considering a vote on a return to work without at or near unanimous consent from its members?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

99% likely it's because they have to and can't change the procedure.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
I'm still confused as to what this vote is actually binding upon. My understanding is that right now they're just voting on the play format if they were to return this summer, and not actually on whether or not to return?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

goldrush posted:

I'm still confused as to what this vote is actually binding upon. My understanding is that right now they're just voting on the play format if they were to return this summer, and not actually on whether or not to return?

They're voting on the new playoff format, isolation in hub cities, COVID related restrictions and more broadly the concept of returning this year at all. It's not necessarily a binding vote on a set return date, but it's a defacto referendum on the concept of completing the 2019/20 season this summer. Any future vote on a specific time frame would just be a rubber stamp and the actual decision is being made as we speak.

I think the appropriate course of action isn't to return or at the very least continue to wait things out. The league is gung ho to resume, it doesn't sound like the players are. At least not the vast majority.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Supposedly in the NBA the number of players who wanted to resume vs not was 70/30. So a clear majority but 30% is a big big number if it's players who don't want to risk it

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Each day, I get more and more annoyed that its 24 teams when only Detroit was officially eliminated. Make it a 30-team playoff and give the Wings Lafrenière as consolation.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mr. Kite posted:

Each day, I get more and more annoyed that its 24 teams when only Detroit was officially eliminated. Make it a 30-team playoff and give the Wings Lafrenière as consolation.

agreed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Supposedly in the NBA the number of players who wanted to resume vs not was 70/30. So a clear majority but 30% is a big big number if it's players who don't want to risk it

That's basically the split between players whose jobs in the league and personal finances are secure going a couple years forward (30%) vs. not (70%)

Mr. Kite posted:

The 24 team playoff cuts out the teams that were more than 10 points out of a playoff spot when play ended, it's perfectly fair.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 22, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like it should be kind of a no brainer to go stay in a nice hotel for a few months while getting paid gobs of money to play hockey, assuming proper precautions and whatnot are in place.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Even if the Kings went 12-0-0 they'd still only have a 2% chance of making the playoffs. I think it's fair to exclude a bunch of teams like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bewbies posted:

I feel like it should be kind of a no brainer to go stay in a nice hotel for a few months while getting paid gobs of money to play hockey, assuming proper precautions and whatnot are in place.

They don't get paid for the playoffs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

bewbies posted:

And therein, as the bard would tell us, lies the rub.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

They don't get paid for the playoffs.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-player-playoff-compensation/

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

According to freidman the players voted down a 3 game play in because they're afraid of price and his terrifying 908. Lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Right. The same amount they'd get paid sitting safely at home, except for the nothing bonus.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I think the players know how badly the owners will bone them on the revenue if they don’t play. That said, there should be full transparency for the players to make this decision, and I would not blame them if they elected not to play.

Is there anything in the CBA that protects the players in the event of a shortened season ala force majeure, etc?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

I would not blame them if they elected not to play.

Sadly every dude in a backwards Jets hat and Grizzlies jersey on twitter would repeatedly call them selfish bums who should be honoured to be playing the game until they were shamed into voting to resume the season.

The NHL holds all the cards here. The only ones the NHLPA has are strength in unity and asking for a delay until more information is available. They seem to have discarded both.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's exactly what they want you to think. Then they drop Shining Light Angel and can play the cards direct from the discard pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cocaine Bear posted:

That sounds fun.

Too bad none of this will ever happen, but a fun thought experiment.

It's either that or, for speed and because we're shaking it up anyway, one-game series all the way to the Cup...but then that felt wrong, as I feel like you'd have to have a series for the Cup.