Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Saint Celestine posted:

Road mobile ballistic missiles, are the trailers a one-time use? As in launching it destroys it?

The trailer gets reused, the can is single use although it can be recovered and refurbished/reused if you're so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Where are the crew when this is happening?

Have they beat feat half a mile, or are they cowering in the (hopefully) safety of the cabin.

I'm assuming that exhaust cloud is super-toxic.

If it's anything like the solid fuel blend used for Polaris and the shuttle SRB's there's a fair bit of hydrochloric acid in the exhaust stream

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I didn't believe it either but an almost identical message is on their website.

Dude, keeping up with all that security stuff is a hassle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Yep. The F-22 was from the 325th Fighter Wing at Tyndall though...still displaced to Eglin from the hurricane that wiped Tyndall off the planet. So it's probably an insane coincidence.

Edit: Gmail is way more reliable than the average base network.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I never put two and two together but the AMX-30 B2 Brennus upgrade package is named after the Gallic war chief who annihilated a Roman army and sacked Rome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kind of an odd choice, since he was violently and combustively removed by Camilus a bit later.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Vercingetorix was humiliated by one of history’s most revered figures, and that’s never stopped France from putting him on a pedestal.

Boudica’s legacy is similar.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Vercingetorix was humiliated by one of history’s most revered figures, and that’s never stopped France from putting him on a pedestal.

Boudica’s legacy is similar.

Those were defenders of a homeland, not a guy who ventured far from home and ended up in a burning pile of corpses with hundreds/thousands of his countrymen.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Platystemon posted:

Is it a sensitive question to ask why some Gaul is lionized when we all know the French are descended from the Franks?

Also I have something upsetting to report. You remember the Hunt for Red October, "shome of these thingsh don't react well to bullets?"

LIES

The missile tubes don't connect with the pressure hulls

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I always assumed he was talking about setting off the missile warheads/propellant, which doesn't seem very likely either, I guesx.

Edit: oh, I see taking a closer look, that whole room was made up.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 21, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And in the original text the Red October rams the Konovalov rather than playing chicken with it.

But I think I remember from the commentary track on the anniversary edition DVD that they had no public intel that the missiles were kept separate from the pressure hulls, so they went with the room full of menacing red dongs.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I only recently learned the The Hunt for Red October was based on an actual event involving a mutiny on a Soviet destroyer. This video tells the story pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYpMGeCwSM0

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is it a sensitive question to ask why some Gaul is lionized when we all know the French are descended from the Franks?

Also I have something upsetting to report. You remember the Hunt for Red October, "shome of these thingsh don't react well to bullets?"

LIES

The missile tubes don't connect with the pressure hulls

Neat. Pretty sure they do on an Ohio. Wonder why the Soviets went with such a design. Wikipedia says it simplifies the design but it seems like it would create it's own problems.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Neat. Pretty sure they do on an Ohio. Wonder why the Soviets went with such a design. Wikipedia says it simplifies the design but it seems like it would create it's own problems.

I'm guessing it simplifies the design of the actual pressure hulls, since you don't need to have a couple dozen large diameter holes in the pressure hulls where people live to account for running the tubes inside them. Still disappointing to learn after watching the movie, its a pretty cool scene.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rob Rockley posted:

Still disappointing to learn after watching the movie, its a pretty cool scene.

This made me realize Hunt for Red October and Under Siege are the same story told from different perspectives. Both have secret operatives posing as cooks who try to thwart a mutinous crew from stealing nuclear weapons.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Some quick videos on the FFG(X) that cover things like why the 57mm and what Marinette is going to do to build them

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_a1ce81LA

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_h2wvccz0k

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5T9ee7Gjys

brains
May 12, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Rob Rockley posted:

I'm guessing it simplifies the design of the actual pressure hulls, since you don't need to have a couple dozen large diameter holes in the pressure hulls where people live to account for running the tubes inside them. Still disappointing to learn after watching the movie, its a pretty cool scene.

it's due to physics- a completely round cross section can withstand more total pressure than a box with rounded corners or even an oval. it was much stronger to make two main pressure hulls than one large one for the whole interior volume (which is absurdly enormous on the typhoons).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mazz posted:

Some quick videos on the FFG(X) that cover things like why the 57mm and what Marinette is going to do to build them

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_a1ce81LA

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_h2wvccz0k

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5T9ee7Gjys

This is interesting, thanks for posting.

Several people mention that the ship is primarily an ASW vessel, but as far I can tell it has no torpedoes. Do the helicopters do all the actual sub-killing and the ship is just a base/mothership for them, or can some sort of ASW thing get shot out of the VLS tubes?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Several people mention that the ship is primarily an ASW vessel, but as far I can tell it has no torpedoes. Do the helicopters do all the actual sub-killing and the ship is just a base/mothership for them, or can some sort of ASW thing get shot out of the VLS tubes?

Conceptually, I prefer the idea of killing submarines with an air platform because subs are poorly equipped to fire back, but id guess they get underway with some of these.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

howe_sam posted:

This made me realize Hunt for Red October and Under Siege are the same story told from different perspectives. Both have secret operatives posing as cooks who try to thwart a mutinous crew from stealing nuclear weapons.

The creepier realization is that Hunt for Red October might be a story pieced together from bits and bobs of rumors about K-129 and the possibility that it’s crew had gone rogue and sank after failing to defeat fail-safes during an attempt to launch on Pearl Harbor in 1968.

:tinfoil:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
:stare:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Active shooter was just “neutralized” at NAS Corpus Christi. No word on casualties or who the person was or anything yet.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
One injured, security staff. Occurred at the North Gate

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Active shooter was just “neutralized” at NAS Corpus Christi. No word on casualties or who the person was or anything yet.

They gave him Swiss citizenship?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

joat mon posted:

They gave him Swiss citizenship?

Ok I laughed at this

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Host nation government has got to be thrilled at this show of confidence in their stability:
https://twitter.com/chinainmena/status/1263466331254542337

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trump has announced he's telling the Russians tomorrow (?) he's withdrawing from the open skies treaty

e:

quote:

American officials also note that Mr. Trump was angered by a Russian flight directly over his Bedminster, N.J., golf estate, in 2017.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 21, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think that if you want to engage a submarine you are going to do it at a distance. If you need to launch a torpedo that travels for two hours to get to where you think you saw something it's probably not going to be particularly effective.

That said, according to wikipedia there is a VLS launched torpedo in the US arsenal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RUM-139_VL-ASROC

So, probably something suspicious spotted then send a helo to check it out with dipping sonar, sonobouys and engage if needed.

If firm contact and need to engage right now hit it with a rocket launched torpedo.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Murgos posted:

I think that if you want to engage a submarine you are going to do it at a distance. If you need to launch a torpedo that travels for two hours to get to where you think you saw something it's probably not going to be particularly effective.

That said, according to wikipedia there is a VLS launched torpedo in the US arsenal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RUM-139_VL-ASROC

So, probably something suspicious spotted then send a helo to check it out with dipping sonar, sonobouys and engage if needed.

If firm contact and need to engage right now hit it with a rocket launched torpedo.

Aren't torpedoes on modern ships, basically extra reloads for the helicopters, with an option to launch from the rack?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cat Hatter posted:

Neat. Pretty sure they do on an Ohio.

They do:

I got a VIP tour of the USS Henry M Jackson in the late 90s; it was a weird feeling to walk through the room/between the tubes. One of the sailors told me they do diving drills that put the boat at an odd angle and then ride mattresses like sleds down the room.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

vuk83 posted:

Aren't torpedoes on modern ships, basically extra reloads for the helicopters, with an option to launch from the rack?

Mostly yes, but they are lightweight torpedos and not the full size 21-inchers fired from subs. ASROC also uses the same torpedo (depending on model) but you can't just open up the VLS tube and steal the torpedo off the end. At least I don't think so :v:

That being said I'm not sure if the FFG(X) has the torpedo racks like the Burkes do, so they may not have the option to directly fire the Mk46/54s they might have on board outside of whatever is in the VLS. I've never seen them referenced anywhere at least.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah, you're either going to VLS via ASROCs or fly out w/ the MH-60R/MQ-8C, whatever is onboard. As mentioned above there are modern deck torpedo launchers around but no idea if the FFG(X) has them. I would assume every FFG will have a couple ASROCs in the loadout but they could possibly just forego that for more SAMs given the 32 tube limit and focus on ASW via helicopter and other assets like P-8s.

Also the way it's presented is it's basically multi-mission, which a big lean towards independent operations (port calls and the like) that currently take a much more expensive Burke to fulfill. It's seemingly got the capability to do air defense, anti-surface, and anti-submarine work all pretty equally, or more specifically it doesn't seem like they shortchanged the design in any one of those to make it better at the others.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 21, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

aphid_licker posted:

Host nation government has got to be thrilled at this show of confidence in their stability:
https://twitter.com/chinainmena/status/1263466331254542337

90 degree corners are bad, this was figured out half a millennium ago.

Jesus Christ we're quitting Open Skies because they flew over his golf course?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Bring back star forts

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

90 degree corners are bad, this was figured out half a millennium ago.

Pompeo's been pushing it for a long time

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Godholio posted:

If you want any clearer indication that Trump is not on our team he has been pushing to get us out of Open Skies since he took office.

Open Skies is one of the most lopsided in the US favor treaties we have with Russia.

Open Skies allows the US to place observers on a Russian aircraft and overfly pretty much anywhere in Russia at short notice. It also allows Russia to do the same for the US. The treaty requires certain types of photographic equipment be made available as well.

It costs basically nothing.

It allows the US to confirm Russian troop and equipment movements and locations quickly and effectively without satellite assets.

It provides Russia basically nothing. The idea that it allows Russia to target US infrastructure more efficiently is ridiculous but if it did it also would allow the US to do the same with Russia.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godholio posted:

No, we’re doing it because it helps Russia.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

drgitlin posted:

No, we’re doing it because it helps Russia.

It's not that nefarious, because he'd have to be smarter to be that nefarious.

Trump doesn't understand "we give up a little to get a lot." Russia gets to fly over the US, so in his mind they're winning and we have to tear up the treaty that lets them do that. We trade with other countries and they get our money, so they're winning and we have to stop trading with them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OC-135 go brrrrr

OC-135, you're fired

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

aphid_licker posted:

Getting a real

vibe from that Forbes drawing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
But why does China need to build military fortresses I thought they were loved and welcomed by the populace with their gifts of infrastructure and no downsides whatsoever :confused: